Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So really...Why can't money buy you happiness??

Topic closed. 107 replies. Last post 4 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 2 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: May 12, 2013, 1:27 am - IP Logged

Well for one thing this thread definitley brings the dinner scene in Scarface to mind!

"You're 50 years old, got a bag for a belly......take a look around at all these @!#$%  @#$&s in here..........."

As NanainNy pointed out, if you're deep in debt, sure money would make you happy- you'd be happy about clearing that up, but that's a temporary rush.

Just consider the threads when jackpot fever hits.......the mansions and otherwise unaffordable cars that get posted. Material things don't really bring happiness and often they only bring the desire for even more material things and the expected satisfaction from them never comes.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: May 12, 2013, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Most of the people on this thread and many similar threads before this love to use words like "Can't", "won't", or "don't", as If they speak for everyone out there.

Speak for yourselves. What you believe will happen If I get rich has nothing to do with the horror stories.

It's like saying, "Most people who smoke weed will eventually do harder drugs like Heroin". Absolute rubbish, I've smoked weed for 35 years and never touched Heroin or any other drug.

Speak for yourselves !

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #79502
      September 2, 2009
      6395 Posts
      Posted: May 12, 2013, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Money buying happiness?  I think it can. It can buy peace of mind.  For me,   Happiness isnt in HAVING money, its in HANDLING it.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19819 Posts
        Posted: May 12, 2013, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

Most of the people on this thread and many similar threads before this love to use words like "Can't", "won't", or "don't", as If they speak for everyone out there.

Speak for yourselves. What you believe will happen If I get rich has nothing to do with the horror stories.

It's like saying, "Most people who smoke weed will eventually do harder drugs like Heroin". Absolute rubbish, I've smoked weed for 35 years and never touched Heroin or any other drug.

Speak for yourselves !

do you have the munchies

Let it Snow Snowman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: May 12, 2013, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

do you have the munchies

LOL

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Sacramento, CA
            United States
            Member #142454
            May 12, 2013
            66 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2013, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

My Safeway never has it on the shelves and I can't ever find a manager to give me a rain check.

Seriously though, what money buys you is options. The question is, do you know yourself well enough to choose the options that will actually make you happy, as opposed to what friends/family/the media tells you that you want. The sad truth is that many people are lousy judges on the subject. Before you argue with me, please pull up current divorce statistics. Now, what was it that you were saying? Wink

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
              Republic of Texas
              United States
              Member #57557
              January 9, 2008
              1095 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

100% agree with Masone on this.

Money can't buy happiness with my lot in life, but I am already happy. Maybe not so secure financially, but money can solve that for sure. Money can't buy love, but I have plenty of love from my kids, parents, sisters, & four legged critters. Money cannot buy my family, and from what I hear often on this board, I am lucky to have the family that I have. 

Money will buy the things I'd like to have now & cannot afford, but not that I can't live without. I have everything I need with the money I have now. Money would afford me to do things that make me happier. It can allow my kids to live closer to me. It can allow me to participate in some hobbies I used to enjoy that are out of my post-divorce budget. Money would buy that private swimming pool (and the cost of maintenance) so I could go swimming without a bunch of other peoples' screaming kids or hormone raging teens disturbing an otherwise lovely day. Money can allow me to give more to the charities that I support. 

There's a lot of things money can buy. But there are more things that money will never be able to buy.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3855 Posts
                Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I'm happy now, but lots of money would allow me to quit my job, and that would make me even happier.

Now if money can't buy happiness, it can certainly buy me an extra 40 hours a week to pursue it.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: May 12, 2013, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I'm happy now, but lots of money would allow me to quit my job, and that would make me even happier.

Now if money can't buy happiness, it can certainly buy me an extra 40 hours a week to pursue it.

LOL now that the best answer I've heard yet haymaker!

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: May 12, 2013, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

do you have the munchies

In about an hour or so. I've eaten only slightly today. Marie Calendar to the rescue, lol. Salsbury Steak with Roasted shallots, mushrooms sprinkled with cheese and broiled to perfection. At least the picture on the box looks like it.

BreakingBad94's avatar - tumblr m7404b0Zj51qieieio1_250.jpg
                      Alpharetta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #140980
                      April 1, 2013
                      88 Posts
                      Posted: May 12, 2013, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Money can buy you happiness, but for how long? That is the question.

"You are a wealthy man now. One must learn to be rich. To be poor, anyone can manage. " -- Gus Fring from Breaking Bad

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I agree with this!  Money DOES buy happiness, because the idea of not having to be tied to a job would REALLY make me happy, even if I loved my job so much I'd do it for free.

---

United States
                          Member #106134
                          February 13, 2011
                          806 Posts
                          Posted: May 12, 2013, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Money CAN buy freedom, and it's the freedom that makes one happy.  Freedom from work, freedom from debt, freedom from a horrible marriage, etc.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: May 12, 2013, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

In about an hour or so. I've eaten only slightly today. Marie Calendar to the rescue, lol. Salsbury Steak with Roasted shallots, mushrooms sprinkled with cheese and broiled to perfection. At least the picture on the box looks like it.

Sorry I didn't catch you in time.

It tasted like a pile of hot, damp paper towels, didn't it?

I had a wife that gave that to me once.

ONCE!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2013, 9:28 am - IP Logged

money can buy you all the Xanax you need. Then it's nighty night Bed

I like XanaxWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908