Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Judgmental Store Clerks >:(

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 6 years ago by coolbick.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #110736
May 11, 2011
34 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2011, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone else deal with store clerks who look at you like a criminal when you play the lottery at their store? There's a place I go often both to buy scratch offs and play my numbers. It's conveniently near my work and in a super busy part of town so I should be invisible, but every time the clerks there seem to remember me and they all look at me funny! Maybe it's because of my age (most people buying lotto tickets in there are 35+), but still it's starting to get uncomfortable.

I'm just going to find a different place near work, but I feel like I shouldn't have to... Unhappy

Los Angeles, CA
    United States
    Member #97910
    September 26, 2010
    278 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2011, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Luckily in California, most grocery stores have lotto ticket/scratcher vending machines, so I don't have to deal with any judgemental clerks.

United States
      Member #110736
      May 11, 2011
      34 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2011, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Luckily in California, most grocery stores have lotto ticket/scratcher vending machines, so I don't have to deal with any judgemental clerks.

They do have the machines where I am and I use them, but they're right by the registers so I still get the dirty looks. I try not to let it bother me but I feel like they think I'm a gambling addict or something (does spending $30-40 every couple of weeks when you have spare cash floating around make you an addict??).

Las Vegas, NV
        United States
        Member #44841
        August 9, 2006
        1749 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2011, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

They do have the machines where I am and I use them, but they're right by the registers so I still get the dirty looks. I try not to let it bother me but I feel like they think I'm a gambling addict or something (does spending $30-40 every couple of weeks when you have spare cash floating around make you an addict??).

Even though that particular store is convenient go play somewhere else.  It doesn't matter what those store clerks think, once you can feel that kind of negative energy it won't do you any good to play there.  Besides they probably wish they could buy however many numbers/tickets/games you're buying.  I used to live in NY and know that its not hard to find another store, especially in the city and outer boroughs, so hopefully there's another one nearby.  Good luck.

P.S.  Most people I know, myself included play that amount a day ... so if anyone needs to be calling that hotline ...

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2011, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

You are far from an addict my friend ... try spending $100 per day lol

Some clerks just got nothing better to do then make sly comments i suggest you go to another store from now on.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

Republic of Texas
            United States
            Member #57557
            January 9, 2008
            1095 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2011, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Don't back down... look them dead in the eye until they turn away. If they take too long to turn away, raise them an eyebrow as if to say "yes? you want to say something?" Don't let them judge you and run you off. If you want to play at that store, by all means, play at that store.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2659 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2011, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

Don't back down... look them dead in the eye until they turn away. If they take too long to turn away, raise them an eyebrow as if to say "yes? you want to say something?" Don't let them judge you and run you off. If you want to play at that store, by all means, play at that store.

+1 ........ and if thars not enough .... stock up on a few of those widdle noise makers

United States
                Member #110736
                May 11, 2011
                34 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2011, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Even though that particular store is convenient go play somewhere else.  It doesn't matter what those store clerks think, once you can feel that kind of negative energy it won't do you any good to play there.  Besides they probably wish they could buy however many numbers/tickets/games you're buying.  I used to live in NY and know that its not hard to find another store, especially in the city and outer boroughs, so hopefully there's another one nearby.  Good luck.

P.S.  Most people I know, myself included play that amount a day ... so if anyone needs to be calling that hotline ...

Thank you! :) I will go somewhere else.

I don't spend that much per day...maybe $40 or so in one day every other week. I'm a freelancer so my paycheck isn't steady. I only play when I have the cash to spare. So I'm not even in there that much and they still glare! lol

United States
                  Member #110736
                  May 11, 2011
                  34 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2011, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I wish I could. I'm so bad at confrontation, even the littlest bit of it. Embarassed

But maybe I'll try next time.

United States
                    Member #110736
                    May 11, 2011
                    34 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2011, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

By the way I wanted to add that I really hope I didn't sound judgmental myself, about how much money is spent on the lottery...I give myself such low limits simply because that's all I can afford. No negative feelings toward anyone who has more to play with! Smiley

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10355 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2011, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

The town where we live has a no booze policy for the grocery stores so the liquor stores have a monopoly.

There's one liquor store that we go to that sells tickets but makes it obvious they want no part of it. They keep the playslips hidden behind liquor advertisements and brochures.

We rarely play lotto there.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22978 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2011, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I wish I could. I'm so bad at confrontation, even the littlest bit of it. Embarassed

But maybe I'll try next time.

Well that sure is something else alright. Do you look old enough to play? Maybe they think you're stealing

money from your parents. That sounds stupid but I'm serious. Ask them if they'd like to see you buying

beer or cigarettes instead? That seems to be okay with a lot of people no matter what age a person is.

How dare they scare off the customers with dirty looks. I agree, go somewhere else where they appreciate

your business. Good luck to you!

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #104435
                          January 14, 2011
                          2244 Posts
                          Posted: May 27, 2011, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

Well that sure is something else alright. Do you look old enough to play? Maybe they think you're stealing

money from your parents. That sounds stupid but I'm serious. Ask them if they'd like to see you buying

beer or cigarettes instead? That seems to be okay with a lot of people no matter what age a person is.

How dare they scare off the customers with dirty looks. I agree, go somewhere else where they appreciate

your business. Good luck to you!

Hey dr65 i think ticket hawks are worse than snide clerks. you can avoid a store but seems like you cant avoid a ticket hawk ...

2014 Highest Winner: $500

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #94283
                            July 17, 2010
                            2284 Posts
                            Posted: May 27, 2011, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Hey dr65 i think ticket hawks are worse than snide clerks. you can avoid a store but seems like you cant avoid a ticket hawk ...

What's a ticket hawk?  What?

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                              Member #32537
                              February 12, 2006
                              698 Posts
                              Posted: May 27, 2011, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

i don't know about other grocery stores

but i know for a fact kroger gives their mm/pb small winnings for selling the big jackpot winner to local charity's

if the beeps want to give you looks, play at a grocery store you know for a fact will give away the winnings,f that store owner getting money off your luck if the workers give you looks

als when you get a dirty look, look them in the eye and say its to support the lottery funding x whatever your state works too , got a problem with charity? and then give them the dirty look best you can back at them!, try to do it  without laughingLOL