Mega Millions lottery winner recounts epic win

Jan 6, 2011, 7:42 pm (61 comments)

Mega Millions

Includes video report

OLYMPIA, Wash. — No, Carolyn, it's not a heart attack. It's a fortune.

The man who bought one of two winning tickets in the $380 million Mega Millions lottery frightened his wife when he woke her Tuesday night to share the life-changing news.

"I was pale, shaking. She thought I was having a heart attack," retiree Jim McCullar recalled.

When his wife, Carolyn, asked if he was OK, he replied: "I'm perfect."

On Thursday, the couple and their adult children stepped forward to publicly claim one half of the second-largest lottery jackpot in history. Whoever is holding the other winning ticket, purchased in neighboring Idaho, remained a mystery.

At a news conference in Washington's capital city, the McCullars took hold of the oversized check, marveling at all the zeros in $190 million. Jim McCullar, 68, then promptly handed it over to his wife, 63.

"We've been married 41 years," he said. "I know what to do with this check."

In Washington, no state taxes would apply. The lump sum payment would be $90 million after the 25 percent federal tax. The McCullars said they hadn't decided how to take the payment.

In Idaho, the lucky winner has the option of taking a nearly $81 million lump sum payment after state and federal taxes are withheld, state lottery officials said.

Jim McCullar, a retired Boeing Co. worker, bought his ticket at a supermarket in Ephrata in eastern Washington, about 125 miles from Post Falls, Idaho, a suburb of Spokane, Wash., where the other ticket was sold.

The winners had to match five numbers plus the "Mega ball." The numbers were 4, 8, 15, 25 and 47, and 42 as the Mega ball.

The McCullars have played some combination of those numbers for years because they're based on the couple's birthdays. It has worked before: Jim McCullar said he won about $18,000 several years ago playing similar numbers on a keno game in Oregon.

The prospect of winning the enormous jackpot drew huge interest across the country as thousands of people lined up to buy tickets in the 41 states and Washington, D.C., where the lottery is held.

In March 2007, two winners, in Georgia and New Jersey, shared the richest prize — a $390 million Mega Millions jackpot.

Jim McCullar said he had rough plans to give some donations to charities, though he declined to name which ones. He has already given his notice at the real estate company where he was working.

The couple has been house hunting, and knows they can afford a larger place — but not too big, he said. An RV might be in their future to visit friends and family around the country, and to "hide out" for a while.

McCullar said the money will, of course, help his large extended family: six children, including two from an earlier marriage; 23 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

"The legacy is going to go generation after generation after generation," he said. "We're not going to blow this."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

AP

Comments

zinniagirl's avatarzinniagirl

My congratulations to the McCullar family!!   May they not be beseiged with phony scam artists!!

sully16's avatarsully16

wow nice big family, Congrats to the McCullars.Cheers

dphillips's avatardphillips

Well, it is nice and generous he wants to take care of his kids from a previous marriage -- since we do not know their ages. Wait a minute, they are most likely under 18. He gave a press conference (I do not know if it is required) and he wants to lay low for awhile.  Is that really possible since he gave that conference? Anyway, the best to his wife and may they enjoy their new found wealth in peace.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by dphillips on Jan 6, 2011

Well, it is nice and generous he wants to take care of his kids from a previous marriage -- since we do not know their ages. Wait a minute, they are most likely under 18. He gave a press conference (I do not know if it is required) and he wants to lay low for awhile.  Is that really possible since he gave that conference? Anyway, the best to his wife and may they enjoy their new found wealth in peace.

*Kids from a previous marriage and he has been in this marriage 41 years would make them at least 40.

barbos's avatarbarbos

Didn't win but nice to see my money went to great folks. Congratulations!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by barbos on Jan 6, 2011

Didn't win but nice to see my money went to great folks. Congratulations!

Most of your money went to your state and local winners.  Only 30¢ of your dollar went toward the jackpot and he only won half of that.

barbos's avatarbarbos

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 6, 2011

Most of your money went to your state and local winners.  Only 30¢ of your dollar went toward the jackpot and he only won half of that.

Smiley  Even if it was one penny - still nice.

LckyLary

On abc news radio they said the odds of buying the 2 sets with the $150 winner and the Jackpot winner were "2.7 trillion to one" - which is completely wrong! First of all, if you play your own #s and you had 2 different tickets your odds for the Jackpot are half of 175 million to one, and if the tickets share 4 common numbers then if you win one you AUTOMATICALLY win the other $150, so the odds are not 2.7T to 1 but 87.5 million to one.

Also I see that he followed Richard Lustig's prime directive of "never change your numbers".

I also noticed something about the winning set of numbers (other than the connection to the LOST show which I hate) - but, I cannot tell you what that is...but I am using that idea for the next drawing.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by LckyLary on Jan 6, 2011

On abc news radio they said the odds of buying the 2 sets with the $150 winner and the Jackpot winner were "2.7 trillion to one" - which is completely wrong! First of all, if you play your own #s and you had 2 different tickets your odds for the Jackpot are half of 175 million to one, and if the tickets share 4 common numbers then if you win one you AUTOMATICALLY win the other $150, so the odds are not 2.7T to 1 but 87.5 million to one.

Also I see that he followed Richard Lustig's prime directive of "never change your numbers".

I also noticed something about the winning set of numbers (other than the connection to the LOST show which I hate) - but, I cannot tell you what that is...but I am using that idea for the next drawing.

I also noticed something about the winning set of numbers (other than the connection to the LOST show which I hate) - but, I cannot tell you what that is...

I noticed he didn't elaborate much about his numbers other than to say they were just some birthdays.  This guy was retired and probably spent some time picking his numbers and if he had a special way of combining them then he's probably not sharing that.

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

I need this next Powerball jackpot!!!Dance

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

six children, including two from an earlier marriage; 23 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

this guy is a bunny rabbit and so are hes offspring , he had 6, then they go out and create 23 more kids, and now the grand kids are just starting to making tiny little great-grandchildren, geez

if i ever won the lotto, i guest i need to get busy and create a empire of offspring,   as i could afford it then LOL

besides

glad to see him win thro, you know where the money going, to hes insane large family , with that many off spring under your belt you can keep busy visiting them all, let alone making that many millions work for you to help your great grand kids, he may even live to see hes great grand kids have great-great grandkids LOL

LckyLary

He has a lot of children and grandchildren so we don't know whose ages or birthdays he used, and, I wonder what the other numbers were exactly.. to win $150 only (and not $10000 or $250000) he had to either change 1 WB and the BB, or 2 WB with ??. One story said he "switched the 5th number" (with the BB?) so maybe the 2 higher numbers being reversed (WB and BB) gave a 4+0 win. Switching 2 WB out would indicate he used an algorithm (and that the report was incorrect abut the 5th number) but switching the WB and BB you normally don't want to do that! Figure also that some % of players use systems, and even if it's 1 in 50 sooner or later pure luck comes to a system player and it will SEEM like their system won. The real proof of a system is in backtesting, show that over several drawings it would have at least did better than QP.

His ticket probably looked like:

04 08 15 25 47 BB 42 (match 5+1)
04 08 15 25 42 BB 47 (match 4+0)

In my own system, one of my weaker algorithms (QP RNG) matched 2 WB and the BB.

visiondude's avatarvisiondude

the guy didn't have any magic formula,  he said he used "birthday numbers".

birthday numbers,  even switching a couple around here or there to accomodate several family members,  is still for a lack of better way to state it - "brainless".

there is no "system" in using already in place family birthdays. 

you can bet your life he didn't spend countless hours arranging them or rotating them because they were "due", etc. 

he was married before,  which at most he had more than the intial required number field to insert,  so he naturally rotated a couple of them on a couple of other tickets (unless he states otherwise)

it isn't a system,  yet systems players will attempt to make it into one.

i wish i had a dollar for everyone that played the lottery that night on their birthday numbers and lost.

there isn't any wisdom in sticking with the same numbers for years.  millions of people do that and lose.

tiggs95 said it correctly .......it's luck    (unless you believe in assigned fate...)

that is the one inherent component of the lottery,  that it can breed desperation,  and desperation makes a person think they can orchaestrate something they can't,  which is why there will still be people that play "birthday numbers" now,  and remain "panicked" if they "abandon" numbers they have had all these years.

buy a ticket and walk away.

if you are meant to,  you will...

VISIONthevoiceofnondesperationDUDE

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by visiondude on Jan 6, 2011

birthday numbers,  even switching a couple around here or there to accomodate several family members,  is still for a lack of better way to state it - "brainless".

you can bet your life he didn't spend countless hours arranging them or rotating them because they were "due", etc. 

he was married before,  which at most he had more than the intial required number field to insert,  so he naturally rotated a couple of them on a couple of other tickets (unless he states otherwise)

i wish i had a dollar for everyone that played the lottery that night on their birthday numbers and lost.

there isn't any wisdom in sticking with the same numbers for years.  millions of people do that and lose.

tiggs95 said it correctly .......it's luck    (unless you believe in assigned fate...)

that is the one inherent component of the lottery,  that it can breed desperation,  and desperation makes a person think they can orchaestrate something they can't,  which is why there will still be people that play "birthday numbers" now,  and remain "panicked" if they "abandon" numbers they have had all these years.

His way may be brainless, but he still won millions and you are still trying. I wouldn't knock the way he plays.

In fact, he is not the first one to win playing the same numbers for a long time.

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Jan 6, 2011

His way may be brainless, but he still won millions and you are still trying. I wouldn't knock the way he plays.

In fact, he is not the first one to win playing the same numbers for a long time.

after reading your response,  i realize my post might have come across as dismissive / condescending,  and i can assure you that was not my motive. 

by "brainless",  i purely meant it didn't take some long dragged out effort to obtain his numerical goal.

the gist of my post = was that i was simply making the point that there is no 'magic fast track' to a lottery jackpot win.

it's all fate or luck.

you know me (mr 1QP),  even i know 'birthday numbers" are equally valid as 1QP, as are "systems",  or any other methodology someone manufactures.

every method has an equal chance pre draw.

my goal in here is always the same........to provide common sense to a game that arrests logic from people at a record pace based on desperation.

i always hope that people like the Mcullars are blessed,  and wish them nothing but a good future with their windfall

VISION

Artemis's avatarArtemis

Congrats to them! It's always fun to hear how winners picked their numbers.

....now that I think of it, I think Jim might be my long lost cousin..thrice removed!Blue Angel

spaconbe2

Rule number #1 never go show yourself to the public that fast. these are the kind of people that get wasted so fast. that's really stupid thing to do. the other player is smart by not moving forward so quick to claim his prize. damm it...How come it always old people who win this <snip>. the people who need the most can't win it. this is bull<snip>.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

They showed the press conference on the news and the winner from Washington said, "The one in Idaho would have won a lot more if I didn't flub the last two numbers."

By him saying that I'm thinking he didn't even play all the numbers he intended, he "flubbed" the last two.

Divine Intervention? Luck? Fate?

Whatever it was, it sure wasn't a system.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

last tiem i checked 42 and 47 dont match birthdates unless its the year,  maybe he didnt  play 42/47 regul;ar just the date and year  or something,  last 2 he floubbed

Remember the female prison guard in New York this past summer who won a jackpot, meaning to play one of the 5 + 1 games and mistakenly playing the other one?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

The odds of winning the jackpot (5/5+1/49) = 1 : 175,711,536
The odds of matching (4/5+0/49) for $150   =  1 : 15,313

The odd of getting both at the same time equals

1 : 15,313  X   1 : 175,711,536 =  1 :  2,690,670,750,768 *

*I think having more than one ticket should reduce those odds by the number of chances on those tickets.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 7, 2011

The odds of winning the jackpot (5/5+1/49) = 1 : 175,711,536
The odds of matching (4/5+0/49) for $150   =  1 : 15,313

1 : 15,313  X   1 : 175,711,536 =  1 :  2,690,670,750,768 *

*I think having more than one ticket should reduce those odds by the number of chances on those tickets.

The above is how the abc news radio calculated the odds... But

Since for that to happen a player would need at least 2 tickets, I would figure the odds this way

The odds of winning the jackpot (5/5+1/49) = 2 : 175,711,536
The odds of matching (4/5+0/49) for $150    2 : 15,313

2 : 15,313      2 : 175,711,536 4 :  2,690,670,750,768  or     1  :  672,667,687,692  *

* Which would be even less if the player had more than 2 chances.

buttercake's avatarbuttercake

Congrats to him what a wonderful year and years he and his family is going to have, wishing him the best

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Congrats to the McCullar's!

I would claim my jackpot right away, but no news conference & definitely no pictures. Name & town only!

Find a place to rent right away, anddrop my land-line phone.

Approvewaiting for my big win!

dphillips's avatardphillips

spaconbe2, I am sorry you feel that 65 is old. What if the winner were 85 or 95, heaven's forbid -- your wrath would know no bounds?  If you should live long enough to reach 65, count your blessings. As far as the people who need the money, I am going to assume you are talking about younger people. Of course, he deserves it more, hello, he is retired: he does not have the working productivity years you have.

Playing the lottery is no guarantee you will win; we all play for fun with the hopes of winning, one day. However, no one can predict what year or day that winning will occur. You may be fated to win at 65 -- who knows -- at least you would have won. Anyway, most older people play the lottery, usually, consistently. The younger group usually plays when there is a large amount, i.e., $200 million or more.  I guess younger people can not live off $20 million or even $50 million, how sad!

Finally, be glad for him and his family because when you win, you will perhaps want the same congratulations from the younger ones and the older ones.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by visiondude on Jan 6, 2011

VISION I like your logic. Many have won mega millions, powerball, state lotto and other games jackpots by playing $1 QUICK PICK, $2 QUICK PICKS, $3 QUICK PICKS, $4 QUICK PICKS, $5 QUICK PICKS AND $10 QUICK PICKS. IT'S ALL ABOUT LUCK AND CHANCE.

C0w Pi3

Quote: Originally posted by dphillips on Jan 7, 2011

spaconbe2, I am sorry you feel that 65 is old. What if the winner were 85 or 95, heaven's forbid -- your wrath would know no bounds?  If you should live long enough to reach 65, count your blessings. As far as the people who need the money, I am going to assume you are talking about younger people. Of course, he deserves it more, hello, he is retired: he does not have the working productivity years you have.

Playing the lottery is no guarantee you will win; we all play for fun with the hopes of winning, one day. However, no one can predict what year or day that winning will occur. You may be fated to win at 65 -- who knows -- at least you would have won. Anyway, most older people play the lottery, usually, consistently. The younger group usually plays when there is a large amount, i.e., $200 million or more.  I guess younger people can not live off $20 million or even $50 million, how sad!

Finally, be glad for him and his family because when you win, you will perhaps want the same congratulations from the younger ones and the older ones.

Hey, I resent that, I play whenever i have the money too and I'm young and i'd be happy to win a $12,000,000 jackpot granted it be much much nicer to win more then that but who needs that much money?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by C0w Pi3 on Jan 7, 2011

Hey, I resent that, I play whenever i have the money too and I'm young and i'd be happy to win a $12,000,000 jackpot granted it be much much nicer to win more then that but who needs that much money?

If you're like most lottery players then you would be happy just to win back what you spent on tickets.

stephl81

i would like to just say CONGRADULATIONS to you and your family.....It don't matter how or why they won they did...rather you would do a news report or not doesn't matter they did and i'm proud of them and for them I wish them and there family the best and have fun....

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jan 7, 2011

VISION I like your logic. Many have won mega millions, powerball, state lotto and other games jackpots by playing $1 QUICK PICK, $2 QUICK PICKS, $3 QUICK PICKS, $4 QUICK PICKS, $5 QUICK PICKS AND $10 QUICK PICKS. IT'S ALL ABOUT LUCK AND CHANCE.

thanks,  and you are correct.

just as i stated before most of these JP wins are aquired at the hands of low dollar output QP's.

and that's what i was preaching to the LP choir about........have fun with it,  play within your means, and for crying out loud QUIT acting so desperate by throwing a bunch of money at something that really involves the fate quotient,  with odds like that attached to it.

people lose their common sense  minds when it comes to this stuff.

it bears repeating at LP,  because it provides truth levity......when no one can crack a 3 number game with any consistentcy,  what possibly makes a person believe they can turn the odds in their favor on a JP with 176:1 odds by throwing $100 at it or "wheeling numbers"?

no one can...

how many of those same people are going to throw $100 at tonights $12million JP?

what, $12million isn't enough? 

desperation is proportionate to the amount of the JP

where is tiggs to chime in here with his mantra "it's all luck".....lol

Stack47

Since for that to happen a player would need at least 2 tickets, I would figure the odds this way

2 : 15,313      2 : 175,711,536 4 :  2,690,670,750,768  or     1  :  672,667,687,692  *

Those odds are for any two tickets before the results are known. Considering only two of the numbers where changed, it was highly likely that if he matched 6 numbers on one ticket, the other would have a four number match or 3 + 1.

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

I didn't know that the Mega Millions Jackpot increased after the winning tickets were sold in Idaho and Washington. This will be part of my current event this week.

C0w Pi3

If you're like most lottery players then you would be happy just to win back what you spent on tickets.

Very true, actually I'd said my roi is -500%+ lol

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Jan 7, 2011

Those odds are for any two tickets before the results are known. Considering only two of the numbers where changed, it was highly likely that if he matched 6 numbers on one ticket, the other would have a four number match or 3 + 1.

Isn't that how all lottery odds are calculated?  If I could pick my numbers after the drawing results were known then my odds of winning would always be 1/1.

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on Jan 7, 2011

I didn't know that the Mega Millions Jackpot increased after the winning tickets were sold in Idaho and Washington. This will be part of my current event this week.

No one, not even the lottery, knows they are winning tickets when they are sold. That's not known until the drawing.

Delta Draw

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 7, 2011

No one, not even the lottery, knows they are winning tickets when they are sold. That's not known until the drawing.

No such thing as luck. The guy knew he had winning tickets before he looked at them.

At the time of the drawing his preferred method of play was not QUICK PICK. He won, without luck because he picked the right numbers and stuck to them.

End of story.

HA!

DD

peteryak

old people always win the lottery because they are the people who play the most. most old people are playing lottery,word search puzzles,watching soap operas,eating fruits,and drinking juice. study your statistics man..... young people are out partying,smoking,having sex,and trying to win the girl of their dreams!! young people rarely gamble. i know you might find it hard to believe but when it comes to gambling/lottery. old people are the majority in that compared to young people. im not saying that young people dont gamble, but the majority of young people do something else rather than gamble.

"the people who need it the most cant win it"

90% of Americans need it most. im pretty sure people who really need the money do win it. not everybody in USA is rich man, everything just looks pretty in USA because this is a rich country. but majority of americans are just working class/low income.

this guy who won the megamillions. he really needed the money with all them kids/grand kids he has.

wether you want to come forward quick or wait to clim your prize, its your choice.

DC81's avatarDC81

This one has potential to give us stories for years to come....

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

birthday numbers---4-15-1942 hers

8-25-1947 his

Quote: Originally posted by Delta Draw on Jan 7, 2011

No such thing as luck. The guy knew he had winning tickets before he looked at them.

At the time of the drawing his preferred method of play was not QUICK PICK. He won, without luck because he picked the right numbers and stuck to them.

End of story.

HA!

DD

"The guy knew he had winning tickets before he looked at them"

sure he did.  just like all the rest of the people just here on LP that "knew" they had the winning ticket pre draw.  ROFL

he won purely because he had stuck with his birthday numbers?  sure he did.

logic and common sense tell me out of all the millions that played just that draw,  that there were hundreds of thousands of people that played their "birthday numbers" (and lost),  and probably more noted was the amount of people that exceeded that number .......who played their own hand picked numbers (and lost).

why this guy?    what makes him so special,  considering millions employ the same methodology (and lose) ???

so what you are implying..... is that as long as you stick with your birthday numbers, eventually you have to hit.

you can foster false hope (this should be a lesson for you people, just stick with your numbers and eventually you will")

me,  i like being the guy who fosters truth that leads to level headed brevity thinking...

the guy ran head on into fate.

me and you and everyone else that bought tickets ...........didn't

how can i afford to speak from a strong position.......millions of people that bought tickets produced 2 winners.

you would have to be terrible at math to not see that for what it is (pure fate),  or blinded by desperation

we look forward to a similar "excuse" ........should the other winner say he bought a quick pick...

peteryak

see its basically like this......

80% of powerball/megamillion winners are all quickpick tickets. now it does happen, but very very rare of someone winning the jackpot by choosing all the numbers. the clest i have came to choosing my numbers is matching 4 off the powerball. i hit 100$ but thats all.

sometimes lottery winners lie about there number choice/pick. alot of times if they played quickpicks and win, they will claim they picked their own numbers from card games or using there birthdays/wedding anniversarys/or car tags. either way whatever method they use. it is all just purely luck!

and i do agree, that people who spend less money win more. because the lottery is designed to take your money. it is more of a business than a game. if you buy 100$ of quickpicks. the machine will automatically give you bad numbers. because your buying a large amount so it will take your money. many people think the more you spend the more you will win. not true at all. so more money on tickets is just throwing money in the trash.

i spend about 20$ a week on lotto tickets. 

5$ tuesday night for mega, 5$for powerball wednesday,5$ for mega on friday,and 5$ on powerball for saturday. thats howi play

THRUST's avatarTHRUST

Quote: Originally posted by rock_nc on Jan 7, 2011

birthday numbers---4-15-1942 hers

8-25-1947 his

Good call! Thumbs Up

About the winners...hope they have a long and enjoyable experience with their sweet win! Yes Nod

Also if you want to win...you gotta buy a ticket...even if it is one ticket...I have bought just 1 or 2 tickets with Megaplier or Powerplay and won and also multiplied my smaller prizes. I always pay the extra dollar for the Megaplier or Powerplay because even if I don't hit the jackpot I could still walk away with $1,000,000 or multiply my smaller prizes.

Quote: Originally posted by Delta Draw on Jan 7, 2011

End of story.

HA!

DD

When he was interviewed he said, "The one inIdaho would have got a lot more if I didn't flub the last two numbers".

I would take that to mean he marked them wrong.

And by doing so wins half of $380,000,000.

And that's not luck?

corius$1918!

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 6, 2011

I also noticed something about the winning set of numbers (other than the connection to the LOST show which I hate) - but, I cannot tell you what that is...

I noticed he didn't elaborate much about his numbers other than to say they were just some birthdays.  This guy was retired and probably spent some time picking his numbers and if he had a special way of combining them then he's probably not sharing that.

The article stated Mr McC------ used a combination of the couple's birthdays.

Congratulations to the winner, wish it was me even if it was one million. 

Foreclosure would not be in my future.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by peteryak on Jan 8, 2011

see its basically like this......

80% of powerball/megamillion winners are all quickpick tickets. now it does happen, but very very rare of someone winning the jackpot by choosing all the numbers. the clest i have came to choosing my numbers is matching 4 off the powerball. i hit 100$ but thats all.

sometimes lottery winners lie about there number choice/pick. alot of times if they played quickpicks and win, they will claim they picked their own numbers from card games or using there birthdays/wedding anniversarys/or car tags. either way whatever method they use. it is all just purely luck!

and i do agree, that people who spend less money win more. because the lottery is designed to take your money. it is more of a business than a game. if you buy 100$ of quickpicks. the machine will automatically give you bad numbers. because your buying a large amount so it will take your money. many people think the more you spend the more you will win. not true at all. so more money on tickets is just throwing money in the trash.

i spend about 20$ a week on lotto tickets. 

5$ tuesday night for mega, 5$for powerball wednesday,5$ for mega on friday,and 5$ on powerball for saturday. thats howi play

wow! that is $1040 a year.You are better off putting that money on the S&P500. But it is your money, you can spend it whichever you like.GOOD LUCK ANYWAY, I WISH YOU WIN BIG.MAYBE THIS POST WILL HELP https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/225631

iGlenn

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jan 8, 2011

wow! that is $1040 a year.You are better off putting that money on the S&P500. But it is your money, you can spend it whichever you like.GOOD LUCK ANYWAY, I WISH YOU WIN BIG.MAYBE THIS POST WILL HELP https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/225631

I spend the same amount on tickets every year.  But winning the lottery is certainly not my retirement plan.  I figure since I'm debt free (no car payments, mortgage, or credit card balances), don't smoke, rarely drink, don't have Starbucks everyday, rarely buy designer clothes, and 30% of my income already goes into savings (IRA and brokerage) I can afford to spend $20/week on PB/MM tickets.

Lucky Charm$

That you can.  I consider it part of my entertainment budget.  Nothing wrong with putting whatever you can afford into dreams, especially if all your priorities are taken care of.

ducksafloat's avatarducksafloat

now that was a lottery story!Thumbs Up

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Unless a ticket can win 2 prizes  you can't have odds of 2 in 175,711,536 and also 2 in 15,313.

Among the many possibilities for tickets 1 and 2 are ticket 1 winning the jackpot and ticket 2 winning 4+0.  The odds of that is 1 in 175,711,536 * 1 in 15,313, which is the 1 in 2.7 trillion previously noted. Of course there's also the chance of ticket 1 winning 4+0 and ticket 2 winning the jackpot, which is also 1 in 2.7 trillion. The correct odds of one or the other happening is 2 in 2.7 trillion,  or 1 in 1.35 trillion. FWIW, that's  2 in 175.711,536 * 1 in 15,313

Of course that assumes that each ticket has random numbers and there ar eonly the two tickets. Since the tickets shared numbers, the chances of the second ticket winning 4+0 becomes a conditional event with (much lower) odds that depend on the outcome of the first event. Given the resulkts that made the one ticket a winner, the chance of the 2nd winning  4+0 becomes a certainty.

socalgal's avatarsocalgal

Congrats! But now the whole world knows what they look like. It will be hard to go out in public and not be recognized, especially in their town.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I guess I will just have to settle for Wednesday's Powerball!

Green laugh

It will not surprise me if Mr. McCullar claim the other half in Idaho since he won in the 125 mile area! I got my tickets for Wednesday Powerball wish me luck everyone!!! No Pity!

butterflykt's avatarbutterflykt

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jan 10, 2011

I guess I will just have to settle for Wednesday's Powerball!

Green laugh

I need to go pick up a ticket.  Hopefully we can split the Jackpot LOL

$24 million cash after taxes is going to be wonderful when i win this $67 million powerball wednesday!!!!!!!!!!Hippy

spaconbe2

Its better to earn ur money than playing this sh*t

Kitty1963

Since when is Post Falls, ID a suburb of Spokane, WA? There are at least 10 miles between the Spokane valley and Post Falls, with a bunch of smaller communities and the valley inbetween the two cities. They aren't even in the same state for cripe's sake! The AP is full of it as usual and everyone else is copying their mistake *sigh*.

I'm happy for the retired Soap Lake couple, they deserve this. I wonder why the Idaho woman never got a divorce, she has been separated from her abusive husband since 2003. It's her own fault if she has to share the winnings with the creep.

Kitty1963

LOL  Soap Lake is a very tiny town and so is Ephrata. I'm sure everybody knows them already. Now they will probably have neighbors come knocking wanting to borrow money or ask for donations. Time to buy a house elsewhere.

Kitty1963

The "never change your numbers" rule is very true. My grandpa played the same exact numbers religiously for years and years without ever winning anything more than enough to buy a few more tickets for the next week's lottery. One time he was very ill and asked my grandma to go buy the ticket for him, since he was bed-bound. She forgot the slip with the numbers at home and did a quick pick instead. 5 of his regular numbers came up but because grandma didn't play them, he only had one number on the ticket. He was extremely upset to put it nicely. I still remember seeing the ashtray flying through the window LOL.

spaconbe2

the people that really need to win the lottery can't win it. fuk

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Congrats to the winners.-weshar75

Banana

spaconbe2

Easy comes easy go. This man talking about legacy. Legacy my ass. You ain't <snip>. Your ass get lucky that's all. You don't earn that money

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story