Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Semi private jets

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Jill34786.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3856 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2013, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Not all chartered flights are pampered. If you book a light or medium charter, a stewardess is not provided. The big advantage is the ability to fly in and out of a small airport with 6-7 of your friends/family along with your pets with virtually no hassle. The light jets offer no headroom whatsoever...most only have a ceiling height of about 4-feet and space is a premium.

Leg room and seats are comparable to commercial business/1st class seating. The empty leg flight fee cannot be avoided unless you fly back out the same day.

You sound very well informed on travel, have you ever gone on a Amtrak trip where you have your own sleeper cabin ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #112369
    June 17, 2011
    187 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2013, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

You sound very well informed on travel, have you ever gone on a Amtrak trip where you have your own sleeper cabin ?

Hey hay,

If it helps you to get as much info about it as you can:

I reserved sleeper cars for my family once and it was excellent.  My wife took a trip with our daughter and granddaughter and they said it was great.

They could take a nap or lay down and read, and especially at night, it was a nice amenity, because trying to sleep in a seat, even if partially reclined, is nothing like having an actual bed.

So at least from this family's perspective, it gets a thumbs up as a way to travel.  An RV is the best way, IMO, because it gives all those advantages and then some.  But if you don't want to have to drive, a sleeper car is a nice way to go.

Enjoy the great roads and rails of America!

Roadtrip!

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
      Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
      United States
      Member #50210
      March 1, 2007
      843 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2013, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I have never personally traveled by train but have heard many positive stories from friends who have. Another poster mentioned his experience and it mirrors what I have been told.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
        Member #50210
        March 1, 2007
        843 Posts
        Posted: September 28, 2013, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Hey hay,

I reserved sleeper cars for my family once and it was excellent.  My wife took a trip with our daughter and granddaughter and they said it was great.

They could take a nap or lay down and read, and especially at night, it was a nice amenity, because trying to sleep in a seat, even if partially reclined, is nothing like having an actual bed.

So at least from this family's perspective, it gets a thumbs up as a way to travel.  An RV is the best way, IMO, because it gives all those advantages and then some.  But if you don't want to have to drive, a sleeper car is a nice way to go.

Roadtrip!

"An RV is the best way"

I agree! We have enjoyed ours for a little over 3 years and have been up and down the east coast as well as part of the Midwest. Only issue we have encountered are some campgrounds do not have concrete/paved pads or pull through.

Other than that it sure is nice to pack the entire family and pets while enjoying sightseeing this wonderful country of ours. Smile

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: October 2, 2013, 2:16 am - IP Logged

Hey hay,

Roadtrip!

Epistrophy, 

nice to hear from you,

you did,nt mention it, but I believe that also Includes a private bath and shower ?

Ya, that makes a big difference on long trips !

YAY, roadtrip, however it can be done.  Cool

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: October 2, 2013, 3:08 am - IP Logged

How big a win would it take to justify joining one of those clubs where you buy time on flights ?

No matter how big the win I would never want to own my own jet.

My wife talks about buying a RV, but I don't need a giant driveway decoration, so I say when we go somewhere we'll just rent one,

no maintenance, no headaches, and you always get a new vehicle, same w/jet membership.

It would be nice to have a car pick you up at your house, drive you right out to the jet, and you step aboard,

bypassing all the airport bull!#%* what's that worth ?

"My wife talks about buying a RV, but I don't need a giant driveway decoration, so I say when we go somewhere we'll just rent one,

no maintenance, no headaches, and you always get a new vehicle"

Where are they renting new RV?  In my area the rent is $1500 a week for a used 30ft Class A motor home.  I've seen end of the year sales on similar size new motor homes for $70-80K.  They aren't diesel pushers but neither are the ones for rent.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: October 2, 2013, 7:39 am - IP Logged

Jet Blue announced yesterday that they will have a first-class called "mint" where you can get an actual laydown seat and a partial cubby with a door and your own personal 15" flat screen w/headphones....now that would be cool for those long international flights

United States
                Member #50210
                March 1, 2007
                843 Posts
                Posted: October 2, 2013, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Epistrophy, 

nice to hear from you,

you did,nt mention it, but I believe that also Includes a private bath and shower ?

Ya, that makes a big difference on long trips !

YAY, roadtrip, however it can be done.  Cool

"but I believe that also includes a private bath and shower"

It's also nice to be able to prepare a meal and do laundry while cruising down the Interstate.

United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: October 3, 2013, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

"My wife talks about buying a RV, but I don't need a giant driveway decoration, so I say when we go somewhere we'll just rent one,

no maintenance, no headaches, and you always get a new vehicle"

Where are they renting new RV?  In my area the rent is $1500 a week for a used 30ft Class A motor home.  I've seen end of the year sales on similar size new motor homes for $70-80K.  They aren't diesel pushers but neither are the ones for rent.

Ok, maybe not new, but fleet maintained. BTW do you know how long they keep them for rentals,

or how many miles before they decommission them ?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: October 3, 2013, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Ok, maybe not new, but fleet maintained. BTW do you know how long they keep them for rentals,

or how many miles before they decommission them ?

I don't know but since many models are made for several years without a major design change I assume they are decommissioned because of miles driven rather than age.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5121 Posts
                      Posted: October 3, 2013, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Flying business/first-class on long flights is extremely comforting especially on long flights. We travel overseas frequently and being able to actually lay back and sleep is well worth it for me and my husband.

Net Jets is a fractional ownership and extremely expensive when compared to conventional charters.

JL:

"U">>>>>>>>>>>>know charter R private jet can't

"B">>>>>>>>>>>>BEAT but, GOD HELP^

"D">>>>>Cattle Car airlines N<USA!

DanceJack-in-the-BoxDance

Milwaukee, WI
                        United States
                        Member #3131
                        December 27, 2003
                        665 Posts
                        Posted: October 3, 2013, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Put 1000s of gallons of Kerosene in the air just to transport ME. F NO!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4792 Posts
                          Posted: October 3, 2013, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I always think of I love Lucy when someone says sleeper cabin...lol. They were somewhere in Europe I think.

J'aime La France.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5121 Posts
                            Posted: October 3, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Put 1000s of gallons of Kerosene in the air just to transport ME. F NO!

mark:

Do U wear shoes????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????NNN2013?????

Do U wear clothes?????????bath?????????use a kerosene STOVE?????????>>>>>>RRRRRRUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDD>THE?

APE>MAN????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????RRRRRRUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDD>THE?

APE>>>>woman????????BUT,<<<<<<<<NO<<<<APE WOMAN would slave over a HOT^^kerosene 4UR<cheap A$$<<<!!

LP member's>look up CHINA>>! trains>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LP member's>THEY GIT "D" JOB DN>>>!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!

Thinking of...ThudThinking of...

United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3856 Posts
                              Posted: October 10, 2013, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I always think of I love Lucy when someone says sleeper cabin...lol. They were somewhere in Europe I think.

Are you thinking of the movie "The long long trailer ?