Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did Joan Ginther have a little help in her 4 lottery wins?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 5 years ago by James1.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
imagine's avatar - WINGS

United States
Member #85047
January 7, 2010
102 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2011, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

The current issue of Harpers magazine has an article on Joan Ginther. 

Joan Ginther holds a math Ph. D. from Stanford.  The new article goes on to examine how she could have beat the system. 

I haven't read it but it sounds interesting.  Single issues of the magazine are available online. 

There are a couple articles in Google news, that talk a little bit more about it.

Sorry can't seem to post a link.

The Harpers article talks about how with help from the store owner she could have got inside info.

The week the article was to go to print, the store suddenly closed.

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2011, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

You need to purchase a subscription to read the article.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2011, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

The current issue of Harpers magazine has an article on Joan Ginther. 

Joan Ginther holds a math Ph. D. from Stanford.  The new article goes on to examine how she could have beat the system. 

I haven't read it but it sounds interesting.  Single issues of the magazine are available online. 

There are a couple articles in Google news, that talk a little bit more about it.

Sorry can't seem to post a link.

The Harpers article talks about how with help from the store owner she could have got inside info.

I'm assuming you mean inside info for the scratchers only. Also, how would the owner know which scratcher would be a winner?, because If he/she knew, they'd keep that info to themself, then find a trusting friend to cash it in and keep most of the profits.

imagine's avatar - WINGS

United States
        Member #85047
        January 7, 2010
        102 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2011, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

You can buy a single copy subscription 6.99.

I'm old fashion, headed to the book store tomorrow.  I'm curious what it says.

imagine's avatar - WINGS

United States
          Member #85047
          January 7, 2010
          102 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2011, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

I'm assuming you mean inside info for the scratchers only. Also, how would the owner know which scratcher would be a winner?, because If he/she knew, they'd keep that info to themself, then find a trusting friend to cash it in and keep most of the profits.

Yes inside info on the scratchers only.

I don't really know what inside info they could get from the owner, but the article is supposed to prove it's possible. 

I imagine the inside info would take a math wiz to crack.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2011, 12:54 am - IP Logged

I saw the Forbes article, and I actually believe it is possible:

http://blogs.forbes.com/kiriblakeley/2011/07/21/meet-the-luckiest-woman-in-the-world/

Once she won the first jackpot, she was in a good position to win the other 3: Once you have money, its a lot easier to make more money. And the more you play, the more you win.

There definitely seems to be a somewhat regular interval for the release of top prizes for scratch games. I also try to buy more when the game is "hot" but my methods are too small and primitive. If she was buying a lot of books of tickets, she could do some statistical analysis on the insertion of winners in them and then try and figure out the algorithm to see when the best time or the best book numbers to "buy heavy" on the scratch games to increase the chances of hitting a top prize.

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2011, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Does not anyone find the fact that the same store recieved 3 winning scratch-off's kind of peculiar?  I do.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2011, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Does not anyone find the fact that the same store recieved 3 winning scratch-off's kind of peculiar?  I do.

Yes, it does seem a little strange for a little store in a little town in the middle of nowhere that then goes out of business.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2011, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

If people think the lottery is cheating them they should then quit and don't get involved..After they win millions they'll say the lottery is the best thing ever then if they lose all there money the'll blame someone else or the lottery..tiggs has spoken...

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2011, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

If people think the lottery is cheating them they should then quit and don't get involved..After they win millions they'll say the lottery is the best thing ever then if they lose all there money the'll blame someone else or the lottery..tiggs has spoken...

Anybody who thinks lottery games have never been fixed should invest in some ocean front property in Palookaville, Kentucky.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: August 8, 2011, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Anybody who thinks lottery games have never been fixed should invest in some ocean front property in Palookaville, Kentucky.

And there is at least one loser in every state..Guess who it is in Tenn....:)...DING DING DING!!!..We have a winner...

Pure luck

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23273 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2011, 3:07 pm - IP Logged
                          dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          22944 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2011, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

'tiggs has spoken'

lol tiggs! I like it!

I believe there is a certain manipulation going on if only of the pre-draws. I think that's cheating in itself.

I don't know what all the hooplah is about the lady in Texas..I think that if she were cheating somehow

or had an advantage...wouldn't she have cheated a little more often? And besides, I read in the other

story that 3 of her big wins were from scratch offs...heck, I could probably make that happened if I

really wanted to - I just gotta play more I guess.

Pretty sad when someone has to draw the negative into the story and raise some eyebrows over

someone else's luck.

Gosh, some of us have it....some of us never will.

I say leave the lady alone.

Big Smile

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                            The Ville, FL
                            United States
                            Member #95879
                            August 19, 2010
                            1708 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2011, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

It is pretty rare, however the Publix right by my house has already had 3 x $250K winners in the past 4 years. Some of the other grocers around my house have not had a sinlge Top Prize. It definitely can happen.

Hard to believe, but it happens

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: August 8, 2011, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

'tiggs has spoken'

lol tiggs! I like it!

I believe there is a certain manipulation going on if only of the pre-draws. I think that's cheating in itself.

I don't know what all the hooplah is about the lady in Texas..I think that if she were cheating somehow

or had an advantage...wouldn't she have cheated a little more often? And besides, I read in the other

story that 3 of her big wins were from scratch offs...heck, I could probably make that happened if I

really wanted to - I just gotta play more I guess.

Pretty sad when someone has to draw the negative into the story and raise some eyebrows over

someone else's luck.

Gosh, some of us have it....some of us never will.

I say leave the lady alone.

Big Smile

"Leave the lady alone"...dr65 has spoken..:):):)...Well said!!..

Pure luck