Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 70 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7302 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2012, 11:10 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I did check that out, Stack, and I personally think it's pretty s*itty! What's the difference in paying out a total of $100Mil whether it's (1) person in a (6) out of (6) or ( 100) people in a (5) of (6) for $1Mil each payoutWhat? The amount is still the same, rightI Agree!. Wow, are they ever f*ckin' stingy!!!Mad So, in some crazy instance where (20) people happen to match (5) for (6), they don't all get a cool $1Mil??? Is this right? If it is, the only caveat is that some money is better than no money for matching a given amount of numbers here. Would I acccept a "PRORATED" $50,000 for my match? <snip> right, I would! But, I'd be complaining and cussing them out all the way to the bank about how unfair it still is because I should really be a MILLIONAIRE!!!!

L.L.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I don't know how the lottery rules can use terms like "expected or probable" and win in court because when they sell ten tickets with the same five numbers, there is a possibility of ten winning 5 + 0 tickets. Without any monetary cap or any limits on the number of times any five number combo is sold, the lotteries are basically saying they will take all bets, payoff the majority of winning tickets but in "some cases" will short change the winners.

The reason the PB site says "70% to 80% of winning tickets are QPs" is probably because they want 100% of their sales to be QPs so they can regulate through distribution the number of secondary prize winners based on "expected or probable" outcomes.

Note to Thrifty:

Lotteries can regulate the number of QP winners by distribution, but must put prize limits on the number of self pick winners because they can't regulate self picks. If QPs and self picks have an equal chance of winning, why is there prize limits on self picks?

Note to Ronnie:

The lotteries must believe some number combos do have better odds of winning because if not, limiting the prize amounts based on "expected or probable" outcomes would not be necessary.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7302 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2012, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Remember the two guys in West Virgina who had multiple 5+0 PB winners?  With a lot less resources than Ohio, West Virgina paid them their full amounts so I think a situation would have to be pretty bad before a state would go pari-mutuel.

"All set prizes and Power Play prizes, including Match 5+0 prize, may be reduced if claims exceed available prize fund."

The West Virginia Lottery does have a monetary limit but one $2 million winner almost equaled their total ticket sales for the drawing when the PB jackpot was $320 million. They average under $600,000 in sales and if they had to payoff just one $1 million ticket every three drawings, they would lose money.

If it's true hundreds of players play 1-2-3-4-5 and those numbers are drawn, it would destroy any credibility of advertising $1 million and $2 million prizes for matching five numbers or break many of the state lotteries if the decided to payoff the full amounts. No state lottery expects to have multiple $1 or $2 million prize winners but since there is a possibility, they are taking a huge risk especially in the states that don't define a monetary limits.

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2012, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

18 09 41 12 43 15 35 53 52 45 16 04

04 09 12 15 16 18 35 41 43 45 52 53

Numbers in play for Tue. Aug. 28, 2012

02 03 05 08 10 13 20 21 23 24 25 29 30 32 33 34 36 38 39 42 44 46 48 49 50 51 55 56

bonus ball 3

Group of 12 in play: 02 03 05 08 10 13 20 21 23 24 25 29

Im going to start filling out my 20+ play slips for tomorrow nights draw. If I ever do get the opportunity to play the 4 if 4 of 28 I will certainly take them to a retailer that can handle it.

The first time I took 20 play slips into the QT they acted confused, were dropping them on the floor, had 2 people working on them at the machine, and then came to the register and rang them up 2 at a time until he get to the total amount. ( I was feeling dismay)

The second time I took 10 play slips in thinking, "Ok, THIS should be easy"

The comments I got from the worker were: "are you playing in a pool" (I said yes, to avoid further discussion) "that is the smart way to play" and finally "I'm I part of the pool now that I ran these tickets for you" (I told him... you never know)....... What a hassle.

This time Im going to take them in 5 at a time and make 5 trips to the QT.

Playing the part, and looking stupid each time of course. lol. lol. lol. 

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2012, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Im going to start filling out my 20+ play slips for tomorrow nights draw. If I ever do get the opportunity to play the 4 if 4 of 28 I will certainly take them to a retailer that can handle it.

The first time I took 20 play slips into the QT they acted confused, were dropping them on the floor, had 2 people working on them at the machine, and then came to the register and rang them up 2 at a time until he get to the total amount. ( I was feeling dismay)

The comments I got from the worker were: "are you playing in a pool" (I said yes, to avoid further discussion) "that is the smart way to play" and finally "I'm I part of the pool now that I ran these tickets for you" (I told him... you never know)....... What a hassle.

What a hassle!

I've played 50 pick 4 numbers in the past (both day and evening). It took me going to three stores, before finding someone who was professional,

courteous, efficient and appreciative of my business. 20 play slips really shouldn't be a big deal.

My only concern is if the clerk missed a slip because two stuck together. Has happened to me a couple of times, and it took them twenty minutes

to finally deduce which slip had not been played. My solution going forward was to number each slip (1-13). I advised the clerk that the slips were

numbered sequentially to keep track of, and they had no problem with that, and actually thanked me for taking the time to do so.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19824 Posts
          Posted: August 27, 2012, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

You're probably buying your tickets at a gas station and the one thing you have to get use to when you buy over 20 lines at those places is that a lot of folks even ones you don't know think they have a right to get into your business.  You can grin and bear it or just tell them straight up it's none of their business.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: August 27, 2012, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Ok, so I may not make 5 separate trips. lol. But I will only ask them to do 5 and go back in. I did already numbers the slips just so I could keep them separate. lol. lol.

I know RJ has some crazy stories. I paid $6.extra last week correcting mistakes I made. lol.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: August 27, 2012, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

You're probably buying your tickets at a gas station and the one thing you have to get use to when you buy over 20 lines at those places is that a lot of folks even ones you don't know think they have a right to get into your business.  You can grin and bear it or just tell them straight up it's none of their business.

Sad but so true RJOh, I would just go to the lottery office but its a little out of the way I usually go each day on my travels. If I ever do more than these I will gladly go out of my way though. I have been down there and they are quite cool about accepting money.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19824 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2012, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Sad but so true RJOh, I would just go to the lottery office but its a little out of the way I usually go each day on my travels. If I ever do more than these I will gladly go out of my way though. I have been down there and they are quite cool about accepting money.

I have brought lottery tickets at grocery stores where I had to go the booth where checks are cashed which is usually a little more private than standing in line at a gas station. Also buying them at a Mom and Pop store when they aren't busy is fairly private but they usually don't have enough money to cash in your winning tickets.

I would just grin and bear it, they will eventually get use to you after you shown up a few times regularly.  It hard to find a great place to buy ticket, so once I find a decent one, I keep going back.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                  upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: August 27, 2012, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Do they not have self-service kiosks in Arizona?  Usually I buy my tickets from an actual person, but every once in a while if I'm buying a few playslips at a time I'll go someplace where I can run the slips myself.  No prying eyes or uncomfortable interactions that way.

Patriot

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: August 28, 2012, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Do they not have self-service kiosks in Arizona?  Usually I buy my tickets from an actual person, but every once in a while if I'm buying a few playslips at a time I'll go someplace where I can run the slips myself.  No prying eyes or uncomfortable interactions that way.

Good point mediabrat, but oddly enough I have never even heard of one til just this very minute which leads me to believe that we dont have them. (or Im just to dumb to notice them, lol)

I do know we have 1000s of scratch tickets machines as they are in most stores and stations. 

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: August 28, 2012, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

I have brought lottery tickets at grocery stores where I had to go the booth where checks are cashed which is usually a little more private than standing in line at a gas station. Also buying them at a Mom and Pop store when they aren't busy is fairly private but they usually don't have enough money to cash in your winning tickets.

I would just grin and bear it, they will eventually get use to you after you shown up a few times regularly.  It hard to find a great place to buy ticket, so once I find a decent one, I keep going back.

Thanks RJOh, I see huge scratch ticket machines all over town but no self serve MM.

Stormiela's avatar - 170px 051Dugtrio.png
                        Phoenix, AZ
                        United States
                        Member #120254
                        December 14, 2011
                        91 Posts
                        Posted: August 28, 2012, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Ronnie, you could always insert the playslips yourself through the machines- right above where the machines take your money. At least that's what I do since I don't like dealing with the cashiers.

Though you do run the risk of the machine not accepting the slip (sometimes they are closed for whatever reason)

Just a friendly suggestion Hippy

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: August 29, 2012, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Thank you

Stormiela, im always happy yo get friendly suggestions.
                          I had a feeling that I was walking right past it. lol.
                          Thanks.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: August 29, 2012, 1:52 am - IP Logged

Numbers in play for Tue. Aug. 28, 2012

02 03 05 08 10 13 20 21 23 24 25 29 30 32 33 34 36 38 39 42 44 46 48 49 50 51 55 56

bonus ball 3

Tuesday, August 28, 2012    04 · 09 · 40 · 45 · 50    + 39

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: August 29, 2012, 1:56 am - IP Logged

No one came close on this draw.

Page 70 of 353