Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So what if you're best friend won the lottery??

Topic closed. 80 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 6 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: May 1, 2013, 11:19 am - IP Logged

they can start by getting rid of the TSA.

You could possibly get 90% public support on that idea. I think the entire DHS idea was idiotic. The whole idea of "security forces" reminds me of some middle eastern bs.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: May 1, 2013, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

I don't see why you would have to split the prize 50-50. If a friend and myself bought a $1 mega millions ticket with money we pooled together, I paid 90 cents and my friend paid 10 cents, does that mean my friend is entitled to 50 percent of the money?

It doesnt matter what you believe you should pay....a JUDGE could decide you need to end up splitting it...i.e William Bud Post....bought 100 tickets he gave 40 to a woman friend one of his hit woman friend sued Bud Post paid her half per judicial decision

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: May 1, 2013, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

You could possibly get 90% public support on that idea. I think the entire DHS idea was idiotic. The whole idea of "security forces" reminds me of some middle eastern bs.

Wow i thought I was the only one who thought the DHS was a waste of tax payers dollars....just more letters for the alphabet soup

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4791 Posts
        Posted: May 1, 2013, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I agree. I know a number of people who work there and supposedly it is not a great place to work. You have to remember you have other parties with jurisdiction like the FBI, states, DOJ, local police, even the military in an "event" type situation and the problem has always been with info sharing and cooperation among these individuals.This just added another layer to the turf wars or the old Al Haig claim of  "I am in charge here."

J'aime La France.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
          Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1276 Posts
          Posted: May 2, 2013, 1:34 am - IP Logged

Why would the government charge a gift tax on money that has already been taxed at 25%+ ?

I could be wrong - and that's always a distinct possibility - but from what I've read, the 25% is what is immediately withheld from the payout.  Anything over $400k is taxed at the rate of 39.6% this year, up from 35% last year.  So, you'd owe another 14.6% when tax day rolled around again. (not taking into account any other income you have)

I did some quick figuring on that the other day and if you won the lottery this time of year, you'd still have over half a year to pay the balance.  If you won the Powerball and socked away the rest of the amount you owed in a low-paying six month jumbo CD, you'd still make quite a bit of money.

The gub'ment gets theirs. The days of govt. for/of/by the people ended a century ago.  There are a lot of taxes that are unfair and IMHO, unconstitutional.  I don't own a very nice house, but I've lived in it 20 yrs. and have purchased it all over again, what with my property taxes.   I also don't understand why savings profits are taxed the way they are.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
           - George Orwell

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
            Nutley, New Jersey
            United States
            Member #131058
            August 1, 2012
            875 Posts
            Posted: May 2, 2013, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

I could be wrong - and that's always a distinct possibility - but from what I've read, the 25% is what is immediately withheld from the payout.  Anything over $400k is taxed at the rate of 39.6% this year, up from 35% last year.  So, you'd owe another 14.6% when tax day rolled around again. (not taking into account any other income you have)

I did some quick figuring on that the other day and if you won the lottery this time of year, you'd still have over half a year to pay the balance.  If you won the Powerball and socked away the rest of the amount you owed in a low-paying six month jumbo CD, you'd still make quite a bit of money.

The gub'ment gets theirs. The days of govt. for/of/by the people ended a century ago.  There are a lot of taxes that are unfair and IMHO, unconstitutional.  I don't own a very nice house, but I've lived in it 20 yrs. and have purchased it all over again, what with my property taxes.   I also don't understand why savings profits are taxed the way they are.

Good thing you are in Texas. Most states add state income tax on top of the 39.6% federal income tax.

The government will get theirs but the thing is, even with high taxes, the goverment deficit is never reduced because goverment spending is much larger than the amount of tax money brought in.