Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Waiting for Wealth

Topic closed. 404 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 15 of 27
PrintE-mailLink

Should you vote for and support policies that benefit only the rich as you wait to win the lottery?

Yes [ 10 ]  [18.52%]
No [ 44 ]  [81.48%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
New Jersey
United States
Member #99032
October 18, 2010
1439 Posts
Posted: May 8, 2012, 2:03 am - IP Logged

"The President doesn't tank the economy."

Tell that to all of the right-wing wackos on this site -- ridge, dpoly, Cletus and all the rest -- who blame EVERYTHING on Obama EVERY CHANCE THEY GET.  Your labeling of me as ignorant while you give them a free pass shows your own ignorance.

And as for you, Barbie, I see you're well into your nightly intoxication ritual.  Do try not to spill any on the keyboard, mmkay?

I don't give them a free pass.  I do criticize them when I think they are wrong.

Obama has done a terrible job.  He doesn't understand the importance of Constitutional Law or Budgeting.  He's certainly not helping the economy.  But dispite his terrible policies, the economy is still growing, even at a lower rate.

See what you missed about my statement is what does harm the economy.  You can blame Bush as much as you want, but he is just one of many who overstepped his bounds.  So no, maybe McCain wouldn't be much better, but Obama is plenty terrible.

I labeled you as ignorant because you made an ignorant claim about Bush tanking the economy.  If you haven't studied economics, (I'm assuming you haven't) then your claims about what hurt the economy are based in ignorance.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
    upstate NY
    United States
    Member #108791
    March 31, 2011
    549 Posts
    Posted: May 8, 2012, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I don't give them a free pass.  I do criticize them when I think they are wrong.

Obama has done a terrible job.  He doesn't understand the importance of Constitutional Law or Budgeting.  He's certainly not helping the economy.  But dispite his terrible policies, the economy is still growing, even at a lower rate.

See what you missed about my statement is what does harm the economy.  You can blame Bush as much as you want, but he is just one of many who overstepped his bounds.  So no, maybe McCain wouldn't be much better, but Obama is plenty terrible.

I labeled you as ignorant because you made an ignorant claim about Bush tanking the economy.  If you haven't studied economics, (I'm assuming you haven't) then your claims about what hurt the economy are based in ignorance.

Just because I said that McCain wouldn't have done any better does not mean I think Obama has been perfect.  He has made his mistakes, to be sure, but to hear the right-wingers tell it, his biggest failing is that he hasn't been able to snap his fingers and magically solve all of our problems.  The idea that anyone short of God himself could have reversed the damage that had already been done when Obama assumed office a little more than 3 years ago is laughable.  The idea that the best route to reversing that damage and to prosperity for all is to let a select few walk off with all of the money is frightening.

I'm still waiting for you to label the usual Obama-blamers as ignorant.  Unless you have reason to believe (or, better yet, proof) that they're all economics majors?

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
      East of Columbus, OH
      United States
      Member #120843
      December 28, 2011
      451 Posts
      Posted: May 8, 2012, 3:45 am - IP Logged

I am the middle class Googler, you know who is starving me, not the rich, not my employer, but the government that thinks it can create equalty by taxing me into supporting the poor,

Get this and get this straight, if your poor or uneducated in this country it your own fault!!!!!!!!

Free education from k-12, more knowledge than any generation before us, and if you can't live the Kardashian lifestyle, tough !!!!

Nobody and I mean nobody in business is trying to create poor people, it's not very good business to lose customers to poverty.

Do you really think Trump and Gates get up in the morning and try to figure out to leave people with nothing? no, they want others to thrive , so they thrive.

Now most of the so-called poverty stricken people I see, you know the ones that drive expensive cars, most of these people never gave a thought to their own future, most certainly not to their children, they make bad life choices and pay not attention to their financial well being.

Now if these so-called poor people gave a rats behind, they would be screaming for jobs, not health care and welfare, what they want is free, plain and simple,if they got free medicine and food, why work, why put any effort into earning a life for themselves.

Are there people who just got dealt a bad hand, sure there are, but in this day and age, the information and connections are there to help.

If you can't earn the wage you want , then your not qualified, plain and simple.

Equality does not mean free and easy.

Many of these people need to turn the stupid reality tv off, and except their lot in life or get busy making it better, and NOT BY FORCED GOVERNMENT LAWS.

Great post sully!

I, too, am in the middle class.  Somehow I'm supposed to pay more taxes than over 40% of the population that pays no taxes and I'm supposed to be happy about it?!?!

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: May 8, 2012, 6:17 am - IP Logged

Just because I said that McCain wouldn't have done any better does not mean I think Obama has been perfect.  He has made his mistakes, to be sure, but to hear the right-wingers tell it, his biggest failing is that he hasn't been able to snap his fingers and magically solve all of our problems.  The idea that anyone short of God himself could have reversed the damage that had already been done when Obama assumed office a little more than 3 years ago is laughable.  The idea that the best route to reversing that damage and to prosperity for all is to let a select few walk off with all of the money is frightening.

I'm still waiting for you to label the usual Obama-blamers as ignorant.  Unless you have reason to believe (or, better yet, proof) that they're all economics majors?

"I'm still waiting for you to label the usual Obama- blamers as ignorant"

Your going to have a long wait mb. How's that go again?.......... oh yeah.......until hell freezes over.   ROFL

Virginia Beach, Virginia
          United States
          Member #110060
          April 25, 2011
          115 Posts
          Posted: May 8, 2012, 8:23 am - IP Logged

Millions of jobs lost! Millions of homes lost! We were lied to, our children have been killed in an unnecessary war. Our country was saved from a depression. Our car industry was almost lost. Retirements ruined. People were left sleeping in their cars and on the streets. The cat died.

Some sing the same old song with blinded eyes. At least the majority of the people in this poll voted to bring balance to the distribution of wealth.

Hopefully,  Americans will make the wise choices and elect people that will protect the hard working poor and middle class.

Stop voting against your interest. Stop being puppets for big business and the 1%. They have captured the media, have they snatched your brain and body. Pray that it isn't true. Look deep within yourselves. Don't be attacked by The Body Snatchers.                       

Use your lottery winnings wisely!    Let's make money, not hate.

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40566 Posts
            Posted: May 8, 2012, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Millions of jobs lost! Millions of homes lost! We were lied to, our children have been killed in an unnecessary war. Our country was saved from a depression. Our car industry was almost lost. Retirements ruined. People were left sleeping in their cars and on the streets. The cat died.

Some sing the same old song with blinded eyes. At least the majority of the people in this poll voted to bring balance to the distribution of wealth.

Hopefully,  Americans will make the wise choices and elect people that will protect the hard working poor and middle class.

Stop voting against your interest. Stop being puppets for big business and the 1%. They have captured the media, have they snatched your brain and body. Pray that it isn't true. Look deep within yourselves. Don't be attacked by The Body Snatchers.                       

You never cease to amaze me, Millions lost their jobs, yep and most refused a lower paying job because unemployment paid more, well, good ol bama used tax payer money to bail these people out by giving them an extension, an extension they abused, and while we had millions with extensions, they still refused to look for work, in the mean time, more businesses went under because there was no cash flow, no customers, small business was hit the hardest, big business downsized.

Million lost their homes, most of those were the sub-prime loans, people who had no business owning a home to begin with, Do you know what sub-prime means?

People with poor credit and lower income, Did the banks and mortgage companies take advatage of these people, well, yes and no, they were under pressure to give these loans, by some unions, SEIU Comes to mind right off the bat.

They were screaming, equal and fair, your discriminatiing agaist people give them a loan.

Now because I know many who have lost their homes, let me tell you this, they were living High on the hog, didn't put money away for such an event as illness or job loss. Didn't get rid of the cable and internet, didn't get a more affordable car, didn't stop with the shopping sprees and trips to cedar point.

Then these morons had the audacity to blame the bank, really, no one told you to live beyond your means, no one told you to take an equity loan out to pay your credit cards.

The bank loaned you the money, that means you have to pay it back or lose your home, you signed on the dotted line, that was the agrrement.

Side note, anyone and I mean anyone, who takes equity out of their home to pay other debt is a moron, plain and simple.

Home loans are secured debt, credit cards are not.

You don't blame the dentist if you get a cavity, you don't blame the grocery store for charging you for food, you don't blame the car repair shop, because your brakes are bad.

I am sick of people crying about being required to pay for themselves,

Now the government is bailing home owners out with , yep, tax payer money.

It is not up to the tax payers to make sure someone keeps their home.

The only people who want re-distribution of wealth are those who don't want to earn their keep, or want something for nothing.

Now your nothing more than a plant and a puppet, trying to sway voters, by reminding the greedy, all the free they can have.

Most people on this thread see right through you.

BUYLOW, Fell free to check for spelling errors now!

But if you call me A DRUNK INDIAN again, we are going to have words.

Keep your racism and sterotyping to yourself

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
              Member #127330
              April 28, 2012
              9 Posts
              Posted: May 8, 2012, 9:57 am - IP Logged

could not agree more, thanks googler

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: May 8, 2012, 10:35 am - IP Logged

I can see that sully artfully cleaned your clock but just one more thing, googler...

You said:

"...the majority of the people in this poll voted to bring balance to the distribution of wealth."

Doesn't matter a hill of beans what a bunch of libs said in an unscientific online poll. What matters is what the Constitution says.

Could you show me where in the Constitution it says anything about the redistribution of wealth or the government being involved in anything like that? Where exactly does it say we can arbitrarily take it away from the people who earn it and give it to those who don't want to work? Please be specific.

Thanks ever so much.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: May 8, 2012, 10:40 am - IP Logged

could not agree more, thanks googler

The lemmings are gathering.

This way for free stuff everybody!

Follow me!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

East of Columbus, OH
                    United States
                    Member #120843
                    December 28, 2011
                    451 Posts
                    Posted: May 8, 2012, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Our car industry was not almost lost.  Ford took ZERO money and came out better for it.  I will NEVER buy a new Government Motors vehicle, even if I win the lottery.  Retirements were ruined by Enron.  Retirements were ruined by Bernie Madoff.  Retirements get ruined.  Houses get lost.  People sleep in their cars.  Cats die.

The main problem is that government constantly gets in the way.  Throws up rules to impede business.  Always claiming that they are "protecting" people.

How many people died on the Oregon Trail, settling the West?  But the government didn't forbid it and the job got done. 

How many people died cutting down trees building their homes and businesses on their land?  But the government didnt' forbid cutting down trees and cities were built.

How many people died drilling for oil?  The government didn't forbid it and we had an economic boom.  An industrial age.

Now the phony global warming, no-growth, flat-earthers want to send us back to the pre-industrial horse riding days where everyone has the same thing.  Here's the problem with that Googler.  Everyone doesn't want the same thing.  I don't want to live in the big city.  I like my rural life.  I don't want to drive an unsafe Smart car or Toyota Pious.  I like my truck.  I don't care that it gets 18mpg.  It's MY choice.

The government should be promoting the free market system because it has made this country the greatest in the history of the world.

There are always going to be poor people and rich people.  Even under communism, socialism, fascism or any other spread the wealth plan.  The people at the top under those plans didn't live the same as Joe Citizen.  They have the money, power, and privilege. 

It will never be equal.  There will always be thieves.  People always want more.  Where's the incentive to work harder if we all get the same thing?  Even if we are in a field picking apples off a tree.  If you pick 10 bushels and I only pick 8, we both get the same wage, live in the same type of house, drive the same car.

The next day I'm only going to pick 5 while you pick 10.  The day after that I may only pick 1, while you pick 10.  But at least we will be getting paid the same, right?

East of Columbus, OH
                      United States
                      Member #120843
                      December 28, 2011
                      451 Posts
                      Posted: May 8, 2012, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

That's the scariest thing I've ever read. Period. Leaving

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40566 Posts
                        Posted: May 8, 2012, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

That's the scariest thing I've ever read. Period. Leaving

LOL, I was very angry at the time, loved your post. Win big today.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

East of Columbus, OH
                          United States
                          Member #120843
                          December 28, 2011
                          451 Posts
                          Posted: May 8, 2012, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

LOL, I was very angry at the time, loved your post. Win big today.

I've been married a couple of times, sooooo, I know what those kinds of phrases mean.  My wife has it down to a science now.  She doesn't need words any more.  She uses different looks.Sulk Off

The Mega is on tap for a repeat win tonight!  I'll send you a steak for that extra push of luck over the top!  Big Grin

Dittos on the win big!!Cheers

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                            upstate NY
                            United States
                            Member #108791
                            March 31, 2011
                            549 Posts
                            Posted: May 8, 2012, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

"Millions lost their jobs, yep and most refused a lower paying job because unemployment paid more"

Most employers offering lower-paying jobs refuse to hire workers who had been earning more money because they know that as soon as those people can land a higher-paying job, they're out of there.  These employers would rather hire a captive audience, people who aren't qualified for anything better than a minimum-wage job.

I don't know how it is in Michigan, but in New York, unemployment pays AT MOST $405 a week before taxes.  That's not a whole lot, especially in the more expensive parts of the state.  You might be able to get by on that if you're single, but I don't see how anyone can support a family on unemployment benefits alone.  And even so, it doesn't last forever.  The state's benefits expire after 26 weeks, and the federal extension of 99 weeks doesn't apply to everyone.  Depending on when you started claiming unemployment, the extension could be much shorter.

Bottom line, do not assume that everyone is sitting around living the high life while you slave away at your cashier's job.  Fraud exists -- though that's more welfare fraud than unemployment fraud -- but a few bad eggs are not representative of the whole.

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: May 8, 2012, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

"Millions lost their jobs, yep and most refused a lower paying job because unemployment paid more"

Most employers offering lower-paying jobs refuse to hire workers who had been earning more money because they know that as soon as those people can land a higher-paying job, they're out of there.  These employers would rather hire a captive audience, people who aren't qualified for anything better than a minimum-wage job.

I don't know how it is in Michigan, but in New York, unemployment pays AT MOST $405 a week before taxes.  That's not a whole lot, especially in the more expensive parts of the state.  You might be able to get by on that if you're single, but I don't see how anyone can support a family on unemployment benefits alone.  And even so, it doesn't last forever.  The state's benefits expire after 26 weeks, and the federal extension of 99 weeks doesn't apply to everyone.  Depending on when you started claiming unemployment, the extension could be much shorter.

Bottom line, do not assume that everyone is sitting around living the high life while you slave away at your cashier's job.  Fraud exists -- though that's more welfare fraud than unemployment fraud -- but a few bad eggs are not representative of the whole.

Excellent point mb!  Thumbs Up

Page 15 of 27