Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you had 10 bucks to bet...

Topic closed. 132 replies. Last post 6 years ago by JADELottery.

Page 6 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

What do you think is the better bet?

1 Play / 10 Draws [ 58 ]  [64.44%]
10 Plays / 1 Draw [ 32 ]  [35.56%]
Total Valid Votes [ 90 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: April 10, 2011, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

joker,

You have to consider the depth of ones' pockets or beyond that how much they're willing to throw at something that most likley loses.

JADELottery

Fish might not be a good choice.

Indeed. Especially when the lottery may be looking at the players as the fish!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

joplin
    United States
    Member #45299
    August 17, 2006
    151 Posts
    Posted: April 10, 2011, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I guess there's something I am not understanding about this  question.  One play 10 draws imply using the same number.  Ten plays one draw imply using different 

numbers.  Am I correct?

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
      The Quantum Master
      West Concord, MN
      United States
      Member #21
      December 7, 2001
      3675 Posts
      Posted: April 10, 2011, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

I guess there's something I am not understanding about this  question.  One play 10 draws imply using the same number.  Ten plays one draw imply using different 

numbers.  Am I correct?

That would be an interpretation of it, but in general it's just 1 Play / 10 Draws and 10 Plays / 1 Draw; where Play(s) are something the Lottery Customer would choose and Draw(s) are something the State Lottery would choose.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
      Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
      Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
      Knowledge is Beyond Belief
      Wisdom is Not Censored
      Douglas Paul Smallish
      Jehocifer

The Quantum Master
        West Concord, MN
        United States
        Member #21
        December 7, 2001
        3675 Posts
        Posted: April 10, 2011, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

That would be an interpretation of it, but in general it's just 1 Play / 10 Draws and 10 Plays / 1 Draw; where Play(s) are something the Lottery Customer would choose and Draw(s) are something the State Lottery would choose.

Don't know if this is available in your state, but we can select to play more than one draw using the same ticket, see below.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
        Douglas Paul Smallish
        Jehocifer

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2011, 12:44 am - IP Logged

I think I get it now. 

Buy one ticket with 10 combinations for 1 draw, you get 10 trys (↓) to match 1 winner (↑)

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

↑

Buy one 1 combinations for 10 draws, 10 winners (↑) try to match your 1 combination (↓).

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Both strategies are the same but from opposite directions

What's the maximum number of times you can win the jackpot with the first method? What's the maximum number of times you can win the jackpot with the second method?

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2011, 12:56 am - IP Logged

numbers.  Am I correct?

I don't believe that was clarified, but my supposition was that each of the 10 separate draws scenario, should contain  different combos, since the 10 combos for one draw had to have 10 different combos also. So why would they differ in characteristics? 

Altering what the single combo bets contain....(10  separate times), compared to having a lump sum of the same combos in one draw bet scenario, could possibly contaminate and/or change the dynamic thus causing erroneous readings to possibly occur.

So which is it?

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7314 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2011, 11:23 am - IP Logged

I don't believe that was clarified, but my supposition was that each of the 10 separate draws scenario, should contain  different combos, since the 10 combos for one draw had to have 10 different combos also. So why would they differ in characteristics? 

Altering what the single combo bets contain....(10  separate times), compared to having a lump sum of the same combos in one draw bet scenario, could possibly contaminate and/or change the dynamic thus causing erroneous readings to possibly occur.

So which is it?

If you're playing pick-3 and bet one number 10 times straight, you can win $5000 but the most you can win betting $1 a game is $500. If the object is to win $5000, betting the same number 10 times is the better bet.

I believe the question is for average play on a lotto, MM, or PB game and the only difference I see is what Floyd pointed out, you only can win one jackpot playing the $10 one time.

Don't the playing objectives dictate which is the better bet?

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #22395
                September 24, 2005
                1583 Posts
                Posted: April 11, 2011, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

If you're playing pick-3 and bet one number 10 times straight, you can win $5000 but the most you can win betting $1 a game is $500. If the object is to win $5000, betting the same number 10 times is the better bet.

I believe the question is for average play on a lotto, MM, or PB game and the only difference I see is what Floyd pointed out, you only can win one jackpot playing the $10 one time.

It would depend on your definition of "better bet" in the original question.  If a better bet is the same as "more likely to win" then I think KYFloyd is correct in his original post.  If a better bet is the same as "most possible money to be won" then 1 ticket for 10 separate games is correct.

I think those statements can apply to either Pick3 or jackpots.

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: April 11, 2011, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I understand your point, but I was thinking from the beginning of this thread that even in the p-3 I would be playing 10 different combos all at once, not the same combo 10 times at once.

The Quantum Master
                    West Concord, MN
                    United States
                    Member #21
                    December 7, 2001
                    3675 Posts
                    Posted: April 11, 2011, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

What's the maximum number of times you can win the jackpot with the first method? What's the maximum number of times you can win the jackpot with the second method?

We'd like to clarify a few things about the plays.

This about the typical average Joe or Jane lottery picks.

Something you'd find if you went in to a store and asked a clerk for 10 buck quick pick on single ticket.

It would be very improbable to see every play the same combination ten times over and if you did, that would really raise some alarms about the machine's picking algorithm.

Improbable meaning it does not happen to everyone, all the time; common experience shows that when you buy tickets it just does not happen regularly.

If you decide to play the same combination ten times over in one draw, that will automatically create an imbalance in the probability of winning in favor of the 1 Play / 10 Draws.

Also, this refers to just 10 bucks played only once, not playing 10 bucks again and again as compared to playing 1 combo for 10 draws.

Hence the phrase, "If you had 10 bucks..." not "If you had 10 bucks each draw..."

In addition, time is not a factor.

The time between draws is no different than the time between selecting your play combos.

It does not matter if it's days, minutes, or milliseconds between the selections.

Finally, prize amounts are not factors; play combinations that match the drawing combinations are.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                    Douglas Paul Smallish
                    Jehocifer

The Quantum Master
                      West Concord, MN
                      United States
                      Member #21
                      December 7, 2001
                      3675 Posts
                      Posted: April 11, 2011, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Well, looks like we're going to have to make a program that tests these 2 different Strategies.

We will use RJOh's 5/39 Lottery example to start and work in a Pick 3 or Pick 4 as an example, too.

The goal is to show the difference (if any) there is between the 1 Play / 10 Draws Strategy and the 10 Plays / 1 Draw Strategy.

To make it a Statisically sound test, we'll run 15,000,000 trials of each Strategy and do it multiple times; maybe 10 or so.

We may even post a link so you can run it yourself and we will post the source code so you can examine it youself.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                      Douglas Paul Smallish
                      Jehocifer

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7314 Posts
                        Posted: April 12, 2011, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Well, looks like we're going to have to make a program that tests these 2 different Strategies.

We will use RJOh's 5/39 Lottery example to start and work in a Pick 3 or Pick 4 as an example, too.

The goal is to show the difference (if any) there is between the 1 Play / 10 Draws Strategy and the 10 Plays / 1 Draw Strategy.

To make it a Statisically sound test, we'll run 15,000,000 trials of each Strategy and do it multiple times; maybe 10 or so.

We may even post a link so you can run it yourself and we will post the source code so you can examine it youself.

Sounds like the Bluejay Challenge where you must make $1 million worth of bets on a $5000 bank roll to prove a the system shows a profit.

But back to the original questions; is it better to have 10 chances to win one jackpot or 1 chance to win 10 jackpots?

The Quantum Master
                          West Concord, MN
                          United States
                          Member #21
                          December 7, 2001
                          3675 Posts
                          Posted: April 12, 2011, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like the Bluejay Challenge where you must make $1 million worth of bets on a $5000 bank roll to prove a the system shows a profit.

But back to the original questions; is it better to have 10 chances to win one jackpot or 1 chance to win 10 jackpots?

Great question, start a Poll topic and ask everyone.

Sorry, our topic does not deal with that since we are just working with the probability of winning, not how much you've won.

Good question though, good...

Thumbs Up

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                          Douglas Paul Smallish
                          Jehocifer

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #74096
                            May 2, 2009
                            22944 Posts
                            Posted: April 12, 2011, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Unless you've won a jackpot prize using either of these methods..you will never know which one was the

better play 1/10 or 10/1...even if you won, you would only be able to say playing 1 set for 10 days or 10

sets for one day was good only for the day you won. Do it again and I might be impressed, do it yearly

and hey you might have a believer.

But just toss it around without being able to get to the point and I wonder what you are after.

JADELottery are you reeling people into something...do you need attention...do you need help or do you

need answers to your poll to show yourself (yourselves?) that what you are thinking is proper thinking?

ie, read: Validation, confirmation, ???.

Your posts are posts of a person holding an answer. You seem to know the answer yet string people

along letting them guess at some great mystery.

What I know is this...5 plays at 7 days is good enough...1 play for 26 draws is boring....and unless you

have a few jp wins to back up this string along post, then please get to the point without all the mystery

and delay.

Someone compared jackpot games to pick 3 games....different can of worms, sts.

Why don't you throw your opinion of what the better play is out there?

Why not play more numbers sets for one draw than play one number set for 10 draws? Or why

even separate the two of them?

The chances that your winning number set is in 10 lines with one drawing are as good as your one

line of numbers being the winner in 10 drawings.

The Quantum Master
                              West Concord, MN
                              United States
                              Member #21
                              December 7, 2001
                              3675 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2011, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Unless you've won a jackpot prize using either of these methods..you will never know which one was the

better play 1/10 or 10/1...even if you won, you would only be able to say playing 1 set for 10 days or 10

sets for one day was good only for the day you won. Do it again and I might be impressed, do it yearly

and hey you might have a believer.

But just toss it around without being able to get to the point and I wonder what you are after.

JADELottery are you reeling people into something...do you need attention...do you need help or do you

need answers to your poll to show yourself (yourselves?) that what you are thinking is proper thinking?

ie, read: Validation, confirmation, ???.

Your posts are posts of a person holding an answer. You seem to know the answer yet string people

along letting them guess at some great mystery.

What I know is this...5 plays at 7 days is good enough...1 play for 26 draws is boring....and unless you

have a few jp wins to back up this string along post, then please get to the point without all the mystery

and delay.

Someone compared jackpot games to pick 3 games....different can of worms, sts.

Why don't you throw your opinion of what the better play is out there?

Why not play more numbers sets for one draw than play one number set for 10 draws? Or why

even separate the two of them?

The chances that your winning number set is in 10 lines with one drawing are as good as your one

line of numbers being the winner in 10 drawings.

We will do the program first and come back to your reply later.

It's an easier test and less costly.

Keep talking amongst yourselves... we'll be back in a bit.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                              Douglas Paul Smallish
                              Jehocifer