Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you win the lotto, would you keep a secret from your family member.

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 6 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Velocity's avatar - Gin
PA
United States
Member #63548
August 1, 2008
25 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2010, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't hide it, but at the same time I wouldn't announce it to the world. Pennsylvania does not allow winners to be anonymous. I know some people are afraid to say no, but not me, I know a few people who won hundreds of thousands of dollars and I wouldn't have the nuts to ask someone for some of their winnings like I was entitled to it.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #80614
    October 1, 2009
    16 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2010, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I could keep it a secret even if i tried. Those closest to me would notice a change in lifestyle. Florida, here I come.

I will quit playing the lottery, as soon as I break even.

victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
      san jose
      United States
      Member #53761
      July 20, 2007
      277 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2010, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

This is what my plan is when I win the lotto, I will take my dad with me to the headquater to check out and I'll give him 1.5 million right on the spot. I will keep a secret from my mom for 2 or 3 more months and buy her a house of her choice. I don't need to worry about telling my brother or sister because I don't have any. I need to worry about church members since my mother is really close to them and I am not. I also need to worry about some of my relative in SF. I would need to move somewhere else possibly out of states or possibly Southern California and just go back to school since my priority right now is to go back to school but just can't afford it and CA school system is really messed up now a day. I also need to pay off my medical bills and need to worry about my health.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2010, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

This is what my plan is when I win the lotto, I will take my dad with me to the headquater to check out and I'll give him 1.5 million right on the spot. I will keep a secret from my mom for 2 or 3 more months and buy her a house of her choice. I don't need to worry about telling my brother or sister because I don't have any. I need to worry about church members since my mother is really close to them and I am not. I also need to worry about some of my relative in SF. I would need to move somewhere else possibly out of states or possibly Southern California and just go back to school since my priority right now is to go back to school but just can't afford it and CA school system is really messed up now a day. I also need to pay off my medical bills and need to worry about my health.

I think you should move to a southern state and get away from the crazies in California.

You should consider Tennessee. You can carry guns here and I can teach you how to shoot the hell out of anything that moves or looks like its about to move. I'll have you layin down a line of rapid fire that'll guarantee it ain't never gonna move. No How. No Way. No Sir.

How about it?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
          san jose
          United States
          Member #53761
          July 20, 2007
          277 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2010, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I sure would love to move to the South or else where. Living in California is too much headache.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2010, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I sure would love to move to the South or else where. Living in California is too much headache.

I'll start reloadin all my brass.

We're gonna need a lotta ammo.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2010, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

I'll start reloadin all my brass.

We're gonna need a lotta ammo.

Hahaha...Lot's and lot's...too funny

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                699 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2010, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't tell anyone.  I'd keep it to myself.  However, I'm also involved in a couple of pools at work, one of which I run.  Whether or not the others would keep quiet, that's another story.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                  Member #32537
                  February 12, 2006
                  698 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2010, 5:01 am - IP Logged

besides my parents, who be forbiden to speak a world of this to the rest of the family

i tell no one, cousins and others can make their own money just fine without my help

i just  move to very rich place of tn, brentwood, blend right in 

, and say my family freaking rich when they ask why i live in million buck home by my self at age 23

, at lest to my dream 1000+ arce farm home is done being built somewhere, but thats a whole other story

as for any future girl friends, i pretend to be trust fund rich kid,

then if i ever get married to a girl i love

i be like ,o ya, by the way, that trust i told you about, the parents didn't make it,  i created it myself to hide my lottery win in,

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                    Republic of Texas
                    United States
                    Member #57557
                    January 9, 2008
                    1095 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2010, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

It would have to depend on the size of the jackpot, and if the lottery is one you can remain anonymous. The state lotteries in MI are really not all that large, and you can remain anonymous... which I would even in regards to family.

As to Mega or PB, I would pretty much have to tell my two adult children, and most likely my parents. Who else to tell would depend on the size of the jackpot. Headline grabbing win like Saturday's PB, I'd have to tell my sisters. We all are pretty close, and I would be gifting to them anyway. Beyond these 6 people, all of whom I trust very much, it's no one's business. My extended cousins who I have not seen in many years since Granny died, other than their pictures on facebook... well, that wasn't me who won it, just someone with the same name and wouldn't it be nice... etc. I would definitely be wearing a disguise. The ones who are close to me, they would know which of those extended members to especially keep in the dark.

I'll let ya'll know how that works out after my big win.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2010, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

I don't have to worry about the parents, they have passed on years ago. I have my 20 something daughter in California and my 7 yr old son, so it's needless to say that they will both be taken care of for the rest of their lives. But I still have no need to tell them anything! All they need to know is that they have a trust! So from that prospective there is absolutely no one that I would need to tell about my PB or MM win at anytime what so ever! Thank god I'm in a state that allows me to be an anonymous winner! So no one will ever know! Razz

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        4523 Posts
                        Posted: May 29, 2010, 10:53 am - IP Logged

THis question carries some interesting  scenarios. First thought was Heck no I wouldnt tell a soul at first.  Then after much thinking and given the fact that there is harm in this world, I would tell my immediate family. Reason: So they can be more guarded in their lifestyle and social environment. Way to many weirdos who would think its okay to kidnap or harm a family member of a lottery winner. One must think of those around them and their safety. ITs my opinion that I have a duty to see they are safe before I go public with the winning ticket. I am not soo selfish to just take the money and run without considering others lives this may affect.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Montreal, Quebec
                          Canada
                          Member #85044
                          January 7, 2010
                          9 Posts
                          Posted: May 31, 2010, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

It would be almost impossible to keep it a secret even if I wanted to.  With this kind of money, word gets around pretty quickly.  I think it would be wiser to inform your family, at least for the purposes of keeping them safe.  But aside from that, it just sounds wrong to keep such things from your family.

Life is half spent before we know what it is.

George Herbert

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                            Mcminnville, Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #3013
                            December 13, 2003
                            3046 Posts
                            Posted: May 31, 2010, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I plan on sharing the money with my family since I have a small one.  Some to my mother and some to my brother in law.  Then the rest to my bank of america account.-weshar75

cheryl59's avatar - center
                              Va Beach
                              United States
                              Member #46651
                              September 20, 2006
                              1856 Posts
                              Posted: May 31, 2010, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

Even your parents?

Yes.  I would not tell dear old Dad

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers