Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Todd forgive me if this in inappropriate. Church and lottery

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23273 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2010, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Even if it were in the bible, doesn't make it a fact.

Personally, I don't believe everything I read. I use common sense.

You never know, the Flying Spaghetti monster may say it's OK. 

It's actually called the Bible.

It's pretty disrespectful to toss in something like "Flying Spaghetti monster" just because you aren't personally religious.  Why are religious people expected to always be tolerant of atheist views, but it's OK for atheists to treat religious people (i.e., the majority of the population) like idiots?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LuckyGa3's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
    Member #10163
    January 4, 2005
    797 Posts
    Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

I have to agree with you Todd. and a great big AMEN.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

It's actually called the Bible.

It's pretty disrespectful to toss in something like "Flying Spaghetti monster" just because you aren't personally religious.  Why are religious people expected to always be tolerant of atheist views, but it's OK for atheists to treat religious people (i.e., the majority of the population) like idiots?

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. The spaghetti monster is referring to how many dfferent belief systems which are out there, and the myriad of outcomes on the subject of gambling. Sure I was being cute, like I sometimes am, but not deisrespectful. If I offended anyone, I appologize, and wasn't trying to change anyone's belief, but I just gave my opinion on the subject and the possible alternative ways of thinking.

If someone has a real conviction in their belief system, no amount of Joker17 posts will change their mind.....lol

Blue Angel

LotteryJunkiE99's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg

United States
        Member #72647
        March 23, 2009
        63 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Can someone please tell me who the Flying Spaghetti Monster is?!@!@   I love ITalian food.     Embarassed

Oh, and Todd you know joker is always been sardonic and a smart-a$$, it's what make his posts so great to skip over, unless of course unless you need your minimum daily dose of cynisism and transparent passive-aggressiveness.   I say passively angry and sour comments like jokers are wade the Spaghetti Monster fly in the first place.    Fumes out the ears of course!!!!!  - - <<I Agree!      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.             Naughty

Marinara sauce here I come!!!          Star

- ILOVETHELOTTERY Sun Smiley

United States
          Member #72647
          March 23, 2009
          63 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

OH wow, answered right after I posted.   I feel just rich.  Embarassed     Coffee   Star   Sun Smiley    Approve

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23273 Posts
            Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Does it look anything like this?

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31361 Posts
              Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Can someone please tell me who the Flying Spaghetti Monster is?!@!@   I love ITalian food.     Embarassed

Oh, and Todd you know joker is always been sardonic and a smart-a$$, it's what make his posts so great to skip over, unless of course unless you need your minimum daily dose of cynisism and transparent passive-aggressiveness.   I say passively angry and sour comments like jokers are wade the Spaghetti Monster fly in the first place.    Fumes out the ears of course!!!!!  - - <<I Agree!      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.             Naughty

What a mean post.  I like Joker's sense of humor.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                Member #72647
                March 23, 2009
                63 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I didn't think it was possible for a man my size to get scared.Eek     I was wrong.  Thud

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I looked up the Macarena song just to feel better after seeing that thing.   JEEZ TODD!!!!!  Where'd you find that thing?!!!  Under rdgnr's bed or something???!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.Wink

k i THINK I'll have Mexican tongiht instead.    Burritos/Chalupas,  Here I come!!!!!!     EmbarassedWinkStarCheersSun Smiley

And uhm, I'll try not to think on this picture as long as I live.   Leaving

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: May 10, 2010, 12:20 am - IP Logged

lottocalgal,

Many churches automatically give people quarterly statements and an end of the year statement.

There was a day when canceled checks were rproof but now they may not stand alone.

I knew a guy who would write his kid a $50 check made out to St. John's Parish and tell him to buy what he needed in the school bookstore, looseleaf paper, notebooks and such, and bring back the change. At the end of the year he would claim all those checks made out to St. John's as charity.

I also saw a heared discussion about giving by check on a Christian board (for srying out loud!. The gist of it was giving by check is not "properly motivated" because those who do are going to take the deduction, thus it's not "cheerful giving."

The discussion got a little heated and it came down to the facts that some people who give by check give thousands a year, it's nobody's business looking to see who puts what in a basket and whether it's check or currency, and indeed there is no pleasing some people.

The people who take the deduction didn't make the rules.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 10, 2010, 12:44 am - IP Logged

lottocalgal,

Many churches automatically give people quarterly statements and an end of the year statement.

There was a day when canceled checks were rproof but now they may not stand alone.

I knew a guy who would write his kid a $50 check made out to St. John's Parish and tell him to buy what he needed in the school bookstore, looseleaf paper, notebooks and such, and bring back the change. At the end of the year he would claim all those checks made out to St. John's as charity.

I also saw a heared discussion about giving by check on a Christian board (for srying out loud!. The gist of it was giving by check is not "properly motivated" because those who do are going to take the deduction, thus it's not "cheerful giving."

The discussion got a little heated and it came down to the facts that some people who give by check give thousands a year, it's nobody's business looking to see who puts what in a basket and whether it's check or currency, and indeed there is no pleasing some people.

The people who take the deduction didn't make the rules.

They said taking the deduction is not cheerful giving?

I think most people would be more cheerful taking the deduction. Giving more money to the government doesn't help the church and certainly doesn't make you a cheerful giver.

It just goes to show how hard it is to get away from busy-bodies. You never have to worry about what you're doing because you can rest assured some busy-body is worrying about what you're doing for you.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3104 Posts
                      Posted: May 10, 2010, 3:19 am - IP Logged

You can look it up on Wikipedia.  There are those who postulate the same proof or lack there of that God exists could be used to prove the universe is actually run by a flying Spaghetti Monster or Santa as the case may be.

I have a fun little game where you are the Spaghetti Monster trying to turn people into pastafarians. 

http://www.coffeebreakgames.net/playgame.php?id=3179

BobP

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23273 Posts
                        Posted: May 10, 2010, 7:08 am - IP Logged

You can look it up on Wikipedia.  There are those who postulate the same proof or lack there of that God exists could be used to prove the universe is actually run by a flying Spaghetti Monster or Santa as the case may be.

I have a fun little game where you are the Spaghetti Monster trying to turn people into pastafarians. 

http://www.coffeebreakgames.net/playgame.php?id=3179

BobP

Yes, that is why I said it was disrespectful.  To me, it's not an "Aw shucks, no offense" thing.  It's directly offensive to anyone with religious beliefs -- which is most of us.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                          Midlands, SC
                          United States
                          Member #69698
                          January 14, 2009
                          303 Posts
                          Posted: May 10, 2010, 8:02 am - IP Logged

Well, I must say...you truly do learn something new everyday.  I have never heard of this Flying Spaghetti Monster thing until this morning while reading the comments.  I just looked it up.  Ridiculous and offensive in my opinion...but so is SouthPark, The Family Guy...etc.  I guess I'm just old fashioned...if you don't have anything nice to say just don't say anything at all is my motto.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            CA
                            United States
                            Member #57222
                            December 23, 2007
                            587 Posts
                            Posted: May 10, 2010, 8:38 am - IP Logged

Well, I must say...you truly do learn something new everyday.  I have never heard of this Flying Spaghetti Monster thing until this morning while reading the comments.  I just looked it up.  Ridiculous and offensive in my opinion...but so is SouthPark, The Family Guy...etc.  I guess I'm just old fashioned...if you don't have anything nice to say just don't say anything at all is my motto.

Thanks  to all of you who responded seriously to my question.

I also have had the feeling of "not a cheerful giver"  If I were to ask for a receipt.  I didnt know it was a requirement for the church.  So even when I give the % of a small lottery win to the church , since I give it in the form of a check during tithing , it would automatically be recognized.   I guess its even more so, if (when) I give them a HUGE donation later on.

Thanks again to all of you.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              49808 Posts
                              Posted: May 10, 2010, 8:54 am - IP Logged

Yeah but noone really responded to my question. (well Jack kind of did)

I'm talking about  asking the church for the receipt for a "charitabe" donation.  I feel uncle Sam would care less that you SAY you gave ten thousand dollars to the church.  In order to write that off as a deduction youd need proof. 

Woudl you feel funny asking the church for a receipt?

If you would feel funny asking the Church for a Donation Receipt (written acknowledgment of something received) (You wouldn't be the first person to ask for one), then just make the Donation and Forget about the Tax Thingy.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!