Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are there any advantages to NOT being anonymous?

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 3 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
Rochester
United States
Member #103282
January 1, 2011
603 Posts
Posted: December 7, 2013, 9:20 am - IP Logged

You made a lot of good points Teddi!Thumbs Up

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2013, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

The ability for others to see that the winner is someone real.

Others get the chance to follow your story.

You don't have to bother telling your friends and family you won.

You get a lot of new friends and family.

All the reality TV shows would already know who you are.

As you can see, there really isn't any advantage to the winner. It benefits everyone else and that's it.

I could actually get on board with a plan that would make the winner anonymous for two years and then their name would go public. That allows the winner to settle in a little bit to their new money and make plans to deal with the stresses that may come with being a known lottery winner.

United States
      Member #124493
      March 14, 2012
      7023 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2013, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

I always hear people talking about why lottery winners should claim anonymously (if their state allows it). But what advantages does a public winner have?

Kim Kardasian or some other celebrity might want to date you after their next divorce?Jester Laugh

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: December 7, 2013, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

A friend says she'll stand there grinning from ear to ear for her press conference as a way to give the finger to her enemies without having to actually talk to them.  She has a point, I'd be a little galled if a person I really hated won a huge jackpot.

Personally though, the jab at people who hate me wouldn't be worth the loss of privacy.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: December 7, 2013, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

You are a dumb uneducated moron as usual. Where did I mention my medium?  And  I have two reps...lol and a book deal. i also counsel and teach other artists and have work in museum collections.  Making jokes about breast cancer is par for the course for you.  And for those "real" celebrities you and that other dummy referenced, they made their money by moving up the chain with their talents. They were not handed millions and then created a career. It appears that you have never even attended an art function and legitimate artists do not sell on ebay. Expand your horizons in life and acquire a little bit of sophistication.

The real celebrities have talent and the point was that if you have talent people dont care if you made your money or whatever...they apprieciate your "art", so they buy it or tickets to see it, yeah the celebrites/artists worked their way up but people didnt say once they got there "Oh they make enough money without me adding to it" and not pay for the "art" that would be ridiculous...If you really have talent people want to see you use it period

Think's avatar - lightbulb
            Marquette, MI
            United States
            Member #20541
            August 20, 2005
            705 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2013, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

Well, that's an interesting variation of the Freudian Slip.

If a Freudian slips they shouldn't do it on camera cause everyone can see that they are faking and then they cant file a lawsuit.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: December 7, 2013, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Well, that's an interesting variation of the Freudian Slip.

Oh, wait a minute.  I'm sorry.  You meant that the chicks knocking on the door were wearing Freudian Slips...Ive never seen em wear those kind of slips before...I will have to google that to see what they look like.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: December 7, 2013, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! If Illinois allowed anonymous claims, you could rest assured that only the corrupt politicians and their cronies would be the winners of the state jackpots. If Iowa would have allowed anonymous claim, then that Hot Lotto jackpot would have been claimed instead of being denied when the guy's backstory sounded fishy. There are ways to handle claiming a prize non anonymously, but the end result is yes, the person's life will change. One could claim prize wearing disguise so that even though your name is made public, people won't visually recognize you. And chances are, only your family and friends know what you look like. DOH! I forgot about facebook and Google. Oh well. The other measure to deal with it is to move into a gated community and to a different state. When I win, I would also become a super traveling man. Makes it kind of hard to get bugged when one is always on the go.  I figure that after awhile of no responses to mailings and absence from stateside residence that the beggars and hangers-on will move on with their lives.

The Iowa Hot Lotto ticket had nothing to do with anonymity. Anonymity means the lottery doesn't announce the winner's name to the public. It doesn't mean the winner doesn't need to identify themself to the lottery, it doesn't mean the lottery doesn't do the same security checks, and it doesn't mean the lottery won't be send W-2G forms to the state tax department an the IRS.

Even with anonymity I wouldn't worry so much about lottery officials trying to keep the money for themselves. It's just too big a conspiracy to keep secret, especially  when one person decides they should have gotten a bigger share. It woud also require a big conspiracy, but I'd be more concerned that true-believer lottery officials might try to  claim their state had a winner when it didn't, and simply funnel the money into the state treasury. It would help the state, and by increasing profit it would help make them look good. That's especially useful if the state pays bonuses to top lottery officials.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: December 7, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

There is one huge advantage to having to do the dog and pony show. After this run rolls to $900 million and sets a new cash record where I'm the only winner, I expect all that publicity to increase sales of my new $29.95 manual on how to win the lottery by at least a couple of million copies.

United States
                    Member #124493
                    March 14, 2012
                    7023 Posts
                    Posted: December 7, 2013, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

The real celebrities have talent and the point was that if you have talent people dont care if you made your money or whatever...they apprieciate your "art", so they buy it or tickets to see it, yeah the celebrites/artists worked their way up but people didnt say once they got there "Oh they make enough money without me adding to it" and not pay for the "art" that would be ridiculous...If you really have talent people want to see you use it period

"Real Celebrities" dont have any more talent than thats which is already inherent in any other living human being.

"Real" Celebrities are the product of intention. Charles Manson is a celebrity to many people.

You are only famous because you choose to showcase your pea<snip> feathers.  Whereas, I try to hide my colors because of all the parasites.

Idea

(The peahens dont care for the parasites either)Evil Looking

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
                      Member #124493
                      March 14, 2012
                      7023 Posts
                      Posted: December 7, 2013, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Oh, wait a minute.  I'm sorry.  You meant that the chicks knocking on the door were wearing Freudian Slips...Ive never seen em wear those kind of slips before...I will have to google that to see what they look like.

May be those slips are made of silk?

And if they were, I hope that silk came from a goat tit. That might be progress.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                        Member #142777
                        May 18, 2013
                        263 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2013, 1:01 am - IP Logged

You are a dumb uneducated moron as usual. Where did I mention my medium?  And  I have two reps...lol and a book deal. i also counsel and teach other artists and have work in museum collections.  Making jokes about breast cancer is par for the course for you.  And for those "real" celebrities you and that other dummy referenced, they made their money by moving up the chain with their talents. They were not handed millions and then created a career. It appears that you have never even attended an art function and legitimate artists do not sell on ebay. Expand your horizons in life and acquire a little bit of sophistication.

I see your still carrying around your inferiority complex.  All that hatred is going to burn you out.  Get off the prescription pills and get some exercise with a good diet.  It will really help the attitude sweet cakes.

Well, there goes my 10%!Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4786 Posts
                          Posted: December 8, 2013, 7:41 am - IP Logged

I see your still carrying around your inferiority complex.  All that hatred is going to burn you out.  Get off the prescription pills and get some exercise with a good diet.  It will really help the attitude sweet cakes.

Well, there goes my 10%!Big Grin

Get a job you lazy boozing alcoholic.  Your attitude towards women says a lot.  Try to finish you GED and you might learn how to relate to women. I bet you are about 55-65 years old, with a beer gut, and you resent the establishment. You seem resentful of my accomplishments. Is the "man" keeping you down?  You are quickly becoming one of the top 3 of the most despised people on LP.  BY the way, agents don't take 10% but a rube like you would not know that fact. Sell art on ebay???? What a total rube. You made a total fool of yourself.

J'aime La France.

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2013, 8:14 am - IP Logged

I always hear people talking about why lottery winners should claim anonymously (if their state allows it). But what advantages does a public winner have?

What if it was if you win you must have the public press conference or only take 1% of the annunity amount if you want to stay anonymous, and the rest would just roll over to the next drawing...That would be like taking the 3.4 million to stay anonymous or would you throw away the 344 million annunity...LOL...If I won I'd say "bring on the press conference, I have no problem saying no!"

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40376 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Not a single advantage, not one!

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"