Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 9:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Waiting for Wealth

Topic closed. 404 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 8 of 27
PrintE-mailLink

Should you vote for and support policies that benefit only the rich as you wait to win the lottery?

Yes [ 10 ]  [18.52%]
No [ 44 ]  [81.48%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
12118 Posts
Posted: May 2, 2012, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

What is best for the country?   What would Jesus do with your winnings? 

"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's."

Narrative

"The synoptic gospels state that hostile questioners tried to trap Jesus into taking an explicit and dangerous stand on whether Jews should or should not pay taxes to the Roman authorities. The accounts in Matthew and Mark say that the questioners were Pharisees and Herodians, while Luke says only that they were "spies" sent by "teachers of the law and the chief priests".

They anticipated that Jesus would oppose the tax, as their purpose was "to hand him over to the power and authority of the governor" (Luke 20:20). The governor was Pilate, and he was the man responsible for the collecting of taxes in Roman Judea. At first the questioners flattered Jesus by praising his integrity, impartiality, and devotion to truth. Then they asked him whether or not it is right for Jews to pay the taxes demanded by Caesar. In the Gospel of Mark (12:15) the additional, provocative question is asked, "Should we pay or shouldn't we?" Jesus first called them hypocrites, and then asked one of them to produce a Roman coin that would be suitable for paying Caesar's tax. One of them showed him a Roman coin, and he asked them whose name and inscription were on it. They answered, "Caesar's," and he responded"

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_unto_Caesar...

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
    TX
    United States
    Member #121193
    January 4, 2012
    1637 Posts
    Posted: May 2, 2012, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I isn't about controlling how much they are allowed to make. It is more about when a man or woman put in a good day of work, that they take home enough money to support themselves, their family, church, and community. This country wasn't and never could sustain itself with the income gap that you see in this chart from the CBO.

This is dangerous, the more power left in corporate hands, the harder it will become to go back to a more balanced economy. The reason why is because their lobbyist with the aid of local and federal legislatures will pass laws to make it difficult to counter their power.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. An example is the designed - dumbing down of local news so we can't fully understand the issues that we must understand. Voter suppression.

We applaud wealth, but uncontrolled wealth without checks is dangerous for all parties and democracy. That is why I asked the question; while waiting to win the lottery, should we vote for policies that will lead to your own destruction?

Interesting point of view....mind answering a few questions for me ??  Your 2nd sentence for example, "that they take enough money to support themselves, their family,church and community".....Well, WHO decides "how much" ???.. Where do you set the limit on how much is enough?  If you set a limit, is it based on the city,county or state  you live in?....... The United States did not be come the country it is today by more regulations on earned income. We became the country we are today based on the availability/ability to EARN the income.This country has done more for mankind than any other nation on the planet with our freedoms to create. Should a person/committee/government start putting restrictions on people, " that take home enough money to support themselves, their family, church, and community" ?..... Then I believe you are contradicting what this countries reason for existence was established on.....

I saw Rdge asked you ,"What percentage of their income do you think rich people should be allowed to have, Googler?"... I have yet to see your answer.....So I will ask you basically the same question....What percentage of income do you think rich people should be allowed to keep ???
    Yes corporate folks and their lobbyists have done some crappy things to the American people through politicians..Good point...
    "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"......Welllllllll not quite true....Its not the power that corrupts, its the People that have the absolute power that become corrupted......The Supreme court has absolute power in interpreting the law. Are they corrupted ???  I am giving them a pass in their non corruption abilities.
    .........Kudos to you on the news being dumbed down Thumbs Up.....
    Uncontrolled wealth is not the problem.....its UNCONTROLLED ELECTED OFFICIALS AND JUDGES who allow the wealthy to influence them with promises of financial gain.  The elected officials are there to represent us as a whole, but have changed into representing the few.....If they were the ones who were not corruptible and could say "no" to the wealthy, then you would not worry about corruption..... While money maybe the root of most of the evil.....It takes a person to say yes to become part of THAT evil....
                I will bet that most of the lottery winners of PB & MM jackpots are people who DON'T need to be checked. Which leads to my final thought. Policies that lead to my destruction ?? Or benefit only the rich as the poll states????....As long as they pay their fair legal share minus legal deductions who  cares ?  I don't have any interest on how much Warren Buffet or Bill Gates makes. As long as the legal opportunity remains for me to make thousands or millions, then I have no problem with unchecked wealth. Our government can't live on the wealth(aka budget) they have now, but you believe that the people need to have their wealth checked ??...Interesting
           Because in the scheme of life its nobody's business but mine and the IRS' on how much I am allowed to "take home". IF You want controlled earnings, then I would suggest a possible move to China....Just MHO on the issue...Thanks

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 2, 2012, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I isn't about controlling how much they are allowed to make. It is more about when a man or woman put in a good day of work, that they take home enough money to support themselves, their family, church, and community. This country wasn't and never could sustain itself with the income gap that you see in this chart from the CBO.

This is dangerous, the more power left in corporate hands, the harder it will become to go back to a more balanced economy. The reason why is because their lobbyist with the aid of local and federal legislatures will pass laws to make it difficult to counter their power.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. An example is the designed - dumbing down of local news so we can't fully understand the issues that we must understand. Voter suppression.

We applaud wealth, but uncontrolled wealth without checks is dangerous for all parties and democracy. That is why I asked the question; while waiting to win the lottery, should we vote for policies that will lead to your own destruction?

Why can't libs ever answer a direct question?

You said the rich get too much of the income in this country.

I asked how much of their income they should be allowed to keep.

I'll ask again.

How much of their income should they be allowed to keep?

No more gobbledy-gook please.

No more moveon.org talking points.

No more charts and graphs.

Just give me a percentage.

Oh, and one more thing...

You said: "...uncontrolled wealth without checks is dangerous..."

Really?

I just can't imagine who you would want to do the checks on all that "uncontrolled wealth," comrade.

Shouldn't you be in downtown Seattle breaking windows about now?

Or trying to blow up bridges in Ohio?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: May 2, 2012, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Why can't libs ever answer a direct question?

You said the rich get too much of the income in this country.

I asked how much of their income they should be allowed to keep.

I'll ask again.

How much of their income should they be allowed to keep?

No more gobbledy-gook please.

No more moveon.org talking points.

No more charts and graphs.

Just give me a percentage.

Oh, and one more thing...

You said: "...uncontrolled wealth without checks is dangerous..."

Really?

I just can't imagine who you would want to do the checks on all that "uncontrolled wealth," comrade.

Shouldn't you be in downtown Seattle breaking windows about now?

Or trying to blow up bridges in Ohio?

"I just can't imagine who you would want to do the checks on all that "uncontrolled wealth," comrade."

When they said "while waiting to win the lottery" it sounded like when people bring their lawn chairs and sleeping bags waiting for their turn to buy a ticket to a rock concert. I didn't know there was a line forming where everybody gets a turn at winning a lottery jackpot.

Sounds more like what the party bosses in the Soviet block countries told the people standing in the bread lines.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: May 2, 2012, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

"I just can't imagine who you would want to do the checks on all that "uncontrolled wealth," comrade."

When they said "while waiting to win the lottery" it sounded like when people bring their lawn chairs and sleeping bags waiting for their turn to buy a ticket to a rock concert. I didn't know there was a line forming where everybody gets a turn at winning a lottery jackpot.

Sounds more like what the party bosses in the Soviet block countries told the people standing in the bread lines.

Exactly.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 2, 2012, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Code word for lib: Anyone who takes away the attention from our little cry baby barbie.  Crying

You can't make it in the real world, so  you compensate by living out your 3rd grade fantasies as the virtual girl man you never could be.  Hippy

It's alright barbie, you never have anything constructive to say about lottery discussions, and contribute and spew nothing but hate, but

that's well understood by all here. So just scoot right back  into your over sized chair, and start pretending all over again.   Naughty

Holy Moly! It's McDoofus!

Yap, yap, yappin' as usual, like an old woman.

Let's see now, numbnuts...

You said to me: "You can't make it in the real world..."

Hmmm... Let's see, I'm living in a two story custom built log home on a very large tract of my own land and you're a renter, living in a cheap, dumpy apartment building. 

So who was it again who can't make it in the real world?

Who's in their late 50's and still renting?

Yeah, Doofus, you're a real mover and a shaker.

Still cleaning houses?   LOL

--Edmund Burke

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: May 3, 2012, 6:52 am - IP Logged

Holy Moly! It's McDoofus!

Yap, yap, yappin' as usual, like an old woman.

Let's see now, numbnuts...

You said to me: "You can't make it in the real world..."

Hmmm... Let's see, I'm living in a two story custom built log home on a very large tract of my own land and you're a renter, living in a cheap, dumpy apartment building. 

So who was it again who can't make it in the real world?

Who's in their late 50's and still renting?

Yeah, Doofus, you're a real mover and a shaker.

Still cleaning houses?   LOL

Don't confuse yourself to much barbie doll  Crazy,  never said you couldn't afford to live in your cute log cabin, just your unable to make it in this world

with your peers.  Group Hug People can't accept your force fed one sided lib frenzied, my way or the highway philosophy. You just cant bear the thought

of listening and critiquing other peoples point of view, so you resort to bashing those who threaten your fragile ego as a virtual bully.    Bat

I see you've been checking out my profile, and yes I have built a commercial cleaning service from scratch over 16 years ago, and currently

employ 16 full time people. As many of my competitors are out of business with this crappy economy, at least I can say I'm helping people

to put food on the table and moving this country in a better direction. I don't have to toot my own horn barbie, but I own an upscale townhouse

and trade in my Mercedes every two years, and work only if I want to.

Yeah in my 50's and still run marathons and do 200 mile bike tours. If we ever have the "pleasure" to meet, why don't we take in a local 5K

if your up to it old man?   Banana I'll bet you $10,00.00 I'd smoke your fat ass. That is if you can still "move it and shake it"

smooth11484's avatar - Lottery-053.jpg
                ohio
                United States
                Member #125198
                March 26, 2012
                1908 Posts
                Posted: May 3, 2012, 7:04 am - IP Logged

Actually Smooth11484, I am suffering from SOME of those facts.....jacking up the national debt affects all of us, paying more taxes for frivolous spending and I am not talking about JUST THE INCOME TAX either, all taxes and insurances have increased.....I don't know about you but i CANT spend my way out of debt....I am open to sound advice on how a country can do that.....You don't think having fuel prices at 3.75 -4+ dollars a gallon doesnt effect food prices  ???   Heres another one for ya, the housing market has taken such a major dump here in central FL, that I had to take 70K out of savings to sell my house, that dropped 33 %  in 3 years....Guess I could have been a slug and said its not my fault and I shouldnt have to pay but I signed my name on the line and took responsibility for my purchases and obligations...... I checked the other day and the place now is currently valued at 17% below what it cost to build brand new in 2004...building materials and labor hasn't gone down 17% below 2004 wages last I checked.....so in answer to your question, The country and people in it are suffering, maybe not everyone  from each of the list of 25, but a majority are from at least a few of those statements.

enough said, you win, i want to move to florida to, with in the next 15 months. in the northen part i have famly in florida. but im in ohio now and the housing is bad here to

ohio
                  United States
                  Member #125198
                  March 26, 2012
                  1908 Posts
                  Posted: May 3, 2012, 7:13 am - IP Logged

What would he do with "YOUR" winnings?  He and his father did gamble, they gambled on the goodness of man.

wrong answer. smart one. how are you comparing "my" winnings that "would" be concrete, to gambling on the goodness of man? which is an imgainary pharse you made up "goodness of man" where is that in his word?? so before you insult my intelligence (not saying that i am) but please do not be pretentious .

im not trying to start a arguement im trying to hit a number.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                    East of Columbus, OH
                    United States
                    Member #120843
                    December 28, 2011
                    451 Posts
                    Posted: May 3, 2012, 8:35 am - IP Logged

Should you vote for and support policies that benefit only the rich as you wait to win the lottery?

I love this poll question!  Talk about straight out of the 'Occupy' crowd.  I voted "YES" because I have never worked for a poor person.  I like rich people.  The 1% pay the vast majority of the taxes.  I strive to make more money every year.  Who doesn't? 

It's average people that get the work of this country done every year and most of them are working for someone with some wealth.  All the hourly employees working for construction companies, trucking companies, oil companies, natural gas suppliers, and many other businesses keep this country going for the wealthy business owners that took the chance and started the business.

So, Occupy-er.  Stop f******g whining and go get a job!  You tools make me sick.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                      TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: May 3, 2012, 8:43 am - IP Logged

enough said, you win, i want to move to florida to, with in the next 15 months. in the northen part i have famly in florida. but im in ohio now and the housing is bad here to

Smooth....I don't know if moving down  here is a good idea or not, unless you are retiring. Thumbs Up...Don't plan on finding an abundancy of jobs that pay well...But on the bright side, we sure have lots of lottery games and scratch offs to play and lots of hot days between MAY and OCT(plus a few other benefits) !!!Banana

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        12118 Posts
                        Posted: May 3, 2012, 8:44 am - IP Logged

"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's."

Narrative

"The synoptic gospels state that hostile questioners tried to trap Jesus into taking an explicit and dangerous stand on whether Jews should or should not pay taxes to the Roman authorities. The accounts in Matthew and Mark say that the questioners were Pharisees and Herodians, while Luke says only that they were "spies" sent by "teachers of the law and the chief priests".

They anticipated that Jesus would oppose the tax, as their purpose was "to hand him over to the power and authority of the governor" (Luke 20:20). The governor was Pilate, and he was the man responsible for the collecting of taxes in Roman Judea. At first the questioners flattered Jesus by praising his integrity, impartiality, and devotion to truth. Then they asked him whether or not it is right for Jews to pay the taxes demanded by Caesar. In the Gospel of Mark (12:15) the additional, provocative question is asked, "Should we pay or shouldn't we?" Jesus first called them hypocrites, and then asked one of them to produce a Roman coin that would be suitable for paying Caesar's tax. One of them showed him a Roman coin, and he asked them whose name and inscription were on it. They answered, "Caesar's," and he responded"

"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_unto_Caesar...

I like rich people too because I believe in capitalism. I am not rich but I do like envious individuals. The occupy wall street movement is full of it. I wish more prosperity for all rich people.

US Flag

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                          East of Columbus, OH
                          United States
                          Member #120843
                          December 28, 2011
                          451 Posts
                          Posted: May 3, 2012, 8:47 am - IP Logged

I like rich people too because I believe in capitalism. I am not rich but I do like envious individuals. The occupy wall street movement is full of it. I wish more prosperity for all rich people.

Well said Thrifty!  Thumbs Up

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

NEW YORK
                            United States
                            Member #90535
                            April 29, 2010
                            12118 Posts
                            Posted: May 3, 2012, 9:33 am - IP Logged

What is best for the country?   What would Jesus do with your winnings? 

The Virtue of Selfishness (Signet) by Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden (Nov 1, 1964) .

Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal by Ayn Rand, Nathaniel Branden, Alan Greenspan and Robert Hessen (Jul 15, 1986).

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and Leonard Peikoff (Aug 1, 1999).

US Flag

ohio
                              United States
                              Member #125198
                              March 26, 2012
                              1908 Posts
                              Posted: May 3, 2012, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Smooth....I don't know if moving down  here is a good idea or not, unless you are retiring. Thumbs Up...Don't plan on finding an abundancy of jobs that pay well...But on the bright side, we sure have lots of lottery games and scratch offs to play and lots of hot days between MAY and OCT(plus a few other benefits) !!!Banana

i am finishing up my rn degree, and i am currently a childcare provider threough the state, so i will always have a job. i want to move because its time for a change thats all

Page 8 of 27