Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL - Will You Buy $2 Lottery Tickets?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Will You Buy $2 Lottery Tickets?

Yes [ 56 ]  [49.56%]
No [ 26 ]  [23.01%]
Only if Jackpot hits certain level. [ 22 ]  [19.47%]
Undecided [ 3 ]  [2.65%]
Other - Explain [ 6 ]  [5.31%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
New Jersey
United States
Member #99032
October 18, 2010
1439 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2011, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Actually it's $3 with Powerplay or $2 without.

They made the 5+0 permanently a $1 million dollar winner now on a $2 ticket and it becomes a $2 million dollar winner with Powerplay for $3.

Were you able to find the information on the new prizes anywhere?

If so where, or what is the new prize structure?

All I know is the lowest prize is a dollar more and the 5+0 prize is a million.

I couldn't find anything on Powerplay except that it's probably going to be a fixed multiplier, multiplying different prizes by different amounts.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22872 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2011, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

Actually it's $3 with Powerplay or $2 without.

They made the 5+0 permanently a $1 million dollar winner now on a $2 ticket and it becomes a $2 million dollar winner with Powerplay for $3.

Ah! Thank you rdgrnr, I knew they spiced things up a bit but didn't know exactly how.

Still going to avoid it though.

Approve

I can throw my money away elsewhere.

LOL

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2011, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Were you able to find the information on the new prizes anywhere?

If so where, or what is the new prize structure?

All I know is the lowest prize is a dollar more and the 5+0 prize is a million.

I couldn't find anything on Powerplay except that it's probably going to be a fixed multiplier, multiplying different prizes by different amounts.

I think it's in this news story from back in June.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/233316

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22872 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2011, 1:44 am - IP Logged

dr65, no really i was thinking in terms of what i would do if it happens to MM,i think ridge said something like,if PB does it,then MM, will to, not a quote, the short version .

i play MM reg.

PB is rare .

sorry,i had to edit, why did you lose your lunch on this ?

I don't play unless it goes way up there. I 'lost my lunch' because I don't see the need to change and it all boils down to more money collected.

I think the odds are horrible on either of the games..MM, PB

Switching things around like they did would not make me want to play more..or run out and start playing every week either.

Good luck to whoever plays!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
          Member #59354
          March 13, 2008
          3964 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2011, 10:05 am - IP Logged

I really thought there would be a lot more no votes.

I thought there was a lot more opposition to the new $2 PB game than is being shown here.

Ridge

I think that the people who don't mind are mostly QP players that just spend a few bucks

here and there.  For a system player double the price is a little harder to handle.  Spending

2 vs 1 is not that bad for a single ticket but going from 25 to 50 is just too much given the odds. 

I would move on to another game, this price increase is just a way to generate more income for

the states involved.  Consider how few match 5of5 then it's not hard to see.  I guess if the payout

is large enough people will play even though they have almost no chance of ever winning much of it.

These games remind me of the old farmers dangling a carrot in front of the mule so he would keep

chasing it pulling the plow.  What's bad is we are not much smarter then a mule.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #99032
            October 18, 2010
            1439 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2011, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I think it's in this news story from back in June.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/233316

Yeah, that news story had those 2 things in it, the 3 dollar prize is being raised to 4, and the 5+0 is being raised to a million.

My guess is that they either haven't decided all of the prizes, or haven't released all the info.

Personally I'm happy with the change, as long as the pay table doesn't suck.  I believe that PB currently pays back like 48-49 percent of the $2 you spend back, not including the jackpot IF you use powerplay.  If it's worse, I won't play, if it's better, I will.  I rarely play anyway, but having the choice between the two games, 1 dollar MM and 2 dollar PB is better than having the choice between both for a dollar, assuming the prize structure is decent (as in with PowerPlay, it results in about 55% average payback - or more- without including the Jackpot).

If it doesn't pay back more than before, I probably won't pay the extra dollar for PP, and I'll probably compare the two pay tables to eachother, with and without, then make my decision if I will PP or not for $3 next year.

United States
              Member #93947
              July 10, 2010
              2180 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2011, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Ridge

I think that the people who don't mind are mostly QP players that just spend a few bucks

here and there.  For a system player double the price is a little harder to handle.  Spending

2 vs 1 is not that bad for a single ticket but going from 25 to 50 is just too much given the odds. 

I would move on to another game, this price increase is just a way to generate more income for

the states involved.  Consider how few match 5of5 then it's not hard to see.  I guess if the payout

is large enough people will play even though they have almost no chance of ever winning much of it.

These games remind me of the old farmers dangling a carrot in front of the mule so he would keep

chasing it pulling the plow.  What's bad is we are not much smarter then a mule.

RL

I don't understand why anyone would be upset with this change.  Currently, if you buy 10 MegaMillions OR Powerball tickets at a cost of $10, your expected return is $5, or 50% of your purchase price.  When the Powerball goes up to $2, allowing you to buy 5 tickets with $10, your expected return will still be $5.  What this means to me is that with the new Powerball game, I will have a choice.  I can spend $10 on Powerball with 5 chances to win bigger 2nd tier prizes, or $10 on Megamillions for 10 chances to win smaller 2nd tier prizes.  Everybody should be happy!

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2011, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, that news story had those 2 things in it, the 3 dollar prize is being raised to 4, and the 5+0 is being raised to a million.

My guess is that they either haven't decided all of the prizes, or haven't released all the info.

Personally I'm happy with the change, as long as the pay table doesn't suck.  I believe that PB currently pays back like 48-49 percent of the $2 you spend back, not including the jackpot IF you use powerplay.  If it's worse, I won't play, if it's better, I will.  I rarely play anyway, but having the choice between the two games, 1 dollar MM and 2 dollar PB is better than having the choice between both for a dollar, assuming the prize structure is decent (as in with PowerPlay, it results in about 55% average payback - or more- without including the Jackpot).

If it doesn't pay back more than before, I probably won't pay the extra dollar for PP, and I'll probably compare the two pay tables to eachother, with and without, then make my decision if I will PP or not for $3 next year.

I think the math I read was wrong, I just made a paytable in excel and got a 19.71% return without powerplay, excluding the JP.  And a 34.49% return with Powerplay excluding the JP.

I know Lottery players don't usually care much about statistics, but that generally makes Powerplay a worse bet IF you include the Jackpot in the statistics.  Specifically, when the JP is at 45 million after cash option and taxes, then you can say statistically, Powerplay makes Powerball a worse bet.

At least according to my math.

United States
                  Member #59354
                  March 13, 2008
                  3964 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2011, 1:10 am - IP Logged

Jimmy

My concerns are based on the cost of a ticket and not the payouts.   The majority of players don't

win anything but are now asked to pay double.  Most play for the JP and it is here that the game

is lop-sided.  Playing 2 tickets as the game is now gives 1 in 97,634,527 for a JP and with the change

it will be 1 in 175,223,510. The main goal of any game should be to hit a JP and the new does not do

anything to improve ones chances but in fact it does the reverse.  Anyone who has been around long

enough to dress themselves knows that when the JP climbs ticket sales increase.  What they are doing

is designed to move the JP up the ladder faster to improve sales by using smoke and mirrors of increasing

payouts for smaller prizes.  They want to get a bigger peice of the action because they know that people

will play the game with the larger JP.  MM will have to do something to counteract this PB move.  The Jp's

will climb so fast that MM will be left in the dust and so will most of the players that fund this deception.

Also the odds for a 5of5 w/o PB does not change at all.  The new game offers no improvement to win either

of the top two prizes.  Not a very big bang for the buck when you consider this.  I can't see people falling

for this but I know it will happen anyway. 

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
                    Member #93947
                    July 10, 2010
                    2180 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2011, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Jimmy

My concerns are based on the cost of a ticket and not the payouts.   The majority of players don't

win anything but are now asked to pay double.  Most play for the JP and it is here that the game

is lop-sided.  Playing 2 tickets as the game is now gives 1 in 97,634,527 for a JP and with the change

it will be 1 in 175,223,510. The main goal of any game should be to hit a JP and the new does not do

anything to improve ones chances but in fact it does the reverse.  Anyone who has been around long

enough to dress themselves knows that when the JP climbs ticket sales increase.  What they are doing

is designed to move the JP up the ladder faster to improve sales by using smoke and mirrors of increasing

payouts for smaller prizes.  They want to get a bigger peice of the action because they know that people

will play the game with the larger JP.  MM will have to do something to counteract this PB move.  The Jp's

will climb so fast that MM will be left in the dust and so will most of the players that fund this deception.

Also the odds for a 5of5 w/o PB does not change at all.  The new game offers no improvement to win either

of the top two prizes.  Not a very big bang for the buck when you consider this.  I can't see people falling

for this but I know it will happen anyway. 

RL

I've stood in a lot of lottery terminal lines, and I can't remember the last time I observed anyone purchase only one(1) Powerball or Megamillions ticket.  Since my lottery outlet doesn't enforce payslips, my typical experience is waiting as people dictate long lists of numbers.  And sadly, the people with the longest lists seem to be the ones most in need of a shave and/or a new pair of shoes!

BTW, based on your post here, no one would ever guess that you have a problem that usually makes it difficult for you to express yourself in writing.  Congratulations!

Do you happen to know if JOSEPHUSMINIMUS has returned from vacation yet?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10347 Posts
                      Posted: August 8, 2011, 1:43 am - IP Logged

jimmy4164

What this means to me is that with the new Powerball game, I will have a choice.  I can spend $10 on Powerball with 5 chances to win bigger 2nd tier prizes, or $10 on Megamillions for 10 chances to win smaller 2nd tier prizes. 

Probably not for too long. MM will folow suit and go to $2 also, making it $3 for the Megaplier. I think there was a post about it.

Anyone care to make a line on the O/U before MM goes o $2? How many drawings after PB does?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3964 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2011, 1:44 am - IP Logged

jimmy

Not heard from JM in months he may got a new job and moved on.  I think the lottery was just something

he worked at to pass the time and don't think he played other than on paper.  I did not think that you would

miss him.  Maybe he will show back up.   

RL

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                          Whiskey Island
                          United States
                          Member #90216
                          April 24, 2010
                          12732 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2011, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Yes , I would buy a $2.00 TICKET but the jackpot needs to start at $50 MILLION instead of the $20 MILLION......

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2011, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

jimmy

Not heard from JM in months he may got a new job and moved on.  I think the lottery was just something

he worked at to pass the time and don't think he played other than on paper.  I did not think that you would

miss him.  Maybe he will show back up.   

RL

Can I assume this means your last post addressed to me was written entirely by you?

United States
                              Member #59354
                              March 13, 2008
                              3964 Posts
                              Posted: August 8, 2011, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

JIMMY

100%, I have been doing my workouts which help and I took my time, around 45 minuets.  I think you

are getting paranoid again and if you think I am JM or have anything to do with him then you are wrong.

As far as I know he had a temporary living arrangement waiting for a better opportunity to come as he was

hit hard by the recession.  I don't think he would have ever posted here in his former life,  I hope his situation

has improved and allowed him to return to that life and if that is the case I don't think we will ever hear from

him again.  I was unaware of his absence but I do know that Gary has been working on another project and

still emails me every couple weeks just to stay in touch.  We don't discuss the lottery or LP at all.

RL