Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think the stock market play a part in the lottery?

Topic closed. 70 replies. Last post 7 years ago by THRUST.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
pepper1's avatar - batman38
hotatlanta
United States
Member #70664
February 8, 2009
1446 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2010, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I think the lottery is set up on what the market is doing everyday.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1648 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2010, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

No, but they are one in the same with one exception. Stocks can be purchased low and increase on their own while still based on that same low, initial invested because it's DEMAND-BASED and not fixed. Lottery games have fixed odds which do not fluctuate ever and thereby require the players to "adjust" the return profits themselves via carefully designed systems.

A low buy in on lotto games will typically get you nowhere, in all reality, unless you're very lucky as so many here say...and this is where I agree with them $100%. The difference in the two: You can buy in low on stocks and still make lots of money vs. buying in high on lottery numbers (Pick3) and make less total profit but, it's a consistent profit just like stocks.

What do they have in common? This: The higher you buy in on both the more money you can make. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I found the following article relating to this very same topic. Please note how they mention people that "know what they're doing". It's very interesting indeed. Enjoy!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Investors who 'gamble' in the stock market have same characteristics as lottery players Published: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:01 in Mathematics & Economics

The socioeconomic characteristics of people who play state lotteries are similar to investors who pick stocks with a lottery quality—high risk with a small potential for high return, and just like the lottery, returns on average are lower for those who invest this way in the stock market, research from The University of Texas at Austin shows. In the paper, "Who Gambles in the Stock Market?" Alok Kumar, assistant professor of finance at the McCombs School of Business at The University of Texas at Austin, presents evidence of this counter-productive stock-market behavior after studying the demographics and financial transactions of 70,000 anonymous investors. The research will be published in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Finance.

"We found that people who took risks with lottery-type stock typically earned 2 to 3 percent less than other investors," Kumar said.

Kumar defines lottery-type stocks as those with a share price under $5 and a history of high volatility and extreme positive returns. These stocks are inexpensive and come with a high chance of losing, but they also offer the small potential for a big payoff.

Kumar's research found that people with household income below average for their area are more likely to buy lottery-type stocks, and that they are purchased in areas with high unemployment and during economic downturns. In addition, regions with higher concentrations of Catholics such as in Massachusetts and Rhode Island have a stronger preference for lottery-type stocks, while those in Protestant regions like areas in the South are less drawn to them—a pattern that also mirrors ticket-purchasing trends in state lotteries by the two groups.

"It is particularly important to be aware of our gambling tendencies now because the urge to gamble is greater during difficult economic times," Kumar said. "Stock market 'gambles' are unlikely to pay off, and those who are close to retirement are likely more vulnerable to this urge because they might feel they only have a short time period to recoup their losses. Unfortunately, this behavior can further worsen their situation and delay recovery."

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8360 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2010, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

No! the lottery and the stock market are two separate businesses.

The lotteries aren't on the stock exchange.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: April 8, 2010, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

No, they're not. I say "they're" because there are so many states and so many games.

Pepper, which one do you think is suspect?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2010, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Very Interesting, I really don't have a factual answer, can't say for sure! But, If you want to compare the Stock Markets with the Lottery,  then I can tell you I am an

"Investor in Diggits"Approve

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

pepper1's avatar - batman38
            hotatlanta
            United States
            Member #70664
            February 8, 2009
            1446 Posts
            Posted: April 8, 2010, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

My parent use to play the numbers on the street, and they say that in order to know what number fell you would look

at the end of the stock market. I know for a fact that the market bring in cash 3 and 4.

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: April 8, 2010, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

i suspected that for years since i was in the military...is a possibility...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: April 8, 2010, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

i suspected that for years since i was in the military...is a possibility...

You handled a gun??..

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8360 Posts
                  Posted: April 8, 2010, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

My parent use to play the numbers on the street, and they say that in order to know what number fell you would look

at the end of the stock market. I know for a fact that the market bring in cash 3 and 4.

So an illegal lottery used the stock markets end of day talley.... in most states the illegal street lottery used the 9th race at the tracks. winning horse numbers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: April 8, 2010, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

You handled a gun??..

ROFL

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                      Northern Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #83350
                      December 5, 2009
                      1315 Posts
                      Posted: April 8, 2010, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Toney725 would compare the winning numbers and the stock market numbers in the Georgia Pick 3 forums. I haven't been there in a while but I used to post every day there. But this is what Toney725 did.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: April 9, 2010, 12:15 am - IP Logged

So an illegal lottery used the stock markets end of day talley.... in most states the illegal street lottery used the 9th race at the tracks. winning horse numbers.

In Jersey it was the last three dollar digits of the daily total mutuel handle at rotating race tracks. The tracks were rotated so as not to invite any collusion.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7309 Posts
                          Posted: April 9, 2010, 8:57 am - IP Logged

They used several different methods to choose the 3 digits and it's possible one of them might give you some hits on your own state lottery.

"I know for a fact that the market bring in cash 3 and 4."

Then you should be playing those numbers and cashing in.

But it's really no different than someone saying "these numbers are good in all states for an entire month" because statistically some of "those numbers" will be drawn. The problem is they don't figure in the cost of playing all "those numbers" in every state lottery which is usually higher than what they could win.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49725 Posts
                            Posted: April 9, 2010, 9:57 am - IP Logged

You handled a gun??..

United States
                            Member #47874
                            November 4, 2006
                            1701 Posts

Star Trek?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1648 Posts
                              Posted: April 9, 2010, 11:08 am - IP Logged

They used several different methods to choose the 3 digits and it's possible one of them might give you some hits on your own state lottery.

"I know for a fact that the market bring in cash 3 and 4."

Then you should be playing those numbers and cashing in.

But it's really no different than someone saying "these numbers are good in all states for an entire month" because statistically some of "those numbers" will be drawn. The problem is they don't figure in the cost of playing all "those numbers" in every state lottery which is usually higher than what they could win.

You have really said something here, Stack. I will never understand people posting numbers for "ALL STATES" What does it accomplish? I can post a list of numbers that will certain hit multiple times in multiple states but, unless people are playing ALL those numbers, it's completely useless.

What number will hit where is what it boils down to. Then, when one of them does hit "somewhere", players get ecstatic over it. Why? Please help me understand this. Now, I do see how concentrating numbers for "one" state maybe a couple of days out can be beneficial.

But, this entire month business is ludicrous!! Again, they have a good chance of hitting... at some point just like others. We're talkin' thirty days here. I'm honestly trying my best to understand some of what I see but, it's really hard.

ONE DAY AT A TIME>>>ONE DRAW AT A TIME. This is as fast as I can go.

L.L.