Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Programmer Who Does It For Pick 4

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 2 years ago by MonEl.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Duchess69's avatar - Lottery-051.jpg

United States
Member #109074
April 5, 2011
3516 Posts
Posted: November 21, 2014, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

IS THEIR ANY ONE ON HERE THAT  CAN PROGRAM SOMETHING FOR ME ,please let me know...

Keep smiling  keep Sun Smiley knowing you can't always count on me forsure that's what friends are for.....

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: November 21, 2014, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

IS THEIR ANY ONE ON HERE THAT  CAN PROGRAM SOMETHING FOR ME ,please let me know...

THERE must be someone on LP who can, I'm sure of it. Green laugh

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Dallas, Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      1659 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2014, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Best bet is to throw your idea out and explain what you are looking for.

G

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

MrProgrammer's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
        Member #161388
        November 28, 2014
        83 Posts
        Posted: November 28, 2014, 9:12 am - IP Logged

There is a programmer on Lottery Post now.  Me, as of today.  I have been a non-member reading posts for a year or so, and finally decided to join today.  Hello everyone!  I am willing to listen to any requests and will always will provide my thoughts on them.  I will also throw in my comments here and there in new topics if I think the truth of real permutations involved or mathematical logic needs to be added to the topic being discussed.

MrProgrammer  Cool

backwoods ga
          United States
          Member #155844
          May 31, 2014
          1886 Posts
          Posted: November 28, 2014, 9:20 am - IP Logged

What is needed.  If I want something programmed. And not to be shared or used by anyone else..

United States
            Member #161388
            November 28, 2014
            83 Posts
            Posted: November 28, 2014, 9:50 am - IP Logged

See the notes in my signature for hints.  It varies.  Let's start with the requirements of your specific request.  Either here, or in a private message.

MrProgrammer  Cool

mmx1's avatar - 8ball

Canada
              Member #90040
              April 20, 2010
              473 Posts
              Posted: November 28, 2014, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

There is a programmer on Lottery Post now.  Me, as of today.  I have been a non-member reading posts for a year or so, and finally decided to join today.  Hello everyone!  I am willing to listen to any requests and will always will provide my thoughts on them.  I will also throw in my comments here and there in new topics if I think the truth of real permutations involved or mathematical logic needs to be added to the topic being discussed.

Would you show us what you've done so far?

United States
                Member #161388
                November 28, 2014
                83 Posts
                Posted: November 29, 2014, 9:41 am - IP Logged

So far, programming for major financial firms all my life.  So, no, nothing to show in lottery programming so far.  But I have decided to start writing some systems and tools for people really into the lottery (such as myself also) going forward, as a hobby part-time.  I have always been the guru programmer whatever I have worked on, so I expect no differences or issues in developing lottery tools.

I have decided that all the tools out there (that I have seen so far) are not enough or good enough, for my attempts as finding assistance in researching an idea, or just narrowing things down based on an idea when playing.  And from reading many of the posts here, I think that many feel the same way.  I can see many possible things to build.  Great time saving things for sure.  Beyond that, who knows, we shall see. 

You will see many questions going forward from me on what people are interested in, what features would be important, etc.  Even 1-off research things I will try to do as people ask for them, while all this is going on.  If easy and for people who are nice to me, I might even do some of them for free.  If you want thoughts or analysis on some idea and you want to keep it private, best to private message me for any research needs, versus asking about it in the public forum.  Free tools and great paid tools are all in my plan.

A little about me.  I play the lottery a ton.  I love to go for the BIG win, currently addicted to a Keno game, but it is expensive, since I play the same numbers multiple times to get a really big hit, if I hit.  But so far, have not hit the big one on Keno.  Or even the next to big one.  One $550 hit, one $350 hit, and lots of $120 hits so far, along with tons of losers obviously.  I see lots of people play the pick 3 here and like to concentrate on that, which is interesting to me.  Maybe it is because you win more often on that than the bigger lotteries?  You all are most likely much less behind lately that I am, doing this, since I spend most money on things that rarely ever hit.

My biggest lottery hit was a $40,000 win on Powerball about 12 years ago.  That was a shock, but cool.  It was from my own set of numbers I played with a few quick picks and 2 fixed numbers (this being one of them), for about six months straight.  My own picks were based on nothing, just marked some circles, thought maybe better than a computer quick pick.  Worked out but was pure luck for sure.  Anyway, one good story to tell.  But no big hits in last 12 years, and getting impatient.  Ha.

MrProgrammer  Cool

winsumloosesum's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #2218
                  September 1, 2003
                  5387 Posts
                  Posted: November 29, 2014, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Wanted to ask you if you could create a program that calculates skips for each of the Pick 4 sets.

I uploaded 2 Text files.  Text file 1 is the list of all the Pick 4 Permutations going across.  See box.com link below

Inside the folder are 2 Excel files.  The P3StateDraws.xlsm and Pick4Hits.xlsm which is unfinished.

The 2nd text file is a draw history of all the Pick 4 draws in the order they were drawn for every state including Canadian Pick 4 and Puerto Rico.  There are over 50,000 draws.

In the screen shot below is a short list of the Pick 4 Permutations starting with the Quads in cell D2 through D11, then the Trips in cell D12 etc.  all the way down to the 24-Ways.

In cell AC2 is the current skip for the Quad 000.  Using the "All States" draw history of 51,000 past draws.  The skips for the permutation 0001 0010 0100 and 1000 starting in cell AC12 is skip 3453 for 0001, 387 for 0010, 4053 for 0100, and 45,469 for 1000.

Once I have all the skips I want to take the minimum skip for that permutation.  In this example, 0001,0010,0100,1000.  Skips 3453,387,4053,45469 which the minimum skip for the 4 sets is 387.

If this is too much of an undertaking I totally understand.

Calculating this in Excel is possible but takes to darn long.

Thanks,

Steve

https://app.box.com/s/tdj75u50s3qjtc8k0naj

Pick 4 Example

United States
                    Member #116344
                    September 8, 2011
                    3919 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2014, 10:48 am - IP Logged

So far, programming for major financial firms all my life.  So, no, nothing to show in lottery programming so far.  But I have decided to start writing some systems and tools for people really into the lottery (such as myself also) going forward, as a hobby part-time.  I have always been the guru programmer whatever I have worked on, so I expect no differences or issues in developing lottery tools.

I have decided that all the tools out there (that I have seen so far) are not enough or good enough, for my attempts as finding assistance in researching an idea, or just narrowing things down based on an idea when playing.  And from reading many of the posts here, I think that many feel the same way.  I can see many possible things to build.  Great time saving things for sure.  Beyond that, who knows, we shall see. 

You will see many questions going forward from me on what people are interested in, what features would be important, etc.  Even 1-off research things I will try to do as people ask for them, while all this is going on.  If easy and for people who are nice to me, I might even do some of them for free.  If you want thoughts or analysis on some idea and you want to keep it private, best to private message me for any research needs, versus asking about it in the public forum.  Free tools and great paid tools are all in my plan.

A little about me.  I play the lottery a ton.  I love to go for the BIG win, currently addicted to a Keno game, but it is expensive, since I play the same numbers multiple times to get a really big hit, if I hit.  But so far, have not hit the big one on Keno.  Or even the next to big one.  One $550 hit, one $350 hit, and lots of $120 hits so far, along with tons of losers obviously.  I see lots of people play the pick 3 here and like to concentrate on that, which is interesting to me.  Maybe it is because you win more often on that than the bigger lotteries?  You all are most likely much less behind lately that I am, doing this, since I spend most money on things that rarely ever hit.

My biggest lottery hit was a $40,000 win on Powerball about 12 years ago.  That was a shock, but cool.  It was from my own set of numbers I played with a few quick picks and 2 fixed numbers (this being one of them), for about six months straight.  My own picks were based on nothing, just marked some circles, thought maybe better than a computer quick pick.  Worked out but was pure luck for sure.  Anyway, one good story to tell.  But no big hits in last 12 years, and getting impatient.  Ha.

Welcome to LP, MrProgrammer, I don't know the intent of this thread, and don't want to second-guess, but you raise some red flags here, and I'll list them shortly>

We have a lot of programmers and statisticians who are members of LP, some are lurking in the shadows and glad to help on request with modesty(LP member MANUAL comes to mind), they are not professing the title GURU(red flag).

If easy and for people who are nice to me, I might even do some of them for free.  If you want thoughts or analysis on some idea and you want to keep it private, best to private message me for any research needs, versus asking about it in the public forum.  Free tools and great paid tools are all in my plan.

The above statement may be a set up for your intent, " I might even do some of them for free'(red flag), LP has rules, so you better check them!

I have decided that all the tools out there (that I have seen so far) are not enough or good enough, for my attempts as finding assistance in researching an idea, or just narrowing things down based on an idea when playing. 

Humility or modesty is strength, but professing as  guru put you in center stage ''I have decided that all the tools out there (that I have seen so far) are not enough or good enough" 

NB> Start a small project(P3), put it out there and let people decide your worth.

I hoped this thread stays relevant  and not degenerate into petty squabbles.

United States
                      Member #116344
                      September 8, 2011
                      3919 Posts
                      Posted: November 29, 2014, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Can you do a program on the Pool 0 through 9(P3,P4,P5 digit games) based on the concept of  'Univariate to multivariate'?  P3>1000 combos, P4> 10,000, so you can either use historical data(not a fan of historical data) or the matrix of each game, thanks.

United States
                        Member #161388
                        November 28, 2014
                        83 Posts
                        Posted: November 29, 2014, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the feedback and also about any worries you might have!  I will read the LP member manual again right way.  I thought I did that before I joined but will make sure now by finding it and reading it or re-reading it, and changing any future forum posts as appropriate.

As for the guru thing, I only meant to classify myself as a guru in general programming skills (nothing to do with lotto), based on all previous jobs, experience, and results.  All my previous programming experience is 100% non-lotto related.  Also, I am definitely not a "lotto software" guru, nor a "lotto guru", at this time.  If my previous post implied that, I apologize.  My guru comment was an attempt to allow people to possibly believe a programmer with decent general programming experience was on LP.  That was the question for this thread, as you will note.  If I actually if I knew there were many programmers already part of LP as you say, I probably would have not said a word.  Just seemed no one was answering.

Final comment.  I strongly believe that anyone claiming to be a guru at anything, should not be taken at face value until they have substantially proved themselves over time as such.  And this includes me.

MrProgrammer  Cool

United States
                          Member #116344
                          September 8, 2011
                          3919 Posts
                          Posted: November 29, 2014, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the feedback and also about any worries you might have!  I will read the LP member manual again right way.  I thought I did that before I joined but will make sure now by finding it and reading it or re-reading it, and changing any future forum posts as appropriate.

As for the guru thing, I only meant to classify myself as a guru in general programming skills (nothing to do with lotto), based on all previous jobs, experience, and results.  All my previous programming experience is 100% non-lotto related.  Also, I am definitely not a "lotto software" guru, nor a "lotto guru", at this time.  If my previous post implied that, I apologize.  My guru comment was an attempt to allow people to possibly believe a programmer with decent general programming experience was on LP.  That was the question for this thread, as you will note.  If I actually if I knew there were many programmers already part of LP as you say, I probably would have not said a word.  Just seemed no one was answering.

Final comment.  I strongly believe that anyone claiming to be a guru at anything, should not be taken at face value until they have substantially proved themselves over time as such.  And this includes me.

I am glad for this clarification, I have seen decent threads with good intentions degenerate to insults and name calling, so is just is ' avvertimento' to watch your surroundings, you'll like your thread to stay on topic, everything else is futile, welcome to LP once again.

adulane62's avatar - file php?avatar=16228.gif
                            From Denver, Rocky Mountain Empire,
                            United States
                            Member #49750
                            February 13, 2007
                            439 Posts
                            Posted: November 29, 2014, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

All talk and no action makes MrProgrammer a dull boy! Show us what you got - anything - program wise be it pick 3 or pick 5 games. Otherwise it is all talk. And don't try to sell stuff here, or Todd will ban you.

Go Broncos!  White Bounce

United States
                              Member #161388
                              November 28, 2014
                              83 Posts
                              Posted: November 29, 2014, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Three more answers for this topic:

Winsumloosesum, I got your files downloaded, took a look around at it and seem to get the point of what you are trying to accomplish and how.  Certainly would run a LONG time for pick 4 and how you are trying to do it with Excel functions.  After a tweak it still ran for 30 minutes before I cancelled it.  Too much built in indexing and searching using Excel functions, too much overhead and memory swaps going on.  Needs to be an organized set of programs without Excel functions doing some intelligent saving of indexes and searching/counting.  Would be much better with all the code (no excel functions) in several VBA Macro modules, or an outside set of programs.  But yes, certainly could be done with programs somehow.  Should run in 5 minutes I think, 10 max, once designed and coded correctly in all program code somewhere.

Adobea78, just all Pick 3/4/5 games redone in a blink with some "univariate to multivariate" theory, eh?  Gee, sounds easy (not), assuming I knew what that was (will look into to learn).  I believe I would also a bunch more specifics/requirements from you, as this request (at this time) seems a bit too broad to just start coding up.  Ha.

Adulane62, chill out, all in good time.

MrProgrammer  Cool