N.C. farmer wins record lottery jackpot

Mar 5, 2013, 6:31 pm (28 comments)

North Carolina Lottery

It's also his second time winning a Cash 5 jackpot

RALEIGH, N.C. — A farmer from Zebulon, North Carolina, won more than $1.1 million in the Carolina Cash 5 jackpot on Sunday — the largest amount ever won by a single ticket in that game.

It was the second time that Homer Buffaloe has hit the Cash 5 jackpot.  In November 2010, he claimed half a jackpot worth $408,066.

This time, Buffaloe received a check for $778,479 after state and federal taxes were withheld.

The odds of matching all five numbers and winning the Carolina Cash 5 jackpot are 1 in 575,757.  Buffaloe's winning numbers Sunday were 24-26-30-32-33.

"The numbers just come to me," Buffaloe said.  "This time felt the same as it did the last time I won it.  I guess I've always been lucky. Every time I buy a ticket, I feel like I'm going to win."

Buffaloe bought the ticket at the One Stop Shop at Mitchell Mill and Fowler roads, northeast of Raleigh.

The previous record-holder for the largest Carolina Cash 5 jackpot awarded on a single ticket was a Greenville player who won $856,998 in November 2007.

News & Observer

Comments

sweetie7398's avatarsweetie7398

Very lucky, I'll say! Congrats.

CLETU$

Way to go Homer!!!

qutgnt

The smartest wager in any lottery is to instead of waste your time playing pick 3 or pick 4 with 50% payback is to WAIT and to spend all your money on

pick 5 rollovers where the jackpots are in the 500k range. Giving you almost a true EV of 1 to 1 ( not counting taxes) . It is all I do here in Illinois. Is only play the lucky day lotto when it is over 500k. I do not need to play 50% payback games every day. I have hit 4 out of 5 a ton of times. I might not never hit 5 out of 5 but at least I put my money in when the pot dictates it not the other way around. Great job on hitting it twice buddy!

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats Homer, enjoy !

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

That's awesome!..

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Was this the jackpot that Cincin was trying to win (where there had been a higher than normal number of JP winners)?

billionaire2bee

Not only did he win the biggest ever Cash 5 jackpot in NC he also split one a couple years back and walked away with 400,000 grand....talk about that Tarheel Luck LOL

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

Amazing, happy for him

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Homer Buffaloe, I like that name.

It's got a ring to it.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 5, 2013

It's got a ring to it.

Green laugh

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations Homer not once but twice....Thumbs Up

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 5, 2013

It's got a ring to it.

Lol

winsumloosesum's avatarwinsumloosesum

I wonder if his wife's name is Marge Buffaloe.

I'm going to change may name to Homer Buffaloe.

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

Quote: Originally posted by winsumloosesum on Mar 5, 2013

I wonder if his wife's name is Marge Buffaloe.

I'm going to change may name to Homer Buffaloe.

Hurray!WTG Homer!

zirabamuzaale

Quote: Originally posted by qutgnt on Mar 5, 2013

The smartest wager in any lottery is to instead of waste your time playing pick 3 or pick 4 with 50% payback is to WAIT and to spend all your money on

pick 5 rollovers where the jackpots are in the 500k range. Giving you almost a true EV of 1 to 1 ( not counting taxes) . It is all I do here in Illinois. Is only play the lucky day lotto when it is over 500k. I do not need to play 50% payback games every day. I have hit 4 out of 5 a ton of times. I might not never hit 5 out of 5 but at least I put my money in when the pot dictates it not the other way around. Great job on hitting it twice buddy!

I too do not waste my money on Picks 3 and Pick 4. Real lotto money begins if you play five numbers such as  Fantasy 5!!!

karinda's avatarkarinda

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Sun Smiley

ENJOY!!! Thumbs Up

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Congratulations!!  Sweet!!

Ronnie316

Hooray for NC. Hurray!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by zirabamuzaale on Mar 5, 2013

I too do not waste my money on Picks 3 and Pick 4. Real lotto money begins if you play five numbers such as  Fantasy 5!!!

I Agree! Fantasy 5

Scientistman

We'll aint that special.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Scientistman on Mar 6, 2013

We'll aint that special.

Yes, and so VERY special I think.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Saylorgirl on Mar 6, 2013

Congratulations!!  Sweet!!

I Agree!

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Mar 6, 2013

I Agree!

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 6, 2013

I Agree!

I Agree!

Dynomitemike

Lady Luck has finally blessed the WORKIN MAN. Congradulation  Homer Spend wisely and dont go broke in 7to 10 years,

Luckyfingers:

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Pleasant lottery jackpot wins.  Farmer Homer knows how to pick em #s! Rudolph

rooster8786

The story says he SPLIT a pot worth approx $408K. That means he took home a little over $200K before taxes...

jamella724

I think the first time was luck. I wonder about the second time? Mr. Homer any piece of advice on how to hit the jackpot? :)

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story