Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Information Theory and Lotto

Topic closed. 61 replies. Last post 6 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2010, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

If you can describe it (and it's not too much workWink) someone may be able to answer it.

The 'divisible' one, I did by changing some work I already had, it's not something I normally use.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2010, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

I wish I could describe it.  I can not.  But the reason I like these kinds of expectations is the fact they usually are skewed one way or the other. 

Take a coin toss.  A fair coin will come up heads or tails in a 50-50 ratio.  I can not work with a 50-50 pattern; too much randomness.  However, take an unfair coin, one that comes up heads 65% of the time.  Now that I can work and win with.  I am hoping there are other theorems in number theory that are skewed one way or the other with respect to the lottery.  Just what these theorems might be is what I am searching for.

NASHVILLE, TENN
      United States
      Member #33372
      February 20, 2006
      1044 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2010, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Here is a concept that just came to me a few minutes ago which might mean something to somebody, somewhere.

On 2.18.10 in the Georgia P5 game, the drawn numbers were 10-15-16-33-34.  These 5 numbers sum to 108.

Out of the 5 drawn numbers, not one of them is a divisor of the sum.  By this I mean that not one of the drawn numbers will "go into" 108 evenly.

From all the drawn numbers in the (insert your favorite state here) lottery, how many draws lack one drawn number which is a divisor of the sum?

Are the results skewed?  Just looking at 15 consecutive Georgia draws, 4 qualified as not having a drawn number as a divisor of the sum.  If this ratio holds, the 4/15th ( about 25%) of all the draws will not have a drawn number as the divisor of the sum.

Kind of neat, huh?  Tomorrow, when I have more time, I will write an Excel program to find out.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
        Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2010, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

You know,  rundown99, I do not disagree with what you are saying.  What I do find loathsome is your refusal to allow others the freedom to consider alternatives. 

Earthquakes are random too.  That does not stop geologists from studying them, collecting data, looking for clues that would make predicting earthquakes an exact science.  Look what geologists have done with volcanoes!  Not thirty years ago volcanoes were also considered a random event.  Now we can predict within days when one is about to "blow".   Of course I am thinking of Mount Saint Helen.

So most of us here look for clues that would make predicting the lotto somewhat more exact than what we have now.  What could possibly be wrong with that?

GASMETERGUY I want to say thank-you for sharing all your ideas no matter how far fetched they may seem. One idea sparks another and someone may be able to pick up where you leave off.

Sitting around waiting for a QP to hit shouldn't be our only option.

RE: earthquakes....... I'm not sure what other states see when CA has an earthquake but in Ca after an earthquake turn on the TV. Within minutes there's ALWAYS a seismologist on the news talking about the quake.

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2010, 12:30 am - IP Logged

Here in Tennessee we see and hear that same seiamologist.  For all the talking he does, the one fact he points out is that no one saw "it" coming but there were instruments spread all over the place that did record some data and that he would be studying that data in the hopes of predicting future earthquakes. 

As far as my ideas being far fetched, you may be right.  However I am only giving you the ideas I had many long years ago.  Today I am looking for a way to thread all those ideas into one profitable algorithym.  One aspect I discovered concerns  those 50-50 patterns.  I can not work with a 50-50 pattern.  I have not found a way to determine if the next result would be below or above 50% with any degree of accuracy.   Those 70-30 patterns are a different story.  One can just about predict them accurately.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2010, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Here in Tennessee we see and hear that same seiamologist.  For all the talking he does, the one fact he points out is that no one saw "it" coming but there were instruments spread all over the place that did record some data and that he would be studying that data in the hopes of predicting future earthquakes. 

As far as my ideas being far fetched, you may be right.  However I am only giving you the ideas I had many long years ago.  Today I am looking for a way to thread all those ideas into one profitable algorithym.  One aspect I discovered concerns  those 50-50 patterns.  I can not work with a 50-50 pattern.  I have not found a way to determine if the next result would be below or above 50% with any degree of accuracy.   Those 70-30 patterns are a different story.  One can just about predict them accurately.

Oh I don't want to give you the wrong impression.  When I say far fetched I'm talking about other than the usual stuff.

Still I'm thankful that your willing to share your ideas and try to get input on them.

I get the feeling there's a few posters on LP that know a whole lot more than they're willing to share.

As far as the seismologist the one I'm thinking of was a lady. They actually show the lines recorded by the machine and she talks about what fault line the quake was on as well as what type of movement it was plus of course the magnitude. This lady knows her stuff. Actually the machines are constantly recording movement...it just takes alot more movement to feel it.

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2010, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I do not think there is anyone here that is treading the path I am.  I feel that I am all alone.  When I make a post regarding patterns and how we might deal with them, I get no replies.  I put this up in the hopes that someone might look at 5 numbers and make an observation.  Few have, which means I and perhaps two others are the only ones looking at what the numbers are trying to tell us. 

On another thread mention was made of the numbers "morphing".  I can agree with that observation.  So how can we stabilize the numbers?  My answer is to get past the numbers; get into something the numbers are telling us.  That something, to me, are patterns.  Patterns will not morph; they will not change.  Their value might change but not the pattern itself. 

Now the trick is to find the right patterns.  The second trick will be to figure out the best way to utilize those patterns.

(Sigh.)  I have a long, looong, way to go.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19816 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2010, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I do not think there is anyone here that is treading the path I am.  I feel that I am all alone.  When I make a post regarding patterns and how we might deal with them, I get no replies.  I put this up in the hopes that someone might look at 5 numbers and make an observation.  Few have, which means I and perhaps two others are the only ones looking at what the numbers are trying to tell us. 

On another thread mention was made of the numbers "morphing".  I can agree with that observation.  So how can we stabilize the numbers?  My answer is to get past the numbers; get into something the numbers are telling us.  That something, to me, are patterns.  Patterns will not morph; they will not change.  Their value might change but not the pattern itself. 

Now the trick is to find the right patterns.  The second trick will be to figure out the best way to utilize those patterns.

(Sigh.)  I have a long, looong, way to go.

Be patient, once you win a jackpot they will start paying more attention to your posts.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                  McKinney/Texas
                  United States
                  Member #47363
                  November 1, 2006
                  706 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2010, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Gasmeterguy, you are on the right path. I believe that whoever can relate FRACTALS to the lottery will

be the all time winner. As mortals, we all believe everything is random. However, the truth is NOTHING

IN THIS WORLD IS REALLY RANDOM. Just because no one has discovered the pattern yet does not mean

one does not exist.  The only success I have experienced playing Pick 3 and Pick 4 has been the use of

patterns. One software product I used helped me win by plotting 3 GRAPHS. I noticed a definite pattern, and

back tested it for the previous month, and was astounded by its UP AND DOWN consistency. I played $6

COMBO on nine numbers($54) and won big.  Did the same thing with another product, and for a short time

I had the best prediction rate here on LP. I revealed what I had learned to another player here in Texas

via a PM, and she shared it publicly. I also believe and know every state has 'COUNTER MEASURES'. When you

do win big, the good ole Lottery Commission always asks you, "So, what system did you use?"

Keep up the good work, and thanks for your sharing of information. Hope RAVEN62 responds. She is about

the most intelligent person on the planet, and is the only one I have ever seen to totally win here in Texas

a few years ago.

Ephesians 3:20

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: March 21, 2010, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, hennybogan.  I needed that

Brisbane
                      Australia
                      Member #83093
                      November 29, 2009
                      1 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2010, 7:14 am - IP Logged

Hi there GASMETERGUY,

I have been following this thread for a while now, just lurking in the background, and I want to offer you some advice.

I see that you are playing/analysing Georgia Fantasy 5 which is a (5/39) lottery game. If I were you I would start looking at the Georgia Win For Life lottery game. Georgia Win For Life is a (6/42 + 1 Bonus ball) lottery game.

Now before anyone says anything I can see that the Georgia Win For Life game doesn't pay the winnings for 1st or 2nd prize in a lump sum, it pays them out at either $1000 a week for life, and $1000 a week for a year. Hey if I won either prize I wouldn't care! I know that there are differences in the prize payout structure of each game but for the purposes of this post I want to put that aside and try and do a comparison between each game and what you might expect from playing/analysing each game.

Let's look at the odds of winning each game:

Georgia Fantasy 5 (5/39) 1 in 575,757

Georgia Win For Life (6/42) 1 in 5,245,786

In a straight comparison of the odds of winning each game your chances of winning Georgia Fantasy 5 are far greater than winning Georgia Win For Life.................or are they?

You see, comparing the odds of winning each game is ok if you are playing that lottery game, but I have found that they don't mean anything when you are analysing lotteries looking for patterns etc.

I have been studying/analysing/comparing the different lotteries here in Australia for a number of years. Our major games are Tattslotto/Lotto/Gold Lotto (6/45 + 2 bonus balls) the name varies in this game depending on which part of the country you live in, Ozlotto (7/45 + 2 bonus balls), Powerball (5/45 + 1/45). I would like to point out that I was looking at Powerball as a straight (5/45) game and not concerned with the Powerball at all.

I would start off analysing one lottery and if I found something I would look and see if I could find the same thing happening in the other two. Quite often I found similarities between Gold Lotto and Ozlotto but I could rarely find the same similarities in Powerball. If you look at the odds of winning each game you will see that there are big differences between all three.

Powerball 1 in 1,221,759 (I am treating this game as a straight 5/45 lottery game)

Gold Lotto 1 in 8,145,060

Ozlotto 1 in 45,379,620

Looking at the odds Powerball it should be the easiest game to win but I was baffled for ages about why I couldn't find any similarities between this game and the other two, seeing that the odds of winning this game are so much lower than the other two. Then it finally clicked that comparing the odds only matters when you are playing the actual lottery games not when you are analysing them. This is when I came up with what I call the “Lottery Ratio”.

The Lottery Ratio is just a simple percentage of the number of winning balls drawn in a lottery compared to the number of total balls in the lottery. It is a simple idea and I have found it to be a useful comparison between lotteries that you are analysing. When working out the Lottery Ratio you have to take into account any bonus balls that are drawn from the same machine. I will now show you the Lottery Ratio figures for each lottery in Australia.

Powerball = (5/45)*(100/1) = 11.11%

Gold Lotto = (8/45)*(100/1) = 17.77%

Ozlotto = (9/45)*(100/1) = 20.00%

Basically, the higher the Lottery Ratio the greater your chances are of finding patterns etc. in the lottery data. The lower the ratio means that your chances of finding a pattern etc. are reduced. Once the Ratio goes below 13% I have found that you are better off focussing your energy towards a lottery that has a higher ratio.

Since I discovered the Lottery Ratio I have found that it is useful to look at the inverse figure of this ratio which I call “Lottery Density”. It is also possible to look at Lottery Density graphically. I have made some images comparing the density of Australian lotteries which I haven't posted here but I would be glad to send them to people who are interested.

So looking at the Lottery Density figures for the Australian lotteries we get the following figures:

Powerball = 45/5 = 9

Gold Lotto = 45/8 = 5.625

Ozlotto = 45/9 = 5

The lottery Density of Powerball is 9. This means that there is one winning ball drawn for every nine balls that are in the lottery. If we look at the Lottery Density figures for Gold Lotto and Ozlotto we find that they are fairly similar (5.625 & 5 respectively) which is why I found similar patterns occuring in both. The figure for Powerball is way higher (less dense) which explains why I was unable to find any patterns within this lottery. The lower the figure returned for Lottery Density, the higher the density and the more chances you have of finding a pattern. The higher a figure returned for Lottery Density, the lower the density and the lower your chances of finding a pattern. I have found that once this figure gets above 7 or so you are better off focussing on a lottery with a higher density.

So looking now at Georgian lotteries we find the following:

Georgia Fantasy 5

Odds 1 in 575,757

Lottery Ratio = (5/39)*(100/1) = 12.82%

Lottery Density = 39/5 = 7.8

Georgia Win For Life

Odds 1 in 5,245,786

Lottery Ratio (7/42)*(100/1) = 16.66%

Lottery Density = 42/7 = 6

Georgia Fantasy 5 has a Lottery Ratio of 12.82% and a Lottery Density of 7.8, this basically means that your chances of finding a pattern in this lottery is very low. If we turn our attention to Georgia Win For Life we find that it has a Lottery Ratio of 16.66% and a Lottery Density of 6. This means that your chances of finding a pattern in this lottery are much higher than finding a pattern in Georgia Fantasy 5.

Another reason why you should consider Georgia Win for Life over Fantasy 5 is because in Georgia Win For Life there is a bonus ball drawn. With Georgia Fantasy 5 your chances of developing a system that gets all 5 of 5 numbers drawn are very slim. If your system was to get all 5 numbers it would probably only do it once or twice in a life-time. With Georgia Win For Life there is a bonus ball drawn, so therefore to win the major prize you have to develop a system that will get 6 out of 7 balls drawn. Your chances of developing a system to do this are far greater. Now I know that Fantasy Five is drawn every day and Win For Life is only drawn a couple of days a week, but putting all of this aside, your chances of developing a system to get 6 out of 7 are far greater than your chances of developing a system to get 5 out of 5. I'm no mathematician but your system to get 6 out of 7 could possibly hit once or twice a year, as compared to once or twice in a life-time. Now I know that there is a good chance that the 6 numbers that this system gets will more than likely contain the bonus ball, but because it is happening far more regularly there is a chance that one day you will hit all 6 numbers.

Anyway, I apologise for such a long post but hopefully you will find some of my research useful, and I would like to wish you all the best with your endeavours!.

Regards,

Grant

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2010, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

numbertree...

I like that name...cool name...i think about it all the time everytime i see a tree without leafs

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

NASHVILLE, TENN
                          United States
                          Member #33372
                          February 20, 2006
                          1044 Posts
                          Posted: April 1, 2010, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Numbertree, I read your post and agree with what you are thinking.  Right now I am applying my technique to the Georgia P5 game with the expectation that my algorithym will carry over to Powerball, MegaMillions, and all the P6 games with little or no modifications.  Georgia is my "test lab" so to speak.  Until the day arrives that I can truely say I can make the P5 game profitable, I will not be looking at any other lotto game.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I appreciated them.  I get so little feed-back from the members here which tells me I am treading the path less traveled.  And that is fine by me.  When I find the Yellow Brick Road I will know I am the only one on it.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                            United States
                            Member #33372
                            February 20, 2006
                            1044 Posts
                            Posted: April 26, 2010, 11:05 am - IP Logged

On another post mention was made of Padovan numbers.  I did a Yahoo search and found how these numbers were found.  I won't bother anyone with the formula mainly becuase I don't understand it myself.  For more information, look under "Do Patterns Form in Jackpot Games" in the Jackpot Games forum.

I incorporated this idea into my Georgia P5 Excel program.  I am still trying to determine whether this pattern is useful. 

I did notice that my example in my initial post does have a Padovan number; the number 9.  So that gives me another fact about Information Theory and the Lottery with which to work.

pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
                              Member #19982
                              August 9, 2005
                              226 Posts
                              Posted: April 28, 2010, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Hello GASMETERGUY:

I have read this entire thead. Patterns exist in jackpot games, however will they lower the number of combinations enough to win?

Hawk

*We may see something that isn’t there because of what we expect to see

Or conversely, we may not see something because we don’t expect to see it.*