Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So what if you're best friend won the lottery??

Topic closed. 80 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
helpmewin's avatar - dandy
u$a
United States
Member #106665
February 22, 2011
19964 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I agree except 20 and 26.

Money would buy a peace of mind because you never have to worry about paying your rent or mortgage and put food on the table ever again.
Money would buy time to relax for the same reason. You now have time to relax because your most urgent necessities have been taken care of.

u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19964 Posts
    Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Money would buy a peace of mind because you never have to worry about paying your rent or mortgage and put food on the table ever again.
    Money would buy time to relax for the same reason. You now have time to relax because your most urgent necessities have been taken care of.

is this one better Smiley

u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19964 Posts
      Posted: April 29, 2013, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't take it. I don't deserve any money and nor does anybody owe me anything if I win the lottery.

I am not going to mix friendship with money. It's a poisonous mix.

I would be just happy that they win a lottery and I would leave it at that.

NOTE: if your best friend buys you a house or a nice car, you are still responsible for paying property taxes. So, it could actually put a financial burden on you who may not have a lot of money.

I Agree!

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

"Worry" is a choice. If your a worrier and win the lottery you will end up with 10X the things to worry about.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

lol  Perhaps it is beause I do not have a sense of entitlement and I have a successful career, a nice home, a nice car, etc. You are greedy and will be one of these "friends" with a "you owe me" complex. Money would ruin many friendships and change the nature of the relationship. I value my friendships more than that! I value my friends for who they are, not for what they give me.

Ok, so your so self-reliant that your too good to accept anyone's gift?

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Thumbs Down

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Take the gift, its the smart think to do. Yes Nod

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4146 Posts
                Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

lol  Perhaps it is beause I do not have a sense of entitlement and I have a successful career, a nice home, a nice car, etc. You are greedy and will be one of these "friends" with a "you owe me" complex. Money would ruin many friendships and change the nature of the relationship. I value my friendships more than that! I value my friends for who they are, not for what they give me.

For the sake of argement: 

You posted " You are greedy and will be one of these "friends" with a "you owe me" complex." 

if you have read some of my questions- you would know that you have no idea what you are talking about.l have asked questions such as " If you won x amount of millions will you walk away for good, my answer personally is YES.l will be done playing. So you Down ONE point  already.

** If you took the time to read the original question- you would not jump to the conclusions you have arrived at..for instance

What if you best friend wins the lottery and wants to buy you an expensive car or a house....Would you take it?

My answer is Yes- it is what your Best friend wants to do for you.. There is no mention of " ME ASKING FOR MONEY"- You down TWO points.

Would you feel that you taking advantage of them?

** No- l would not feel that l am " taking advantage of them"- the offer was MADE BY THEM- Not me.

Would you feel like you deserved it or not deserved it??

** No, l would not feel that l " deserved it" But your friend Does, otherwise he/she would not be doing it...

You down THREE points.

You are greedy and will be one of these "friends" with a "you owe me" complex.

** That of course is an opinion that you entitled too, but its not True. This question is born out of the fact that someone wants to do SOMETHING FOR YOU- not the other way round. The conclusions you have drawn is as you previously mentioned " Silly"

When l was in High School- a friend that l know from elementary school was given a gift vacation of a lifetime to Africa from his parents who just so happened to be wealthy. He asked me and another to join him. l was reluctant to go, not because l could not ask my parents to let me have the money, but like you " l felt l did not deserve it"- his parents who knew me from kindergarten pulled me aside one day and said " Jason would love to have you and Jeff on this trip- we are prepared to cover the expenses and its our gift to all of you"- after settling down l thought" Why not- here is someone whose friendship l value,we went and had a great time"- we are still great friends and our families have each other over for dinner and the like.. so once again you are Wrong.  Wow- how many points are you down now?

The Original post goes on to say...

I'd like to be the friend that could be able to offer advice that would help them in their decision making as I've done in the past rather than be the one saying spend spend spend.

** No one has said one stops being " the friend that could be able to offer advice that would help them in their decision making"

Ultimately- its not about the Money, you have to look beyond that.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19964 Posts
                    Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Down

Drum

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

For the sake of argement: 

You posted " You are greedy and will be one of these "friends" with a "you owe me" complex." 

if you have read some of my questions- you would know that you have no idea what you are talking about.l have asked questions such as " If you won x amount of millions will you walk away for good, my answer personally is YES.l will be done playing. So you Down ONE point  already.

** If you took the time to read the original question- you would not jump to the conclusions you have arrived at..for instance

What if you best friend wins the lottery and wants to buy you an expensive car or a house....Would you take it?

My answer is Yes- it is what your Best friend wants to do for you.. There is no mention of " ME ASKING FOR MONEY"- You down TWO points.

Would you feel that you taking advantage of them?

** No- l would not feel that l am " taking advantage of them"- the offer was MADE BY THEM- Not me.

Would you feel like you deserved it or not deserved it??

** No, l would not feel that l " deserved it" But your friend Does, otherwise he/she would not be doing it...

You down THREE points.

You are greedy and will be one of these "friends" with a "you owe me" complex.

** That of course is an opinion that you entitled too, but its not True. This question is born out of the fact that someone wants to do SOMETHING FOR YOU- not the other way round. The conclusions you have drawn is as you previously mentioned " Silly"

When l was in High School- a friend that l know from elementary school was given a gift vacation of a lifetime to Africa from his parents who just so happened to be wealthy. He asked me and another to join him. l was reluctant to go, not because l could not ask my parents to let me have the money, but like you " l felt l did not deserve it"- his parents who knew me from kindergarten pulled me aside one day and said " Jason would love to have you and Jeff on this trip- we are prepared to cover the expenses and its our gift to all of you"- after settling down l thought" Why not- here is someone whose friendship l value,we went and had a great time"- we are still great friends and our families have each other over for dinner and the like.. so once again you are Wrong.  Wow- how many points are you down now?

The Original post goes on to say...

I'd like to be the friend that could be able to offer advice that would help them in their decision making as I've done in the past rather than be the one saying spend spend spend.

** No one has said one stops being " the friend that could be able to offer advice that would help them in their decision making"

Ultimately- its not about the Money, you have to look beyond that.

Right.... You dont have to "deserve" a gift to recieve a gift.  You do however need to have a little faith in the person who is doing the giving and believe that they have thought it through and made a good decision. 

I suppose you may need a little faith in yourself that you wont change your whole attitude about your friend.

u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19964 Posts
                        Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4146 Posts

So what are you selling here Chimp?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3316 Posts

i have siomehow gottn into a deal where 2 of my pals get aston martins,. and i get  1 if either of them win.   but its not like its written anywhere  in legaleze.  i did discuss the idea of one of them winning, instad of me, and me having to suck it up. as my plans are me winning , not having to watch a mate  win and have to be a hanger on.

so i already have deals for  2 cars. and unless its in the 10's of millions i wont be buying anyone anything.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19964 Posts
                              Posted: April 29, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Right.... You dont have to "deserve" a gift to recieve a gift.  You do however need to have a little faith in the person who is doing the giving and believe that they have thought it through and made a good decision. 

I suppose you may need a little faith in yourself that you wont change your whole attitude about your friend.

santa tell me that every year Crying

SantaYou dont "deserve" a gift