Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 20 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19828 Posts
Posted: June 24, 2012, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Don't mention it, the least I can do for an up and coming millionaire.   Big Grin

I thought I read a few years ago someone patented an idea for adding a wheeling routine to the lottery terminals and tried to sell it without any success.  (Their idea was to limit the wheels sizes such that they could be printed out in a period of time that didn't interfere with the regular business of the retailers)

Maybe once state lotteries go online, players will be able to make up a file of unlimited combinations on their home computers and just dump them when they buy their tickets online if they a credit line to cover that many tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2012, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

I thought I read a few years ago someone patented an idea for adding a wheeling routine to the lottery terminals and tried to sell it without any success.  (Their idea was to limit the wheels sizes such that they could be printed out in a period of time that didn't interfere with the regular business of the retailers)

Maybe once state lotteries go online, players will be able to make up a file of unlimited combinations on their home computers and just dump them when they buy their tickets online if they a credit line to cover that many tickets.

This would be great news for Ronnie! The way he discusses mansions, yachts and Gulfstreams as if they were just mere toys, a credit line

should propose no problem what so ever. The only question he would have to the lotto office is, do you take Amex, Visa, MasterCard or Diners Club?

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2012, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

This would be great news for Ronnie! The way he discusses mansions, yachts and Gulfstreams as if they were just mere toys, a credit line

should propose no problem what so ever. The only question he would have to the lotto office is, do you take Amex, Visa, MasterCard or Diners Club?

That's funny as heck mc, because I already asked them the last time I was down there and they said "NO........ get outa here.......  come back with CASH if you want tickets...."  lol.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2012, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Looks like it was a (wannabe) hand held device in 1985

Patent US4692863 - Electronic apparatus for generating sets of ...

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2012, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

That was more than a few years ago....27.  Eek

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: June 24, 2012, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

That was more than a few years ago....27.  Eek

It was the only one I could find              What?

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: June 24, 2012, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

That's right, they gave me one of those printed mapquest driving directions to get to the nearest ATM machines....... it sends you around the block three times to get to an ATM machine the you can walk across the street to get to. lol. I just went home though. lol.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19828 Posts
                Posted: June 24, 2012, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

The idea I read about was software, not hardware  and was to be part of the terminal software.  Also in the piece was an idea for states to create pools of numbers allowing players to buy in thus reducing their cost per line.

I'm sure lotteries get sent all kinds of ideas like that all the time.  Look at all the weird ideas that LP members come up with for winning a jackpot.

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: June 24, 2012, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

The idea I read about was software, not hardware  and was to be part of the terminal software.  Also in the piece was an idea for states to create pools of numbers allowing players to buy in thus reducing their cost per line.

I'm sure lotteries get sent all kinds of ideas like that all the time.  Look at all the weird ideas that LP members come up with for winning a jackpot.

I know, isn't it amazing? It seems like the most goofy people you will ever meet in your whole life are right here on LP trying to come up with ways to win an unwinnable jackpot.

Take my idea of pretending to play 100k lines per draw and thinking I will "win" a jackpot in 5 years time when simple math tells me that 175,000,000 divided by 100k is 1750 and 1750 draws divided by 104 draws per year is 16.826923 years before I can statistically expect to "win" a jackpot on paper which is not going to mean anything to anyone at all. 

I mean, you have to ask yourself: "what are people thinking when they do such things"?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2012, 7:08 am - IP Logged

I know, isn't it amazing? It seems like the most goofy people you will ever meet in your whole life are right here on LP trying to come up with ways to win an unwinnable jackpot.

Take my idea of pretending to play 100k lines per draw and thinking I will "win" a jackpot in 5 years time when simple math tells me that 175,000,000 divided by 100k is 1750 and 1750 draws divided by 104 draws per year is 16.826923 years before I can statistically expect to "win" a jackpot on paper which is not going to mean anything to anyone at all. 

I mean, you have to ask yourself: "what are people thinking when they do such things"?

I never said the jackpots were unwinnable, after all a MM jackpot is won six to a dozen times every year and during most drawings a half dozen or more players get within one number of winning the jackpot. 

It's just seems like luck is more of a factor for those who win than having a plan, but if you don't plan to play you can't plan to win.

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: June 25, 2012, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Not so fast mc,

Im waiting for you to follow through on"I should call my lottery office to propose that scenario, to see if that's even doable?"

After that Im planning on hitting 5 of 5 a few times right here before I start dropping $100k on each drawing. Besides Im think it will take about 5 years to hit a JP and @ $100k per drawing I am talking about a $51 million proposition.

But what did the Lottery think was going to start happening once they created $640 million dollar Jackpots that are up for grabs?

Morning Ronnie,

Just got off the phone with a Leonard, from NH Lottery Commission. Needless to say he was a little taken back by this request! But after joking

with him for a couple of minutes, he opened right up and started asking for the specifics. I did explain I was calling on behalf of a serious

lottery player friend, who had ample cash for this transaction. He was concerned for the amount of man hours required, with his limited staff to

fill out all 98,280 numbers to the play slips. He indicated he would need to get back to me for a final answer.

As I was posting, I just got his call. He had to speak to the lottery director (actually was a former director for state of MA). Unfortunately

Ronnie, no-go. The explanation was a little vague, but it came down to a "perception issue" is what I was told. I asked if he thought other state

lotteries would have similar responses, and he indicated probably. Since this was a former lottery director for MA, he did indicate MA would have

the same position. On a side note, they do not accept credit cards, and for a large amount like that, they would prefer a bank or cahiers check.

Well at least you know where the Multi-States and MA stand. Hope your not discouraged?  Let It All Out

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7313 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2012, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I have an account with a legal horse racing book and all the bets must be made manually. If an online state lottery used a similar program, a player could make their bet after filling out each playslip so that would eliminate handing them to a clerk to print. If the lotteries allowed any amount of bets, they could use a program similar to the full wheels on LP. A player could deposit enough money to cover the bet, choose the wheel, enter the numbers, and submit the bet.

The horse racing program allows perfecta, trifecta, and superfecta boxes for every horse in a race so the necessary technology exists and just needs to be expanded. It's possible the person you're talking about sold his idea to the company who designs the horse racing terminals.

The sports book has limits on how much a player may deposit each month and the online lottery betting probably will too. I doubt a lottery would allow unlimited bets even if enough money was deposited to cover the bets, because they have rules preventing players from "buying" a jackpot.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2012, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Morning Ronnie,

Just got off the phone with a Leonard, from NH Lottery Commission. Needless to say he was a little taken back by this request! But after joking

with him for a couple of minutes, he opened right up and started asking for the specifics. I did explain I was calling on behalf of a serious

lottery player friend, who had ample cash for this transaction. He was concerned for the amount of man hours required, with his limited staff to

fill out all 98,280 numbers to the play slips. He indicated he would need to get back to me for a final answer.

As I was posting, I just got his call. He had to speak to the lottery director (actually was a former director for state of MA). Unfortunately

Ronnie, no-go. The explanation was a little vague, but it came down to a "perception issue" is what I was told. I asked if he thought other state

lotteries would have similar responses, and he indicated probably. Since this was a former lottery director for MA, he did indicate MA would have

the same position. On a side note, they do not accept credit cards, and for a large amount like that, they would prefer a bank or cahiers check.

Well at least you know where the Multi-States and MA stand. Hope your not discouraged?  Let It All Out

Thanks for the effort mc,

Not discouraged. I assumed in the beginning that the play slips would have to be filled out and run through machines. This gives me a reason to show up at my Lottery office and make the same request. I will let you know what they say. Sometimes things work a little different out here in the wild west. (as you may already know)

Stack, I really don't think $100k could be even remotely considered "buying a jackpot"  In fact it still leaves me 1 in 38 away from "buying" 5 of 5. lol.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5121 Posts
                            Posted: June 25, 2012, 11:38 am - IP Logged

tell>>>us>>>$MOR Bed:

RN316 bout UR>>TurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkeyTurkey

Ronnie Hits 5 out of 5 Playing ALL EVEN ######'SSS???

$$$$$$$$$JACKPOT$$$$$$$$$$$$

U?WON???HOW MUCH???$$$$$$$$

PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7313 Posts
                              Posted: June 25, 2012, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the effort mc,

Not discouraged. I assumed in the beginning that the play slips would have to be filled out and run through machines. This gives me a reason to show up at my Lottery office and make the same request. I will let you know what they say. Sometimes things work a little different out here in the wild west. (as you may already know)

Stack, I really don't think $100k could be even remotely considered "buying a jackpot"  In fact it still leaves me 1 in 38 away from "buying" 5 of 5. lol.

The rules weren't made to prevent players from buying fixed jackpots. I'm pretty sure any state lottery would allow a player to buy a $1 straight ticket on the 1000 possible pick-3 outcomes and gladly pay them $500 the next day. The rules are there because of the rolling jackpots when the jackpots occasionally exceeds the possible outcomes. I don't know if the rules are based on an amount of play, based on the amount of time a terminal would be tied up, or a combination of both.

Your problem is with logistics because the lottery needs a printed ticket with all 98,280 of your bets. I can bet a 10 horse superfecta box (3024 combos) on one ticket but the lottery terminals don't have that capability. When you go to the lottery office, ask them why they don't offer that type of bet and mention that race tracks do.

Page 20 of 353