Welcome Guest
You last visited July 22, 2017, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Judgmental Store Clerks >:(

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 6 years ago by coolbick.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Raven62's avatar - binary
New Jersey
United States
Member #17843
June 28, 2005
63441 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2011, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Does anyone else deal with store clerks who look at you like a criminal when you play the lottery at their store? There's a place I go often both to buy scratch offs and play my numbers. It's conveniently near my work and in a super busy part of town so I should be invisible, but every time the clerks there seem to remember me and they all look at me funny! Maybe it's because of my age (most people buying lotto tickets in there are 35+), but still it's starting to get uncomfortable.

I'm just going to find a different place near work, but I feel like I shouldn't have to... Unhappy

The world is full of people with severe forms of mental deficiency: Ignore Them!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

frontenac, kansas
    United States
    Member #67724
    December 3, 2008
    206 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2011, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Does anyone else deal with store clerks who look at you like a criminal when you play the lottery at their store? There's a place I go often both to buy scratch offs and play my numbers. It's conveniently near my work and in a super busy part of town so I should be invisible, but every time the clerks there seem to remember me and they all look at me funny! Maybe it's because of my age (most people buying lotto tickets in there are 35+), but still it's starting to get uncomfortable.

I'm just going to find a different place near work, but I feel like I shouldn't have to... Unhappy

Yes I have had it happen to me also many times....plus sometimes comments are made by the clerk....wow you back again,...you sure buy a lot of these............do you actually win anything.............it does bother me, most generally there are people behind me in line and they hear it

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2011, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Owners of these marts rely on the lottery to increase traffic so the customers spend money on other wares with better profit margins. I believe (not 100%) that the store earns 5 cents for every dollar spent on the lotto, at least for MM and PB. Maybe the owners are giving you dirty looks because you don't purchase other things from the store, like food and tobacco. I've noticed the clerks at my deli/lotto retailer seem more enthusiastic about my lotto purchases after I allow them to rip me off with overpriced sub sandwiches. They only say good luck when I buy food, otherwise they don't even look at me. Seriously, whenever I suspect any stink-eyes directed towards me, I make sure to return fire with the wide-eyed-wtf-u-lookin-at glare right back at 'em. Try it, it's very fun watching the awkward expressions develop on their judgmental mugs. Make sure to restrain all smiles 'til they're outta sight, so that they feel even worse when they try to laugh it off like it's some kinda mutual joke. And don't say anything either, the look and silence should be more than enough to spook 'em.

"Seriously, whenever I suspect any stink-eyes directed towards me, I make sure to return fire with the wide-eyed-wtf-u-lookin-at glare right back at 'em."

LOL Thanks for the laugh this mornin', Crazy. I needed it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

loonasee2's avatar - dancingpickle
        Blue Sky Fly
        United States
        Member #95128
        August 4, 2010
        14470 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2011, 9:56 am - IP Logged

I've noticed most clerks are numb skulls operating a lottery machine,(but to them its like riding a bike for the first time or driving a car for the first time,.........all those buttons.lol).Then again there's some clerks that are awesome and no need to walk them threw the operation of a lotto machine.

The best thing I suggest ,.......when you win slide the clerk sum cash.The clerks will be tripping over each other to help you out in a friendly manner.Pass it forward

Bash

United States
          Member #105312
          January 29, 2011
          435 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2011, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Try taking off your ski-mask before you get to the counter.

It might not be what you're buying that has them looking at you that way.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            63441 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2011, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Try taking off your ski-mask before you get to the counter.

It might not be what you're buying that has them looking at you that way.

What? about the Gun: Keep It Out or Put It Away? LOL

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6325 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2011, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I'm a pussycat.   Big Grin

Ridge you always make my day......ROFLROFLROFL

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6325 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2011, 11:24 am - IP Logged

The world is full of people with severe forms of mental deficiency: Ignore Them!

I Agree!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  923 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2011, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Dude, I really don't care what anyone thinks about me playing the lottery...because when the day comes that I win, I will surely remember those who got on me about "wasting my money....gambling and sinning".  So I won my money through gambling and you consider it a sin....guess that means that you will not want to accept any offering money from me Mr. Preacherman!  And oh honey (yes my significant other), you echo the preacher's sentiments...guess that means you're going to have to keep on working so you can buy the things you desire because this is "dirty" money I have in my wallet and "bank" account.  And if I had bought the winning ticket from such a joint, I would roll up there in my stretch limo, waltz into the joint with my big ceremonial check and LAUGH!!!!  Then I would take out my cell phone and make a call to one of my good friends and talk at a level anyone in the nearby vicinity of the clerk could hear, "Hey, are you all packed to go to fly first class to XYZ tropical destination?  I'll be swinging by in the limo in a few minutes...click.  The clerk will feel real small earning whatever minimum wage he/she is earning per hour.  Actually, I wouldn't even waste my time doing that...I truly don't care what other people think and I certainly would not go out of my way to rub it in people's faces....I am, after all, a considerate person.  I just don't take any BS, regardless of who spouting it.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
                    Member #105312
                    January 29, 2011
                    435 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2011, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

What? about the Gun: Keep It Out or Put It Away? LOL

Depends on the neighborhood.

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                      Member #65961
                      October 11, 2008
                      172 Posts
                      Posted: May 29, 2011, 6:17 am - IP Logged

I buy my tickets at the place I want to see get blessed....

I used to go to a 7/11 store and buy my $1 tickets for the state/multi-state games until one day, the clerk got an attitude with me.....he wanted to know why I only play $1....why don't I buy more!

I totally ignored him and never went back......

Since I know that retailers get a cut for selling the winning jackpot ticket....I want it to go to a place that I like and the customer service is satisfactory.

If you don't feel like they appreciate your business....take your business elsewhere.

Litebets27's avatar - power
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #10465
                        January 14, 2005
                        6065 Posts
                        Posted: May 29, 2011, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

First of all...how old are you? I asked because recently... several young men with backpacks on, came into the store where I frequently buy lottery and play keno, and preceded to bet on the lottery Ractrax. One of the younger looking kids won $600.00 and cashed it in. The clerks there at the time didn't bother to ask their ages. It wasn't until one of the male store owners was in the store when they returned and tried to play, he asked them their ages. They got angery and left when he told them,"if your not 18 yrs old, you can't play here." They haven't been back since.

Other than that.... if your old enough and there is a machine in the store designated to spit out lottery tickets when you purchase them, it doesn't matter if you came in just to buy lottery tickets or a whole bag of groceries. The machine is there for that purpose. The clerks have to get over themselves and stop being judgmental, because that is all it is. They are no better than you, and you can spend your money any way you want to.

If it bothers them that much, then they can ask THE OWNERS, to remove the machines so they won't have to be bothered. I bet you your last dollar, that the owners will opt getting someone in the place who doesn't mind working on lottery machines rather then lose the little bit of profit he or she may be making from the State.

DON'T BACK DOWN and Good luck!!!

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

United States
                          Member #110736
                          May 11, 2011
                          34 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2011, 9:36 am - IP Logged

First of all...how old are you? I asked because recently... several young men with backpacks on, came into the store where I frequently buy lottery and play keno, and preceded to bet on the lottery Ractrax. One of the younger looking kids won $600.00 and cashed it in. The clerks there at the time didn't bother to ask their ages. It wasn't until one of the male store owners was in the store when they returned and tried to play, he asked them their ages. They got angery and left when he told them,"if your not 18 yrs old, you can't play here." They haven't been back since.

Other than that.... if your old enough and there is a machine in the store designated to spit out lottery tickets when you purchase them, it doesn't matter if you came in just to buy lottery tickets or a whole bag of groceries. The machine is there for that purpose. The clerks have to get over themselves and stop being judgmental, because that is all it is. They are no better than you, and you can spend your money any way you want to.

If it bothers them that much, then they can ask THE OWNERS, to remove the machines so they won't have to be bothered. I bet you your last dollar, that the owners will opt getting someone in the place who doesn't mind working on lottery machines rather then lose the little bit of profit he or she may be making from the State.

DON'T BACK DOWN and Good luck!!!

I'm 24. It's funny...I rarely get carded for alcohol, but the last 10 or so times I've bought lottery tickets, I've been asked for ID. Maybe I should take it as a compliment? Haha

But yeah...as much as I'd like to stand my ground and continue buying my tickets wherever I want, at the same time I don't want that store to see a DIME if I'm lucky enough to win!

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                            McKinney/Texas
                            United States
                            Member #47363
                            November 1, 2006
                            706 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2011, 9:58 am - IP Logged

Buy them somewhere else.

Or, each time you buy them(I actually do this when I get the look,

and I am very old, and I do get the look) proudly announce in a loud and friendly way,

"YEAH, I HAVE FUN PLAYING THE LOTTERY, AND I SOMETIMES WIN MONEY. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME

ANYBODY EVER WON MONEY BUYING BEER OR CIGARETTES?" I always smile real big.

Ephesians 3:20

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #64582
                              September 1, 2008
                              348 Posts
                              Posted: May 30, 2011, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Even though that particular store is convenient go play somewhere else.  It doesn't matter what those store clerks think, once you can feel that kind of negative energy it won't do you any good to play there.  Besides they probably wish they could buy however many numbers/tickets/games you're buying.  I used to live in NY and know that its not hard to find another store, especially in the city and outer boroughs, so hopefully there's another one nearby.  Good luck.

P.S.  Most people I know, myself included play that amount a day ... so if anyone needs to be calling that hotline ...

I agree about the negative energy. Get out and find a place that makes you happy. Heck - you should be happy when buying lottery tickets .... happy and lucky!

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss