Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Semi private jets

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Jill34786.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1496 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Buy a nice home or dream home, a few cars, pay off bills, help family and help people in real need.  Than, put youself on a comfortable budget so you want lose your money in 5 years or less.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Like most other folks in here, I've fantasized about what I'd do w/ the money.  I've never really considered buying a Learjet, though; not only are they outrageously expensive, so is the upkeep - maintenance, inspections, hanger fees and unless you learned to fly, you'll have to pay someone to pilot it, plus a co-pilot.  I still like to look at planes, though.

I really doubt I'd fly all that much if I won the lottery.  I probably would opt for air travel over a ship if I wanted to go to..say Europe or Australia...but I think the enjoyment is more in the trip than the destination.  An RV would be nice for trips to the lake (the best way to "rough it")  but I'd prefer to stay in hotels/motels rather than wrestle one of those huge things on the road, esp. through traffic.  Like planes, though, I do like to look at them and have d/l quite a bit of information in PDF from Winnebago.  (b/c if I won a "smaller" lottery, I might just buy one and live in it)

I get free magazine subscriptions from freebie sites and one I loved was Yachting.   They're like jets, though, cost a lot to buy and keep and unless you lived on it or rented it out, it would be sitting there for most of the year eating up your money.

Yes, for all the reasons you mention I would never own a jet,

but a really huge win would have me considering one of the clubs like Netjet etc.

As for the RV I would'nt rent the model that's bigger then a city bus,

but rather the one that's a little bigger then a delivery van, even looks like a van from the front.

BTW there was a winner that was featured on LCML that had a really big RV, I guess it was no big deal to him,

he's a retired truck driver !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
      Texas Panhandle
      United States
      Member #136843
      December 20, 2012
      1269 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2013, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes, for all the reasons you mention I would never own a jet,

but a really huge win would have me considering one of the clubs like Netjet etc.

As for the RV I would'nt rent the model that's bigger then a city bus,

but rather the one that's a little bigger then a delivery van, even looks like a van from the front.

BTW there was a winner that was featured on LCML that had a really big RV, I guess it was no big deal to him,

he's a retired truck driver !

I remember that one!   Wasn't that also the one where his wife had lost a BUNCH of weight?  I've read most lottery players gain weight after winning, can understand why, too.

I'm with you about the smaller RV.  If I ever do win the lottery and fly, I'm certainly going to splurge on First Class.

After another thread about past lottery winners and how they wanted to increase their winnings by investing,  then this one about flying, I was reminded of the guy who had a scheduled meeting with (I think) the financial firm Cantor Fitzgerald in the WTC on 9/11.  He said he cancelled his flight and the meeting...good thing he did.  Out of all the episodes, I'd like to see that one again.

United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: September 4, 2013, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I remember that one!   Wasn't that also the one where his wife had lost a BUNCH of weight?  I've read most lottery players gain weight after winning, can understand why, too.

I'm with you about the smaller RV.  If I ever do win the lottery and fly, I'm certainly going to splurge on First Class.

After another thread about past lottery winners and how they wanted to increase their winnings by investing,  then this one about flying, I was reminded of the guy who had a scheduled meeting with (I think) the financial firm Cantor Fitzgerald in the WTC on 9/11.  He said he cancelled his flight and the meeting...good thing he did.  Out of all the episodes, I'd like to see that one again.

Yes, that's the one, she was dangerously overweight and had to diet or die.

30 some years ago I got to fly 1st class for coach $

2 unattended minors had seats in 1st class and the airlines did'nt permit that.

The attendant came in coach and said I need 2 seats together through to Los angeles, my GF put her hand up, the attendant said come w/me

I said to GF why did you do that, they're gonna kick us of the plane for some rich people, LOL

they took us to 1st class.

My stepdaughter had a freind that worked at the WTC, he did'nt go to work on 9/11 B/C he had a hangover,

who says drinking is bad ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: September 4, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

i would rather buy shares in one of those companies for 5-10mil. then i can fly unlimited anywhere .so it would take at least 50mil $ prize  after paying the gov. to do this.

Wait, are you saying that shareholders fly for free ?

b/c that's even better, own stock, collect divs. and fly free,

sounds to good to be true.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4105 Posts
            Posted: September 4, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

What is a semi private jet, l thought its either private or commercial. .

United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3854 Posts
              Posted: September 5, 2013, 10:35 am - IP Logged

What is a semi private jet, l thought its either private or commercial. .

Google netjets or metrojets.

You may not have heard of it B/C it's very expensive,

but a lot less expensive then owning your own jet.

Edit: as I was reveiwing this post an add for Light jets popped up, $2500 an hour.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                United States
                Member #50210
                March 1, 2007
                843 Posts
                Posted: September 5, 2013, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Google netjets or metrojets.

You may not have heard of it B/C it's very expensive,

but a lot less expensive then owning your own jet.

Edit: as I was reveiwing this post an add for Light jets popped up, $2500 an hour.

The $2500 an hour for a light jet is a teaser rate. The actual cost on a one-way flight will run you at least time and a half because of the empty leg flight plus you have other taxes and fees making the out of pocket cost over $4000.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: September 5, 2013, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

The $2500 an hour for a light jet is a teaser rate. The actual cost on a one-way flight will run you at least time and a half because of the empty leg flight plus you have other taxes and fees making the out of pocket cost over $4000.

$4,000 to not lose my luggage, to actually get to use SILVERware when I eat, not aggravated by someones screaming kids or them kicking my seatback, actually getting to where Im trying to go without changing planes and not missing a connector flight because the one Im one was late, I could keep going on...$4,000 is really sounding like a bargain....even if I didn't win the lottery LOL

United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3854 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2013, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Thrifty,

Thanks for the stars !

United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3854 Posts
                      Posted: September 10, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I'm not surprised at the teaser rate tactic,

but still If you had in excess of, say $20 Mils.

would'nt you want the experience of at least one of these pampered flights ?

Could the empty leg flight be avoided by not being ridged w/your flight time ?

United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3854 Posts
                        Posted: September 12, 2013, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

$4,000 to not lose my luggage, to actually get to use SILVERware when I eat, not aggravated by someones screaming kids or them kicking my seatback, actually getting to where Im trying to go without changing planes and not missing a connector flight because the one Im one was late, I could keep going on...$4,000 is really sounding like a bargain....even if I didn't win the lottery LOL

Yea. now that's what I'm talkin about, how much is it worth to avoid the BS and nonsense, or is there another way ?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: September 13, 2013, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Na, UK is pretty small so no need to fly to get around the country and if I went on vacation abroad then it would just be upgraded to extra leg room. I wouldn't dream of giving airlines like 5K just for 1st class, not worth it and they are ripping you off. All I care about is a little extra leg room and that isn't much.

I take it you have never flown first class or did so on Iberia. It is so worth it to fly business or first class on flights longer than 8 hours. From both a comfort and productivity standpoint, flying at the front of the tube is worth it.

in response to the question, if I won either MM tonight or PB ob Saturday, I would use a service like Net Jets. but I have watched a few episodes of Airplane Repo to know that buying a jet is not the way to go.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
                            Member #50210
                            March 1, 2007
                            843 Posts
                            Posted: September 13, 2013, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I'm not surprised at the teaser rate tactic,

but still If you had in excess of, say $20 Mils.

would'nt you want the experience of at least one of these pampered flights ?

Could the empty leg flight be avoided by not being ridged w/your flight time ?

Not all chartered flights are pampered. If you book a light or medium charter, a stewardess is not provided. The big advantage is the ability to fly in and out of a small airport with 6-7 of your friends/family along with your pets with virtually no hassle. The light jets offer no headroom whatsoever...most only have a ceiling height of about 4-feet and space is a premium.

Leg room and seats are comparable to commercial business/1st class seating. The empty leg flight fee cannot be avoided unless you fly back out the same day.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
                              Member #50210
                              March 1, 2007
                              843 Posts
                              Posted: September 13, 2013, 9:50 am - IP Logged

I take it you have never flown first class or did so on Iberia. It is so worth it to fly business or first class on flights longer than 8 hours. From both a comfort and productivity standpoint, flying at the front of the tube is worth it.

in response to the question, if I won either MM tonight or PB ob Saturday, I would use a service like Net Jets. but I have watched a few episodes of Airplane Repo to know that buying a jet is not the way to go.

I Agree! Flying business/first-class on long flights is extremely comforting especially on long flights. We travel overseas frequently and being able to actually lay back and sleep is well worth it for me and my husband.

Net Jets is a fractional ownership and extremely expensive when compared to conventional charters.