Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Fixed performance issue

Topic closed. 100 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23262 Posts
Posted: April 2, 2010, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

There has been a performance issue lately that I'm sure some of you have noticed.  I've been doing some research into the issue, and I believe I have solved it.  (We'll see!)

The issue is related to the continuing increases in traffic that Lottery Post is experiencing.  Being the world's largest community of lottery players is awesome, but certainly a challenge.  It is actually stressing some network hardware limits at this point.

Fortunately, I have been able to change some things to handle all the extra load, at least for now.

One big down-side of the popularity of Lottery Post is the big increase in bandwidth costs I am seeing.  "Bandwidth" is something regular web users hardly ever hear or worry about, but owners of big web properties can fret about, because it can get so expensive. 

Think about it, from your personal perspective, if you were suddenly hit with an unexpected bill at the end of the month for $500, $1,000, or $2,000.  How would that impact your finances?  That is what it's like.

I want to thank everyone who helps to support this site by upgrading their membership to Gold or Platinum.  YOU are helping me to keep this site alive!

If you haven't upgraded your membership -- or if you haven't done so in a long time -- please consider upgrading today.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: April 2, 2010, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

There has been a performance issue lately that I'm sure some of you have noticed.  I've been doing some research into the issue, and I believe I have solved it.  (We'll see!)

The issue is related to the continuing increases in traffic that Lottery Post is experiencing.  Being the world's largest community of lottery players is awesome, but certainly a challenge.  It is actually stressing some network hardware limits at this point.

Fortunately, I have been able to change some things to handle all the extra load, at least for now.

One big down-side of the popularity of Lottery Post is the big increase in bandwidth costs I am seeing.  "Bandwidth" is something regular web users hardly ever hear or worry about, but owners of big web properties can fret about, because it can get so expensive. 

Think about it, from your personal perspective, if you were suddenly hit with an unexpected bill at the end of the month for $500, $1,000, or $2,000.  How would that impact your finances?  That is what it's like.

I want to thank everyone who helps to support this site by upgrading their membership to Gold or Platinum.  YOU are helping me to keep this site alive!

If you haven't upgraded your membership -- or if you haven't done so in a long time -- please consider upgrading today.

Mr. Todd, I will help by renewing my membership quicker than I was.  I am very grateful for this site.

Thank you for your hard work without which,  none of us would have a place of this magnitude to perfect out game!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 2, 2010, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I just renewed early for a year also Todd. Hope it helps somewhat.

Thanks for all you do.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31347 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2010, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Todd.

love to nibble those micey feet.

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2010, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Mr. Todd, I will help by renewing my membership quicker than I was.  I am very grateful for this site.

Thank you for your hard work without which,  none of us would have a place of this magnitude to perfect out game!

I just renewed my Membership also TODD, Thank you!

Please I am asking  All my LP Family who are standar members and have been  enjoying this site for a while be good enough to upgrade their membership to at least goal.  Tiggs... get your trasero in and help out here!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: April 2, 2010, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Count me in Todd, but you'll have to wait till this coming Tuesday, my day off....lol I hope you can accept Visa gift cards, cause I ain't has no credit cards, and I wants to keeps it that way.

Anything to help this wonderful site.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              22893 Posts
              Posted: April 2, 2010, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

So that's the problem?

Todd, I think you're giving away a whole lotta something for nothing. Go ahead people, choose your stones carefully.....it's okay, I've got iron skin.

Razz

Really, the amount of perks that are accessible FREE of charge here are amazing. But I wouldn't be anything less than Platinum. Where else can

you find the information, the tools, the pleasant site set up, the ease of use, news updates, all games info and all of the other bonuses rolled

up in one? Nowhere.

So many times I've seen the Who is online page filled with guests?? You want to be nice to your guests but I think that could be done in a way

where they have to choose to move on (trial guest period??) or move in permanently (low cost Standard membership and I mean low cost like

$1.95 per month). Now y'all stop your buzzing..where else can you get so much for so little? Less than .10 a day. I know someone will say, well,

if I had to pay to come here I wouldn't come. Come on now, sure you would! Big Smile

catsrule's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #55084
                September 10, 2007
                347 Posts
                Posted: April 2, 2010, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

So that's the problem?

Todd, I think you're giving away a whole lotta something for nothing. Go ahead people, choose your stones carefully.....it's okay, I've got iron skin.

Razz

Really, the amount of perks that are accessible FREE of charge here are amazing. But I wouldn't be anything less than Platinum. Where else can

you find the information, the tools, the pleasant site set up, the ease of use, news updates, all games info and all of the other bonuses rolled

up in one? Nowhere.

So many times I've seen the Who is online page filled with guests?? You want to be nice to your guests but I think that could be done in a way

where they have to choose to move on (trial guest period??) or move in permanently (low cost Standard membership and I mean low cost like

$1.95 per month). Now y'all stop your buzzing..where else can you get so much for so little? Less than .10 a day. I know someone will say, well,

if I had to pay to come here I wouldn't come. Come on now, sure you would! Big Smile

I Agree!

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: April 2, 2010, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

So that's the problem?

Razz

up in one? Nowhere.

I Agree! With you dr,  I am asking everyone to help, I will always be Platinum, After I saw all I received here it was embarrassing to me to ride on someone elses hard work ( I mean Todd's) and I upgraded from gold to Platinum!!You are absolutely right,

Maybe TODD should eliminate all the free ride! no more Standard

, start at silver!!!! He works too hard!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

United States
                    Member #83701
                    December 13, 2009
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: April 2, 2010, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

I keep expecting somebody to do a peer to peer web caching where each visitor to a web page will help serve out that web page to others.   Should be possible with HTML 5 which has conditionals that obviate the need for flash.

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: April 3, 2010, 12:01 am - IP Logged

I keep expecting somebody to do a peer to peer web caching where each visitor to a web page will help serve out that web page to others.   Should be possible with HTML 5 which has conditionals that obviate the need for flash.

jw, right now you upgrading to gold would help! if only on a 3month to 3 month basis.! you know!!!Big Smile

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: April 3, 2010, 12:55 am - IP Logged

I think Todd should pin this thread to the top of the Lottery discussion forum.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2010, 1:02 am - IP Logged

I renewed my membership today. It's not much, but I hope it helps. Thanks for all that you do with this site, Todd. Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Lucky's avatar - hiro horse.jpg
                            Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #20
                            December 20, 2000
                            56967 Posts
                            Posted: April 3, 2010, 6:31 am - IP Logged

Another way to help:

Click on Todd's Advertisements... It's just pennies a click, but those pennies add up, and are helpful for the future of Lottery Post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally Click Advertisements everyday... I hope the standard members do their part of Clicking also !!!!!!!

Good Luck Lep

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23262 Posts
                              Posted: April 3, 2010, 8:10 am - IP Logged

I was off the computer for a while, and came back to see all the nice comments here.  Thanks!  (And also thank you to everyone who has renewed!!)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!