Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should Gloria Share With Mindy?

Topic closed. 79 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Artist77.

Page 4 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
helpmewin's avatar - dandy
u$a
United States
Member #106665
February 22, 2011
19964 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2013, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Why she shouldn't listen to her lawyer, then why should she hire a lawyer in the first place?

I Agree! why does she need that attorney in the first place, of course he 's gonna say not to give anyone any money why? you ask because he wants all the money he can get for himself, BINGOThumbs Up

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: June 9, 2013, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Her attorney would not likely recommend giving Mindy any money unless she signed a non-disclosure agreement and agreed to confidentiality. Do you think Mindy could keep quiet?  Once this info became public, it would set up very bad precedent for every asking for money from her.it

One hires an attorney so the winner does not have to deal with the press and it allows one to hopefully fade a bit into the background. An attorney will handle all media inquires (which, after her initial press conference, will likely be just a no comment to from now on or no response at all) and people who want some of her money or want to sell her something. I know some people think well I will not need an attorney in that case but there is a saying that "a person who represents himself, has a fool for a client." This also gives her an out, if someone approaches her by allowing her to say call my attorney.  An no, an attorney is not going to be engaging in conversations with 99.9% of all these callers and running up a bill unless there are some potential legal claims (no matter how frivolous). An admin. asst. or paralegal will likely compile these calls and most will just end up answered (as they should be). There is no obligation for her attorney to even respond to these callers.

How much do you need to win in order to justify hiring an attorney? I hate to hire one if I only win 1 or 2 million dollars.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4974 Posts
      Posted: June 9, 2013, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

How much do you need to win in order to justify hiring an attorney? I hate to hire one if I only win 1 or 2 million dollars.

Good question. I think unless one needed a trust, etc. or had some other pending legal issues (a divorce, etc), I would generally only set up an hour consult meeting with one (for wins of $2 million or less) to see if I am missing anything and then just work from then on with the financial advisor (I want to minimize my taxes and maximize charitable donations...so I would have estimated taxes due, etc). But you will need a will (or an updated will) if you do not have one so you will have to meet with an attorney on that matter. If you die without a will, your money follows your states rule of intestate succession (dying without a will) and that sends your money/property down the family chain then after your death (spouse, kids, mother, father, etc. ...shares and family order varies according to the state).

J'aime La France.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6305 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2013, 9:42 am - IP Logged

Mindy was supposed to be buying tickets for an office pool which would make awarding her money far more complicated. Her coworkers would also want the money.

I hope they don't try to sue Gloria.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
          East of Columbus, OH
          United States
          Member #120843
          December 28, 2011
          451 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2013, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Gloria would not have won the PB jackpot, had Mindy not let her ahead in line.  So should Gloria share with Mindy and if so, how much?

I don't think she owes her anything.  But if it had been me that had won, after I got my finances in order, I would make Mindy debt free and put some money in a college fund for her daughter.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2013, 11:24 am - IP Logged

How bout... "You can keep my place in line if you will share whatever you win" That would have created a verbal contract if the old lady agreed, and there were plenty of witnesses.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2013, 11:25 am - IP Logged

I Agree! why does she need that attorney in the first place, of course he 's gonna say not to give anyone any money why? you ask because he wants all the money he can get for himself, BINGOThumbs Up

Who is the bigger crook, the lady who cut in line or the attorney?

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2013, 11:27 am - IP Logged

I don't think she owes her anything.  But if it had been me that had won, after I got my finances in order, I would make Mindy debt free and put some money in a college fund for her daughter.

I think a judge would give her half, just to make sure everything is fair and square.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3159 Posts
                  Posted: June 10, 2013, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I think a judge would give her half, just to make sure everything is fair and square.

She said a redraw would make her feel better.

MO
                    United States
                    Member #106928
                    February 27, 2011
                    925 Posts
                    Posted: June 10, 2013, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I think that should be her decision, but if it were me, I would.  I always share my winnings with someone in need.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: June 10, 2013, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

I think that should be her decision, but if it were me, I would.  I always share my winnings with someone in need.

I'm in need.

Remember that.

OK, we have a contract now.

I'll have my lawyers get in touch to get the details worked out (I'm fine with half).

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6305 Posts
                        Posted: June 10, 2013, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Mindy was supposed to be buying tickets for an office pool which would make awarding her money far more complicated. Her coworkers would also want the money.

I looked for an article stating she was buying for an office pool, I can't find anything. What?

I Love Pink & Green 1908

u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19964 Posts
                          Posted: June 10, 2013, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I looked for an article stating she was buying for an office pool, I can't find anything. What?

where have you been the whole story has changedGreen laugh

u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19964 Posts
                            Posted: June 10, 2013, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Who is the bigger crook, the lady who cut in line or the attorney?

The Lottery is the Crook don't blame the peopleHit With Stick

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4974 Posts
                              Posted: June 10, 2013, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Ronnie, I really hope you consult an attorney if you ever win a big JP. There is no basis for a legal claim here and the judge would dismiss the matter with prejudice. There is no basis in case law or equitable relief to support a claim nor was there any type of verbal contract. That is not how the judicial system works.

J'aime La France.