Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it better to quick pick or choose your own #s (PB and MM)?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 7 years ago by scorpio.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
Chicago
United States
Member #70678
February 8, 2009
889 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2010, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

True, but the majority of people choose numbers for a reason-- birthdays, holidays, personal stats, etc.

Yes, these numbers may eventually be chosen but since the winning numbers are more random they are less likely to hit.

if the majority played their own numbers I would bet they still would not win as much.

I think it's better to choose your own numbers! If you don't track numbers then I think it's better to choose numbers off the top off your head. This way at least you'll have a good spread of numbers.

I don't play lines that are a combo of birthdays, ages, favorite numbers etc. because like you I believe the chances of them all hitting together is very unlikely.

I don't like QP's and statistics can be very misleading!

United States
    Member #9579
    December 12, 2004
    2121 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2010, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

either way the lottery has the control of who wins 3 bucks,and who doesn't.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
      Kansas
      United States
      Member #83963
      December 19, 2009
      347 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2010, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

True. I just play a mixture of both (couple bucks a week on each game) and hope for the best.

If your system is netting you 2 numbers you should play pick 5 if you arent already. That will at least get you your $ back.

And, I figure it does make a difference -- if most winners are winners by using quick pick, then there is a reason for that. Maybe the lottery does not remember (just as dice do not remember what was thrown in craps from one hand to the next), but we do remember. And if the stats dont lie that more people win via quick pick, it shows that system is better.

Also, the most I have hit on powerball was 3 + 1 for a $100 win. This was done via quick pick.

I also buy both, but don't think I've won more than $2 on a QP. On the other hand, I have won numerous times on my own picks.

I did a 3 + 1 win on PB, Dec 23. It was one that I picked. I was one digit off from having #4, so that made me sick, but I will get it yet.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
        Queens, NY
        United States
        Member #245
        April 15, 2002
        451 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2010, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Long ago there was an article of 10 people who had hit the lottery (Powerball I think). The majority hit it via quick pick, so it seems this is the better option.

But sometimes when the machine chooses I have noticed lately it really really seems to bunch the numbers together (i.e 3 16 17 18 19 27) or some crap.

what is best?

Big Smile  I play half and half. If I play 10 sets, half are QP's and half are my picks.  Approve

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

United States
          Member #9579
          December 12, 2004
          2121 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2010, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

i would rather buy quickpicks in nyc then in idaho.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2010, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

i think you're forgetting that the computers are programmed by some lottery genius to take most of our money,but it's still fun.

OH boy...........

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2010, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

got me 3 bucks worth of pb tickets today,and got not one number in the drawing.wonder how much one would have to pay to see one number?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: February 25, 2010, 12:17 am - IP Logged

got me 3 bucks worth of pb tickets today,and got not one number in the drawing.wonder how much one would have to pay to see one number?

You only need a $1 to get all 6. I've spent $5 on Powerball quite often and most of the time I either get only 1 number or none at all. That's just the way Powerball is.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19893 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2010, 3:44 am - IP Logged

If you check them with previous drawings, they probably would have won a buck or two in the right drawing, last night just wasn't their time.  Odds are their time will come about once every 35 drawings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    50995 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2010, 7:13 am - IP Logged

Big Smile  I play half and half. If I play 10 sets, half are QP's and half are my picks.  Approve

Do you do better with the QP's or the SP's?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                      The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
                      Elgin, IL
                      United States
                      Member #68867
                      January 1, 2009
                      1221 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2010, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

I think it's better to choose your own numbers! If you don't track numbers then I think it's better to choose numbers off the top off your head. This way at least you'll have a good spread of numbers.

I don't play lines that are a combo of birthdays, ages, favorite numbers etc. because like you I believe the chances of them all hitting together is very unlikely.

I don't like QP's and statistics can be very misleading!

I have been keeping track of the jackpot games in IL for over the last 10 years and I will never buy another quick pick.  I pick my own numbers.  What I have found out, is that, even if they use multiple machines & multiple sets of balls; the machines are man made & patterns form.  This is not only in IL, OH, but in WI as well.  See my post as of yesterday in forums - Mathematics.

Past experience shows that certain combination of numbers come in more often.  The only time it changes is when they change the number of balls played in a any certain game.  When you play a quick pick, the computer will give you a combination of numbers that haven't been played as of yet.  Hence, you could get a set of numbers as 01 02 03 04 05  if no one has played those numbers at the time you did your QP.  Once every possible combination has been picked, you can guarantee at least 1 winner.

I have used my theory & had to throw out a few data basis, as games changed & I had to start a new data base.

I did win a LL in IL a while back - my share in a 3 way split was 78K.  Here is an example of a set of numbers I would play for in the IL Little Lotto.  (Note: numbers are not the same for all lottos - as in the pick 5 - each state has their own machines).  But each state will have certain combinations that come in more than others.

Illinois Little Results

2004-10-19112252638
                      2009-05-0213252629
                      2009-06-13112252629
                      2009-12-041225263839

What numbers would pick to play???

This is one reason I do not play quick picks.  This is only one of many examples.

Good Luck on any way you go, but I am geared to picking my own numbers.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                        Nashville, TN
                        United States
                        Member #86739
                        February 9, 2010
                        483 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2010, 1:00 am - IP Logged

either way the lottery has the control of who wins 3 bucks,and who doesn't.

Ha! So true. Sad, but true.

Yes, I typically mix it up when I play. On average I like to play 2 QP, and 2 where I pick. But often times I find I just pick on 1 set and QP on 2 or 3.

However, now that the jackpot is getting over 100 mil, I tend to buy a few extra tickets.

When it starts getting over $200 Mil, thats when myself and 3 other guys at work pool together. First time we did this we won $100.

CA
                          United States
                          Member #84266
                          December 26, 2009
                          410 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2010, 1:28 am - IP Logged

I watched The Lottery Changed My Life for the first time and all of the winners were QPs.

United States
                            Member #9579
                            December 12, 2004
                            2121 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2010, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

yeah,if it's 20 million,or 100 million,the odds to win 3 bucks are the same!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2010, 5:15 am - IP Logged

Some people discount quick picks saying the only reason they win more is because they sell more.

But if number picking systems are truly better, wouldn't they outperform quick picks?

If 70% of tickets sold are quick picks and 70% of winners are quick picks while 30% of tickets sold are player picks and 30% of winners are player picks, aren't they both equal?

Wouldn't one method have to outperform its sales percentage in order to prove it's better than the other?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke