Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 10:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Waiting for Wealth

Topic closed. 404 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 10 of 27
PrintE-mailLink

Should you vote for and support policies that benefit only the rich as you wait to win the lottery?

Yes [ 10 ]  [18.52%]
No [ 44 ]  [81.48%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
New Jersey
United States
Member #99032
October 18, 2010
1439 Posts
Posted: May 4, 2012, 2:10 am - IP Logged

This right here is the difference between the left and the right.  People on the right wish for "more prosperity for all rich people".  People on the left wish for prosperity for EVERYONE.

Trickle-down economics didn't work under Reagan and they're not going to work now, no matter what fancy name they try to give it.

I feel like I shouldn't respond to this but I am going to dispite my hesitance.

You can say whatever BS you want about people on the left wishing prosperity for everyone, while people on the right only want it for the rich, but you know that's not true.  I know of many right wingers who consistantly volunteer to help the poor, and support charitable organizations.  The difference for many of us is whether we are forced to fund programs being run by the government, or whether charity should be voluntary action.

The main two problems with the Reaganomics model was the artificially low interest rates (causing inflation, and along with it, an expansion of the credit supply and higher prices) and the deficit spending.  These two problems have gotten significantly worse.

The problem with the left, is that they don't understand where prosperity comes from.  Along with huge portions of the right, the left's economic models are based on the view that sectors of the economy are constantly clashing and central planners (Fed. Bank and to a degree, Congress) need to correct for this by funneling credit into sectors, spurring growth.  The growth does occur, but eventually it crashes back down.

This was also very close to the Reagonomic model, but just keep in mind that Obama's policies are Reagonmics on steroids.

The only difference is that as far Reagan's rhetoric and idealogy was actually rooted in free market principles.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    Lavender Rocket

United States
    Member #124616
    March 16, 2012
    2642 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2012, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

I feel like I shouldn't respond to this but I am going to dispite my hesitance.

You can say whatever BS you want about people on the left wishing prosperity for everyone, while people on the right only want it for the rich, but you know that's not true.  I know of many right wingers who consistantly volunteer to help the poor, and support charitable organizations.  The difference for many of us is whether we are forced to fund programs being run by the government, or whether charity should be voluntary action.

The main two problems with the Reaganomics model was the artificially low interest rates (causing inflation, and along with it, an expansion of the credit supply and higher prices) and the deficit spending.  These two problems have gotten significantly worse.

The problem with the left, is that they don't understand where prosperity comes from.  Along with huge portions of the right, the left's economic models are based on the view that sectors of the economy are constantly clashing and central planners (Fed. Bank and to a degree, Congress) need to correct for this by funneling credit into sectors, spurring growth.  The growth does occur, but eventually it crashes back down.

This was also very close to the Reagonomic model, but just keep in mind that Obama's policies are Reagonmics on steroids.

The only difference is that as far Reagan's rhetoric and idealogy was actually rooted in free market principles.

Boney526... very nicely done! 

I wonder - after reading your post - how many 'failed' lottery winners were left-listing/leaning... the statement of not knowing where prosperity comes from could also - seemingly effortlessly - translate into not knowing how to MAINTAIN that same prosperity/winfall/wealth.

If you dont understand the beast, its easy to have it get away from ya.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
      United States
      Member #110060
      April 25, 2011
      115 Posts
      Posted: May 4, 2012, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Don't know how I missed this the first time around, but googler you just reciting things you've heard and somehow have managed to put a weird ass spin on things.

First of all, why are you sitting around waiting to win the lottery ?

You'll waste your life away if your sitting around waiting for something that probably won't happen.

Take the bull by the horns and make something happen, the fact that your on the internet and have a computor tells me , your supporting the very rich you feel the need to condemn,

Since your waiting for your lottery winfall, tell me, will you give it all away to the needy? Then whats the point of sitting around waiting to get rich ?

no, you have what's called class envy, your complaining about the very thing you want to become, rich.

well, let me tell you this little man, most self made millionaires made their money with a dream, an idea and hard work. They didn't sit around waiting.

Get off your lazy ass and make a life for yourself, and hellllllllllll no, I won't vote for people who will take my <snip> away and just give it to you.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Sorry Sully, the operative word isn't about waiting. The question is simply asking should we support policies that don't benefit us today, but in preparation for the day that you become wealthy. What kind of country do we want?

Virginia Beach, Virginia
        United States
        Member #110060
        April 25, 2011
        115 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2012, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Sorry Sully, the operative word isn't about waiting. The question is simply asking should we support policies that don't benefit us today, but in preparation for the day that you become wealthy. What kind of country do we want?

I was attempting to void being overly political when I wrote the initial question. The core question is simply, "Should we vote against our current interest?"

The off topic stuff was very funny pfffffffffffffffttt!!!    Thanks

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          42221 Posts
          Posted: May 4, 2012, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Googler, it's not about supporting policies, it's voting for people who have our best interest at heart, and somehow , We are not seeing a lot of our best interest.

Do I know what to do if , i win the lottery, yes I do, laws and politics have nothing to do with my ultimate decisions, as far as wealth, thats something we starting building way back when we were in our 20's.

We met, fell in love, got married, we saved up bought our first house, we didn't start with a full compliment of furniture and kitchenware, we had 2 lawn chairs an airmattress and a 6 pack.

We bought a home we could afford and didn't rack up credit card debt filling it full of stuff, it took us time, now after 30 years I got so much junk, I can't remember how we got it or even why we need it. My point is we lived within our means, we never failed to put money into the savings or our retirement accounts, we didn't drive fancy cars, My husbands company makes parts for Ford, so we drive fords, we support the hand that feeds us.( thats what welfare does, makes people support the hand that feeds them.)

we didn't have kid after kid, I had my son when I was 38, so we were lucky to be financially set. Most of my brothers and sisters just kept having them, they were always broke, they still are, we knew when we were in our 20's we did not want to be broke in our 50 or 60's. Most people don't want to think that far ahead, they spend and borrow for today with no thought for tomarrow.

We are not rich, and we still have to work, but we won't go hungry if we lose our jobs, I do have the luxury of working only part time, In short, thats how we built our wealth, planning, saving and making good choices, believe it or not, thats the way our Grand parents thought.

What kind of country do I want....A country where I am free to make my own choices and yes, one where I can make my own mistakes, and hopefully learn from them, and I have made many, I want to live in a country where I am not afraid of the people we elect to run it.

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2012, 12:13 am - IP Logged

This right here is the difference between the left and the right.  People on the right wish for "more prosperity for all rich people".  People on the left wish for prosperity for EVERYONE.

Trickle-down economics didn't work under Reagan and they're not going to work now, no matter what fancy name they try to give it.

Who's keeping you from prosperity?

This is the land of opportunity!

If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere!

Are you too stupid or just too lazy?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7344 Posts
              Posted: May 5, 2012, 9:11 am - IP Logged

"but in preparation for the day that you become wealthy."

Then your question should have been "should we support policies that help us to become wealthy". There is commercial with people holding signs with "their number" meaning the amount of money they need to retire. The idea is to invest their money with a firm and they will reach their goal. Four years ago we found out that many Wall Street firms lost the money people were investing. The same polices that helped some people become wealthy also set up the scenario where some other people lost lots of money.

This is a lottery discussion and you still haven't come close to explaining anything even closely related to the lotteries.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
                United States
                Member #110060
                April 25, 2011
                115 Posts
                Posted: May 5, 2012, 11:57 am - IP Logged

Googler, it's not about supporting policies, it's voting for people who have our best interest at heart, and somehow , We are not seeing a lot of our best interest.

Do I know what to do if , i win the lottery, yes I do, laws and politics have nothing to do with my ultimate decisions, as far as wealth, thats something we starting building way back when we were in our 20's.

We met, fell in love, got married, we saved up bought our first house, we didn't start with a full compliment of furniture and kitchenware, we had 2 lawn chairs an airmattress and a 6 pack.

We bought a home we could afford and didn't rack up credit card debt filling it full of stuff, it took us time, now after 30 years I got so much junk, I can't remember how we got it or even why we need it. My point is we lived within our means, we never failed to put money into the savings or our retirement accounts, we didn't drive fancy cars, My husbands company makes parts for Ford, so we drive fords, we support the hand that feeds us.( thats what welfare does, makes people support the hand that feeds them.)

we didn't have kid after kid, I had my son when I was 38, so we were lucky to be financially set. Most of my brothers and sisters just kept having them, they were always broke, they still are, we knew when we were in our 20's we did not want to be broke in our 50 or 60's. Most people don't want to think that far ahead, they spend and borrow for today with no thought for tomarrow.

We are not rich, and we still have to work, but we won't go hungry if we lose our jobs, I do have the luxury of working only part time, In short, thats how we built our wealth, planning, saving and making good choices, believe it or not, thats the way our Grand parents thought.

What kind of country do I want....A country where I am free to make my own choices and yes, one where I can make my own mistakes, and hopefully learn from them, and I have made many, I want to live in a country where I am not afraid of the people we elect to run it.

Sully, it would be a far better country if we all lived similar lives. Finance and family life courses are needed in high school.

I avoided the word "people/politician" and just used the policies to avoid the need to be political. If we could just look at policies that impact our lives, maybe we could make wiser decisions when electing our leaders.

As long as our elected officials have to beg for money from wealthy people, the average citizen will never become their first priority. As long as gerrymandering exist and the election has been already decided, our interest will not be served.

As long as we support policies that benefit only the wealthy, in hopes that we will soon be part of the 1% or 5%, our nation will suffer. In my mind, it comes down to what is more important, greed or country.

Examples are people that don't support an efficient health care system, but they have no health insurance. Some were told that it is unconstitutional, but when you are in extreme pain, the constitution is the last thing on your mind. Reducing the number of teachers and police officers are necessary to balance the federal deficit, really?!!

When we talk to each other and our leader we must know what is behind the curtain and who is really pulling their strings. You can be sure of one thing, if we don't act in mass, we will have no strings to pull.

To get the kind of country that you desire, we need to stop the hate, which I believe is created by the media by the wealthy. I have zero problem with wealth, but we must see how much control they are taking in every aspect of our lives. There is a point of no return. Let us begin to think with clear heads before we reach that point.

So, I ask again, while we build our wealth, should we support politicians and policies that overwhelming support the wealthy, at the expense of ourselves, family and nation?

Our jobs, lives and nation rest on our answer to this question. There is no need for a reply. Just be good citizens, participate in community life and vote in every election.    Peace & Chicken Grease

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                  Lavender Rocket

United States
                  Member #124616
                  March 16, 2012
                  2642 Posts
                  Posted: May 5, 2012, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

Sully, it would be a far better country if we all lived similar lives. Finance and family life courses are needed in high school.

I avoided the word "people/politician" and just used the policies to avoid the need to be political. If we could just look at policies that impact our lives, maybe we could make wiser decisions when electing our leaders.

As long as our elected officials have to beg for money from wealthy people, the average citizen will never become their first priority. As long as gerrymandering exist and the election has been already decided, our interest will not be served.

As long as we support policies that benefit only the wealthy, in hopes that we will soon be part of the 1% or 5%, our nation will suffer. In my mind, it comes down to what is more important, greed or country.

Examples are people that don't support an efficient health care system, but they have no health insurance. Some were told that it is unconstitutional, but when you are in extreme pain, the constitution is the last thing on your mind. Reducing the number of teachers and police officers are necessary to balance the federal deficit, really?!!

When we talk to each other and our leader we must know what is behind the curtain and who is really pulling their strings. You can be sure of one thing, if we don't act in mass, we will have no strings to pull.

To get the kind of country that you desire, we need to stop the hate, which I believe is created by the media by the wealthy. I have zero problem with wealth, but we must see how much control they are taking in every aspect of our lives. There is a point of no return. Let us begin to think with clear heads before we reach that point.

So, I ask again, while we build our wealth, should we support politicians and policies that overwhelming support the wealthy, at the expense of ourselves, family and nation?

Our jobs, lives and nation rest on our answer to this question. There is no need for a reply. Just be good citizens, participate in community life and vote in every election.    Peace & Chicken Grease

Googler - if we all lived similar lives?  that would only happen if we all make similar choices, and that is never going to happen.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 5, 2012, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

"...it would be a far better country if we all lived similar lives."

Yeah, that's what Lenin and Marx and Mao said. It's called Communism.

Unfortunately, as has been proven over and over and over, it just doesn't work.

It's time to accept that fact.

"...we need to stop the hate, which I believe is created by the media by the wealthy."

You're half right on this one.

The hate has been created by The White House with the full cooperation of the fawning mainstream news media.

They've turned us against each other with phony class warfare.

It's an old British Empire strategy called Divide and Conquer.

"...but when you are in extreme pain, the constitution is the last thing on your mind."

If you are in extreme pain and go to an emergency room you will be treated no matter if you have insurance or not.

And if you can't pay, it won't cost you a nickel.

Beyond that, if you like the idea of the government paying your medical expenses, remember what Obama said about older people needing expensive surgery or expensive medication to live. He said that maybe they'd be better off just taking a pain pill and getting out of the way. Remember your family members when you agree to that. When they decide to cut healthcare costs, older people will pay with their lives.

"...should we support politicians and policies that overwhelming support the wealthy, at the expense of ourselves, family and nation?"

LOL, and you keep saying how you don't want to get political.

Yeah, I'm convinced.

You're not taking sides at all.

It's so plain to see.

I don't read the leftwing-loon hate-sites anymore because they're so ridiculously untrue, hateful, banal, insipid and redundant, that I just can't endure the assault on the intellect anymore. But from my prior experience reading them, your post sounds eerily like rote from their talking points.

And I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.   

--Edmund Burke

United States
                      Member #124493
                      March 14, 2012
                      7023 Posts
                      Posted: May 6, 2012, 4:51 am - IP Logged

"...we need to stop the hate, which I believe is created by the media by the wealthy."

You're half right on this one.

The hate has been created by The White House with the full cooperation of the fawning mainstream news media.

They've turned us against each other with phony class warfare.

It's an old British Empire strategy called Divide and Conquer.

"...but when you are in extreme pain, the constitution is the last thing on your mind."

If you are in extreme pain and go to an emergency room you will be treated no matter if you have insurance or not.

And if you can't pay, it won't cost you a nickel.

Beyond that, if you like the idea of the government paying your medical expenses, remember what Obama said about older people needing expensive surgery or expensive medication to live. He said that maybe they'd be better off just taking a pain pill and getting out of the way. Remember your family members when you agree to that. When they decide to cut healthcare costs, older people will pay with their lives.

"...should we support politicians and policies that overwhelming support the wealthy, at the expense of ourselves, family and nation?"

LOL, and you keep saying how you don't want to get political.

Yeah, I'm convinced.

You're not taking sides at all.

It's so plain to see.

I don't read the leftwing-loon hate-sites anymore because they're so ridiculously untrue, hateful, banal, insipid and redundant, that I just can't endure the assault on the intellect anymore. But from my prior experience reading them, your post sounds eerily like rote from their talking points.

And I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.   

human beings can be so petty...

all you have to do is watch John Carpenters "They Live" and that will explain it all...

we are just pawns...just cattle...we are nothing...and we mean nothing...we are slaves...our liveS our incidental.

Without spirit and enthusiasm...we all will be in hell for a long time...

human being have been tricked into killing other human beings since time immemorial...

it is not logical for one human to kill another human being for no reason...but terrorism...or patriotism...or communism...or facism...or racism...is made by "the media" to be a valid excuse to REDRUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UMM ridge...were you there to hear it face to face???  Lenin and Marx and Mao were not communists, although thats what their deluded minds would like to believe....THEY WERE FACISTS...RACISTS..HOMOPHOBES...PSYCHOTICS...MEGALOMANIACAS..SOCIOPATHS......they might as all well been from another planet.

COMMUNISM comes from the word communal...if you cant see a word thats been co-opted...then you better get and win the lottery fast.

As a matter of fact i think you been drinking too much of that Kentucky Bourbon...play these numbers...you need a win to sober you up...

1  3  15  29  32

Virginia Beach, Virginia
                        United States
                        Member #110060
                        April 25, 2011
                        115 Posts
                        Posted: May 6, 2012, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Yes, you are correct, but just imagine how powerful and efficient a nation would become if 90% of the population worked in every aspect of their lives to benefit themselves and the nation.

I'm just saying.....

Virginia Beach, Virginia
                          United States
                          Member #110060
                          April 25, 2011
                          115 Posts
                          Posted: May 6, 2012, 8:42 am - IP Logged

rdgrnr, I do have a point of view and I have tried to express it without blinding folks into taking sides.

It is our desire to solve some very apparent problems. We need to stop taking political sides, look at what has worked in the past and get to work.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: May 6, 2012, 10:21 am - IP Logged

rdgrnr, I do have a point of view and I have tried to express it without blinding folks into taking sides.

It is our desire to solve some very apparent problems. We need to stop taking political sides, look at what has worked in the past and get to work.

Googler,

If you think your "point of view" doesn't plant you firmly on one side, you're sorely mistaken.

Given that fact, your admonition to "stop taking political sides" is incredible.

Feigning neutrality, long a ploy of the left, is not your strong suit.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: May 6, 2012, 11:07 am - IP Logged

human beings can be so petty...

all you have to do is watch John Carpenters "They Live" and that will explain it all...

we are just pawns...just cattle...we are nothing...and we mean nothing...we are slaves...our liveS our incidental.

Without spirit and enthusiasm...we all will be in hell for a long time...

human being have been tricked into killing other human beings since time immemorial...

it is not logical for one human to kill another human being for no reason...but terrorism...or patriotism...or communism...or facism...or racism...is made by "the media" to be a valid excuse to REDRUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UMM ridge...were you there to hear it face to face???  Lenin and Marx and Mao were not communists, although thats what their deluded minds would like to believe....THEY WERE FACISTS...RACISTS..HOMOPHOBES...PSYCHOTICS...MEGALOMANIACAS..SOCIOPATHS......they might as all well been from another planet.

COMMUNISM comes from the word communal...if you cant see a word thats been co-opted...then you better get and win the lottery fast.

As a matter of fact i think you been drinking too much of that Kentucky Bourbon...play these numbers...you need a win to sober you up...

1  3  15  29  32

I don't watch too many movies and I don't think I'll be getting "They Live" to "explain it all" (life?) for me. No offense.

And I'm not a slave and I'm not without God-given spirit and enthusiasm and I've never been tricked into killing anybody. That's all liberal BS and propaganda.

And you can quibble about and debate semantics and 'isms' all day (not with me, thank you) but it doesn't change anything. Learned scholars smarter than you and I still argue about whether fascism is far right or far left and in the grand scheme of things, who the hell cares? 

What matters is the bottom line. Put those 'isms' together or separate and they just don't work, period. Communism, your apparent favorite, kills drive, ambition, innovation and takes away the impetus to excel. It kills the human spirit. It just doesn't work, but the leftwing-loon nanny-staters keep wanting to try it one more time. Well I say fine, go to Cuba or North Korea and try it out for a while first to make sure you like it and then get back to us on that.

There's a natural evolution and transition to despotic totalitarianism inherent in Communism, and in a lefty's heart of hearts, that's exactly what he really wants anyway. Total nanny state, total domination, total emasculated devotion to a centralized authority, ideally ruled by a charismatic nutjob. Ahh, leftwing nirvana...

And I don't drink Bourbon.

I drink Tennessee Whiskey.

Jack Daniels, if you please.

--Edmund Burke

Page 10 of 27