Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Found Some Lottery Tickets - Now What?

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CashWinner$.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

Let's say you found five unscratched $5 scratchers in front of a store. What would you do with them?

Give them to the store owner or clerk [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Leave phone number so owner can call and identify [ 6 ]  [8.00%]
Scratch them and keep any money won [ 57 ]  [76.00%]
Scratch them and give any money won to charity [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Other (explain) [ 8 ]  [10.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 75 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: June 7, 2011, 11:24 am - IP Logged

You found a brand new string of five $5 scratchoffs that somebody accidentally dropped in the parking lot outside the store after buying them.

What are you going to do with them?

And if you believe in karma/luck, do you think it will be affected in any way based on your choice of action to take?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Karma doesn't apply in this case for me. Possession is 9/10 of the law, just like finding five 20 dollar bills in the parking lot.

Even if I felt that the right thing to do was to go to the store and tell the owner to hold on to these in case the person returns, the onwer couldn't be trusted.

Sometimes doing the right thing can backfire.

I drive for an Airport transportaion service. About 6 years ago I found a small leather pouch with a zipper, about 5 inches in length, that contained 400 dollars in 20 dollar bills. The pouch had no information in it except for the money. I told my boss, and he claimed that he was going to to turn it over to the local  police department (YEAH RIGHT)   and If no one came forward, after the 3 months or so time limit, we would split the money. No one ever claimed it...

I never saw one penny !

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Karma doesn't apply in this case for me. Possession is 9/10 of the law, just like finding five 20 dollar bills in the parking lot.

Even if I felt that the right thing to do was to go to the store and tell the owner to hold on to these in case the person returns, the onwer couldn't be trusted.

I drive for an Airport transportaion service. About 6 years ago I found a small leather pouch with a zipper, about 5 inches in length, that contained 400 dollars in 20 dollar bills. The pouch had no information in it except for the money. I told my boss, and he claimed that he was going to to turn it over to the local  police department (YEAH RIGHT)   and If no one came forward, after the 3 months or so time limit, we would split the money. No one ever claimed it...

I never saw one penny !

I don't know about that.

I don't think you could expect good karma to manifest itself immediately.

I think you did the right thing and it'll come back to you in time, probably when you least expect it.

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about that.

I don't think you could expect good karma to manifest itself immediately.

I think you did the right thing and it'll come back to you in time, probably when you least expect it.

Really?

It's been 6 years and I'm still waiting for the good Karma.....

I ain't got all day you know...Green laugh

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
          The Ville, FL
          United States
          Member #95879
          August 19, 2010
          1708 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I never saw one penny !

"I told my boss, and he claimed that he was going to to turn it over to the local  police department (YEAH RIGHT)   and If no one came forward, after the 3 months or so time limit, we would split the money"

Funny how your boss thought he was entitled to half lol

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

"I told my boss, and he claimed that he was going to to turn it over to the local  police department (YEAH RIGHT)   and If no one came forward, after the 3 months or so time limit, we would split the money"

Funny how your boss thought he was entitled to half lol

He claimed it was his vehicle, and anything found in it was his.

We had a big argument over this. I gave him hints about being honest the next time around and he wasn't too happy about it. Whether i was going to follow through on my hints is another thing, but I wanted him to know that I wasn't being appreciated for the honesty.

I know that he's the type that wouldn't have turned it in, and he kept the whole thing. I was born at night, but not last night.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Really?

I know it sucks what your boss did but sometimes doing the right thing alone is its own reward.

There's not many things better than a clean conscience. That's better than keeping someone else's money anyday.

I'd bet it's come back to you in some good way already and you didn't even noitice.

--Edmund Burke

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22851 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

I voted keep them and if I have to scratch them, so be it. Big Grin

This falls under the category finders keepers and here's why...

Giving them to the store clerk would amount to the same thing...scratched tickets. The only difference is

any prize money would be in their pocket instead of mine.

Scratching them and giving them to charity...well, that's nice but usually the wins are only $5 anyway. I'd

rather buy some things to give away or give the money instead..my money, not found money.

Now on the other hand...you can take the finders keepers thing too far. If it's a top prize wow..that's a

sticky situation. Announce that you found a top prize ticket at 'Tiny's Gas Station' and your phone won't

stop ringing..so, you can't do that. Cash the ticket in and someone, in your immediate area will never be

able to shake the feeling that was THEIR ticket they lost last night and probably commit suicide or be

waiting in your living room when you get home late one night. A top prize is not $5 and so needs to be

split between the rightful owner (ticket finder) and a favorite charity...or a family member. The charity

is probably the best bet because either way...top prizes and family do not mix.

Karma...hmmmm....

Well..not sure what to say about that. If you didn't pick it up..someone else would have. So why not?

If you're in an accident the next month and lose both hands, I guess you could say: dang, wish I would

never have touched those tickets.

If you live happily ever after, then I guess it could be viewed as good karma/your lucky day.

Everything happens for a reason, if that reason is only that you woke up that day and got on with your

day and found a few instants on the ground and won a million dollars..that's good enough reason for

a lot of people.

Big Smile

Oh and another example of karma is when you rate a thread one star because of past issues and grudges

you probably lose your hair early or put on 150 pounds overnight...I think karma hits bad people in

bad ways more than it does good people in bad ways.

Joker for example is big enough to let things go. He just might win the pick 3 games today.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2011, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I voted keep them and if I have to scratch them, so be it. Big Grin

This falls under the category finders keepers and here's why...

Giving them to the store clerk would amount to the same thing...scratched tickets. The only difference is

any prize money would be in their pocket instead of mine.

Scratching them and giving them to charity...well, that's nice but usually the wins are only $5 anyway. I'd

rather buy some things to give away or give the money instead..my money, not found money.

Now on the other hand...you can take the finders keepers thing too far. If it's a top prize wow..that's a

sticky situation. Announce that you found a top prize ticket at 'Tiny's Gas Station' and your phone won't

stop ringing..so, you can't do that. Cash the ticket in and someone, in your immediate area will never be

able to shake the feeling that was THEIR ticket they lost last night and probably commit suicide or be

waiting in your living room when you get home late one night. A top prize is not $5 and so needs to be

split between the rightful owner (ticket finder) and a favorite charity...or a family member. The charity

is probably the best bet because either way...top prizes and family do not mix.

Karma...hmmmm....

Well..not sure what to say about that. If you didn't pick it up..someone else would have. So why not?

If you're in an accident the next month and lose both hands, I guess you could say: dang, wish I would

never have touched those tickets.

If you live happily ever after, then I guess it could be viewed as good karma/your lucky day.

Everything happens for a reason, if that reason is only that you woke up that day and got on with your

day and found a few instants on the ground and won a million dollars..that's good enough reason for

a lot of people.

Big Smile

Oh and another example of karma is when you rate a thread one star because of past issues and grudges

you probably lose your hair early or put on 150 pounds overnight...I think karma hits bad people in

bad ways more than it does good people in bad ways.

Joker for example is big enough to let things go. He just might win the pick 3 games today.

Thanks, dr.

Your answer about karma piqued my imagination a little bit, though.

Maybe you could look at it like this: Bad karma made a bad person lose the tickets and then good karma allowed you (a good person), to find them. Thus, it was meant to be.

Man, that really screws things up now, lol.

So maybe a real jerk lost that money and Joker was meant to find it and keep it.

I hope it doesn't work that way.

--Edmund Burke

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                    The Ville, FL
                    United States
                    Member #95879
                    August 19, 2010
                    1708 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2011, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

You found a brand new string of five $5 scratchoffs that somebody accidentally dropped in the parking lot outside the store after buying them.

And if you believe in karma/luck, do you think it will be affected in any way based on your choice of action to take?

I'd wait till I was done scratching to decide if I was going to turn them in or not ;)

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2011, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Well since these are bearers instruments and unplayed, I don't see how likely it is for someone to be able to identify them as their lost tickets.  So in this case, I would have to say "finders keepers, loser [doesn't know to be a] weepers".  I am as honest as they come and say it was a scenario in which I saw who dropped them, in that case I would pick them up, catch their attention and hand them back over to them.  But the point of sale of scratch-ifs does not provide for any identifying information for the purchaser, so if the loser is no where in sight, I would just have to claim them as my own.  I would be highly skeptical of a clerk endeavoring to return them to whoever lost them, so I would not be inclined to hand them over to any clerk.  Would I be considered a thief?  No, as it would be the same as finding a 20 dollar bill in the grass...it would be impossible to find the rightful owner as everybody could use 20 dollars.  Now a large bag or envelope of money is a different matter.  Also if the tickets were still unsigned, well that would indeed make the case of people signing their tickets as soon as they purchase them.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2011, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I'd wait till I was done scratching to decide if I was going to turn them in or not ;)

What a nice gesture.

I know you're trying to do your part to help by scratching the tickets for them, lol.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2011, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Well since these are bearers instruments and unplayed, I don't see how likely it is for someone to be able to identify them as their lost tickets.  So in this case, I would have to say "finders keepers, loser [doesn't know to be a] weepers".  I am as honest as they come and say it was a scenario in which I saw who dropped them, in that case I would pick them up, catch their attention and hand them back over to them.  But the point of sale of scratch-ifs does not provide for any identifying information for the purchaser, so if the loser is no where in sight, I would just have to claim them as my own.  I would be highly skeptical of a clerk endeavoring to return them to whoever lost them, so I would not be inclined to hand them over to any clerk.  Would I be considered a thief?  No, as it would be the same as finding a 20 dollar bill in the grass...it would be impossible to find the rightful owner as everybody could use 20 dollars.  Now a large bag or envelope of money is a different matter.  Also if the tickets were still unsigned, well that would indeed make the case of people signing their tickets as soon as they purchase them.

Thanks OldSchool.

Your response raises another question for me though.

You say it would be the same as finding $20 in the grass but a large bag or envelope of money would be a different matter.

OK then, what if you scratched a ticket and it was a $50,000 winner?

What happens then?

--Edmund Burke

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49627 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2011, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Really?

The Past 6 Years was the Good Karma: Just Imagine What the Past 6 Years Would Have Been Like With Bad Karma! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              49627 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Do the same thing you would want to happen if you were the one that lost the Tickets: Return them to the Person that Lost them! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!