Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Billion dollar March madness

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
USA
United States
Member #152799
February 25, 2014
1090 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2014, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Anyone here participating in the Billion dollar March madness contest? I think the cash value is around $400 million but I have heard the odds of getting a perfect play sheet is around 50 billion to 1.

I don't follow college basketball but I will give it a try.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2014, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

Anyone here participating in the Billion dollar March madness contest? I think the cash value is around $400 million but I have heard the odds of getting a perfect play sheet is around 50 billion to 1.

Cash value is $500 million but after taxes it would probably be around $300 million. The odds are actually about 1 in 9.22 quadrillion for a random-pick perfect sheet, and supposedly about 1 in 128 billion for a sheet played by someone who knows basketball.

Anyway, yes I am participating. I played (reg. and tournaments), so know a little bit about game dynamics etc, but still holding no expectations.

I would be perfectly happy to win one of the second prizes. After all, it's free. Smile

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19817 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2014, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I was since it's free and no purchase was necessary but I found out I need a yahoo account and a mobile number before I can proceed which I'm guessing I'll need something else after I get them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2014, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Do you all think anybody will win??

USA
          United States
          Member #152799
          February 25, 2014
          1090 Posts
          Posted: March 13, 2014, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

I was since it's free and no purchase was necessary but I found out I need a yahoo account and a mobile number before I can proceed which I'm guessing I'll need something else after I get them.

I pre-registered and they just need your email and phone. You can opt out of receiving future solicitation from Quicken Loan.

USA
            United States
            Member #152799
            February 25, 2014
            1090 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2014, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Cash value is $500 million but after taxes it would probably be around $300 million. The odds are actually about 1 in 9.22 quadrillion for a random-pick perfect sheet, and supposedly about 1 in 128 billion for a sheet played by someone who knows basketball.

Anyway, yes I am participating. I played (reg. and tournaments), so know a little bit about game dynamics etc, but still holding no expectations.

I would be perfectly happy to win one of the second prizes. After all, it's free. Smile

Thanks for the clarification as I knew the odds were high but NOT that high.Eek

I didn't realize they offered any second prize. With so many top seeds getting upset it will take an awful lot of luck like perhaps getting struck by lightning and eaten by a shark before finally getting hit by an asteroid while swimming in a pool.

USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1090 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2014, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

With the overwhelming odds, I seriously doubt it but you never know...

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                United States
                Member #50210
                March 1, 2007
                843 Posts
                Posted: March 13, 2014, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

With odds that astronomical, it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2014, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the clarification as I knew the odds were high but NOT that high.Eek

I didn't realize they offered any second prize. With so many top seeds getting upset it will take an awful lot of luck like perhaps getting struck by lightning and eaten by a shark before finally getting hit by an asteroid while swimming in a pool.

It's actually a bit higher, 2^63 or 9.2 quintillion (not quadrillion) to 1 odds for the $1 billion grand prize.

1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket/challenge/?qls=BCG_B14BrBra.0000000099&mid=sVd3Du6Dp|pcrid|38567155548|pkw|quickenloans%20bracket|pmt|e|pdv|c|plid|

Don't delay. There is a limit of 15 million entrants! I was signed up early and registered the first day. Selection starts after this weekend, expect it to fill up quickly.

And with twenty 1st prizes of $100,000 for best brackets, they will give away $2M no matter what.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10345 Posts
                    Posted: March 13, 2014, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Nope. It's the equivalent of hitting a 32 teamer.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2014, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Yep, made a typo. In my post here, I state it correctly: http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/271280/3447033

And in this post I posted the full odds of winning, which "someone" was not convinced as correct, even though the rules said so: http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/271280/3448325

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2014, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Yep, made a typo. In my post here, I state it correctly: http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/271280/3447033

And in this post I posted the full odds of winning, which "someone" was not convinced as correct, even though the rules said so: http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/271280/3448325

Stop being a crybaby LottoMetro.

You're so insecure. Green laugh

Your ego can't stand someone pointing out your mistakes, which I've done on many occasions.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                          Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                          United States
                          Member #50210
                          March 1, 2007
                          843 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2014, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

It's actually a bit higher, 2^63 or 9.2 quintillion (not quadrillion) to 1 odds for the $1 billion grand prize.

1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket/challenge/?qls=BCG_B14BrBra.0000000099&mid=sVd3Du6Dp|pcrid|38567155548|pkw|quickenloans%20bracket|pmt|e|pdv|c|plid|

Don't delay. There is a limit of 15 million entrants! I was signed up early and registered the first day. Selection starts after this weekend, expect it to fill up quickly.

And with twenty 1st prizes of $100,000 for best brackets, they will give away $2M no matter what.

The grand prize will be out of play before the final four. I would be curious to see what Vegas odd makers are offering.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7297 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2014, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Theoretically the NCAA selections committee should have "perfect brackets" because they have all the information, but only once have all four of their number 1 seeds made the Final Four when three times none of the Final Four were number 1 seeds. A number 1 seed won 52% of the tourneys which means in almost half the tourneys, the committee couldn't pick the winner. 

"I don't follow college basketball but I will give it a try."

The only 100% statistic is the number 1 seeds beating the number 16 seeds in every tourney, but that only involves four of the 32 first round winners. Last year there was less than 10 brackets out of millions in the ESPN Bracket Challenge that were prefect through the round of 32 so it's well worth the try for anyone. Good Luck!

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7297 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2014, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

The grand prize will be out of play before the final four. I would be curious to see what Vegas odd makers are offering.

I Agree! and with Villanova losing early in the Big East tourney makes having four solid number 1 seeds very difficult.