Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Judgmental Store Clerks >:(

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 5 years ago by coolbick.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
Winning makes me smile.
bel air maryland
United States
Member #90251
April 24, 2010
4855 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2011, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't know, but is it possible some franchise owners are not given a choice about whether or not they can have lottery machines? Maybe some think gambling is bad and don't want anything to do with it and do what they can to discourage people with dirty looks etc? Maybe some just don't want to be bothered with it. I have to wonder though, if they sold a winning ticket and stood to get a large commission for it, would they refuse it? What about the future business they may get because people thought they were a lucky store? It could be quite profitable for them.

Fortunately, I have several stores within a short distance of where I live so I can go to each one whenever I want. I don't buy just lottery tickets at each so they are making money from me. Bottom line though is, what you or I do with our money is our business, so don't let them intimidate you and if they do and you go elsewhere, its their loss in the long run.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2011, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

I've gotten weird looks from a few but it's only because I look really young. After the first time they've ID'd me and seen I'm more than old enough to buy tickets I've never been looked at oddly again.

I also have the same 6-8 clerks sell to me every time (at 2-3 different stores) now so if anything I get friendly looks when I come in.

And I did have a new clerk look at me weirdly today but didn't ask for ID, I think it was because I had just got done running so I was winded and sweaty so I think that just threw him off.

If I were you I'd consider going to a different store. Think about if you won a major jackpot, do you want that store with the rude employees to get their big payout or one that actually wants your business and treats you well?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #74096
      May 2, 2009
      22861 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2011, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Hey dr65 i think ticket hawks are worse than snide clerks. you can avoid a store but seems like you cant avoid a ticket hawk ...

lmao James! That is so true. Something just hit me....maybe the clerks are the hawks. Scared

That might explain, OP, why you're getting the looks..you're buying up their winners.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2011, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

I wish I could. I'm so bad at confrontation, even the littlest bit of it. Embarassed

But maybe I'll try next time.

"I'm so bad at confrontation"

Coolbick, you're the girl of my dreams. LoverLoviesLove

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2011, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

lmao James! That is so true. Something just hit me....maybe the clerks are the hawks. Scared

That might explain, OP, why you're getting the looks..you're buying up their winners.

haha reminds me of a clerk who said "if your 4th ticket is a loser im buying the 5th" . how audacious is that ?? I never went back to that store.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

trap574's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
            Adk NY
            United States
            Member #108847
            April 1, 2011
            1619 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2011, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

Judgemental clerks dont bother me,its the ones who ask what your number is 5or6times,or say the machines down cause they dont know how to run it,or the ones that think they know,but give you the wrong #s or the wrong type bet.Have run into honest clerks who send you to another register with a clerk who does,or one who make an attempt to learn,as it is part of thier job,usualy you get to know your locale clerks that are good and it also helps if you tip them if you hit,this keeps you in good with them and gives the other clerks incentive to learn the machines. This mostly goes for the p3+p4 games. Also its easy to fill out the play cards for the just cant get it,I shouldnt have to types that are out there,dont let them intimidate you or it could cost you a win.Just my two cents  TRAP

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              22861 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2011, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

What's a ticket hawk?  What?

No way! Eek

Thank your lucky stars you do not know...

They are people but it is a long story...The key factors for being classified a hawk is you have to be part

stalker, part bs'er, part thief and part quick change artist....go from watching an instant players selections

and progress to watching the shelves in the store in 1/8th second flat when the player turns around be-

cause s/he feels they are being watched.

They are the ones who swoop in and grab up the next ticket after an instant player bought 10 $2 tickets

or 4 $5 tickets or 4 or more $10 and up and won nothing hoping to have to only buy one and walk away

with a wad, courtesy of the player who is chipping away at the losers.

Some of them are magicians...they appear from nowhere, do a hit and run and when you return to the

machine intending to buy the next ticket you knew you left there - say 032 - it's missing and no one is

in sight.

Some are thugs with no shame, they stand there, watch every ticket you buy, look over your shoulder,

ask you if you won, ask you WHICH one you won on and how MUCH...all while smiling with a smile that

doesn't quite look natural or right. Those are the worst types. Those are the ones who need extreme

measures..if you're weak in the knees or can't stand up for yourself, you're no match for them. The

biggest mistake is not putting them in their place before they open their mouths. With them, you gotta

take ownership of the machine and the 6 foot area around you by saying: do you mind or: what do you

want or just plain old: do you mind not watching my every move or best yet: go away, I'm not done yet.

They are the ones who ask you how you're doing or if you won anything...they really don't care about

YOU, they care about them and what info you might give out that will lead them down the road to riches.

A word to the wise: Either avoid the instants or outsmart the hawks Naughty that's almost as fun as the tickets.

Good luck!

United States
                Member #110736
                May 11, 2011
                34 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2011, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

"I'm so bad at confrontation"

Coolbick, you're the girl of my dreams. LoverLoviesLove

Hehehehe Hippy

As long as you're bad at it too, we're good Cheers

United States
                  Member #110736
                  May 11, 2011
                  34 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2011, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

I've gotten weird looks from a few but it's only because I look really young. After the first time they've ID'd me and seen I'm more than old enough to buy tickets I've never been looked at oddly again.

I also have the same 6-8 clerks sell to me every time (at 2-3 different stores) now so if anything I get friendly looks when I come in.

And I did have a new clerk look at me weirdly today but didn't ask for ID, I think it was because I had just got done running so I was winded and sweaty so I think that just threw him off.

If I were you I'd consider going to a different store. Think about if you won a major jackpot, do you want that store with the rude employees to get their big payout or one that actually wants your business and treats you well?

"If I were you I'd consider going to a different store. Think about if you won a major jackpot, do you want that store with the rude employees to get their big payout or one that actually wants your business and treats you well?"

GOOD POINT!!!! I'm sold. Off to find another store with nicer employees. Who knows, maybe if they're really nice I might even purchase an actual item from their store!!

United States
                    Member #110736
                    May 11, 2011
                    34 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2011, 12:03 am - IP Logged

dr65, I've seen those people lurking by the machines and even looking over people's shoulders. I usually wait until I get home to keep myself from immediately spending any winnings on more tickets so I've never fallen victim to them. It's so obnoxious!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2011, 12:12 am - IP Logged

Hehehehe Hippy

As long as you're bad at it too, we're good Cheers

I'm a pussycat.   Big Grin

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                        Florida
                        United States
                        Member #104435
                        January 14, 2011
                        2244 Posts
                        Posted: May 28, 2011, 1:47 am - IP Logged

No way! Eek

Thank your lucky stars you do not know...

They are people but it is a long story...The key factors for being classified a hawk is you have to be part

stalker, part bs'er, part thief and part quick change artist....go from watching an instant players selections

and progress to watching the shelves in the store in 1/8th second flat when the player turns around be-

cause s/he feels they are being watched.

They are the ones who swoop in and grab up the next ticket after an instant player bought 10 $2 tickets

or 4 $5 tickets or 4 or more $10 and up and won nothing hoping to have to only buy one and walk away

with a wad, courtesy of the player who is chipping away at the losers.

Some of them are magicians...they appear from nowhere, do a hit and run and when you return to the

machine intending to buy the next ticket you knew you left there - say 032 - it's missing and no one is

in sight.

Some are thugs with no shame, they stand there, watch every ticket you buy, look over your shoulder,

ask you if you won, ask you WHICH one you won on and how MUCH...all while smiling with a smile that

doesn't quite look natural or right. Those are the worst types. Those are the ones who need extreme

measures..if you're weak in the knees or can't stand up for yourself, you're no match for them. The

biggest mistake is not putting them in their place before they open their mouths. With them, you gotta

take ownership of the machine and the 6 foot area around you by saying: do you mind or: what do you

want or just plain old: do you mind not watching my every move or best yet: go away, I'm not done yet.

They are the ones who ask you how you're doing or if you won anything...they really don't care about

YOU, they care about them and what info you might give out that will lead them down the road to riches.

A word to the wise: Either avoid the instants or outsmart the hawks Naughty that's almost as fun as the tickets.

Good luck!

haha great post !

Its unfortunate but their 'system' does work, as I have fallen victem couple times before where the hawk grabbed a $50 or $100 winner.

A good thing to do is check the waste basket. if you see a bunch of simultaneous tickets where only the code has been scratched then you know a hawk has been there and cleared out all the winners. time to switch stores then !

2014 Highest Winner: $500

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2011, 1:56 am - IP Logged

i was in a small town for a short while.  they only had 1 lotto retailer, and they made it sound like such a chore selling lotto tickets.

they even had a sign saying " please dont scratch tickets instore " because they didnt like vacuming up the   rubber.

well after a few visits, i decided i would take my business to the next major town, 100 km away, when we did thew weekly shopping.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                            Member #94616
                            July 24, 2010
                            4735 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2011, 4:39 am - IP Logged

This is AMERICA!! US Flag

You have the right to do what you want and if the stupid clerk doesn't like it - definitely find another store. 

I would BUY from the other stores and then take ANY winners in to this Jerk of a Clerk to cash them in - THEN tell him that you don't buy any from HISstore as you NEVER win from his store -then I would say things when cashing in like - "man this is the 5th hit this week!"  I would just make things up to make this clerk mad that I am winning.  "This is better than a part time job!" ect...

CrazyHazyYay!'s avatar - atlanta sports-teams-300x208.gif
                              Born in the USA
                              United States
                              Member #108003
                              March 19, 2011
                              46 Posts
                              Posted: May 28, 2011, 5:40 am - IP Logged

Owners of these marts rely on the lottery to increase traffic so the customers spend money on other wares with better profit margins. I believe (not 100%) that the store earns 5 cents for every dollar spent on the lotto, at least for MM and PB. Maybe the owners are giving you dirty looks because you don't purchase other things from the store, like food and tobacco. I've noticed the clerks at my deli/lotto retailer seem more enthusiastic about my lotto purchases after I allow them to rip me off with overpriced sub sandwiches. They only say good luck when I buy food, otherwise they don't even look at me. Seriously, whenever I suspect any stink-eyes directed towards me, I make sure to return fire with the wide-eyed-wtf-u-lookin-at glare right back at 'em. Try it, it's very fun watching the awkward expressions develop on their judgmental mugs. Make sure to restrain all smiles 'til they're outta sight, so that they feel even worse when they try to laugh it off like it's some kinda mutual joke. And don't say anything either, the look and silence should be more than enough to spook 'em.

While the value of a dollar is substantial, hope is priceless. But if you ain't got a dollar, then it's hopeless.