Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So what if you're best friend won the lottery??

Topic closed. 80 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: April 30, 2013, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

I'd love it if my best friend wanted to give me some of her lottery win, but only if she was aware that anything above $15k would be taxable at the rate of 55%. (I think those numbers are correct;  they changed the gift tax exemptions last year)  If you bought someone a car for...say...$30k...you'd have to pay taxes on the other $15k. ...another $8250.  If you were married, then your spouse could claim the other half of the gift and you'd owe nothing in gift taxes.

If the shoe was on the other foot and I was the one winning the lottery, I'd want to be generous - as much as I could - but I'd also not want to pay any more taxes than I already had.  I would have already paid right at 40% in federal tax on my winnings and would be loathe to pay more.   (I don't want to sound like a cheapskate, but Uncle Sam ain't my favorite uncle these days)

Instead, I would give my friend needed medical help, such as an operation to ease her discomfort or required extensive dental work.  Those things can be funded tax-free as long as you directly pay the medical provider.  Also, if my friend wanted to go back to school, I could pay that tax free - again, if the payment was paid directly to the school. 

The amt. I won would make a difference;  if I won $100 million, then I wouldn't mind (too much) paying $1.55 million so my friend could be a millionaire too, but if I "only" won a million...then I'd still want to be generous, but would still not want to pay an outrageous amt. of taxes on my generosity.

I Agree! I was thinking mostly the same thing.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19895 Posts
    Posted: April 30, 2013, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

I'd love it if my best friend wanted to give me some of her lottery win, but only if she was aware that anything above $15k would be taxable at the rate of 55%. (I think those numbers are correct;  they changed the gift tax exemptions last year)  If you bought someone a car for...say...$30k...you'd have to pay taxes on the other $15k. ...another $8250.  If you were married, then your spouse could claim the other half of the gift and you'd owe nothing in gift taxes.

If the shoe was on the other foot and I was the one winning the lottery, I'd want to be generous - as much as I could - but I'd also not want to pay any more taxes than I already had.  I would have already paid right at 40% in federal tax on my winnings and would be loathe to pay more.   (I don't want to sound like a cheapskate, but Uncle Sam ain't my favorite uncle these days)

Instead, I would give my friend needed medical help, such as an operation to ease her discomfort or required extensive dental work.  Those things can be funded tax-free as long as you directly pay the medical provider.  Also, if my friend wanted to go back to school, I could pay that tax free - again, if the payment was paid directly to the school. 

The amt. I won would make a difference;  if I won $100 million, then I wouldn't mind (too much) paying $1.55 million so my friend could be a millionaire too, but if I "only" won a million...then I'd still want to be generous, but would still not want to pay an outrageous amt. of taxes on my generosity.

If you really wanted to share your prize with your best friend without paying all that extra taxes, you could include them on the claim form, that way they could pay the taxes from their share.  The only problem might be they would want a bigger share than you would be willing to assign them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: April 30, 2013, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

If you really wanted to share your prize with your best friend without paying all that extra taxes, you could include them on the claim form, that way they could pay the taxes from their share.  The only problem might be they would want a bigger share than you would be willing to assign them.

I Agree! Good point sharing the ticket.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19964 Posts
        Posted: April 30, 2013, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Good point sharing the ticket.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 30, 2013, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I was reffering to the toothless beggars on Beale street in Memphis who like to block the sidewalks. Hopefully the fake facades will wipe them out one day.

Oh, we consider Memphis part of Arkansas.

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2013, 7:08 am - IP Logged

Yeah but you'd have to split it even steven....they dont let you say "ok I want to give this person this amount and this person this amount" I dont want to split it I just want to give a little something....LOL

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
              Member #32537
              February 12, 2006
              698 Posts
              Posted: May 1, 2013, 9:58 am - IP Logged

Yeah but you'd have to split it even steven....they dont let you say "ok I want to give this person this amount and this person this amount" I dont want to split it I just want to give a little something....LOL

people its called a trust

lawyer can spell out who gets what

if i want to write   Person X gets 1 freaking penny

they get 1 freaking penny, rest can go to who u name in trust when u set it up

people just need to learn how to use a trust, it handles   sharing/split as best tool out there

god forbid anyone use's a lawyer thro and does it right..................

No bees, no honey.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                Nutley, New Jersey
                United States
                Member #131058
                August 1, 2012
                875 Posts
                Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:05 am - IP Logged

I don't see why you would have to split the prize 50-50. If a friend and myself bought a $1 mega millions ticket with money we pooled together, I paid 90 cents and my friend paid 10 cents, does that mean my friend is entitled to 50 percent of the money?

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                  Joplin MO
                  United States
                  Member #138489
                  January 28, 2013
                  190 Posts
                  Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:08 am - IP Logged

I think that depends on what state you're playing in.

In Missouri, you can split it using a fixed dollar amount, or a percentage ... on the claim form, plain and simple.

I don't understand what is going on in Kansas...  They say "Only one individual can claim a lottery ticket. Therefore, a group will have to designate one person to claim the prize.  The remaining group members will need to complete and sign the Multi-Winner form, enabling the Lottery to properly report winnings to the appropriate taxing authorities".  I need to call and ask... does that mean that the "one individual" will then have to pay gift taxes when splitting the money?

Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:18 am - IP Logged

I've thought about doing something like this in the past but the only problem I have is in a state where the winners' names are public record. The newspaper headlines might say, (my real name) and his friend so and so won the jackpot. I'd hate to have to expose a friend or family member to the press and make them deal with the media frenzy.

If I won anything more than $20 million, I'd most likely collect the prize myself so only my name ends up in the newspapers and gift the money to my friend or family member and just take the extra tax hit.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:24 am - IP Logged

Why would the government charge a gift tax on money that has already been taxed at 25%+ ?

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:27 am - IP Logged

If there is a smaller gift amount that is not taxed, why not give that amount each year until the objective is reached. Even if they took out a loan and paid it back with the gift it would be cheaper #@$&#@ %.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                          Joplin MO
                          United States
                          Member #138489
                          January 28, 2013
                          190 Posts
                          Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:37 am - IP Logged

If there is a smaller gift amount that is not taxed, why not give that amount each year until the objective is reached. Even if they took out a loan and paid it back with the gift it would be cheaper #@$&#@ %.

Starting 1/1/2013, you can give $14,000 per person without paying the gift tax.

I think that the whole "gift tax" issue is totally wrong ... but that is our greedy government for you!

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: May 1, 2013, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Starting 1/1/2013, you can give $14,000 per person without paying the gift tax.

I think that the whole "gift tax" issue is totally wrong ... but that is our greedy government for you!

I Agree! We need a stripped down government.

Nutley, New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #131058
                              August 1, 2012
                              875 Posts
                              Posted: May 1, 2013, 11:15 am - IP Logged

I Agree! We need a stripped down government.

they can start by getting rid of the TSA.