Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Billion dollar March madness

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
Happyland
United States
Member #146344
September 1, 2013
1129 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2014, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Down to 1 perfect bracket through 27 games.

There were 3 perfect brackets, but they all chose GW....which lost. LOL

That 1 perfect bracket you see is in Yahoo's tournament, but actually not in the Quicken billion dollar contest. To see standings for the contest, you have to visit the sub-board for the pool's standings, link here: https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket/group/bdbc

The highest ranked brackets there have 26 of 27

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
    Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
    United States
    Member #50210
    March 1, 2007
    843 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2014, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

There were 3 perfect brackets, but they all chose GW....which lost. LOL

That 1 perfect bracket you see is in Yahoo's tournament, but actually not in the Quicken billion dollar contest. To see standings for the contest, you have to visit the sub-board for the pool's standings, link here: https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket/group/bdbc

The highest ranked brackets there have 26 of 27

You're right! can't believe he didn't sign up for the Quicken loan contest. He is currently perfect on the first 36 games.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1129 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2014, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

You're right! can't believe he didn't sign up for the Quicken loan contest. He is currently perfect on the first 36 games.

He may have signed up for the contest...he mentioned it in the Twitter feed. I know he has 3 different brackets running and their categories are hidden.

His other brackets aren't doing so well, 81% and 17%. That adds up to 98% so I wonder if he hedged his brackets Naughty

IMO it's an amazing feat so far, but not as amazing as if he had only filled out one bracket. He's basically had 3 chances to get it right. I filled out one and have 29 of 36 (94% rank), and two of those losses would have been avoided had I paid better attention to my choices on the West/Midwest.

I've gotten a kick out of the statistics professor with half a class over 90%. He charged people to hear his lecture for ranking methods. And here a random joe has a better bracket. I think it isn't hard to beat most of the crowd, because the majority just choose the favorites or what they hear on ESPN.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7322 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2014, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

He may have signed up for the contest...he mentioned it in the Twitter feed. I know he has 3 different brackets running and their categories are hidden.

His other brackets aren't doing so well, 81% and 17%. That adds up to 98% so I wonder if he hedged his brackets Naughty

IMO it's an amazing feat so far, but not as amazing as if he had only filled out one bracket. He's basically had 3 chances to get it right. I filled out one and have 29 of 36 (94% rank), and two of those losses would have been avoided had I paid better attention to my choices on the West/Midwest.

I've gotten a kick out of the statistics professor with half a class over 90%. He charged people to hear his lecture for ranking methods. And here a random joe has a better bracket. I think it isn't hard to beat most of the crowd, because the majority just choose the favorites or what they hear on ESPN.

"And here a random joe has a better bracket."

He had Oregon being in the final four which now makes his bracket below average. There is nothing unique about getting lucky by picking some first round upsets, but in the second round, Brad picked 7 seed Oregon over 2 seed and home team Wisconsin.

Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2014, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

"And here a random joe has a better bracket."

He had Oregon being in the final four which now makes his bracket below average. There is nothing unique about getting lucky by picking some first round upsets, but in the second round, Brad picked 7 seed Oregon over 2 seed and home team Wisconsin.

True, he will likely finish worse than many who were imperfect for the first 2 rounds. I was mainly poking fun at the professor. He got wiped out early.

Dayton bit me again with Syracuse but I'm now at 95%.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7322 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2014, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

True, he will likely finish worse than many who were imperfect for the first 2 rounds. I was mainly poking fun at the professor. He got wiped out early.

Dayton bit me again with Syracuse but I'm now at 95%.

The experts come out every March and only difference this year is the billion dollar challenge. Anyone participating in the office pool brackets knows the key is getting lots of teams into the sweet 16 and hopefully you'll pick the final four.

I wonder how many people had to decide between Dayton and Stanford on their bracket?

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2014, 9:33 am - IP Logged

I've lost 12 games, 46/58, and 79%, but with five games left, if Michigan State beats U Conn and UK beats Florida, I should be in the top 20. They divided the contest into six rounds with a possible 32 points up for grabs each round and a total of 192 points. If a bracket was perfect, but lost the final game, they have 160 points and even though I lost 12 games, if I correctly picked the final four, the final two, and the champion, I'll have a 172 points.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                United States
                Member #50210
                March 1, 2007
                843 Posts
                Posted: March 30, 2014, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I've lost 12 games, 46/58, and 79%, but with five games left, if Michigan State beats U Conn and UK beats Florida, I should be in the top 20. They divided the contest into six rounds with a possible 32 points up for grabs each round and a total of 192 points. If a bracket was perfect, but lost the final game, they have 160 points and even though I lost 12 games, if I correctly picked the final four, the final two, and the champion, I'll have a 172 points.

You're doing better than me as I have lost 16 games. I only have Florida and Wisconsin left and am in the running at my club's bracket pool so it's still enjoyable.

Michigan State lost but good luck on your Quicken bracket!

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7322 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2014, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

You're doing better than me as I have lost 16 games. I only have Florida and Wisconsin left and am in the running at my club's bracket pool so it's still enjoyable.

Michigan State lost but good luck on your Quicken bracket!

The 8 points I lost when U Conn lost might be the difference because the best I can get is 164 points.

United States
                    Member #124493
                    March 14, 2012
                    7023 Posts
                    Posted: March 30, 2014, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

If I do really well in the bracket, but dont meet the JP criteria, can I get 20% off on my car insurance?

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7322 Posts
                      Posted: April 5, 2014, 3:59 am - IP Logged

If I do really well in the bracket, but dont meet the JP criteria, can I get 20% off on my car insurance?

It's really simple for me; UK beats Florida for the championship and Warren Buffet owes me $100 grand.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                        USA
                        United States
                        Member #152799
                        February 25, 2014
                        1094 Posts
                        Posted: April 5, 2014, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

It's really simple for me; UK beats Florida for the championship and Warren Buffet owes me $100 grand.

My bracket didn't do to well but I will root for UK to upset Florida even though I chose Florida to win it all. It would be nice to see someone from LP win something.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                          JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                          Member #141034
                          April 2, 2013
                          1410 Posts
                          Posted: April 5, 2014, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

The billion dollar madness is just that..MADNESS. Anybody who thinks he/she can win it might as well be classified as a raving lunatic.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7322 Posts
                            Posted: April 6, 2014, 12:22 am - IP Logged

My bracket didn't do to well but I will root for UK to upset Florida even though I chose Florida to win it all. It would be nice to see someone from LP win something.

I'm out now with the Florida loss. The player in first place has 14 losses and it just shows it's probably impossible to have a perfect bracket.