Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

" Should" you Win the lottery- would you borrow money out to friends if asked?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 3 years ago by sully16.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3046 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

"Got to get to the strip club and the liquor store first.  Awesome!"

LOL

I think that's called the Jack Whittaker System, weshar.

I think they upgraded it to the justin bieber hall pass to stripalopugus and towering liquor.-weshar75

US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

On one of TLCML programs one jackpot winner said that he had given several people $1M each......and every single one of them came back asking for more.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I think they upgraded it to the justin bieber hall pass to stripalopugus and towering liquor.-weshar75

US Flag

That'll work!Thumbs Up

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4102 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2014, 12:52 am - IP Logged

On one of TLCML programs one jackpot winner said that he had given several people $1M each......and every single one of them came back asking for more.

That's Sad.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4102 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2014, 1:02 am - IP Logged

I agree with you it is easy for them to want to "borrow" money but they always resent it when you ask them to pay it back.

A lottery winner said that  her " friends" whom she knew for years would invite her to lunch/ dinner- l don't know which- but when it was time to head home, they'd push the bill to her. She said she did not mind at first, but it became repetitive and each time after that they would try and pull the same thing, she said she just stopped showing up for the invitations and they were pissed off. She said that she eventually found friends who did not take advantage of her.. the others: she ditched.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
            Lotto City, Michigan
            United States
            Member #36256
            March 30, 2006
            1472 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2014, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I'd probably give them the money and wouldn't think twice about it.

As John Lennon said, "Money can't buy me love."  LOL

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."----Niels Bohr

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
              Member #118609
              November 4, 2011
              931 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2014, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I would give gifts meaning give and not expect anything in return or being paid back.  However, it would be my choice to whom and how much.  My circle of true friends is small as is my family.  Not all gifts would be cash and any giving would be dependent upon my mood lol. 

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                Member #118609
                November 4, 2011
                931 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2014, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

That's Sad.

That is a lot of money to have them go thru and takes a lot of nerve to come back and ask for more, the answer would be absolutely no.

Love the dogs, to them I would give them more lol.  They give unconditional love.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1182 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2014, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Never loan money you expect to get back. Only loan what you're okay with never seeing again. If you can't afford to lose it for good, don't loan it out. If people actually repaid loans of their own accord Judge Judy wouldn't have just finished building a 40,000sf house.

And I will only outright give money to a select few because I have learned in the past that even giving money to someone who needs it is not without its own problems. Who knew giving away money could cause as big a headache as giving a loan.

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4102 Posts
                    Posted: February 1, 2014, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Never loan money you expect to get back. Only loan what you're okay with never seeing again. If you can't afford to lose it for good, don't loan it out. If people actually repaid loans of their own accord Judge Judy wouldn't have just finished building a 40,000sf house.

And I will only outright give money to a select few because I have learned in the past that even giving money to someone who needs it is not without its own problems. Who knew giving away money could cause as big a headache as giving a loan.

Seems you and others Teddi understood my terminology for the word " loan" by using " borrowed". Well some "English Professor" who claims to have higher learning took umbrage with the use of the word " Borrowed".Since none of you complained- what does it say about him being called a Professor of the  English Language?

** No response is needed- btw.

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: February 1, 2014, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Judge Judy didn't make all that money by appearing in a small claims court. She made that money because her funny, witty, and aggressive methods of finding the liar took the notice of Television producers. lol

United States
                        Member #128790
                        June 2, 2012
                        5431 Posts
                        Posted: February 1, 2014, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Seems you and others Teddi understood my terminology for the word " loan" by using " borrowed". Well some "English Professor" who claims to have higher learning took umbrage with the use of the word " Borrowed".Since none of you complained- what does it say about him being called a Professor of the  English Language?

** No response is needed- btw.

You don't have to be a professor in the English language to know that the correct word to use is "Lend".

I hope you know "I" comes before "E", except after "C". Green laugh

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                          Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #35086
                          March 12, 2006
                          10374 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2014, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Sad   But   True      CT

" Niether   a    Borrower  Nor   Lender   Be  ;    For  Loan  Oft   Loses   Both    Itself   and   Friend   "   (  Shakespeare )

" Creditors   Have   Better   Memories   Than   Debtors "      (  Ben  Franklin )

" Before  borrowing   money   from   a   friend    ,  decide  which  you  need  most  "   ( Old   Proverb )

There  are  exceptions  to  the  rules  for  sure   (  but  still ......pretty  good  words  to  live  by  really  )

My  Dad  taught  me  the  same  principles  at  an  early  age  in   Life

His  Country  way  of  saying  and  teaching  it   was    ......    " Don't   live   beyond   your  means "

"  Daddy  never  was  the  Cadillac  kind "

"  He  said  some  things ,  they  just  glitter  and  shine "

"  He  said  Love  was  the  one  thing  money  can't  buy "

" Cause  Daddy  never  was  the  Cadillac  kind "

"  As  they  drove  him  away  in  that  Big   Cadillac "

" With  a  tear in  my  eye  I  had  to  smile "

"  Cause  Daddy  never  was     the  Cadillac  kind "

" He said some things they just  glitter and shine "

" Well  just  this  once  I  hope  Daddy  enjoyed  the  ride "

" Cause  my  Daddy  never  was  ......  the  Cadillac  kind  "

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                            JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                            Member #141034
                            April 2, 2013
                            1408 Posts
                            Posted: February 2, 2014, 2:26 am - IP Logged

This is definitely a no win situation. No matter what you do, the relationship will never be the same.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1182 Posts
                              Posted: February 2, 2014, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Judge Judy didn't make all that money by appearing in a small claims court. She made that money because her funny, witty, and aggressive methods of finding the liar took the notice of Television producers. lol

Doesn't matter how witty and enthralling Judge Judy is, she still wouldn't be rolling in the dough if there weren't people suing each other by the thousands. Just as divorce court wouldn't be in existence if people didn't want to get divorced, and Maury wouldn't have been so popular if people knew who impregnated them. The host/judge/arbitrator may compel you to watch, but it takes the public to actually sue each other for it to happen.

And the number of people lined up to sue others brings us right back to my original post. People lend money and oftentimes don't get it back. Best never to lend what you need returned, because people make all kinds of promises of repayment when they need money but soon forget those promises once they have the funds.