Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it better to quick pick or choose your own #s (PB and MM)?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 7 years ago by scorpio.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
cosmotravis's avatar - f ssr.jpg

United States
Member #65357
September 25, 2008
96 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2010, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

have noticed lately it really really seems to bunch the numbers together (i.e 3 16 17 18 19 27) or some crap.

yes, and you will notice that the numbers drawn usually are like that too when these pots get bigger

United States
    Member #9579
    December 12, 2004
    2121 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2010, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

i think that all lotteries are doing great,as our town school budget passed on the first vote.it's like a volunteer tax they suck from us.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2010, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Some people discount quick picks saying the only reason they win more is because they sell more.

But if number picking systems are truly better, wouldn't they outperform quick picks?

If 70% of tickets sold are quick picks and 70% of winners are quick picks while 30% of tickets sold are player picks and 30% of winners are player picks, aren't they both equal?

Wouldn't one method have to outperform its sales percentage in order to prove it's better than the other?

It makes perfect sense to me. Quick picks have strength in numbers. It could be anyone who wins, but if the majority of tickets sold are quick picks, then the majority of winners would be quick picks. One thing to consider is that some of those self picks are played over and over by the same player. They have a playslip filled with numbers and keep playing those numbers each drawing. This means that there isn't some sort of analysis and strategy applied to those picks. So strategically, those self picks really aren't better than quick picks or vice versa. They're just numbers that those people just happen to choose to play over and over again.

Gonna win.Big Smile

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
        Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2010, 12:22 am - IP Logged

Some people discount quick picks saying the only reason they win more is because they sell more.

But if number picking systems are truly better, wouldn't they outperform quick picks?

If 70% of tickets sold are quick picks and 70% of winners are quick picks while 30% of tickets sold are player picks and 30% of winners are player picks, aren't they both equal?

Wouldn't one method have to outperform its sales percentage in order to prove it's better than the other?

Unfortunately not everyone that picks their own numbers uses "number picking systems" and as much as I hate QP's even a QP MAY give you a better spread of numbers than say a ticket made up of birthdays.

I would love to see the winners broken down this way........how many winners per every 1,000 tickets sold . (this number is an example) There would be a running total for QP's as well as SP's. 

It's true that QP's win more often but we don't know how many more LOL millions of QP tickets are sold for each draw.

It's obvious that if you have 2 pools of numbers........one made up of thousands of lines......the other made up of millions of lines......which one is more likely to have A winning line of numbers . That doesn't mean that your (individual) ticket has a better chance of winning.........it's simply part of a larger pool.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2010, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Long ago there was an article of 10 people who had hit the lottery (Powerball I think). The majority hit it via quick pick, so it seems this is the better option.

But sometimes when the machine chooses I have noticed lately it really really seems to bunch the numbers together (i.e 3 16 17 18 19 27) or some crap.

what is best?

I don't think one is better then the other, I think there is just a preference. I don't mind using quick picks sometimes, but usually, I get sets of numbers that...just don't look good. Yeah, I know that doesn't make sense logically and I know any set of numbers can come out, but that is how my mind works.

However, for me, I honestly prefer to choose my own numbers and I have won more money that way. I will sometimes add quick picks into the mix, but I tend to play my own number more.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
            The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
            Elgin, IL
            United States
            Member #68867
            January 1, 2009
            1221 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2010, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Originally I was using my system on Powerball, but the analysis that is performed is done on the numbers that are in the same pool, which is the system's strong part. The 5 white balls in Powerball's case. I had to completely rely on luck on getting the Powerball number. Since I want to win a jackpot, I figured I would convert it to a Pick 6 game. So now I use my system on Hoosier Lotto and since all the numbers are in the same pool, I can take full advantage of it. I do encourage making a system for any game though. If you wanna win Pick 6, Powerball, or Mega Millions, I encourage everyone to try and come up with their own strategy to win.

Also, anytime I'm printing lines to play and later decide I'm not going to play those numbers, I will get rid of them. Closing a window, deleting the output file, or shredding any paper I might have printed them on or wrote them to. That way I don't have to worry about looking up a few lines above the ones I decided to play just to find out one of the lines would have won the jackpot. Any sets I don't play, I get rid of.

You might what to look at the history of the Power Ball # over the last 120 drawings since the last change to the game.

PB #    no. of hits 

21           9

23           8

37           8

09           5

11           5

15           5

27           5

30           5

04           4

05           4

06           4

17           4

22           4

07           3

12           3

14           3

19           3

20           3

25           3

26           3

29           3

01           2

02           2

08           2

16           2

18           2

24           2

31           2

33           2

34           2

36           2

39           2

10           1

13           1

32           1

38           1

03           0

28           0

35           0

tot        120

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
              The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
              Elgin, IL
              United States
              Member #68867
              January 1, 2009
              1221 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2010, 1:58 am - IP Logged

You might what to look at the history of the Power Ball # over the last 120 drawings since the last change to the game.

PB #    no. of hits 

21           9

23           8

37           8

09           5

11           5

15           5

27           5

30           5

04           4

05           4

06           4

17           4

22           4

07           3

12           3

14           3

19           3

20           3

25           3

26           3

29           3

01           2

02           2

08           2

16           2

18           2

24           2

31           2

33           2

34           2

36           2

39           2

10           1

13           1

32           1

38           1

03           0

28           0

35           0

tot        120

Make that 9 hits for PB # 23 as of 03/03/10

United States
                Member #9579
                December 12, 2004
                2121 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2010, 9:59 am - IP Logged

yeah,the qp's are a real winner.i got 2 qp's and 2 of my own numbers last night,pb.qp's i got 2 numbers,and 3rd off by one number.my numbers nothing.so qp's are big winners!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49643 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2010, 10:58 am - IP Logged

yeah,the qp's are a real winner.i got 2 qp's and 2 of my own numbers last night,pb.qp's i got 2 numbers,and 3rd off by one number.my numbers nothing.so qp's are big winners!

Say no more! Thumbs Up

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

CA
                    United States
                    Member #84266
                    December 26, 2009
                    410 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2010, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

The opposite happened to me with Super lotto plus. My QP got 1+0 with the bonus number being one of the 5 regular ones! The one where I choose my own numbers got 1+1 so I made back the $2 I spent on the tickets.

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2010, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

whoops,gotta go figure some big winners,megamillions friday.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2010, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't think one is better then the other, I think there is just a preference. I don't mind using quick picks sometimes, but usually, I get sets of numbers that...just don't look good. Yeah, I know that doesn't make sense logically and I know any set of numbers can come out, but that is how my mind works.

However, for me, I honestly prefer to choose my own numbers and I have won more money that way. I will sometimes add quick picks into the mix, but I tend to play my own number more.

I agree with the "I get sets of numbers that...just don't look good." LOL that's why I don't like QP's. I would rather pick the numbers off the top of my head.

United States
                          Member #9579
                          December 12, 2004
                          2121 Posts
                          Posted: March 5, 2010, 9:53 am - IP Logged

we're overdue for a frackin win!

CA
                            United States
                            Member #84266
                            December 26, 2009
                            410 Posts
                            Posted: March 5, 2010, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

we're overdue for a frackin win!

No it's about the right time. It's been 2 months since the last win so I will win tonight. There's always a winner at least every 2 months or so.

United States
                              Member #9579
                              December 12, 2004
                              2121 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2010, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

got lucky,on that tri states am draw pik 3,for 42 buckeroos!i can retire now.shazam!