Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Todd forgive me if this in inappropriate. Church and lottery

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #79502
September 2, 2009
6396 Posts
Posted: May 11, 2010, 10:39 am - IP Logged

'Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's'.

Caesar created the deduction...use it.

Personally, I'd feel better using it after giving the full 10% to the church.

Todd, you're right. There is NO sin in gambling. The sin is excess....excess to a point where it is interfering with other priorities: Mortgage, utilities,

food, car payment, etc. etc. etc.

Well said , DR65

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
    Member #391
    June 8, 2002
    16078 Posts
    Posted: May 11, 2010, 11:12 am - IP Logged

The topic is fine.  The only thing I take issue with is your assertion that gambling is a sin.  I do not believe it is.  In fact, the Bible does not say that gambling is bad in any way.  The Bible makes mention of "Lots", which are a form of lotteries used in biblical times. 

Seeing as the Bible mentions the use of lotteries in the day, and does not say anything negative about gambling in general, I believe gambling is fine.  However, like anything in life, it must be done in moderation, lest it become a vice.

Amen Todd............

Thank you

>Michael

PackMan's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #35041
      March 11, 2006
      20 Posts
      Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

if gambling is a sin then what about all those old farts playing bingo at the local church??

(:

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40609 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

if gambling is a sin then what about all those old farts playing bingo at the local church??

(:

a lot of those old farts go home with each other (wink wink)Embarassed

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

pepper1's avatar - batman38
          hotatlanta
          United States
          Member #70664
          February 8, 2009
          1446 Posts
          Posted: May 12, 2010, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

(:

Most of the old farts from my church are in the store playing with me. The pastor keep telling us to not play, but when

we do our meet and greet they alway want to know did you get that number last night. First Sunday one approach

to tell me she forgot to play her number on the way to church. The preacher favorites girl buy tickets If anybody

won the jackpot he wouldn't turn it down. I just told him I gambling he said I go to the casnio just for those

little sauage(yeah right)

New York,
            Panama
            Member #73078
            April 4, 2009
            3490 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2010, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

'Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's'.

Caesar created the deduction...use it.

Personally, I'd feel better using it after giving the full 10% to the church.

Todd, you're right. There is NO sin in gambling. The sin is excess....excess to a point where it is interfering with other priorities: Mortgage, utilities,

food, car payment, etc. etc. etc.

I Agree!You nailed it dr, as far as I am concern, never believed it to be a sin!  I agree that one must never take funds from the family well being to play the lottery, That's a big no-no!  Food, light bill, Telephone bill, mortgage, Car paymets! No!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5583 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2010, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

CT:

That scam is well thought out,  but....................................I think I'll join! Jack-in-the-BoxUniversal religion is good for your wallet and meditation in the clinky.

There is an underground economy in the US that laughs at the IRS.  You have the IRS chasing $10 contributions by small time cheats or whatever.....................next it could be:  you ain't buying healthcare..................or you claimed used underwear. They don't see the forest thru the trees.   While there is literally billions upon billions leaving the country in cash for drugs,   loans to the World bank,  and being sent 'home' with out paying a cent of tax.   This taxation system is crap,  the people that run it are crap,  because they can target people, industries,  and litigate to waste tax monies.   The IRS needs to eliminated and replaced with consumption tax and flat tax,  and clamp down the FED.

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: May 12, 2010, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm not religious, but spiritual to an extent.

It's my opinion that because it's not affecting your daily life, like eating away at your mortgage, bills..etc, doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Correct me If I'm wrong, but based on what I've learned concerning the Bible, the act itself is destructive to the fabric of the being involved. I recall the temple being the body, and how it can become corrupt. It may not show right away but eventually, that lifestyle will fail.

The seed is also mentioned a lot. It's the seed you sow that determines the outcome. A home is only as good as the foundation it's on.

Would Jesus gamble?

What did Jesus do when he saw folks using his church as a business area, to sell products? Sure it wasn't gambling, but it sends a clear message of how even the slightest deviance from the rules can affect the user.

The universal rules are there for a reason. They are the only ones that work in the long run. If one can deduct the organized religous aspects to all this, the beauty of it would be more prominent.

Is gambling a sin?

I don't know. Maybe.

Again, would Jesus gamble?

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                  Northern Virginia
                  United States
                  Member #83350
                  December 5, 2009
                  1317 Posts
                  Posted: May 12, 2010, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

If I do win the lottery I plan to tithe my winnings. I would have never thought of asking for a charitable receipt from the church, mostly because it would never have occurred to me. Then again, I've played the lottery only twice this year and both times were Pick-3, so I would be donating only $50.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                    Northern Virginia
                    United States
                    Member #83350
                    December 5, 2009
                    1317 Posts
                    Posted: May 13, 2010, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

You can glean from this whatever you want.

I went to the gas station outside of my apartment to buy a soda. I saw a man getting out of a car, and the place where the front plate would be says, "Jesus is the Answer" in Spanish. (In Georgia only a back plate is required). After I checked out I saw why he had come: to buy some scratch-off tickets.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: May 13, 2010, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

You can glean from this whatever you want.

I went to the gas station outside of my apartment to buy a soda. I saw a man getting out of a car, and the place where the front plate would be says, "Jesus is the Answer" in Spanish. (In Georgia only a back plate is required). After I checked out I saw why he had come: to buy some scratch-off tickets.

Watch it Hermanus. I knowed you wudn't from down here when you said plate. Down here a plate is somethin you eat off of.  You mean a tag.

And the guy with the tag buying a lottery ticket? He might build a church with his winnings. You bought a soda though. That's gonna rot your teeth out requiring drilling out the teeth using up electricity which is depleting our fossil fuels for future generations, necessitating more nuclear power plants which could explode sending the earth into a nightmarish nuclear winter and thereby wiping out life as we know it on this planet for eons and eons.

Or was it a diet soda?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
                        Panama
                        Member #73078
                        April 4, 2009
                        3490 Posts
                        Posted: May 13, 2010, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Watch it Hermanus. I knowed you wudn't from down here when you said plate. Down here a plate is somethin you eat off of.  You mean a tag.

And the guy with the tag buying a lottery ticket? He might build a church with his winnings. You bought a soda though. That's gonna rot your teeth out requiring drilling out the teeth using up electricity which is depleting our fossil fuels for future generations, necessitating more nuclear power plants which could explode sending the earth into a nightmarish nuclear winter and thereby wiping out life as we know it on this planet for eons and eons.

Or was it a diet soda?

HA!...rd, you are a special kind of earthling!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina