Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I think I lost a friend of 15 years.

Topic closed. 89 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Sunny California
United States
Member #40295
May 31, 2006
7712 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2010, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I think the biggest problem is that you won using her daughter's birthday. Maybe the best thing you could have done was buy her a ticket too since it was a "special" number to her. If you'd shelled out another buck fifty you wouldn't be in this situation now. If it was me I would have given her more money...no dinner and NO whiskey! Especially not with a young child around. Well, at the time you did what you thought was right...it's not our place to judge. It's only after a situation is over we wonder what we did wrong or what we could have done differently. 

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49642 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2010, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I haven't been here in months because I have been cutting back on the lottery.  I've been only playing the Mega Millions when it goes over $100 million(like now).

Money really make people two-faced. This is why I'm worried what will happen if I actually won a huge jackpot prize.

On November 30, I was helping my friend, a single mother of one kid, go grocery shopping.  After we were done, I told her that I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbers.  She picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!  I paid off my electric, gas and rent bill for that month.  I also gave her $20 for picking the numbers.   2 days later, I took her and her daughter to a nice, upscale restaurant on my tab and I thought everything was dandy...WRONG.   We decided that I would buy some premium whiskey(Jack Daniels Single Barrel) and we would drink it at her house and watch a movie.  After a few drinks, she started to get irritated about something and I asked her what was wrong.  She told me that I should have given her at least $100 for picking the numbers.  At that point, I thought to myself about all of the unfortuanate jackpot winners like Jack Whittaker and the Floridian Jackpot winner was shot and killed shortly after a jackpot win.

To make the story short, we argued about it for 30 minutes even though I know I didn't do anything wrong.  I've known her for 15 years; she was so nice and sweet.  After I won that money, which is all gone already, she had a devil in her and she drastically changed.  It seemed like she was some machine and couldn't help being two-faced. 

Winning that $750 didn't make me two-faced at all. All I did was pay my bills, treated her and her daughter out to dinner and gave her some money for giving me the numbers. 

It's hard to trust human beings.  The human brain is so dang complex..especially when it senses money.....it's amazing....Thumbs Down

Consider Yourself Lucky:

Friendship Splintered Over Gambling, Ended in Murder
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/29/AR2009012904059.html

$5M lottery win ruins friendship
    http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1427465

Those who have prospered and profited from life's lottery have a moral obligation to share their good fortune.
    Dick Gephardt

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #49980
      February 21, 2007
      34107 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2010, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I have always been told that money can ruin the best friendships, relationships, and even marriages. Hate to hear that a friendship was lost over money, if it was a real friendship. Just remember the best way to have a REAL friendship is to leave money out of it.

I think i would have just given her money, no dinner and no drinking. MONEY CHANGES THINGS AND PEOPLE IN A LOT OF CASES.

This so True!!  I agree with what you said Amen to that!

I have seen a lot of people lose Friendship over Money!!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
        Magnolia, Delaware
        United States
        Member #18795
        July 20, 2005
        789 Posts
        Posted: December 14, 2010, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

I haven't been here in months because I have been cutting back on the lottery.  I've been only playing the Mega Millions when it goes over $100 million(like now).

Money really make people two-faced. This is why I'm worried what will happen if I actually won a huge jackpot prize.

On November 30, I was helping my friend, a single mother of one kid, go grocery shopping.  After we were done, I told her that I was going to buy a Pick 3 lottery game and I wanted her to pick the numbers.  She picked her daughter's birthday, 7-19-2004 (719).  I wagered $1.50 and won $750!!!!  I paid off my electric, gas and rent bill for that month.  I also gave her $20 for picking the numbers.   2 days later, I took her and her daughter to a nice, upscale restaurant on my tab and I thought everything was dandy...WRONG.   We decided that I would buy some premium whiskey(Jack Daniels Single Barrel) and we would drink it at her house and watch a movie.  After a few drinks, she started to get irritated about something and I asked her what was wrong.  She told me that I should have given her at least $100 for picking the numbers.  At that point, I thought to myself about all of the unfortuanate jackpot winners like Jack Whittaker and the Floridian Jackpot winner was shot and killed shortly after a jackpot win.

To make the story short, we argued about it for 30 minutes even though I know I didn't do anything wrong.  I've known her for 15 years; she was so nice and sweet.  After I won that money, which is all gone already, she had a devil in her and she drastically changed.  It seemed like she was some machine and couldn't help being two-faced. 

Winning that $750 didn't make me two-faced at all. All I did was pay my bills, treated her and her daughter out to dinner and gave her some money for giving me the numbers. 

It's hard to trust human beings.  The human brain is so dang complex..especially when it senses money.....it's amazing....Thumbs Down

I have to say this; First and foremost you as the one who put out the $1.50 to purchase the pick3 ticket should have kept your mouth shut as to how much you won!

Second you paid for the ticket and yet you took them both (mother & child) out for a nice dinner and yet you still bought a bottle of jack on top of that still yet again you gave the mother $20.00! I say that should have been good enough of a reward to the mother for doing nothing but giving a few numbers to someone to play on the pick3. But as we all know in this world, money in any amount does funny things to people!

Maybe this will be a well learned lesson as what not to do in the future (keeping mouth shut as to how much was won)!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19817 Posts
          Posted: December 14, 2010, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure more than one person here have played numbers suggested by a friends many times and won nothing and then if they finally win something, the friends expect a nice share of their winnings.  What about those friends sharing the cost of all those losses? 

It's not a friend who consider your losses your problems and your winnings partly theirs.  Any friend who expects to share your winnings should share your losses too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7297 Posts
            Posted: December 14, 2010, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I think the biggest problem is that you won using her daughter's birthday. Maybe the best thing you could have done was buy her a ticket too since it was a "special" number to her. If you'd shelled out another buck fifty you wouldn't be in this situation now. If it was me I would have given her more money...no dinner and NO whiskey! Especially not with a young child around. Well, at the time you did what you thought was right...it's not our place to judge. It's only after a situation is over we wonder what we did wrong or what we could have done differently. 

I Agree! 

When I first read the odd amount ($1.50) I assumed SmoothJuice was making the extra 50 cent bet for their friend and maybe the friend made the same assumption. Every time I've asked someone for a number, I get a ticket for them; just in case.

The situation would have been different if the friend had just offered the number like we see almost everyday on LP, but in this example a specific request was made for a number to play. There is nothing wrong about deducting the cost of the ticket from the winnings, but offering only $20, in my humble opinion is a slap in the face.

I would have gave them $250 and had them take me out to dinner and buy the booze.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #77101
              July 13, 2009
              7805 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2010, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

I agree 100% with you Joker17!!

Why post if you were not prepared to hear the numerous & individual  honest opinions.

I had a lady who is just a co-worker not even a close friend who shared a number with me that she dreamt, I won $500 and only saw it fit to give her 40% ($200) of my winnings. The extra 10% I kept because it was my money If she had not given me the number I would have had $0. Everyone plays for their own special reasons, some are trying to pay bills, buy a home, leisure. While the additional $200 I gave her could have helped me, her giving me that number that won made me feel she might be in need too. I could have bought her a gift but I gave her the money in case there was something more important she wanted to do.

Honestly, I have to say $20 was not a fair share for someone who gave you a win of $750. The money you spent on the Whiskey and Dinner was clearly an opportunity for you to combine something extra with the $20.

Ask yourself..Why did you feel it was important for you to pay your bills with your share and not give her enough for her to pay a bill? Also, ask yourself HONESTLY if the shoe was on the other foot HOW WOULD YOU have want it to be handled.

I wont rally on with anything further but I noticed something in your response to the individuals who had previously commented.  You were so wrong for calling out your friend like that (talking about food stamps and that other personal stuff you said) Even a bad situation or  misunderstanding like this  A REAL FRIEND would stick to the point and not disgrace their FRIEND.

Someone said it earlier, It appears you were not looking for advice to resolve your concern...you just wanted to know that you were right!

I do hope you can truly search within yourself and resolve this because 15 years of Friendship is truly a long time to let go down the drain.

Lunch time! Headed to the Cafeteria!

Do enjoy!!

"Why post if you were not prepared to hear the numerous & individual honest opinions."

I Agree!

"Honestly, I have to say $20 was not a fair share for someone who gave you a win of $750. The money you spent on the Whiskey and Dinner was clearly an opportunity for you to combine something extra with the $20. "  Seriously, I was thinking the exact same thing - did SmoothJuice really think this would lead to a happy ending?!  LOL
              I Agree!

"You were so wrong for calling out your friend like that (talking about food stamps and that other personal stuff you said) Even a bad situation or  misunderstanding like this  A REAL FRIEND would stick to the point and not disgrace their FRIEND." Obviously spoken in anger but still tacky, tacky, tacky - true colors shining through.

I Agree!

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping

United States
                Member #91313
                May 15, 2010
                141 Posts
                Posted: December 14, 2010, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure more than one person here have played numbers suggested by a friends many times and won nothing and then if they finally win something, the friends expect a nice share of their winnings.  What about those friends sharing the cost of all those losses? 

It's not a friend who consider your losses your problems and your winnings partly theirs.  Any friend who expects to share your winnings should share your losses too.

had not given me the number I would have had $0...

Geez that this  mean the right thing to do is every time I win, Is a cut check to the lottery Director for even giving me a chance to play? and win otherwise I would have had $0...  .......

Thank you Lottery Director..

Thank you who ever prints the slips..

Thank you convenience store...

Thank you politicians for allowed me to play...

Thank you hey you...told me play those numbers...

(other side) Wait a minute!  Thank you my ace...it is just a word is not enough no,no,no,no,no,no

Give me $$$$$$something instead$$$$$$....and I promise to be the your best friend for the rest of our lives....you have something I want$$$$$$

NOW...... WHERE IS EVERYBODY WHEN  YOU LOOSE!!!!! ANYBODY? THERE HELLO... Poke

If you want God to laugh, tell him your plans!

United States
                  Member #91313
                  May 15, 2010
                  141 Posts
                  Posted: December 14, 2010, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Consider Yourself Lucky:

Friendship Splintered Over Gambling, Ended in Murder
                  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/29/AR2009012904059.html

$5M lottery win ruins friendship
                  http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1427465

Those who have prospered and profited from life's lottery have a moral obligation to share their good fortune.
                  Dick Gephardt

Yep he could be in small claims court too that is more realistic..it will not surprise me

If you want God to laugh, tell him your plans!

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: December 14, 2010, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

had not given me the number I would have had $0...

Geez that this  mean the right thing to do is every time I win, Is a cut check to the lottery Director for even giving me a chance to play? and win otherwise I would have had $0...  .......

Thank you Lottery Director..

Thank you who ever prints the slips..

Thank you convenience store...

Thank you politicians for allowed me to play...

Thank you hey you...told me play those numbers...

(other side) Wait a minute!  Thank you my ace...it is just a word is not enough no,no,no,no,no,no

Give me $$$$$$something instead$$$$$$....and I promise to be the your best friend for the rest of our lives....you have something I want$$$$$$

NOW...... WHERE IS EVERYBODY WHEN  YOU LOOSE!!!!! ANYBODY? THERE HELLO... Poke

What?

You're confusing two distinct issues here.

Now that's reaching....!

Now, had the Lottery director called me personally and gave me a number to play and it won, then you would have a point, and I'd personally cut a check.

Had the convenience store owner gave me a number to play and it won, same as above.

Same with the politician.

Apples and oranges dude/dudette.....

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                      Clarksville
                      United States
                      Member #487
                      July 15, 2002
                      17638 Posts
                      Posted: December 14, 2010, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

You have lost something "special" with your friend.  It can be decribed as trust, honesty, loyalty, generosity and something else I just can't put into words.  There is a special bond that can grow between friends that is very strong and withstands all sorts of stresses and strains.  I have a friend who used my money to hit a number that I gave her (I didn't know she had played it until the next day.  She borrowed my money supposedly to pay the balance on a phone bill) and the only thing I had asked from her at the time was to give me a ride to the lottery place so I could play the number for myself. I had no transportation at that time. She didn't show up until the next day after the number had hit.  I was very hurt.  She gave me a half pint of liquor and a pack of cigarettes.  I was even more mortified.  Even though we are still friends, I will not trust her to the extent that I used to and I will not go to the lengths of helping her that I had previously.  I used to help her keep her utilities on, used my CC to help her pay bills, etc.   She is still my friend but something was lost on that day and as I said, I just can't describe it. It has absolutely nothing to do with money..it is more like a kind of trust that you have in a person to treat you like ...YOU MATTER.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: December 14, 2010, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

ROFL                                       Green laugh

Half a pint of liquor........A bottle of whiskey.........You go girls.....ahha hha hha ah

Lots of Alcohol trading going on here...lol

If my dad gives me a winning number, I'm gonna buy him a bottle of MD20/20.......Green laugh

md

United States
                          Member #54390
                          August 17, 2007
                          313 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2010, 2:37 am - IP Logged

I want to thank everyone for their replies.  I have to award RJOh for the best reply ever, which is what I quoted above...

RJOh: I hope Karma treats you well and I hope you win the jackpot and meet nice friends who don't care about your money.

"It's not a friend who consider your losses your problems and your winnings partly theirs.  Any friend who expect to share your winnings should share your losses too." -RJOh

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: December 15, 2010, 3:23 am - IP Logged

how about i post a list of every combo possible,  and suggest people follow them?

now wheres my cut?

suggestions are easy and there is no combeack from the free loader who suggested when the numbers lose. only when they win, and they dont even put in the money.

a pretty sweet arangement. i gotta stop playing and start suggesting.

then again you know there would be some comeback after asking here to suggest numbers, and then playing them.

this is your fault as much as hers.

if poeple want a cut, buy half the ticket, if you use other peoples suggestions wear the responsibilities, if you value the freindship ask her how much to stop her winging. and pay it.,

rack it upto experience.

if she wants half,  then you weigh up whats worth more? $250 you would never have got, or her  freindship.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
                              OHIO
                              United States
                              Member #4164
                              March 27, 2004
                              14586 Posts
                              Posted: December 15, 2010, 3:57 am - IP Logged

I'm sorry. Whenever someone gives me a number like this I always buy them the same one for 50 cents just cause I know something like this would happen

Iagree with you sparkles919, because yes as you say it is just because luck like that can happen, and money is not worth losing the 15 year friendship over.....

She has a child and you are always needing things to help raise a child that 750.00 would have been a blessing for her also and the friendship would still be intacted.....You have to think she has bills and obligations also.....

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/