Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 1:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So what if you're best friend won the lottery??

Topic closed. 80 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2013, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

What if your very best friend in the world NOT COUNTING SPOUSES....I mean they count but if they win you win and that wont work for this scenario....What if you best friend wins the lottery and wants to buy you an expensive car or a house....Would you take it? Would you feel like you're taking advantage of them? Would you feel like you deserved it or not deserved it?? how would you handle the situation....Me Id probaly accept something like a few thousand dollars or a less expensive car...but i couldnt let them buy me something super extravagant....I'd like to be the friend that could be able to offer advice that would help them in their decision making as I've done in the past rather than be the one saying spend spend spend.....How about you???

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4146 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2013, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

What if your very best friend in the world NOT COUNTING SPOUSES....I mean they count but if they win you win and that wont work for this scenario....What if you best friend wins the lottery and wants to buy you an expensive car or a house....Would you take it? Would you feel like you're taking advantage of them? Would you feel like you deserved it or not deserved it?? how would you handle the situation....Me Id probaly accept something like a few thousand dollars or a less expensive car...but i couldnt let them buy me something super extravagant....I'd like to be the friend that could be able to offer advice that would help them in their decision making as I've done in the past rather than be the one saying spend spend spend.....How about you???

If your " Best Friend" made the offer to buy you either a house or car, that is their choice.  You cannot put a price on Friendship. For me, it would signify the high value he/ she puts on our friendship and this is just another way of expressing the gratitude of us being TRUE friends.
    Its not about the money.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4987 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2013, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

If your " Best Friend" made the offer to buy you either a house or car, that is their choice.  You cannot put a price on Friendship. For me, it would signify the high value he/ she puts on our friendship and this is just another way of expressing the gratitude of us being TRUE friends.
      Its not about the money.

I would not accept anything substantial...no more than a lunch or dinner. People don't pay me to be their friend. I disagree that it would signify the value of the friendship...that is too silly.But again, I don't resent anyone's success whether it be a lottery win, career success, etc. so it depends on how secure you are with yourself. I think I would be rather offended if a friend offered to buy me a car. I have a car. Donate the money to charity. It is their win and I would tell them to use it wisely and no more.

J'aime La France.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4146 Posts
        Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

I would not accept anything substantial...no more than a lunch or dinner. People don't pay me to be their friend. I disagree that it would signify the value of the friendship...that is too silly.But again, I don't resent anyone's success whether it be a lottery win, career success, etc. so it depends on how secure you are with yourself. I think I would be rather offended if a friend offered to buy me a car. I have a car. Donate the money to charity. It is their win and I would tell them to use it wisely and no more.

You right: it depends how secure you are with yourself,  and obviously you not.Why would you feel offended unless you dealing with insecurities to begin with.first off, l did not ask for money, second if someone looks at our friendship as something special- who am l to try and correct them to think otherwise?
        I have read of lottery winners donating tens of thousands of dollars to their church, local schools etc- you saying you are less important if your friend says not?
        You have lots of growing up to do- in my humble opinion.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

I think a refusal to accept a gift is a sign of insecurity NOT "how secure you are".

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19964 Posts
            Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

here we go Naughty

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

here we go Naughty

Green laughThis thread has "closed" written all over it.

u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19964 Posts
                Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Green laughThis thread has "closed" written all over it.

Sad Waveyi tell you bye now case i can't after it happens

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Its not about the money.

Green laugh So if your "friend" wins your motto is, "You cant put a price on friendship"...........   

But if YOU win your motto is, "Dont call me, I will call you".............

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Sad Waveyi tell you bye now case i can't after it happens

Sad Wavey

u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19964 Posts
                      Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

You right: it depends how secure you are with yourself,  and obviously you not.Why would you feel offended unless you dealing with insecurities to begin with.first off, l did not ask for money, second if someone looks at our friendship as something special- who am l to try and correct them to think otherwise?
                      I have read of lottery winners donating tens of thousands of dollars to their church, local schools etc- you saying you are less important if your friend says not?

how secure you are with yourself,

what would security have to do with not accepting a gift? 

how would you come to that conclusion? not everyone are moochers Dupe Alert

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                        California
                        United States
                        Member #112364
                        June 17, 2011
                        661 Posts
                        Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't take it. I don't deserve any money and nor does anybody owe me anything if I win the lottery.

I am not going to mix friendship with money. It's a poisonous mix.

I would be just happy that they win a lottery and I would leave it at that.

NOTE: if your best friend buys you a house or a nice car, you are still responsible for paying property taxes. So, it could actually put a financial burden on you who may not have a lot of money.

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4987 Posts
                          Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

lol  Perhaps it is beause I do not have a sense of entitlement and I have a successful career, a nice home, a nice car, etc. You are greedy and will be one of these "friends" with a "you owe me" complex. Money would ruin many friendships and change the nature of the relationship. I value my friendships more than that! I value my friends for who they are, not for what they give me.

J'aime La France.

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4987 Posts
                            Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't take it. I don't deserve any money and nor does anybody owe me anything if I win the lottery.

I am not going to mix friendship with money. It's a poisonous mix.

I would be just happy that they win a lottery and I would leave it at that.

NOTE: if your best friend buys you a house or a nice car, you are still responsible for paying property taxes. So, it could actually put a financial burden on you who may not have a lot of money.

Amen redhot!  You know where the real value is!

J'aime La France.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                              California
                              United States
                              Member #112364
                              June 17, 2011
                              661 Posts
                              Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

I agree except 20 and 26.

Money would buy a peace of mind because you never have to worry about paying your rent or mortgage and put food on the table ever again.
                              Money would buy time to relax for the same reason. You now have time to relax because your most urgent necessities have been taken care of.