Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are there any advantages to NOT being anonymous?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 3 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2013, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Pfffffffffffffffffttt!   LOL

Classic...again your comment is better suited to you

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 6, 2013, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Classic...again your comment is better suited to you

Pfffffffffffffftttt! LOL

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: December 6, 2013, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Pfffffffffffffftttt! LOL

Could not have described you better myself

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: December 6, 2013, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Pfffffffffffffffttt! LOL

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2013, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Pfffffffffffffffttt! LOL

Oh its you.. It is so you

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: December 6, 2013, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Oh its you.. It is so you

Pfffffffffftttttt!!!   LOL

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3159 Posts
              Posted: December 6, 2013, 10:29 am - IP Logged

When you win big money, you attract all kinds of attention including the wrong kind.  Lurking     Money does weird things to people.

wrong kind.

I Agree!    No one wants lines of Lawyers at your door.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: December 6, 2013, 11:04 am - IP Logged

wrong kind.

I Agree!    No one wants lines of Lawyers at your door.

Lines of lawyers...

The ultimate nightmare.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  919 Posts
                  Posted: December 6, 2013, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

I can't see any advantage congruent with publicizing a jackpot win.

And good arguments can be made for either side of this issue too.

But against my own personal preference for privacy, I'd have to go with the outing of winners.

And that's simply because I don't fully trust the present or future muckety-mucks enough to refrain from the temptation to capitalize on what seems to me to be an easy avenue for potential corruption.

And if I can imagine it, you can bet somebody else has already figured out a way to do it.

Like Norton said: "The wheels are always turnin', Ralphy boy."

I Agree! If Illinois allowed anonymous claims, you could rest assured that only the corrupt politicians and their cronies would be the winners of the state jackpots. If Iowa would have allowed anonymous claim, then that Hot Lotto jackpot would have been claimed instead of being denied when the guy's backstory sounded fishy. There are ways to handle claiming a prize non anonymously, but the end result is yes, the person's life will change. One could claim prize wearing disguise so that even though your name is made public, people won't visually recognize you. And chances are, only your family and friends know what you look like. DOH! I forgot about facebook and Google. Oh well. The other measure to deal with it is to move into a gated community and to a different state. When I win, I would also become a super traveling man. Makes it kind of hard to get bugged when one is always on the go.  I figure that after awhile of no responses to mailings and absence from stateside residence that the beggars and hangers-on will move on with their lives.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: December 6, 2013, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I can't see any advantage at all by not claiming anonymously.

You'd probably spend the rest of your life regretting it.

As for going public and the fanfare is short lived, that's not what the guy in New Mexico that won said. Remember him? Stacks of mail, people asking him to cover their $75,000 credit card bills, sponsoring them in the World series of Poker, etc...?

And I'm going to say it once again - it's time for the Jackpot Winners Protection Program. Representatives from the program would handle all attempted contacts, etc....

OldSchoolPa,

Remember the female pharmacist from Illinois that won the MM? Hired professional make up people to disguise her. She told the lottery commission that since whe was a pharmacist going public undisguised would just bring a bunch of malpractice suits against her.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                      SW Florida
                      United States
                      Member #145673
                      August 11, 2013
                      152 Posts
                      Posted: December 6, 2013, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

The only "advantages" to publicly claiming lottery winnings has been mentioned before, i.e., to prove to those who don't trust that the lottery is on the up and up that it is, and to stroke egos.  Some public winners I've seen have seemed quite thrilled at the limelight.  Good for them.  That wouldn't be me.  I'd have an escape plan as soon as I did my duty in front of the press. I've heard enough horror stories to know I'd not want to be known as a lottery winner.  One of the worst was with that poor Shakespeare bloke, who had people show up at his door saying they'd just spent the last of their gas money to get to his house, so he'd better give them money to get them to leave (extortion!).  There are some really creepy people out there with no shame.

Maybe Australians are far more trusting than Americans because when I lived in Australia, nobody ever went around saying the lottery was fixed or that the winners aren't true winners, so the winners have to be public.  You can be anonymous there, and 99.9% choose to be so.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                        Rochester
                        United States
                        Member #103282
                        January 1, 2011
                        606 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2013, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Well said Pita! There are some whackos out there. And I have my escape plan ready too. Smash

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          23242 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2013, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

The only "advantages" to publicly claiming lottery winnings has been mentioned before, i.e., to prove to those who don't trust that the lottery is on the up and up that it is, and to stroke egos.  Some public winners I've seen have seemed quite thrilled at the limelight.  Good for them.  That wouldn't be me.  I'd have an escape plan as soon as I did my duty in front of the press. I've heard enough horror stories to know I'd not want to be known as a lottery winner.  One of the worst was with that poor Shakespeare bloke, who had people show up at his door saying they'd just spent the last of their gas money to get to his house, so he'd better give them money to get them to leave (extortion!).  There are some really creepy people out there with no shame.

Maybe Australians are far more trusting than Americans because when I lived in Australia, nobody ever went around saying the lottery was fixed or that the winners aren't true winners, so the winners have to be public.  You can be anonymous there, and 99.9% choose to be so.

That must be it Pita..the trust issue. I don't know why people feel the need to see it to believe it. Maybe it's just the

mind frame: Get something for a whole lotta nothing too. Win money, instant friends. Win money, instant popularity.

It's what lies beneath the smiling faces of those friends that matters most: I'm going to get mine no matter how I do it.

How'd some of us get so rotten? It's a user society...see it, take it, use it, toss it. Disposable morals, virtues and character.

One size fits all depending on when you want it to fit and batteries are not included means about as much as take them

from the shelf, open them and put them in your new device...heck, you SHOULD get batteries with what you buy.

The American Dream has changed. It's no longer dream and work for what you desire. It's take it any way you can and

if it's someone else's, heck, you probably deserve it anyway cause they sure in heck don't.

We lost our marbles and every good thing along with it. The ones crying foul over not knowing who won are the ones

who are out to scam them, hate them, resent them and hurt them...and determine if they deserve it at all.

THAT is even more dangerous than scamming...that'll get a person killed. Yeah, Shakespeare....easy prey and an

easy target. The poor guy. People will forget about him, some will always think it was his fault he died, some will say

he deserved it for being so stupid/generous/incapable of saying no/naive. Who deserves to die because they have money?

No one. Until the sicko's change their thinking, it'll only get worse and worse. It's pretty scary winning money anymore these

days.

357 369

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2013, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Pfffffffffftttttt!!!   LOL

Yep keep describing yourself

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                              Member #142777
                              May 18, 2013
                              263 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2013, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I always hear people talking about why lottery winners should claim anonymously (if their state allows it). But what advantages does a public winner have?

The answer is yes if the winner meets 3 criteria.  First, the jackpot is HUGE.  Second, you are the SOLE winner.  Third, you have a unique TALENT to market in that small time slot that you are on camera and the world is watching.

Look at all these reality shows where everyone is trying to get tv time to turn it into big money.  Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton are famous for being famous.  Thats it.  No talent.  However, they found a niche and made millions selling perfumes, clothing lines, and wealthy marriages.

Say your a great singer but can't catch a break with exposure.  Sing a song at the press conference and it might get you a recording contract or a tv appearance.  Say you are good looking and have thoughts of acting.  If you come to the press conference dressed and looking great you might get a modeling contract or a soap opera try out.  Say you have a comic talent.  Prove it at the press conference and you are sure to get called by Jay Leno & Co. to appear on their show. 

Say your a good talker.  You might show some brilliance taking a political stance sounding like a Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton and might be contacted to run for the Senate after you appear on Fox News or CNN if they think your marketable.  Then you might start writing books.  Who knew about Sarah Palin before she was picked by John McCaan hmm?  She turned that into millions appearing on Fox News, giving speeches, and writing books.

Bottom line is you need to be a BIG winner or the world won't be putting your press conferece on tv and social media.  If your splitting it 3 to 30 ways even with a big pot your just one in the crowd.  However, if you win a BIG one and you have talent put it to use.  They say everyone gets 5 minutes of fame.

What did the promoter say to Rocky before he agreed to the fight with Apollo Creed?  "It's the chance of a lifetime.....You can't let it pass by!"

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!