Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Waiting for Wealth

Topic closed. 404 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 19 of 27
PrintE-mailLink

Should you vote for and support policies that benefit only the rich as you wait to win the lottery?

Yes [ 10 ]  [18.52%]
No [ 44 ]  [81.48%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: May 12, 2012, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Ronnie, if you get the chance, check out my blog on really dumb government spending, They are spending us right into 3 world poverty.

That would be like visiting my X and fining out what I already know.

When the people who make the laws are the same people who have the checkbook, all they have to do is legalize their own corrupt behavior and tell everyone to go snip themselves if they don't like it.

OH YA, that and say "THE RICH ARNT PAYING THEIR FAIR SHARE"Puke

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
    TX
    United States
    Member #121193
    January 4, 2012
    1637 Posts
    Posted: May 12, 2012, 11:13 am - IP Logged

CDanaT,

You may be surprised to learn that I actually agree with you on most of what you're saying.  Not all of it, mind you, but at this point I'm not sure it would be productive to keep going at it.  The biggest difference between us is that it seems like you'd rather I take a baseball bat to your, uh, "gentleman's area" than even consider raising taxes.  There are definitely cuts that need to be made and we can argue over how much should be cut and where until the cows come home.  However, I maintain my stance that cuts alone will not be sufficient; you'll have to bring in more tax revenue, and it makes sense to raise taxes on the richest of the rich.  I'm not talking about your average small business owner, I'm talking about the real heavy hitters.  These guys don't start businesses, though doing so may or may not be how they got to where they are; they just get paid handsomely to (supposedly) run the biggest businesses in the land.  Although I misattributed the quote about robbing banks earlier, the point is the same:  that's where the money is.

Media,
        We can completely agree on cuts............I have no desires to do the baseball bat ordeal, that is gormless......Your stance is believing that taking  more from "the real heavy hitters" will aid in resolving the issue......It could help provide some extra $$ towards a balanced budget.  The problem lies with the government , which isn't happy with what they make. They continue to outspend what they take in.....Then its the old addage we need more revenue cause we spend more cause the taxpayers are making more......Stop the friggin spending and live within a budget. The American business people are in business to make a profit vs the U.S. government which IS NOT !! Stop growing government. This idea that the more people make the more government needs to take is is total communism..
           Look at the USAJOBS.gov website.....Look at the kick lately, one of the new major job sections they are hiring for in 2/3rds of the 50 states ????  Mine safety and health for coal, metal and non metal.....pay range "$38,790.00 to $74,628.00 / Per Year - 43 openings  " for coal inspectors.... metal inspectors, "$38,790.00 to $74,628.00 / Per Year - 47 openings"....more government, more regulations, more costs to the tax payers....Hence MORE SPENDING.... but you take the 90 government openings with an average salary of 55K, benefits, retirement....You are talking between 7-10 million a year, not to include,offices buildings,supplies,vehicles,fuel, etc etc............ whos paying for that ??
          I posted the 400 richest billionaires from Forbes earlier. You know,"THE REAL HEAVY HITTERS". Your above quote states " These guys don't start businesses" I posted what they do and what their net worth is. I can't imagine what they pay in taxes already..
          This is my point with government, then they need to regulate and rule on everything....then what happens ?? We need a bureau for this and people for that...
    You can't keep robbing from Peter to pay Paul.......It's just like the SS system, its headed for bankruptcy because more and more folks are tapping in vs putting in....
         Tagging the heavy hitters does not solve the issue,,,,,,stop government spending,stop creating new bureaus, then you wont need to tax people more.....How many levels of government do you have in your area ??   Me ? I have the feds,state,county and city( I won't include home owners assoc. although they impose regulations too)

I use Greece as an example. The news reported that 25% of the people work for the government...so the other 75 % pay ...minus children of course, which drops the Working Payers level to  well below 50%....Its the old story less folks who don't work so more demand is placed on those who do.....

Now, lets come back from Gilligans Island( Greece) shall we ??

How do the real heavy hitters make money?  they invest in ideas or the market or buy companies that sell products and services for profit...not all investments work but they pay for people to research to make sure their money is well spent....What recent bonehead play does Uncle Sam do ??    He invests in Solyndra..not a few million dollars but $500 Million dollars down the drain...whos gonna pay for that ???  I KNOW, lets tax the rich so they can pay for it. The rich would have done their homework and said,"that company is doomed for failure". But not Uncle Sam, he invests anyway, OH well lets let the rich guys  pay for THAT failure(again) ..The U.S Government needs to start trying to run government like a business. Stop taxing for every little pet project some congress person wants and live within a budget. Putting debt on my children and future grandchildren is not the answer.

How much money does the U.S Government take in from lottery winnings from every state on prizes over $600 Monday - Friday every single week of the year ??  How much did the U.S Gov just suck up on the big MM jackpot in taxes. Look at the winners from last year on the powerball and the MegaMillions and take at least 25-35% of the total...Good grief

In closing, forced extra taxing "the real heavy hitters" to invest in failed business adventures, larger government, reckless spending and more freebie handouts hasn't solved the problem. It never has and it never will.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: May 12, 2012, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Nice reply CD, seems like a lot of energy to expend on someone who could quite possibly be menally ill.

People who live in a "bubble" and spend all their time pointing at eveyone and repeating catch phrases like:

"you live in a bubble" you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich" 

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

are just insane.

TX
        United States
        Member #121193
        January 4, 2012
        1637 Posts
        Posted: May 12, 2012, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Nice reply CD, seems like a lot of energy to expend on someone who could quite possibly be menally ill.

People who live in a "bubble" and spend all their time pointing at eveyone and repeating catch phrases like:

"you live in a bubble" you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"you live in a bubble"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich" 

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

"more tax on the rich"

are just insane.

Ronnie.....Its Okay, the left supporters have some good intentions, its just the methods of getting the facts to the people/solving problems that are disguised(Obama).....Then again the right hasn't been upfront all of the time either with some of their crooks(Nixon)......The one thing that we can say is without a doubt is that we have a $16 Trillion dollar debt that grows each and every second. That group of useless prophylactic buttplugs,  we call Congress, just throws money around like its  an unrestricted Tornado !!!!.....Both sides claim to care and maybe a few actually do. But if they really cared as a collective group about this country they would stop overspending and stop taking money from those that actually do live within  their means....Just my humble opinion

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: May 12, 2012, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Ronnie.....Its Okay, the left supporters have some good intentions, its just the methods of getting the facts to the people/solving problems that are disguised(Obama).....Then again the right hasn't been upfront all of the time either with some of their crooks(Nixon)......The one thing that we can say is without a doubt is that we have a $16 Trillion dollar debt that grows each and every second. That group of useless prophylactic buttplugs,  we call Congress, just throws money around like its  an unrestricted Tornado !!!!.....Both sides claim to care and maybe a few actually do. But if they really cared as a collective group about this country they would stop overspending and stop taking money from those that actually do live within  their means....Just my humble opinion

All good points. (especially the buttplug factoid) Butt, trying to stay on topic concerning "higher taxes on the rich" there is a second scenario (other than a mental deficiency) that mediabrat is dealing with. Namely, being deceived by one of the 100s if not 1000s of catch phrases being disseminated by a well funded and well oiled political machine we call our government.

I distinguish between mental issues and deception because any honest, reasonable thinking person can always work their way toward true and logical facts, if they can be honest with themselves.

I love to follow WWE Wrestling because they throw dozens of sit com situations out there to see which ones stick and go over as popular. The ones that don't work they just quit, but the ones that do go over they keep working them and working them to get all the attraction they can. The political machine does the same thing and "more taxes on the rich" is just a phase that caught on and they are milking it for all its worth. You have done an excellent job of proving beyond any doubt that ALL the wealth of ALL the rich people will NOT solve ANY of our countrys fiscal issues, BUTT the deceived (or mentally deficient) masses still hang on to the emotional thought of "make them pay their FAIR share" (The whole idea that everything should be FAIR is also a weird fantasy)

To take this thought out of the political arena to make a point, just look at the catch phase "you cant win if you don't play" This is an UNTRUE STATMENT THAT ILLUDES TO A TRUE FACT. If you insert the assumed words "the lottery" it becomes a true fact... you cant win the lottery if you dont play the lottery. (true fact)

Now take the phrase "we are a country of immigrants" this is a TRUE STATEMENT THAT ILLUDES TO A UNTRUE FACT. This phrase is used to say ILLEGAL immigration is good. (untrue fact)

Finally, "more tax on the rich" is neither true or false but it is used to insight emotion and get the people to take sides against one another. And as long as we are taking stands against each other, we will not be standing together against the corrupt political machine and they will continue "progressing"

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
            upstate NY
            United States
            Member #108791
            March 31, 2011
            549 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2012, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

You obviously just don't get it.

We don't have a tax revenue problem. We have a spending problem.

We already have the highest corporate tax rate in the world.

If you raise the taxes even more they will spend even more.  They have free rein to spend all they want because Harry Reid(D) hasn't submitted a budget in years.

They shouldn't be allowed to keep raising and raising and raising taxes to cover their irresponsible spending sprees.

They need to stop the insane spending before they do anything else.

You and I have to budget our money, why shouldn't they?

It's really not that complicated.

Did you miss where I agreed that spending is also a problem?  But that's just it, it's ALSO a problem.  It's not the ONLY problem.  Reducing spending alone might get us to where we need to be budget-wise (though I doubt it), but we also have this ballooning debt to tackle, not to mention the various cookie jars we've raided (*coughsocialsecuritycough*) that we really ought to refill.  Yeah, I know we're not going to eliminate it in one fell swoop, even if you went with CDanaT's ludicrous scenario of confiscating the entire net worth of the top 300 earners in the country, but at least we can get started.

And nowhere did I mention corporate tax rates.  I realize the right wing takes corporate personhood rather literally, but I did not suggest raising taxes on businesses.

I realize no one said this, but I never suggested raising taxes on folks like us, and I truly do not believe that you and I should have to shoulder any more of our nation's economic burdens than we already are.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
              East of Columbus, OH
              United States
              Member #120843
              December 28, 2011
              451 Posts
              Posted: May 13, 2012, 12:14 am - IP Logged

If anyone has noticed.  I don't believe that googler has posted on this thread in several days. 

I also read a story about one of the co-founders of the beloved "facebook" has renounced his citizenship to avoid the massive capital gains taxes that would have been levied against him when the company goes public.  He now lives in tax free Singapore.  Amazing.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Virginia Beach, Virginia
                United States
                Member #110060
                April 25, 2011
                115 Posts
                Posted: May 13, 2012, 2:27 am - IP Logged

If anyone has noticed.  I don't believe that googler has posted on this thread in several days. 

I also read a story about one of the co-founders of the beloved "facebook" has renounced his citizenship to avoid the massive capital gains taxes that would have been levied against him when the company goes public.  He now lives in tax free Singapore.  Amazing.

"HERE I AM TO SAVE THE DAY" MIGHTY GOOGLER!!!!!!! US Flag

The national problem is our belief in the "American Dream." Too many citizens think that they will join the super rich. Too many of us support politicians that introduce bills, policies and tax breaks that benefits mainly the 2%. Trust me, few of us will join the 2%.

The result is that far too many of us vote against our interest. That is why my initial question asked, "who/what will you support, while waiting to win the lottery." The word "lottery" could be replaced by any means of becoming wealthy. While you are building up you assets, if you support only policies that benefit the rich; you will weaken this nation.

As a thinking citizen in a participatory democracy, your duty as a good citizens should be to prevent figures as represented by the chart below from happening. An income disparity like this will lead to the USA becoming a Banana Republic. 

There should be no argument on this point in this forum. False arguments, misinterpreted statements, falsely reconstruct statements based of Rush Hatebaugh type logic will lead us to disaster...doom doom doom!!!!

There is a class warfare and we are losing!!!!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
                  United States
                  Member #110060
                  April 25, 2011
                  115 Posts
                  Posted: May 13, 2012, 2:52 am - IP Logged

It is the butcher, baker and the candlestick maker the are the backbone of America. When they have money in their pockets they support communities, large and small. The 2% are greedy in all stripes.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 13, 2012, 5:16 am - IP Logged

Did you miss where I agreed that spending is also a problem?  But that's just it, it's ALSO a problem.  It's not the ONLY problem.  Reducing spending alone might get us to where we need to be budget-wise (though I doubt it), but we also have this ballooning debt to tackle, not to mention the various cookie jars we've raided (*coughsocialsecuritycough*) that we really ought to refill.  Yeah, I know we're not going to eliminate it in one fell swoop, even if you went with CDanaT's ludicrous scenario of confiscating the entire net worth of the top 300 earners in the country, but at least we can get started.

And nowhere did I mention corporate tax rates.  I realize the right wing takes corporate personhood rather literally, but I did not suggest raising taxes on businesses.

I realize no one said this, but I never suggested raising taxes on folks like us, and I truly do not believe that you and I should have to shoulder any more of our nation's economic burdens than we already are.

Sounds like we might be close to agreeing on something. (GACK!)

The only thing I'm saying different perhaps is that we reverse the process: Let them spend according to their income like we do instead of spending like wild men gone insane and then saying they need more taxes again and again and again because they can't pay the bills.

And then there's this: "...but I never suggested raising taxes on folks like us..."   Yes, no one ever does. It's always a "pass the buck" solution when it comes time to raise taxes. Here in Tennessee, when they want more money for education, all the people who don't smoke are all in favor of letting the hated smokers pick up the tab with extra taxes on their cigarettes. Everybody's always fine with higher taxes as long as they're on somebody else.

Given the fact that raising taxes on the rich at this point would have as much effect on our debt as whizzing in the ocean would have on sea levels, it comes off as a purely punitive measure taken out of some sense of a need for a comeuppance on their part for being successful. We already have enough business and industry leaving the country for better tax environments and the wealthy themselves are beginning to renounce their citizenship and leave the country in increasing numbers too. We need that capital here.

It's clear to me that the solution is drastic cuts in non-military discretionary spending before any talk of more taxes. They've gotten away with this routine for too long. If we let them raise taxes again, they'll just spend that and more and then say they need even more taxes again later.

Like they always do.   

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: May 13, 2012, 6:29 am - IP Logged

Yes Media.....The ,"confiscating the entire net worth of the top 300 earners in the country" was facetiously stated by me to show you  that taxing the "real heavy hitters" will not solve the problem..........For agreements sake, lets say we tax them more.....Generate how much 5,8,10 billion ?   Now what ???  You have gotten your taxes....Here's where we come back to the REAL  ISSUE... SPENDING $$$$.  We do agree that we  aren't paying down the debt and the cookie jar replenishment. Current administration is spending more and more each year.  As I pointed out earlier,  and most others have done so as well. You cant out spend you way  from debt.  But if you have an idea as to how to accomplish that, I will be willing to listen intently.

I did look at your last sentence, " but I never suggested raising taxes on folks like us, and I truly do not believe that you and I should have to shoulder any more of our nation's economic burdens than we already are.."............. Did you ever think the "real heavy hitters" feel the same exact way ??.......They didn't cause the burden either and they have paid their required share.............

Want something fair ?  pay a flat tax. Want to generate revenue to pay down the debt? Charge a $2.00 fee on all internet sales over  $10.00( I don't like it)  BUT, every $2.00 GOES ONLY TO PAY DOWN THE DEBT ONLY...I don't think it will generate a trillion dollars but its fair to everyone....Course you and I both know what will happen with that issue, Government will find a way to spend more cause more revenue is coming in.

Googler is correct on "Class warfare"...... Kudos to you on that one.

TX
                        United States
                        Member #121193
                        January 4, 2012
                        1637 Posts
                        Posted: May 13, 2012, 7:34 am - IP Logged

Sounds like we might be close to agreeing on something. (GACK!)

The only thing I'm saying different perhaps is that we reverse the process: Let them spend according to their income like we do instead of spending like wild men gone insane and then saying they need more taxes again and again and again because they can't pay the bills.

And then there's this: "...but I never suggested raising taxes on folks like us..."   Yes, no one ever does. It's always a "pass the buck" solution when it comes time to raise taxes. Here in Tennessee, when they want more money for education, all the people who don't smoke are all in favor of letting the hated smokers pick up the tab with extra taxes on their cigarettes. Everybody's always fine with higher taxes as long as they're on somebody else.

Given the fact that raising taxes on the rich at this point would have as much effect on our debt as whizzing in the ocean would have on sea levels, it comes off as a purely punitive measure taken out of some sense of a need for a comeuppance on their part for being successful. We already have enough business and industry leaving the country for better tax environments and the wealthy themselves are beginning to renounce their citizenship and leave the country in increasing numbers too. We need that capital here.

It's clear to me that the solution is drastic cuts in non-military discretionary spending before any talk of more taxes. They've gotten away with this routine for too long. If we let them raise taxes again, they'll just spend that and more and then say they need even more taxes again later.

Like they always do.   

Ridge, I kind of liked the article the Huffington Post did on California today with (D) Gov. Brown

"California's budget deficit has swelled to a projected $16 billion – much larger than had been predicted just months ago – and will force severe cuts to schools and public safety if voters fail to approve tax increases in November, Gov. Jerry Brown said Saturday.

The Democratic governor said the shortfall grew from $9.2 billion in January in part because tax collections have not come in as high as expected and the economy isn't growing as fast as hoped for. The deficit has also risen because lawsuits and federal requirements have blocked billions of dollars in state cuts.

Democrats, who control the Legislature, have resisted Brown's proposed cuts so far this year. Republican lawmakers criticized the majority party for building in overly optimistic tax revenues.

Under Brown's tax plan, California would temporarily raise the state's sales tax by a quarter-cent and increase the income tax on people who make $250,000 or more. Brown is projecting his tax initiative would raise as much as $9 billion, but a review by the nonpartisan analyst's office estimates revenue of $6.8 billion in fiscal year 2012-13.

There you go.. Democratic Leadership expecting higher revenues in this economy. Now they are extremely short and have to add more  sales tax and more income tax .   Oops,outspent the budget AGAIN and didn't use reasonableness as a guide when planning the budget.

I wonder if their leaders volunteered to take a paycut ???

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: May 13, 2012, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Ridge, I kind of liked the article the Huffington Post did on California today with (D) Gov. Brown

"California's budget deficit has swelled to a projected $16 billion – much larger than had been predicted just months ago – and will force severe cuts to schools and public safety if voters fail to approve tax increases in November, Gov. Jerry Brown said Saturday.

The Democratic governor said the shortfall grew from $9.2 billion in January in part because tax collections have not come in as high as expected and the economy isn't growing as fast as hoped for. The deficit has also risen because lawsuits and federal requirements have blocked billions of dollars in state cuts.

Democrats, who control the Legislature, have resisted Brown's proposed cuts so far this year. Republican lawmakers criticized the majority party for building in overly optimistic tax revenues.

Under Brown's tax plan, California would temporarily raise the state's sales tax by a quarter-cent and increase the income tax on people who make $250,000 or more. Brown is projecting his tax initiative would raise as much as $9 billion, but a review by the nonpartisan analyst's office estimates revenue of $6.8 billion in fiscal year 2012-13.

There you go.. Democratic Leadership expecting higher revenues in this economy. Now they are extremely short and have to add more  sales tax and more income tax .   Oops,outspent the budget AGAIN and didn't use reasonableness as a guide when planning the budget.

I wonder if their leaders volunteered to take a paycut ???

Yep, that's the way they always do it cuz that's the way they've always done it, for a long while now.

And the beat goes on.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: May 13, 2012, 8:21 am - IP Logged

"HERE I AM TO SAVE THE DAY" MIGHTY GOOGLER!!!!!!! US Flag

The national problem is our belief in the "American Dream." Too many citizens think that they will join the super rich. Too many of us support politicians that introduce bills, policies and tax breaks that benefits mainly the 2%. Trust me, few of us will join the 2%.

The result is that far too many of us vote against our interest. That is why my initial question asked, "who/what will you support, while waiting to win the lottery." The word "lottery" could be replaced by any means of becoming wealthy. While you are building up you assets, if you support only policies that benefit the rich; you will weaken this nation.

As a thinking citizen in a participatory democracy, your duty as a good citizens should be to prevent figures as represented by the chart below from happening. An income disparity like this will lead to the USA becoming a Banana Republic. 

There should be no argument on this point in this forum. False arguments, misinterpreted statements, falsely reconstruct statements based of Rush Hatebaugh type logic will lead us to disaster...doom doom doom!!!!

There is a class warfare and we are losing!!!!

I won't spend a whole lot of time or effort on this because it's clear that you're a committed marxist.

You said:

"The national problem is our belief in the "American Dream."

No it's not.

Though achieving the "American Dream" has escaped you because you are incapable or lazy doesn't make it a problem for the vast majority of us.

Perhaps you would be better suited to go try the Cuban Dream or the North Korean Dream or the Chinese Dream.

There you can have your dream just the way you like it: Under strict government control and crushing bureaucracy.

Let's not kid each other. 

--Edmund Burke

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2012, 9:51 am - IP Logged

While you are building up you assets, if you support only policies that benefit the rich; you will weaken this nation.

How exactly does having rich people weaken the nation?? Also can mediabrat or googler please explain what "progressives" are, and what exactly it is that we are progressing toward?

Page 19 of 27