Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if invited to join a lottery pool at work: would you or not?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 3 years ago by half-fast.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4145 Posts
Posted: December 9, 2013, 10:44 am - IP Logged

What do you see as a plus or minus?
Personally: There is no way l would join unless l had a gun pointed to my head.
Playing solo relieves one of the hassle of worrying who else is gonna complain about who knows what.Some may want the opportunity of giving a press conference,  which l am totally against- and the list goes on.
Thanks but no thanks- now & forever.

* Have a Great week People.

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
    Ontario
    Canada
    Member #137286
    December 31, 2012
    93 Posts
    Posted: December 9, 2013, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Years ago I only played my own numbers and never had anything to do with the office lottery pool. Then one weekend the jackpot was huge and I was invited to join the office pool, and I did because I didn't want to be the only one not dancing around Monday morning if they had won. I've been apart of the office pool ever since.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: December 9, 2013, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Playing solo relieves one of the hassle of worrying who else is gonna complain about who knows what.Some may want the opportunity of giving a press conference,  which l am totally against- and the list goes on.

Possibly, if someone responsible ran it.

I ran one once years and years ago with about 15 people in it and it wasn't worth the hassle.

A signed contract with each player would have made things easier.

Or at the very least not letting cheapskates join in the first place.

p4wanbi's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        WA
        United States
        Member #122238
        January 27, 2012
        180 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2013, 11:58 am - IP Logged

Positive: winners get the share equally, more people happy is a great thing
        Positive: luck may struck better with pool play than single

Minus: if win just one million, the bigger the pool size the more people swim (smaller lum sum).
        Minus: going through hassle of getting sued, or difficulty in getting the share when judges decided to withhold the pot.

I vote yes, however.

playing what can be afforded...spend half of what was reclaimed.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
          Rochester
          United States
          Member #103282
          January 1, 2011
          606 Posts
          Posted: December 9, 2013, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

I use to run a big one at work, but stopped quite some time ago. Currently I have 1 partner on the Powerball and Mega. US Flag

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1713 Posts
            Posted: December 9, 2013, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

I say join the pool.  You have to increase your chances of winning even if it is with more people.  The pot cashout now is $184,000,000 million, say there is 10 people in the pool = mmmmm  16 million, to buy more tickets on your own.  ($184 mil x 8.75% = 16,100,000 mil., - 184 mil = 167,900,000 / 10 = $16,790,000 each), not bad for a days work.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19900 Posts
              Posted: December 9, 2013, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Before I retired I was a member of a pool at work and we came with in one number of winning the state lottery three times. 

Each time we matched 5of6 was a problem of who would collect the prize and pay the taxes at the end of the year because no taxes was taken out of prizes less than $5K and since we all was working a lot of over time who ever got stuck with the taxes was going to be in the 30%+ bracket.

We worked it out by randomly picking one the member who had a student in college who could cash it for an equal share plus a fee.  Since that was their only income for the years they paid no taxes and because they was a student their parent still could to deduct them on their taxes too.

Now I enjoy playing alone and wouldn't join a pool even if I had the chance.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                700 Posts
                Posted: December 9, 2013, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

I run the lottery pool in my office.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19900 Posts
                  Posted: December 9, 2013, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Possibly, if someone responsible ran it.

I ran one once years and years ago with about 15 people in it and it wasn't worth the hassle.

A signed contract with each player would have made things easier.

Or at the very least not letting cheapskates join in the first place.

"Or at the very least not letting cheapskates join in the first place."

Lottery pools attract cheapskates like thoses who want to cover a lot of chances for winning for only a dollar.  They were in the work pools trying to convince everyone in the pool if they won a jackpot on their own then they were obligated to share with everyone in the pool since they had shared the cost of the pool with them.  I made it clear to everyone that I always spent a few dollar playing the lotteries before I joined their pool and joining wasn't changing that and what I won on my own was all mines.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #124493
                    March 14, 2012
                    7023 Posts
                    Posted: December 9, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I dont get invited, I DO the inviting.Roll Eyes

No thanks to you too you worthless, Troll

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3857 Posts
                      Posted: December 9, 2013, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I might, but I think the occasional pool for a really big JP is better than an ongoing type,

and the rules must be very clear.

I think the occasional type is better B/C it's clear who is a member and who is NOT.

None of this stuff where someone says " I'm in it why did'nt you cover me ?

No, each drawing is separate event !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                        Member #149820
                        December 9, 2013
                        644 Posts
                        Posted: December 9, 2013, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

If it comes down to me getting to split millions, or me just throwing away another losing ticket. I'll take my share of the millions please

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                          Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #149492
                          December 2, 2013
                          919 Posts
                          Posted: December 9, 2013, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

We only used to have an office lottery pool when the jackpot got large.  My only motivation was I didn't want to be the odd man out, so yeah, I'd put my $5 in the pool.

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: December 9, 2013, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

NO.  If you invited me to be in your pool I would not.  You dont care about random or artistic guesses.

I think you are only someone who is afraid to not get any money if the pool at your job actually wins. 

Your gambling is fear based and not science based.  So if you want another dollar, I will leave 20 beer cans outside my door for you.

If you dont care about joining a pool, why ask about joining a pool?

Are you trying to expose lottery players as fools?No No

Sacramento, CA
                              United States
                              Member #142454
                              May 12, 2013
                              66 Posts
                              Posted: December 9, 2013, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I ran the pool at my last company. I was drafted as the organized person when the prior organizer left. It was a little bit of a headache, but everyone was good about paying on time.

I do not run a pool at my current company and I'm not going to suggest one. We've got a few serious Mormons in the upper management. Since the LDS frowns on gambling...