Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You Found Some Lottery Tickets - Now What?

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CashWinner$.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

Let's say you found five unscratched $5 scratchers in front of a store. What would you do with them?

Give them to the store owner or clerk [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Leave phone number so owner can call and identify [ 6 ]  [8.00%]
Scratch them and keep any money won [ 57 ]  [76.00%]
Scratch them and give any money won to charity [ 2 ]  [2.67%]
Other (explain) [ 8 ]  [10.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 75 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Do the same thing you would want to happen if you were the one that lost the Tickets: Return them to the Person that Lost them! Thud

I agree Raven but I think we're in the minority so far.

I wonder what the legal aspects are?

Like if it was a major winning ticket you found and tried to cash it in, would they check tapes to see if you purchased it and so forth?

And is it completely legal to cash in a lost ticket without trying to find the owner as long as it's not signed?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Oh boy. I just got back from the store and checked my tickets here in Florida. I thought I made the deadline for the mid, but they're for tomorrow. The computer made them for tomorrow's mid instead of tonight. I always thought it went to the very next draw, not skip a draw.

Oh well, maybe Krama is at work....Banana

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
      lottoville
      United States
      Member #95474
      August 11, 2010
      132 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

I would leave the tickets right where I found them. There is a chance the owner might realize what happened and come back for them, besides even if they ended up being winning tickets, I personally couldn't picture myself living the high life with someone elses winnings.

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

Like if it was a major winning ticket you found and tried to cash it in, would they check tapes to see if you purchased it and so forth?

And is it completely legal to cash in a lost ticket without trying to find the owner as long as it's not signed?

I'm sure the laws in each state are different, but that's why they always say to sign the back of the ticket. It's a Grizzly bearer instrument, so technically, whoever has it can claim it.

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

I would leave the tickets right where I found them. There is a chance the owner might realize what happened and come back for them, besides even if they ended up being winning tickets, I personally couldn't picture myself living the high life with someone elses winnings.

That's all nice and dandy, but what if someone else picks them up?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Oh boy. I just got back from the store and checked my tickets here in Florida. I thought I made the deadline for the mid, but they're for tomorrow. The computer made them for tomorrow's mid instead of tonight. I always thought it went to the very next draw, not skip a draw.

Oh well, maybe Krama is at work....Banana

They only go to the next draw if you didn't mark mid or eve.

Learned that the hard way myself.

--Edmund Burke

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49725 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Makes You Wonder: What happened to the sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct!

Their are Laws Governing Lost Property! (See Previous Posts on Lost Lottery Tickets)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

If I did that (left them there), I would consider it to be out of my hands and any karma connected with their handling would be the reward or curse of whoever decided to do something with them.

I'm just not clear on whether it would be right or wrong to scratch them, (Personally, I wouldn't), and then what to do if they contained a major winner.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2011, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Makes You Wonder: What happened to the sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct!

Their are Laws Governing Lost Property! (See Previous Posts on Lost Lottery Tickets)

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Even if you don't sign the ticket; is it still your property, though lost?

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2011, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

I like that answer too, Owl.

I should have put it as an option in the poll.

--Edmund Burke

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                      NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3701 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2011, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Do the same thing you would want to happen if you were the one that lost the Tickets: Return them to the Person that Lost them! Thud

Return them to the person that lost them?  That's not going to be easy.  I think it's a little more likely that the person who lost them has a better chance of finding the person who found them, and that's if the guy who lost them tells somebody he lost them, and if the guy who found them tells someone he found some tickets. 

If either party doesnt say anything to anybody, all bets are off.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

surimaribo24's avatar - photo11 zpsfffd70be.jpg
                        NEW YORK. RIVERHEAD
                        United States
                        Member #106371
                        February 17, 2011
                        9702 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2011, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

well i look at this both ways. if i would see and knew who dropped it then no doubt i would aware them . beside that no way i would give it to the store clerk . do you really think they would keep it aside . go figure all those story we read about lotto clerks. i would simply pick it up scracht it and consider it as my lucky day and  it was meant to be for me Smile. is all about little bit of luck .

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I would likely keep them. As mentioned earlier, maybe it's karma getting you back for something good you did good earlier. If it was a small winner I would claim it and if it was a major winner I would have some serious thinking to do.

I don't believe they would check cameras or anything if you won on a scratchoff, though they may if it's a major jackpot in a ball game. You could probably contact a lawyer and tell him the situation and from that you could know whether you could claim them without any major issues or if the best course was to try and find the true winner. I think you could still legally claim the ticket though, as the ticket is a bearer instrument and your name would be on it, plus the lottery isn't responsible for lost tickets and it's not like you stole them. The biggest issue in question would be your consience.

This is the reason I put the tickets in my back left pocket even before I leave the counter. I don't want to risk losing tickets and having them be a major winner. If this happened to a ticket that I had lost and somebody turned in I would really consider donating a good amount to them for being an honest person.

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                            lottoville
                            United States
                            Member #95474
                            August 11, 2010
                            132 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

If anyone else besides the owner finds the tickets, then they will have to make the choice for themselves. I don't think anyone can fault them legally if they decide to keep the tickets, especially if there is no name on the tickets but just speaking for myself, I wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the money if I won. Call me self-richeous but I wouldn't feel right.

No one is perfect and I'm sure everyone here has lost or will lose a ticket at some point. I think the last thing anyone would want is for someone else to find their ticket and then claim the winnings for themselves.

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
                              Delco PA
                              United States
                              Member #80104
                              September 16, 2009
                              194 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2011, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I agree, keep the tickets. regardless of the fact, that they are most likely losers anyway.

as for karma, what a laffer, theres no such thing. its just our values that are tugging at us. 

yesterday I bought some pick3 tix and was handed the previous players pick3 also with my pile by mistake. well, the player came back to the store and asked the clerk where his pick3 tixs were. I checked my pile and I had them, while they were unknowningly checking the history. I handed the guy his tixs and explained, the clerk must have given it to me by mistake. well, i saw his numbers. he didnt win. guess what else, I didnt win.  karma, lol.

Joker, if u come across $400 with no id, now u know what to do....                  call me and we'll split it, lol