Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Todd forgive me if this in inappropriate. Church and lottery

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jrosina.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1648 Posts
Posted: May 10, 2010, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Matthew 6: 1-4

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your father which is in heaven.

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

That thine alms may be in secret: and thy father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

'Ridge, this is what it's all about right here...a biblical answer to a biblical question. The bible does, in fact, answer all our questions in life. We only need to have a "proper" understanding when reading it so that it's not out of context. I really like your answer and commend you for posting it in its' "Raw" form.Thumbs Up

lottogal, this ties in directly to Thrust's topic regarding "Be Proud" when coming into sudden wealth and not keeping quiet about it. If or when you hit it big, noone in the church even needs to know where the money comes from to perfectly honest. You can give completely anonymously in the form of a cashier's check and noone will even question it. In fact, you can just set the amount you plan to give aside and simply give it over a period of time to in order to keep suspicions from arising.

With the way people view how God works, they'll just view it as prayers answered and God providing...miracles even. Common sense is indeed our best asset and friend so we need to use it. Only those who want all the attention from doing a good deed put their business out for everyone to see and know. At that point, it's really useless because it's not from the heart. Good deeds done in secret makes for heroes. There's an unparalleled respect that comes with doing such things once people find out who you are and what you've done on the cool...without needing anything in return. No better feeling in the world. A natural high that lasts and lasts!!!

Best of all, noone can take it away.

L.L.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10350 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2010, 9:57 am - IP Logged

There is a short series of hilaruious books by a Quaker, can't think of his name or the book titles, sorry, but in one of them a couple in a chyrch win the lottery. At first they don't even want to claim the jackpot, but whn the lottery calls and tells them they have to take it or lose it, they take it.

Then "everybody and their brother" in the church has plans for the money, before thye've even given any.

Because of all the grandiose plans and everybody thinking their idea is the best what happens is the church winds up building an indoor basketball court, and that's that.

It's a very funny book.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
      hotatlanta
      United States
      Member #70664
      February 8, 2009
      1446 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I would ask for a receipt. My church send you out something at the end of the year on how much you paid

to file your taxes. It on your tax return. You really don't need a receipt your check is your receipt.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Can someone please tell me who the Flying Spaghetti Monster is?!@!@   I love ITalian food.     Embarassed

Oh, and Todd you know joker is always been sardonic and a smart-a$$, it's what make his posts so great to skip over, unless of course unless you need your minimum daily dose of cynisism and transparent passive-aggressiveness.   I say passively angry and sour comments like jokers are wade the Spaghetti Monster fly in the first place.    Fumes out the ears of course!!!!!  - - <<I Agree!      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.             Naughty

Marinara sauce here I come!!!          Star

To a tee.

Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Keep cancelled checks those are receipts or print from on-line banking,  or Quick Books Quicken etc..

Monkey Butt, USA
            United States
            Member #54569
            August 23, 2007
            1124 Posts
            Posted: May 10, 2010, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Hello LP family,

I want to know your thoughts on this one.  Yeah  gambling is a sin and yet I play the lottery. 

Okay thats over-now here's my question.

I plan to give some of the money to my church after my win, (like I do now, except the amounts are so small, its insignificant.)  But since you are heavily taxed on your lottery wins and the gifts  you give to others, would it be appropriate to request the charitable reciept from the church in order to write it off  on taxes?

It sounds kind of blasphemous,   and yet it kindof sounds okay.  I'm not sure, because the year end bulletin says to hold off on submitting the taxes until they send you some kind of tithing form.

This is my first year of being a "true" member of a church so I'm not sure.

I guess when Jack Whittacker and those guys gave all that money away, they got some kind of reciept or write off.

Thanks all.

All ligitamate Non-Profit organizations will give you a receipt for your contributions. Keep in mind that if your pay with a check/money-order/cashier's check you can use that as a receipt.

I've contributed to a lot of church based non-profit organizations, (churches....etc) and I've always received a receipt and at the end of the year I get a statement showing what I've given for the whole year.

I know that when I give to my local church there are envelopes used to separate the regular offering from the tithes/donations and it is the information on the envelope that is used to keep track of who gave what and how much.

If you are just putting cash in the offering plate then there is no way of knowing who or how much was given.  Whatever I plan on using as a write off I never pay in cash. I always leave a paper trail just in case my receipt gets lost in the mail or something...............

It is no different than when you get a statement from the Red Cross, Good Will, Salvation Army, St. Jude, Shriners Hospital, etc...... Just like they send end of the year statements so does the churches. The statements usually arrive in Jan or Feb.

United States
              Member #85338
              January 13, 2010
              143 Posts
              Posted: May 10, 2010, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Many companies will match charitable contributions that you make. A company I used to work for would send out a reminder every quarter asking for you to submit your claims (a receipt) so that the company can match what you contributed up to a certain amount.  A charitable organization should be able to provide you with a receipt.  I find this as a win-win, double win situation.

A win for you...you are giving to a charitable organization and you can deduct from your taxes (at least you, not the gov't has a say in which charitable organization get this money)

A win for your company (if you still happen to work and they do charitable match)..because they get the tax break.

A double win for the charitable org because you gave and they were match by your company's charitable matching program.

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10350 Posts
                Posted: May 10, 2010, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I would ask for a receipt. My church send you out something at the end of the year on how much you paid

to file your taxes. It on your tax return. You really don't need a receipt your check is your receipt.

pepper1, jarasan,

From a previous post of mone in this thread:

I knew a guy who would write his kid a $50 check made out to St. John'sParish and tell him to buy what he needed in the school bookstore,looseleaf paper, notebooks and such, and bring back the change. At theend of the year he would claim all those checks made out to St. John'sas charity.

The canceled check may or may not be proof enough, it depends. A lot of people try to pull stunts like the above.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
                  hotatlanta
                  United States
                  Member #70664
                  February 8, 2009
                  1446 Posts
                  Posted: May 10, 2010, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

pepper1, jarasan,

I knew a guy who would write his kid a $50 check made out to St. John'sParish and tell him to buy what he needed in the school bookstore,looseleaf paper, notebooks and such, and bring back the change. At theend of the year he would claim all those checks made out to St. John'sas charity.

The canceled check may or may not be proof enough, it depends. A lot of people try to pull stunts like the above.

He will give an account for that. You can fool the people but you can't fool god. When you try things happen. Getting an audit  out of the blue,  having to spend out more money than he gave his son. He might have fool the IRS not God.

Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: May 10, 2010, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

pepper1, jarasan,

A check is better than nothing.  Can't blame the guy for creativity,  I loath the IRS and taxes,  period.   I am for flat tax or consumption tax,  done.  The more you spend/make the more tax you pay,   not this progressive POS 14000 pg code.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      40420 Posts
                      Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

We donate cash once in awhile but, mostly at the holidays we donate food , mittens, hats and toys, I know it's for a good cause, so I really don't mind not getting a receipt. Alot of our church members put alot of effort into helping others and I see it ...makes you feel warm.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: May 10, 2010, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Can someone please tell me who the Flying Spaghetti Monster is?!@!@   I love ITalian food.     Embarassed

Oh, and Todd you know joker is always been sardonic and a smart-a$$, it's what make his posts so great to skip over, unless of course unless you need your minimum daily dose of cynisism and transparent passive-aggressiveness.   I say passively angry and sour comments like jokers are wade the Spaghetti Monster fly in the first place.    Fumes out the ears of course!!!!!  - - <<I Agree!      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.             Naughty

Marinara sauce here I come!!!          Star

thor

I believe in Thor. That's my story and I'm sticking to it !

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10350 Posts
                          Posted: May 11, 2010, 12:03 am - IP Logged

jarasan,

Not too fond of the system either, but back in the 1970s and 1980s there were so many scams going on under the auspices of giving that it brought the heat on a lot of people.

One was the Universal Life Church scam (the "church" still exists). People would send off $10 to be ordained and become a "Reverend" in the Universal Life Church. They would delclare their home a church, turn their entire paycheck over to the church, and pay themselves back for needed living expenses from what they had given to the church.

So at the end of the year the wrote off their entrie wages as having ben given to the "church".

Q. What'd the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion?

A. Oh about 15 to 20 years.

Scared

Lep

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3103 Posts
                            Posted: May 11, 2010, 2:20 am - IP Logged

Just don't make your donation like this guy . . .

Ooops: Bomb Squad Blows Up Suspicious Donation

http://www.nationalreview.com/the-feed/47239/ooops-bomb-squad-blows-suspicious-donation-church-destroys-2500-cash

BobP

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10350 Posts
                              Posted: May 11, 2010, 10:04 am - IP Logged

From the link in BobP's post above, the end of the article:

" Wait a minute: the person, who thought it might be a bomb, picked it up and put it in their car?"

Scared

Lep