Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Found Some Lottery Tickets - Now What?

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CashWinner$.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

Let's say you found five unscratched $5 scratchers in front of a store. What would you do with them?

Give them to the store owner or clerk [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Leave phone number so owner can call and identify [ 6 ]  [8.00%]
Scratch them and keep any money won [ 57 ]  [76.00%]
Scratch them and give any money won to charity [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Other (explain) [ 8 ]  [10.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 75 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: June 11, 2011, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Here's the question that remains for me:

If you bought the tickets and lost them aren't they still your lost property even if you didn't sign them?

Let's say they were PB or MM tickets that you lost and you heard somebody cashed in a big winner that was sold at the place you bought the ones you lost.

Could you contest their win and ask for proof such as video that they actually bought the tickets?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
    Delco PA
    United States
    Member #80104
    September 16, 2009
    194 Posts
    Posted: June 11, 2011, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

I agree, keep the tickets. regardless of the fact, that they are most likely losers anyway.

as for karma, what a laffer, theres no such thing. its just our values that are tugging at us. 

yesterday I bought some pick3 tix and was handed the previous players pick3 also with my pile by mistake. well, the player came back to the store and asked the clerk where his pick3 tixs were. I checked my pile and I had them, while they were unknowningly checking the history. I handed the guy his tixs and explained, the clerk must have given it to me by mistake. well, i saw his numbers. he didnt win. guess what else, I didnt win.  karma, lol.

Joker, if u come across $400 with no id, now u know what to do....                  call me and we'll split it, lol

why does this crap happen... i just wrote this the other day and i hit the numbers next day for $$$$s. i still can't give the credit to karma, just a coincidence....... maybe. life is funny.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #104435
      January 14, 2011
      2244 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2011, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I once found $100 bucks worth of lotto quick picks in the parking lot of a grocery store in one of those clear lotto pouches. no info whatsoever regarding who the owner may be. so i kept them and they ended up winning over $240 bucks. 

however ive found literally dozens of cellphones on the ground over the years (including 3 iphones). i gave all those back to the owners even though i could of easily sold them.... 

I consider lotto as cash but phones and other stuff as personal property.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
        Winning makes me smile.
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        4874 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2011, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

"When I gave it to him the first thing he did was count the money."

Sounds like a real classy guy.

Next time throw it in a mailbox.

That way he won't have any money to count if he even gets it back.

I have no idea how much was there, I didn't look. Could have been a thousand bucks for all I know. Wouldn't you have done the same thing if you had that much?

If you lost YOUR wallet wouldn't you like to get EVERYTHING back?

I sure would!!!

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2011, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I have no idea how much was there, I didn't look. Could have been a thousand bucks for all I know. Wouldn't you have done the same thing if you had that much?

If you lost YOUR wallet wouldn't you like to get EVERYTHING back?

I sure would!!!

No, I think I'da been a little more subtle. I'm just sayin' the guy acted like he wanted to see if you robbed him before being relieved and thankful that you returned it.  I wasn't disagreeing with anything you did, I've done it before too,  just his reaction to it. I thought he could have been a little more subtle about checking his money, that's all.

--Edmund Burke

germantown md
            United States
            Member #64543
            August 31, 2008
            3771 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2011, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Here's the question that remains for me:

If you bought the tickets and lost them aren't they still your lost property even if you didn't sign them?

Let's say they were PB or MM tickets that you lost and you heard somebody cashed in a big winner that was sold at the place you bought the ones you lost.

Could you contest their win and ask for proof such as video that they actually bought the tickets?

u sure can if all checks out with a hungry lawyer

Thegee

hush!!!! money is speaking White Bounce

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2011, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

u sure can if all checks out with a hungry lawyer

Yeah, but then does an unsigned ticket being a bearer instrument trump proof that you bought and lost it?

--Edmund Burke

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                Winning makes me smile.
                bel air maryland
                United States
                Member #90251
                April 24, 2010
                4874 Posts
                Posted: June 13, 2011, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

Well he didn't actually set the wallet down and count it out lol. And I saw his name on his pay stub so he could have been making sure his check was there. He did thank me, and as far as I was concerned every thing was there. Now some one else could have taken the $$$ and just put his wallet back on the floor. It would not be the first time someone had $$$ stolen at work and I wasn't planning on being accused of anything. Which is why I never looked at anything after I saw his name, I figured it was none of my business and I could honestly say I did not know what he had if I was accused.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: June 13, 2011, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Well he didn't actually set the wallet down and count it out lol. And I saw his name on his pay stub so he could have been making sure his check was there. He did thank me, and as far as I was concerned every thing was there. Now some one else could have taken the $$$ and just put his wallet back on the floor. It would not be the first time someone had $$$ stolen at work and I wasn't planning on being accused of anything. Which is why I never looked at anything after I saw his name, I figured it was none of my business and I could honestly say I did not know what he had if I was accused.

You're an honest man, gr.  Sometimes it seems like there ain't many of us left.

--Edmund Burke

loonasee2's avatar - ty789 zpsxdhaaskf.jpg
                    Orangutan Forest
                    United States
                    Member #95128
                    August 4, 2010
                    12791 Posts
                    Posted: June 13, 2011, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

A guy I know dropped his money clip in a parking lot of gas station.Realized it when he got home his money clip was gone,freaked out, and started back tracking .He got to the gas station,and went in and asked if anybody had seen his money clip.The store manager told him no,but he would check the stores cameras.And sure enough they saw it being picked up by a unhonest person.But they checked the rest of the cameras found the guy getting into his car and driving away.The guy I know called the state police,and they went to the guys house that took the money clip.When the state police first asked the guy for my friends money clip he denied knowing anything about any money clip.Then the state police told him they have a video of him picking up the money clip.My friend got his money clip back ,when the guy fessed up.The crazy part of all this the guy asked for a reward.

Cash with know ID ,most people would probably take it.

But the moral of the story you just never know who is watching.

cashbuckets of cash

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: June 13, 2011, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

A guy I know dropped his money clip in a parking lot of gas station.Realized it when he got home his money clip was gone,freaked out, and started back tracking .He got to the gas station,and went in and asked if anybody had seen his money clip.The store manager told him no,but he would check the stores cameras.And sure enough they saw it being picked up by a unhonest person.But they checked the rest of the cameras found the guy getting into his car and driving away.The guy I know called the state police,and they went to the guys house that took the money clip.When the state police first asked the guy for my friends money clip he denied knowing anything about any money clip.Then the state police told him they have a video of him picking up the money clip.My friend got his money clip back ,when the guy fessed up.The crazy part of all this the guy asked for a reward.

Cash with know ID ,most people would probably take it.

But the moral of the story you just never know who is watching.

I'da gave him a reward - right upside the head.

--Edmund Burke

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7313 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2011, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I'da gave him a reward - right upside the head.

From the stories I'm reading the best solution is to walk on by and let the next guy worry about it. If the tickets were given to some clerks, they would probably scratch them and cash in any winners and when the true owner asked about them, they give the description of whomever turned them in.

Sure is a "catch-22".

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2011, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Judging by the poll so far, if you lose your tickets, about 75% of the people who might find 'em are gonna scratch 'em and keep the money.

So don't lose 'em, folks!

But if you do, check with the owner or clerk to see if anybody left the tickets or a phone number to call and identify them cuz a small percentage of people will do that.

If you know you're a Klutz who loses stuff a lot, it might be a good idea to sign the tickets before you leave the store (if you haven't lost your pen).

--Edmund Burke

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: June 14, 2011, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Judging by the poll so far, if you lose your tickets, about 75% of the people who might find 'em are gonna scratch 'em and keep the money.

So don't lose 'em, folks!

But if you do, check with the owner or clerk to see if anybody left the tickets or a phone number to call and identify them cuz a small percentage of people will do that.

If you know you're a Klutz who loses stuff a lot, it might be a good idea to sign the tickets before you leave the store (if you haven't lost your pen).

Judging by the poll so far, if you lose your tickets, about 75% of the people who might find 'em are gonna scratch 'em and keep the money.

And 25% lie about it....Green laugh

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: June 14, 2011, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Judging by the poll so far, if you lose your tickets, about 75% of the people who might find 'em are gonna scratch 'em and keep the money.

And 25% lie about it....Green laugh

Doesn't sound like you have much faith in human nature, lol.

--Edmund Burke