Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it better to quick pick or choose your own #s (PB and MM)?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 7 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
Nashville, TN
United States
Member #86739
February 9, 2010
483 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2010, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

Long ago there was an article of 10 people who had hit the lottery (Powerball I think). The majority hit it via quick pick, so it seems this is the better option.

But sometimes when the machine chooses I have noticed lately it really really seems to bunch the numbers together (i.e 3 16 17 18 19 27) or some crap.

what is best?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2010, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

It depends on your strategy.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Blackdave's avatar - David 202015%202.jpg
      Morgan, TN
      United States
      Member #83248
      December 2, 2009
      1097 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2010, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Yea i read something about 80% of lottery winners have won from Quick picks.....Myself i get a few quick picks and pick my own numbers...i have a set that i play every game hopefully they will come up one day...i play them on mega millions and powerball...

$$$ You Gotta Lose Some To Win Some! $$$

United States
        Member #9579
        December 12, 2004
        2121 Posts
        Posted: February 18, 2010, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

that's how the lottery keeps control over who wins and who doesn't,and which states,as they allow the winners in quick picks!

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3501 Posts
          Posted: February 18, 2010, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

It makes no difference. The majority won with QP's because the majority of them played QP's. About 70 to 80% of tickets sold are QP's and 70 to 80% of winners are QP's. The lottery selects winning numbers, and if your ticket has the same numbers you win whether you picked the numbers yourself or let the terminal choose them.

Nashville, TN
            United States
            Member #86739
            February 9, 2010
            483 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2010, 10:41 am - IP Logged

True, but the majority of people choose numbers for a reason-- birthdays, holidays, personal stats, etc.

Yes, these numbers may eventually be chosen but since the winning numbers are more random they are less likely to hit.

if the majority played their own numbers I would bet they still would not win as much.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2010, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

whittling the odds from 1 in 190 Million to 1 in 95 million isn't doing much.

whittling the odds down to 1 in a thousand isn't much, either.

just go with your hunch and be done with it, or you will go brain-dead looking for a sure-fire system - that doesn't exist.

I have a great system, but it only bags me two numbers every week or so, and that's not good enough.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19903 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2010, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

When ever anyone asks "Is it better to quick pick or choose your own numbers", I agree with KY Floyd "It makes no difference".  If you're asking then you haven't gathered enough data or developed a system to convince yourself either way.  And while there are players who have opinions both ways, none seem to make a convincing argument.

I play MegaMillions and will play PowerBall when it's available locally.  I prefer to pick my own numbers and really believe I improve my chances of picking 3 of the winning numbers by a factor of 2 or 3 (3+0 and 2+1) but with their payouts hardly cover the cost of playing.  The odds of matching four or better are so great that improving those odds by the same factors would be hard to notice unless you got lucky and won a big prize.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Nashville, TN
                  United States
                  Member #86739
                  February 9, 2010
                  483 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2010, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

whittling the odds from 1 in 190 Million to 1 in 95 million isn't doing much.

whittling the odds down to 1 in a thousand isn't much, either.

just go with your hunch and be done with it, or you will go brain-dead looking for a sure-fire system - that doesn't exist.

I have a great system, but it only bags me two numbers every week or so, and that's not good enough.

True. I just play a mixture of both (couple bucks a week on each game) and hope for the best.

If your system is netting you 2 numbers you should play pick 5 if you arent already. That will at least get you your $ back.

And, I figure it does make a difference -- if most winners are winners by using quick pick, then there is a reason for that. Maybe the lottery does not remember (just as dice do not remember what was thrown in craps from one hand to the next), but we do remember. And if the stats dont lie that more people win via quick pick, it shows that system is better.

Also, the most I have hit on powerball was 3 + 1 for a $100 win. This was done via quick pick.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3501 Posts
                    Posted: February 22, 2010, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

"And, I figure it does make a difference -- if most winners are winners by using quick pick, then there is a reason for that"

Yeah, there's a reason. As I already said, 70 to 80% of tickets are QP's. Therefore 70 to 80% of winning tickets are QP's. 70 to 80% of losing  tickets are QP's, too.

Nashville, TN
                      United States
                      Member #86739
                      February 9, 2010
                      483 Posts
                      Posted: February 22, 2010, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

in my case, about 98% of qp's are losers.

I see what you are saying.

From a historical standpoint, If I had to only choose one way to pick my numbers going forward, I would probably choose QP everytime.

United States
                        Member #9579
                        December 12, 2004
                        2121 Posts
                        Posted: February 22, 2010, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

yes,the person on the way home after a hard days work,just says give me a quickpick.no time to study charts,etc. and the lottery knows this.i have quickpicks going back 8 years,and every drawing i go through these quickpicks,and still haven't found more then 2 numbers on every drawing.so,i guess i'm not buying them at the right place.i would enjoy seeing some quickpicks from pennsylvania,and big states before the drawings please!

wildspecks's avatar - Yavill
                          North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #79918
                          September 12, 2009
                          49 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2010, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

I haven't won big by any means, but I do much better selecting my own numbers.  I spent quite a bit on PB quick picks last weekend and didn't match a single number.  I don't think I've ever done that bad on my own.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1958 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2010, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I haven't won big by any means, but I do much better selecting my own numbers.  I spent quite a bit on PB quick picks last weekend and didn't match a single number.  I don't think I've ever done that bad on my own.

One time Powerball was something like $330M and I bought $50 worth of tickets. I didn't win anything. I didn't even match the Powerball because there were duplicates LOL.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19903 Posts
                              Posted: February 22, 2010, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

One time Powerball was something like $330M and I bought $50 worth of tickets. I didn't win anything. I didn't even match the Powerball because there were duplicates LOL.

Waiting to get lucky can take longer than a life time, sometimes you have to make your own luck.  If you had $50 to spend why didn't you cover every powerball?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking