Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Found Some Lottery Tickets - Now What?

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 6 years ago by CashWinner$.

Page 3 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

Let's say you found five unscratched $5 scratchers in front of a store. What would you do with them?

Give them to the store owner or clerk [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Leave phone number so owner can call and identify [ 6 ]  [8.00%]
Scratch them and keep any money won [ 57 ]  [76.00%]
Scratch them and give any money won to charity [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Other (explain) [ 8 ]  [10.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 75 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #74096
May 2, 2009
23248 Posts
Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if this scenario is in the archives of the television program: What Would You Do?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    23248 Posts
    Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

If I did that (left them there), I would consider it to be out of my hands and any karma connected with their handling would be the reward or curse of whoever decided to do something with them.

I'm just not clear on whether it would be right or wrong to scratch them, (Personally, I wouldn't), and then what to do if they contained a major winner.

Ok rdgrnr, how many did you find? lol! j/k

A poster said return them to their rightful owner...?? How if they went home already??

I'm assuming the tickets were laying there for at least a little while. So if the person already left, you

just can't, unless they come back in the store and ask if anyone found tickets on the ground. They aren't

like keys...you can do something with them. Chances are if you do not pick them up, someone else will.

Now if I saw the person drop them, I would call out to them and tell them so. That would be very wrong

to see the person who dropped them and wait until they got in their car and left to swoop in and take

them. Just coming across tickets laying there, well..that's very different.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2011, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

I'd scratch 'em.  If one is a winner big enough to have to take it to the lottery commission to cash it, I would tell the LC the truth -  that I found the ticket(s) unscratched and I wasn't sure what to do with them.

I believe the LC will try to determine who lost the tickets.  The claimant would probably have to know where they were bought, where they were lost, how many, and which game.  If they find the rightful owner the money is theirs.  If they don't it's mine guilt-free.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2011, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

I voted Other just because it's a real tough call.

I would have voted give them o the owner or clerk, but I can think of at least one clerk who would be scratching them before I left the counter!

Well not even a lottery clerk, but a cashier.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #3958
          March 7, 2004
          74 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2011, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

i would go inside and asked the clerk if  i could post a sign saying that  some scratchoffs,were  found and give the store  # for them to call ..

then if anybody call they would have to says when they lost them and which one that they lost,and i would give them 1 week to contact the store and if no one call then i would scrath away

grwurston's avatar - 144
            Let's Go Rangers!!!
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            5132 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2011, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

A couple of weeks ago I found a wallet on the floor in the locker room at work. I opened it just enough to see the guys name.

When I gave it to him the first thing he did was count the money. Every thing was there, I did not touch a thing. Karma was, I found it, some one else may have kept the money or the wallet.

As for the guy who lost the tickets, maybe he went looking for them and karma kept him out of a car crash he would have been in if he hadn't looked for the tickets. Or maybe he stole them from someone. We'll never know.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6305 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2011, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

Is this a trick question Ridge...LOLROFL..... I definietly wouldn't give it to the clerk how many stories have we read about dishonest clerks stealing tickets.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                42221 Posts
                Posted: June 8, 2011, 7:56 am - IP Logged

I would tell the clerk I found some tickets, and leave my number, if after 30 days no one can identify the lost tickets, I would scratch em, sure ain't giving them to a clerk.

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: June 8, 2011, 11:17 am - IP Logged

i would go inside and asked the clerk if  i could post a sign saying that  some scratchoffs,were  found and give the store  # for them to call ..

then if anybody call they would have to says when they lost them and which one that they lost,and i would give them 1 week to contact the store and if no one call then i would scrath away

That sounds good to me, janie.

I hope if I ever lose mine when I'm staggering out of the liquor store, that somebody like you finds them! Thumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: June 8, 2011, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Ok rdgrnr, how many did you find? lol! j/k

A poster said return them to their rightful owner...?? How if they went home already??

I'm assuming the tickets were laying there for at least a little while. So if the person already left, you

just can't, unless they come back in the store and ask if anyone found tickets on the ground. They aren't

like keys...you can do something with them. Chances are if you do not pick them up, someone else will.

Now if I saw the person drop them, I would call out to them and tell them so. That would be very wrong

to see the person who dropped them and wait until they got in their car and left to swoop in and take

them. Just coming across tickets laying there, well..that's very different.

"Ok rdgrnr, how many did you find?"

Who, me?  Wink LOL

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: June 8, 2011, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I'd scratch 'em.  If one is a winner big enough to have to take it to the lottery commission to cash it, I would tell the LC the truth -  that I found the ticket(s) unscratched and I wasn't sure what to do with them.

I believe the LC will try to determine who lost the tickets.  The claimant would probably have to know where they were bought, where they were lost, how many, and which game.  If they find the rightful owner the money is theirs.  If they don't it's mine guilt-free.

Sounds like you're putting a lot of faith in the LC, HoLeeKau.

Idaho's LC must be a lot more trustworthy than Tennessee's.

I think TN would do everything they could to keep it themselves.

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2011, 11:33 am - IP Logged

tiggs would cash them take money to Tenn and spend it there..Nobody ever goes to Tenn so tiggs would safe..tiggs would fit right in there he looks like a bum...

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: June 8, 2011, 11:38 am - IP Logged

tiggs would cash them take money to Tenn and spend it there..Nobody ever goes to Tenn so tiggs would safe..tiggs would fit right in there he looks like a bum...

Hey ya old geezer!

I gave your pic to the TN State Troopers, they'll catch ya at the line.

Probably charge ya with driving while being from Kentucky.

That's a felony down here.

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: June 8, 2011, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Hey ya old geezer!

I gave your pic to the TN State Troopers, they'll catch ya at the line.

Probably charge ya with driving while being from Kentucky.

That's a felony down here.

Is it true the State Troopers in Tenn drive drunk and are allowed to?..

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: June 8, 2011, 11:58 am - IP Logged

Is it true the State Troopers in Tenn drive drunk and are allowed to?..

No, the law is very specific and says they can only be drunk while testifying in court or doing administrative work in the station or working in the evidence room where all the seized drugs are stored for upcoming court cases.

They are very strict about that. There is zero tolerance for any trooper violating those guidelines.

--Edmund Burke