Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL - On The Whole Do The Lotteries Provide Truly Random Numbers?

Topic closed. 104 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Hermanus104.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

From Quick Picks to Winning Numbers, Are We Getting Truly Random Numbers from the Various Lotteries?

Yes [ 29 ]  [29.59%]
No [ 52 ]  [53.06%]
Don't know/Don't care/Doesn't matter to me [ 11 ]  [11.22%]
Other [ 6 ]  [6.12%]
Total Valid Votes [ 98 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2010, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Seems to be a lot of controversy about this question.

Let's see what the majority says.

Please explain.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
    Park City, UT
    United States
    Member #69864
    January 18, 2009
    993 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2010, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

To answer the poll you have to define "Truly random numbers".

Jimmy

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

To answer the poll you have to define "Truly random numbers".

Jimmy

Numbers drawn randomly as opposed to surreptitiously arbitrary in some manner or just subject to some unintentional error or flaw in process or design.

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

After 22 years studying chaos, it's apparent to me that there is no "one" definition for chaos and randomness. It has it's ebbs and flows. It has unlikely outcomes. It has harmony from time to time. It has too many variables.

Not that it CAN'T be predicted, but it will win in the long run if the person observing doesn't pick up on the nuances along the way. It's ever morphing, like the tides. The same combination of gasses in a given environment will never be the same. No two finger prints will ever match.

There is hope. Despite the gloom and doom, one can, and has, enable themselves with tools that can overcome chaos. After 22 years, yesterday i found the best version of the tools needed in the p-3. It was worth every penny of the 50 bucks I spent on getting that info, and I'm excited. It's been a while since I've been so excited about a p-3 system.

No matter what the officials do to throw the flow of numbers into a wild and seemingly unpredictable frame of reasoning, one thing will always overcome it. That is knowledge. Steve Player proved that right a while back, and so did the latest contender. The system which I endowed myself with yesterday.

Even manipulated machines have limits. Know how to exploit them, and chaos is irrelevant.

There will always be bias in all areas of life. Just have to spot the biases.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
          Member #81314
          October 16, 2009
          18997 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Seems to be a lot of controversy about this question.

Let's see what the majority says.

Please explain.

Missouri Lottery gives inside view of computerized drawings.  10:54 am - The Missouri Lottery takes viewers on a tour of their computerized drawing facilities and procedures.

Hello:  I don't believe it's random, check this out.

Feb. 14th, 2010  485

Feb. 19th, 2010 584

Feb.20th, 2010 548

All within 7 days,  14 draws.

Feb. 22, 2010 555

Is that random or programmed?

You can watch that video again.

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Good Luck.

The Struggle is real!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

After 22 years studying chaos, it's apparent to me that there is no "one" definition for chaos and randomness. It has it's ebbs and flows. It has unlikely outcomes. It has harmony from time to time. It has too many variables.

Not that it CAN'T be predicted, but it will win in the long run if the person observing doesn't pick up on the nuances along the way. It's ever morphing, like the tides. The same combination of gasses in a given environment will never be the same. No two finger prints will ever match.

There is hope. Despite the gloom and doom, one can, and has, enable themselves with tools that can overcome chaos. After 22 years, yesterday i found the best version of the tools needed in the p-3. It was worth every penny of the 50 bucks I spent on getting that info, and I'm excited. It's been a while since I've been so excited about a p-3 system.

No matter what the officials do to throw the flow of numbers into a wild and seemingly unpredictable frame of reasoning, one thing will always overcome it. That is knowledge. Steve Player proved that right a while back, and so did the latest contender. The system which I endowed myself with yesterday.

Even manipulated machines have limits. Know how to exploit them, and chaos is irrelevant.

There will always be bias in all areas of life. Just have to spot the biases.

That sounds reasonable to me but don't let that make you feel good because I'm pretty dumb.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Missouri Lottery gives inside view of computerized drawings.  10:54 am - The Missouri Lottery takes viewers on a tour of their computerized drawing facilities and procedures.

Hello:  I don't believe it's random, check this out.

Feb. 14th, 2010  485

Feb. 19th, 2010 584

Feb.20th, 2010 548

All within 7 days,  14 draws.

Feb. 22, 2010 555

Is that random or programmed?

You can watch that video again.

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Good Luck.

Some day they're gonna pipe in Hi-Speed Internet to us hillbillies way back in the woods so we can watch them videos too.

--Edmund Burke

JAP69's avatar - alas
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #6
                November 4, 2001
                8790 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

I would say they are random.

How many times has cash 5 and jackpot games duplicated all the same winning numbers? In pick 3 and 4 you will have the same numbers come back as you will have a higher probability of random reapeating.

Thats the way the ball bounces or where an r n g random cycle stops at that split second.

MAGA

Jack-C's avatar - us
                  San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #61467
                  May 24, 2008
                  28146 Posts
                  Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

In my many years of experience working in the cryptographic community, I have found a few things to be true.

"Random" simply means that by studying past results you can not with certainty predict the next event.  I think the lottery meets that requirement.

In cryptography we understood that some things can be "sufficiently random".  That means that random numbers used for "secret communications" only need to be random enough to make a code that fools the people that may see (read) it.  I can use "random" numbers to make up a code that will fool the general public, but would not "make muster" against a country that had Super Computers to analyze it.  

JAP69's avatar - alas
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #6
                    November 4, 2001
                    8790 Posts
                    Posted: August 7, 2010, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Another thing to be considered on randomness is that cash 5 and jackpot games the balls are circulated in the same chamber and drawn from that one chamber. Cash 3 and 4 the balls are circulated in individual chambers for positional drawing. So with cash 3 and 4 their is a 1 in 10 chance of the same ball number being drawn per positional chamber and they also rotate ball chambers and ball sets for cash 3 and 4 from drawing to drawing.

MAGA

DFW, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #78628
                      August 18, 2009
                      134 Posts
                      Posted: August 8, 2010, 2:04 am - IP Logged

Quantum mechanics suggests that nothing that can be influenced by humans can ever truly be random, and that the only random events are at the quantum level.  Beyond that, I also question what exactly constitutes randomness.

I think a more direct question is whether you think lotteries cheat.  Some people seem to be suspicious about that, but I tend to believe that the states have no reason to cheat.  The games are built in favor of the lottery.  That doesn't depend on chance, it's a structural component of the games.

I guess my answers would be that I don't know what true randomness is, and I doubt mankind's ability to make anything random.  People aren't capable of doing anything with perfection, and true randomness would be a form of perfection.  But I don't see much incentive to cheat because the state is guaranteed to be the winner in each game, given enough time.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2010, 5:19 am - IP Logged

There's some great answers and opinions coming out. This is getting interesting.

Jap69 had me convinced they're random then Jack-C brought up "sufficiently random", then Longarm introduced Quantum Mechanics which says they can't be random if we manipulate them. All the theories make sense to me which makes me wonder if I'm just wishy washy about the whole dadgum shootin match.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2010, 5:29 am - IP Logged

Quantum mechanics suggests that nothing that can be influenced by humans can ever truly be random, and that the only random events are at the quantum level.  Beyond that, I also question what exactly constitutes randomness.

I think a more direct question is whether you think lotteries cheat.  Some people seem to be suspicious about that, but I tend to believe that the states have no reason to cheat.  The games are built in favor of the lottery.  That doesn't depend on chance, it's a structural component of the games.

I guess my answers would be that I don't know what true randomness is, and I doubt mankind's ability to make anything random.  People aren't capable of doing anything with perfection, and true randomness would be a form of perfection.  But I don't see much incentive to cheat because the state is guaranteed to be the winner in each game, given enough time.

I agree with your contention about the states not having much incentive to cheat because they're already guaranteed to be the winner over time and I don't want to make this thread about cheating.

But we also can't leave out the fact that Tennessee was caught with a switch on their computers which would rule out the possibility of doubles being drawn.

--Edmund Burke

DFW, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #78628
                            August 18, 2009
                            134 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2010, 5:36 am - IP Logged

There's some great answers and opinions coming out. This is getting interesting.

Jap69 had me convinced they're random then Jack-C brought up "sufficiently random", then Longarm introduced Quantum Mechanics which says they can't be random if we manipulate them. All the theories make sense to me which makes me wonder if I'm just wishy washy about the whole dadgum shootin match.

Reading over what was written, "sufficient randomness" and perfection are ideas that, to me, get toward an answer to your question.

A perfect lottery would be random.  We don't have perfect cars, or perfect computers, or perfect lotteries.  I would view true randomness as a form of perfection, which is unattainable.

In spite of the lack of perfection, I still like ball machines.  Even if we assume that they're not more random, they can't as easily be misprogrammed, and malfunctions are more likely to be visible.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5603 Posts
                              Posted: August 8, 2010, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Some day they're gonna pipe in Hi-Speed Internet to us hillbillies way back in the woods so we can watch them videos too.

Well, rdgrnr, they have to figure out how to pipe in sunshine first. LOL.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)