Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I think I lost a friend of 15 years.

Topic closed. 89 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #54390
August 17, 2007
313 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2010, 2:39 am - IP Logged

I haven't been here in months because I have been cutting back on the lottery.  I've been only playing the Mega Millions when it goes over $100 million(like now).

Money really make people two-faced. This is why I'm worried what will happen if I actually won a huge jackpot prize.

On November 30, I was helping my friend, a single mother of one kid, go grocery shopping.  After we were done, I told her that I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbers.  She picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!  I paid off my electric, gas and rent bill for that month.  I also gave her $20 for picking the numbers.   2 days later, I took her and her daughter to a nice, upscale restaurant on my tab and I thought everything was dandy...WRONG.   We decided that I would buy some premium whiskey(Jack Daniels Single Barrel) and we would drink it at her house and watch a movie.  After a few drinks, she started to get irritated about something and I asked her what was wrong.  She told me that I should have given her at least $100 for picking the numbers.  At that point, I thought to myself about all of the unfortuanate jackpot winners like Jack Whittaker and the Floridian Jackpot winner was shot and killed shortly after a jackpot win.

To make the story short, we argued about it for 30 minutes even though I know I didn't do anything wrong.  I've known her for 15 years; she was so nice and sweet.  After I won that money, which is all gone already, she had a devil in her and she drastically changed.  It seemed like she was some machine and couldn't help being two-faced. 

Winning that $750 didn't make me two-faced at all. All I did was pay my bills, treated her and her daughter out to dinner and gave her some money for giving me the numbers. 

It's hard to trust human beings.  The human brain is so dang complex..especially when it senses money.....it's amazing....Thumbs Down

sparkles919's avatar - Miss Sparkles_logo_-_large_-_25-02-05.gif

United States
    Member #101571
    December 4, 2010
    13 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2010, 2:51 am - IP Logged

I'm sorry. Whenever someone gives me a number like this I always buy them the same one for 50 cents just cause I know something like this would happen

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2657 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2010, 7:44 am - IP Logged

I haven't been here in months because I have been cutting back on the lottery.  I've been only playing the Mega Millions when it goes over $100 million(like now).

Money really make people two-faced. This is why I'm worried what will happen if I actually won a huge jackpot prize.

On November 30, I was helping my friend, a single mother of one kid, go grocery shopping.  After we were done, I told her that I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbers.  She picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!  I paid off my electric, gas and rent bill for that month.  I also gave her $20 for picking the numbers.   2 days later, I took her and her daughter to a nice, upscale restaurant on my tab and I thought everything was dandy...WRONG.   We decided that I would buy some premium whiskey(Jack Daniels Single Barrel) and we would drink it at her house and watch a movie.  After a few drinks, she started to get irritated about something and I asked her what was wrong.  She told me that I should have given her at least $100 for picking the numbers.  At that point, I thought to myself about all of the unfortuanate jackpot winners like Jack Whittaker and the Floridian Jackpot winner was shot and killed shortly after a jackpot win.

To make the story short, we argued about it for 30 minutes even though I know I didn't do anything wrong.  I've known her for 15 years; she was so nice and sweet.  After I won that money, which is all gone already, she had a devil in her and she drastically changed.  It seemed like she was some machine and couldn't help being two-faced. 

Winning that $750 didn't make me two-faced at all. All I did was pay my bills, treated her and her daughter out to dinner and gave her some money for giving me the numbers. 

It's hard to trust human beings.  The human brain is so dang complex..especially when it senses money.....it's amazing....Thumbs Down

Twitch file this under extreme gray haired & green faced moment ...... and write her off

such is life

nassau
        Bahamas
        Member #72170
        March 11, 2009
        155 Posts
        Posted: December 14, 2010, 8:15 am - IP Logged

You did nothing wrong , i alway give people number,s and they catches if they want to give something they could if not what the <snip>, i could of buy the number to. that girl is not you friend what about if you did won 7millionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. im sure you would have fix her up. I have a friend where i dont win like that and she usually have her lil hits she always look out for me, thanks geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  You should be glad she showed you her bad side before you win your millionssssssssssssss, remember me.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

olplugger's avatar - moon2
          Mechanicsville, VA
          United States
          Member #84145
          December 23, 2009
          1523 Posts
          Posted: December 14, 2010, 8:29 am - IP Logged

An old adage, "Burned and learned".  There are plenty of numbers to play here on LP where like-minded lottery folks gather.

I once gave a 'friend' the number 800.  It hit on the night draw and he played the day draw. . . was not a pleasant experience!

Since then I don't do that kind of thing.  So I can honestly feel your pain.  A true friend is someone who would give their life

for you.

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40339 Posts
            Posted: December 14, 2010, 8:59 am - IP Logged

An old adage, "Burned and learned".  There are plenty of numbers to play here on LP where like-minded lottery folks gather.

I once gave a 'friend' the number 800.  It hit on the night draw and he played the day draw. . . was not a pleasant experience!

Since then I don't do that kind of thing.  So I can honestly feel your pain.  A true friend is someone who would give their life

for you.

well said olplugger.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
              Clarksville
              United States
              Member #487
              July 15, 2002
              17638 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2010, 9:13 am - IP Logged

I'm sorry, I agree with the lady.  You should have given her some money.  Maybe not the 100.00  that she wanted but something.  Instead, you made sure YOUR NEEDS were taken care of with no thought to her.  Maybe she wanted to do something for her child.  I always make sure that if a person gives me a number, I buy them a ticket also or if I hit, I give them some money.  You can never know what they are really going through.  Taking her and her child to dinner was just further "rubbing" salt in the wound.  You could have given her the money that you paid for the meal.  Maybe she is better off without you being her friend because you showed her just how much you care for YOURSELF and to H#LL with everybody else.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

temptustoo's avatar - cat anm.gif
                usa
                United States
                Member #89197
                April 2, 2010
                2817 Posts
                Posted: December 14, 2010, 9:47 am - IP Logged

I'm sorry, I agree with the lady.  You should have given her some money.  Maybe not the 100.00  that she wanted but something.  Instead, you made sure YOUR NEEDS were taken care of with no thought to her.  Maybe she wanted to do something for her child.  I always make sure that if a person gives me a number, I buy them a ticket also or if I hit, I give them some money.  You can never know what they are really going through.  Taking her and her child to dinner was just further "rubbing" salt in the wound.  You could have given her the money that you paid for the meal.  Maybe she is better off without you being her friend because you showed her just how much you care for YOURSELF and to H#LL with everybody else.

She gave her 20 dollars and I totally disagree with you ...    She didnt have to give her anything .   Very sweet of her to take them to dinner and give her 20 dollars..   People are just GREEDY !!!!

Redbonec4's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                  Dunn, NC
                  United States
                  Member #97560
                  September 19, 2010
                  929 Posts
                  Posted: December 14, 2010, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Littleoldlady... I totally agree with you... Although she did not owe her friend anything... A true friend would have atleast given her $100.. What the He double hockey sticks can you do with $20... Nothing... As her friend she probably had shared with you her struggles and when you won the money she felt like you would help her out... So you showed your true colors... YOu won $750 and Gave her $20.... $50 would have been better than $20... If that was all you was going to give her... then you should have kept the win to yourself and not said anything to her... I agree with littleoldlady your fried thought you was rubbing salt in her wounds.

LET'S GET THIS MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: December 14, 2010, 9:55 am - IP Logged

This is an interesting situation. I'd have to know more information.

If the only tickets I bought were the 2 tickets, one for a dollar and one for 50 cents with both having the same number my friend recommended, then I'd feel obligated to give my friend at least 200 bucks, maybe 250 bucks. However, If I buy 10 bucks worth of tickets everyday, and one of them happened to be her suggestion, then I would probably give about 50 bucks.

I feel this way primarily because If my friend is willing to partially pay for the cost of my tickets everyday, then he/she would get the correct proportion of the win dependant on how much the friend chipped in. If they're not willing to share the cost of playing, they should only get a consolation prize....lol

A similar situation happened to me when I first moved to Florida over 11 years ago. About  a month or so after moving here, I decided to play all the telephone area codes in the immediate and surrounding towns. In total, there were about 5 or 6 combos. I went to the Publix shopping center to buy my tix at the customer service. The nice lady looked at the tickets which were being printed, and immediately caught the common thread of the numbers. She advised me that I had overlooked one area code (949 at that time), so I thanked her for the heads up and played it with the rest of my picks. Sure enough, the area code she reminded me of showed straight winning me 500 bucks.

The next day I returned to the store and and found her at the customer service desk and told her what happened. I tried giving her a 50 dollar bill, but she said they weren't allowed to accept any gratuities. I pled for her to take it but she refused. So  I crumpled the 50 dollar bill up in a small ball and non chalantly flicked it her way, sliding it accross the counter, and told her I understand about the policy and walked away. You should've seen the look on her face...ah ahha hah ah....

Normally, in an ideal world, the lady should get half of the 500 dollar win considering I would've never won, had it not been for her advice. There is no doubt that it's a hard call to make. Greed and the conscience battle each other until one of them gives in. And in the end, even If the greed wins, in actuality the conscience is the real winner. It may convince you to sleep better at night, or it may haunt you.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      22862 Posts
                      Posted: December 14, 2010, 10:08 am - IP Logged

What's done is done. You can't change it even if you gave her half of what was won now. Obviously, you wrote to get it off your chest or get

confirmation that you are not in the wrong.

IMO, you are guilty of being selfish and she is probably thinking the same thing about you: devil-like, a changed person, untrustworthy and

not the nice and sweet person she knew for the last 15 years.

Your friend's portion of the winnings: $20, Dinner, 1/2 bottle of Jack

Your portion of the winnings: $730, less dinner for 2 and whiskey for 2

Money didn't change either of you...it was a lack of proper judgement that got in the way. Look at it this way - you asked her for a number, it came

up...doesn't matter if you paid for it, that was your decision...would you have played 719 if she hadn't told you to? Maybe, maybe not. The point is

the number came out, won $750 and she feels she was entitled to more than the $20 cut you decided to give her. Dinner and whiskey are

incidental considering the whole scope of things. You paid your utilities and rent, she can go buy some milk and bread and a couple gallons of

gas.

There is nothing you can do now, the only thing left for you to do is determine whether or not you want to talk it over with her (talk is cheap, also

useless if you can't see eye to eye and believe me, you never will because you think you did enough, she doesn't) Trying to make it right even

if you had the money to do it by giving her half, probably wouldn't work out either - you'll always remember what she did when you thought

your generosity was enough, she'll always remember you initially thought $20 was good enough.

This is a very sticky situation. If the number did not come up, everything would be the same. It did and you were presented with the opportunity

to do the right thing. The area where you are in error is, you did the right thing for you. Did this cross your mind or lips?: Well, it was MY money!

Technically - your money but her number. You entered into an unspoken arrangement which was made even more solid by your friendship of 15

years. You involved her in the process when you asked her for a number. Why didn't you keep her in it when the number hit by giving her half of

the money? Don't make the mistake so many do by saying money got in the way....the lack of basic principles and poor judgement got in the way.

IMO, you took control of the winnings and now have to suffer the consequences. Move on but don't place the blame fully on her. Be big about

it, you got nearly all of the money, now at least take 1/2 of the blame.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: December 14, 2010, 10:23 am - IP Logged

SmoothJuice,

It's human nature. When I worked in Vegas some of us would play video games on our breaks (the old stand up arcade games). This one particular night, no matter what game I played I was getting scores with 18,19, 64, and 65 all night long. (18,000, 190,000, etc...)

Well, our crew (crew of four) got the early out that night so we went to the Horseshoe and I played a Keno ticket, 18,19,64, 65. It hit solid and I won $400. I gave the other three guys $20 each and said I'd see them at work the next night

I get to work that next night and I'm all kinds of no good @#$% !@@ because they blew about $100 each trying to win back the $20 that I gave them that they lost.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Go figure.

You are absolutely right about people and money. Gambling should always be a solo endeavor, always.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Redbonec4's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                          Dunn, NC
                          United States
                          Member #97560
                          September 19, 2010
                          929 Posts
                          Posted: December 14, 2010, 10:23 am - IP Logged

If the only tickets I bought were the 2 tickets, one for a dollar and one for 50 cents with both having the same number my friend recommended, then I'd feel obligated to give my friend at least 200 bucks, maybe 250 bucks. However, If I buy 10 bucks worth of tickets everyday, and one of them happened to be her suggestion, then I would probably give about 50 bucks.

I feel this way primarily because If my friend is willing to partially pay for the cost of my tickets everyday, then he/she would get the correct proportion of the win dependant on how much the friend chipped in. If they're not willing to share the cost of playing, they should only get a consolation prize....lol

A similar situation happened to me when I first moved to Florida over 11 years ago. About  a month or so after moving here, I decided to play all the telephone area codes in the immediate and surrounding towns. In total, there were about 5 or 6 combos. I went to the Publix shopping center to buy my tix at the customer service. The nice lady looked at the tickets which were being printed, and immediately caught the common thread of the numbers. She advised me that I had overlooked one area code (949 at that time), so I thanked her for the heads up and played it with the rest of my picks. Sure enough, the area code she reminded me of showed straight winning me 500 bucks.

The next day I returned to the store and and found her at the customer service desk and told her what happened. I tried giving her a 50 dollar bill, but she said they weren't allowed to accept any gratuities. I pled for her to take it but she refused. So  I crumpled the 50 dollar bill up in a small ball and non chalantly flicked it her way, sliding it accross the counter, and told her I understand about the policy and walked away. You should've seen the look on her face...ah ahha hah ah....

Normally, in an ideal world, the lady should get half of the 500 dollar win considering I would've never won, had it not been for her advice. There is no doubt that it's a hard call to make. Greed and the conscience battle each other until one of them gives in. And in the end, even If the greed wins, in actuality the conscience is the real winner. It may convince you to sleep better at night, or it may haunt you.

Well said Joker.... I don't think her friend was jealous.. but disappointed...

LET'S GET THIS MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            40339 Posts
                            Posted: December 14, 2010, 10:31 am - IP Logged

a honest clerk, good story, when I tip a clerk they grab it so fast your head spins.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Long Island
                              Bahamas
                              Member #59488
                              March 17, 2008
                              1555 Posts
                              Posted: December 14, 2010, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Chalk that experience up to a lesson lived and learned!

I've seen money as being the cause of many friendships (some real, some fake) to go down the dream.

If you're friendship was genuine, you two will work it out.  If it wasn't, then both of you will get over it in time and move on.

We gat haterz everywhere we go.  No longer do I cry when fake friends say, "Goodbye!"