Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I think I lost a friend of 15 years.

Topic closed. 89 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
New Jersey
United States
Member #99032
October 18, 2010
1439 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2010, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

I don't necessarily think you did anything wrong, but I probably would have given them $100 or so, if they wanted more I would tell them that they should have played the number.  If they don't play lottery, they have to realize that you spend money (on lottery-the odds are stacked against you) as well, and if it didn't win, you wouldn't expect her to pay you back any of the $1.50.

The thing is, it's all subjective to different viewpoints.  I actually probably would have bought her a ticket w/ the same number, if the thought crossed my mind, but to be honest, it probably wouldn't have because I do occasionally ask them for a number if I can't think of one.  If it won, they'd probably *expect* a little something- but it'd be my decision how much/what because I was the one who paid for the wager.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2010, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

I don't necessarily think you did anything wrong, but I probably would have given them $100 or so, if they wanted more I would tell them that they should have played the number.  If they don't play lottery, they have to realize that you spend money (on lottery-the odds are stacked against you) as well, and if it didn't win, you wouldn't expect her to pay you back any of the $1.50.

The thing is, it's all subjective to different viewpoints.  I actually probably would have bought her a ticket w/ the same number, if the thought crossed my mind, but to be honest, it probably wouldn't have because I do occasionally ask them for a number if I can't think of one.  If it won, they'd probably *expect* a little something- but it'd be my decision how much/what because I was the one who paid for the wager.

Sounds like you have a similar mind set of the clerk who redeemed a $150 winning lottery ticket for me.  Even though I had spent a lot more than $150 in the last three months at that store, she thought I could afford to give her a tip which I did when I told her "you can't win if you don't play".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
      Magnolia, Delaware
      United States
      Member #18795
      July 20, 2005
      789 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2010, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like you have a similar mind set of the clerk who redeemed a $150 winning lottery ticket for me.  Even though I had spent a lot more than $150 in the last three months at that store, she thought I could afford to give her a tip which I did when I told her "you can't win if you don't play".

RJOh, Good for you to tell the clerk the way you did!

I would have looked at her as if she had three heads or something. And then I would have asked her where does she get off asking for anything from anyone at anytime for any part of that persons proceeds from them playing the lottery! Then the next day I would have gone in to the store and told the manager what happen with that person and what I had said to that person about their forwardness!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

CJR100's avatar - anime09

United States
        Member #76247
        June 22, 2009
        2144 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2010, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Here is the thing you did incorrect let me quote you “I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbersShe picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!”

The PROBLEM is Smoothjuice once you asked her to pick the numbers you have now asked her to “Participate” which means -to take or have a part or share, as with others; partake; share : to participate in profits; to participate in a play.

Since it was your money and her numbers (she was your  friend)you should have split the money she is as you say a single mother.

You spent the money the way you wanted did you ever consider she would have liked to spend the money on paying some of her bills as well and not have had the dinner, the whisky & 20 bucks.

Take Care what goes around comes around Karma can be a B

Wink CJR~

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
          ORLANDO, FLORIDA
          United States
          Member #4924
          June 3, 2004
          5912 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2010, 3:55 am - IP Logged

Here is the thing you did incorrect let me quote you “I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbersShe picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!”

The PROBLEM is Smoothjuice once you asked her to pick the numbers you have now asked her to “Participate” which means -to take or have a part or share, as with others; partake; share : to participate in profits; to participate in a play.

Since it was your money and her numbers (she was your  friend)you should have split the money she is as you say a single mother.

You spent the money the way you wanted did you ever consider she would have liked to spend the money on paying some of her bills as well and not have had the dinner, the whisky & 20 bucks.

Finally, someone understands the issue!! When you asked her to pick the numbers, you were playing for both of you. You knew she didn't have the money to buy a ticket!!!

sweetie7398's avatar - flower2
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #22702
            September 30, 2005
            3055 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2010, 4:14 am - IP Logged

Finally, someone understands the issue!! When you asked her to pick the numbers, you were playing for both of you. You knew she didn't have the money to buy a ticket!!!

Precisely.

Life, love, family Love

saber's avatar - the eye.png
              NoWhere
              United States
              Member #3243
              January 5, 2004
              84 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2010, 5:32 am - IP Logged

I have noticed something:

Majority(not all) of the Women on this thread thought I was greedy, even though I was kind to her. (The ones who thought I wasn't greedy--those are the type of lady-friends I want)

Majority(not all) of the Men thought I was kind and generous to her.  Majority of the men took account that I helped her go grocery shopping, paid for the ticket, took her to an upscale restaurant(Her tab was $25+10 for her daughter), bought her some expensive Jack Daniels Single Barrel whiskey ($55),plus I gave her $20 cash. 

I wonder if there is a difference in Men and Women when it comes to Human Kindness, Money, and Human Labor.

I'm still shocked by the negative responses, especially when it's coming from a lottery forum.  To those of you who thought I was kind to her, GOD BLESS YOU.

We were friends for 15 years and everything changed in a snap when the lottery came around.  She's the type of "friend" I would not want if I won the Mega Millions Jackpot and if she would have won the Mega Millions, she'd end up like Jack Whittaker and the other irresponsible lottery winners.

I still think it was nice what you did. I guess she felt if you are here friend and know what she need that she should of done more.   But there is a saying "money will broke up friendship".

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                Member #81314
                October 16, 2009
                19003 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2010, 5:52 am - IP Logged

You should have given her half. "Filedone"

The Struggle is real!

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                  Member #81314
                  October 16, 2009
                  19003 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2010, 5:56 am - IP Logged

^5 CJR100

I have a friend, we both lost loved ones , and their birthday's are 727.

So, one day, I told him, I'm going to play the number for you and me.

It hit last year on Thanksgiving,  I had 4 tickets, str/box, for midday and evening,  2 for him, 2 for me.

Yes, it was my $4.00. 

I had the tickets laying under my laptop, someone called me and said, "your 727 came in, did you get it"?  I said, yes, 2 times, 1 for me, and 1 for my friend.

So , I won $800.00.  because, I played the number twice, but, I gave him a ticket and I had a ticket.

He tried to give me half when he cashed it,, but, I said, "NO",  that's your ticket, I played it for you, I have my ticket.

"Do the Right Thing"

Good Luck. 

The Struggle is real!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4532 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2010, 8:48 am - IP Logged

neither a borrower or lender be. That solves the whole dynamics.

My coworkers did enjoy the follies of comments...so thanks for those opinions, they validated some folks are still in the learning stages of life.

FRIEND SHIP AND GIFTS- NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Lesson be learned.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2010, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

I haven't been here in months because I have been cutting back on the lottery.  I've been only playing the Mega Millions when it goes over $100 million(like now).

Money really make people two-faced. This is why I'm worried what will happen if I actually won a huge jackpot prize.

On November 30, I was helping my friend, a single mother of one kid, go grocery shopping.  After we were done, I told her that I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbers.  She picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!  I paid off my electric, gas and rent bill for that month.  I also gave her $20 for picking the numbers.   2 days later, I took her and her daughter to a nice, upscale restaurant on my tab and I thought everything was dandy...WRONG.   We decided that I would buy some premium whiskey(Jack Daniels Single Barrel) and we would drink it at her house and watch a movie.  After a few drinks, she started to get irritated about something and I asked her what was wrong.  She told me that I should have given her at least $100 for picking the numbers.  At that point, I thought to myself about all of the unfortuanate jackpot winners like Jack Whittaker and the Floridian Jackpot winner was shot and killed shortly after a jackpot win.

To make the story short, we argued about it for 30 minutes even though I know I didn't do anything wrong.  I've known her for 15 years; she was so nice and sweet.  After I won that money, which is all gone already, she had a devil in her and she drastically changed.  It seemed like she was some machine and couldn't help being two-faced. 

Winning that $750 didn't make me two-faced at all. All I did was pay my bills, treated her and her daughter out to dinner and gave her some money for giving me the numbers. 

It's hard to trust human beings.  The human brain is so dang complex..especially when it senses money.....it's amazing....Thumbs Down

Pretty much what RJOh said, plus ....

A: (Hopefully) you've learned how many more people have this same sense of entitlement -- the "unspoken arrangement" that you eat the losses and we share the wins. Thumbs Down

B: You only THINK you had an argument at 30 mins long. This lesson cost you only the price of a couple of dinners -- i.e. be glad you didn't ask her for an opinion on a jackpot game's numbers ... and had won. The price of your learning could have been much higher and gone on for months.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                        Clarksville
                        United States
                        Member #487
                        July 15, 2002
                        17638 Posts
                        Posted: December 20, 2010, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Majority(not all) of the Women on this thread thought I was greedy, even though I was kind to her. (The ones who thought I wasn't greedy--those are the type of lady-friends I want)

Majority(not all) of the Men thought I was kind and generous to her.  Majority of the men took account that I helped her go grocery shopping, paid for the ticket, took her to an upscale restaurant(Her tab was $25+10 for her daughter), bought her some expensive Jack Daniels Single Barrel whiskey ($55),plus I gave her $20 cash

NOT GREEDY...CONTROLLING AND SELFISH  ARE THE WORDS!!

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Vancouver
                          Canada
                          Member #99832
                          November 1, 2010
                          16 Posts
                          Posted: December 20, 2010, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

You should give her something at last what she said 100 $. Is not of her being selfish is something that we call respect. she helped you and you need to show gratitude for it.

Well here is my story, i was recently in grossery shop where i am paying my lotto ticket every time. The guy infront of me was buying scratch tickets and i said to him take yellow bing and luck wil be on your side. He did take it and leave. 

I was traveling for a week and when i came back the clark in the shop gave me an envalop. I find inside 500 $ and thank you note from the guy. First i did not even remember who the person was till shop owner told me that guy won on yellow bingo ticket 25.000 $.

But then for the end, money change people.

My question is how much would you give her if you would hit jackpot ?

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                            San Jose, California
                            United States
                            Member #42003
                            June 26, 2006
                            206 Posts
                            Posted: December 20, 2010, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

You should give her something at last what she said 100 $. Is not of her being selfish is something that we call respect. she helped you and you need to show gratitude for it.

Well here is my story, i was recently in grossery shop where i am paying my lotto ticket every time. The guy infront of me was buying scratch tickets and i said to him take yellow bing and luck wil be on your side. He did take it and leave. 

I was traveling for a week and when i came back the clark in the shop gave me an envalop. I find inside 500 $ and thank you note from the guy. First i did not even remember who the person was till shop owner told me that guy won on yellow bingo ticket 25.000 $.

But then for the end, money change people.

My question is how much would you give her if you would hit jackpot ?

So let say, the ladyfriend were like a business consultant; she gave SmoothJuice the numbers, a suggested business decision. And SmoothJuice assumed all 100% of the risk by waging $1.50; I condider this as an investment because playing lottery is like a business you have to treat it like one. If SmoothJuice did not win, an opportunity of $750 of would be lost, so did the original investment. The ladyfriend would get nothing no fee. But that would be odd in business. What if SmoothJuice had to pay for that consulting fee, how much would be enough given the uncertainty nature of winning lottery? To avoid aligation, they must agree the terms in advance. I think 2% to 5% would be enough. SmoothJuice's ladyfriend received more than you did in terms of percentage, JCYVR. Your $500 was 2% of the $25000, while SmoothJuice's giving added up 15% of the winning ($20, meals, whisky). She got a bonus there.

Unforunately, both did not have a verbal or written contract. The sharing of SmoothJuice's winning was determined on subjective principles. SmoothJuice thought it was justified to give a "friendship building package" treatment, while the ladyfriend preferred hard cold cash of $100 because she really needed it. Both were right on his/her own perspective, but not having a contract, even a verbal one, was wrong . It turned the relationship into a sour mess.

If I were a judge, I would say that Smoothjuice's action was justified because the value of the gift was above $100.

-------------------------

Lesson learned

-------------------------

If you are not willing to share up to half the your lottery winning, don't get your friends or even families involving in such ambiguous business. Shut them out from the beginning because money has power; it can turn anglic friends into money-motivated demons.

Vancouver
                              Canada
                              Member #99832
                              November 1, 2010
                              16 Posts
                              Posted: December 20, 2010, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Hi Dingo,

i get your point, but point in the story was not how much i got. I told to stranger that i met in shop to pick up a ticket, there was no cotract or neither we are or we were friends before and neither he did not ask me which ticket to pick.

going into his story is a friend and when friend helps you out or make you happy, rich whatever someone wanna call it should the respect for it.

Now looking into my story he was strange and he did find and efort to go back and say thank you, i am not saying he did not gave me enough or anything the point is he was a stranger and i was a stranger to him and he show a respect.

Considering he ask for numbers is far to give something more then a 20 $ bill.