Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

For those who complain about what states win

Topic closed. 70 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Scratch$.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Ft. Washington, MD
United States
Member #159267
September 20, 2014
123 Posts
Posted: January 29, 2015, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I cant understand why people do not understand that it's simply a function of where the most people live.  California is the most populated state in the union, followed by Texas, New York and Florida.  Notice all of those states sell more tickets than most other states? 

It's a lot like the electoral college... The states with the most people have the most influence (votes) in Presidential elections.  And, the states with the most people have the most Representatives/Congressional districts in The U.S. House of Representatives. 

For instance Cali has 53 Congressional Districts, (the number 1 state ranked by population) while Alaska (the 47th state ranked by population) has ONE! 

In the states where they sell the most tickets, there is a greater opportunity (greater chance) that they will sell more winning tickets compared to states where few tickets are sold.

There was another stat in another thread somewhere in the discussion forum touting the same idea of facts about how much the states contribute to MUSL explaining why the states have the winners they have. DC only contirbuted 8 mil to MUSL last fiscal year  and they have not had a powerball or MM jp winner since 2009.Which is why i only buy tickets in MD or VA becuz they have fared better. They are bigger states and contribute more to MUSL. And oh, you left out PA as a populous state. It is strange that as big as texas is, it does not have as many jp winners as NJ which is smaller but they contibute a wallop of money to MUSL

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5604 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2015, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

There was another stat in another thread somewhere in the discussion forum touting the same idea of facts about how much the states contribute to MUSL explaining why the states have the winners they have. DC only contirbuted 8 mil to MUSL last fiscal year  and they have not had a powerball or MM jp winner since 2009.Which is why i only buy tickets in MD or VA becuz they have fared better. They are bigger states and contribute more to MUSL. And oh, you left out PA as a populous state. It is strange that as big as texas is, it does not have as many jp winners as NJ which is smaller but they contibute a wallop of money to MUSL

Texas does not have that many winners despite the population. PB sales are dismal in Tx, but also in all other states.

My theory, (and that's all it is) is that in Tx most play scratchoffs. They are insanely popular. I play one once in a while, but I always liked the idea that I could drop a buck on MM or PB ($2), or Lotto and win millions. I know the odds, but.....

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Ft. Washington, MD
      United States
      Member #159267
      September 20, 2014
      123 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2015, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Texas does not have that many winners despite the population. PB sales are dismal in Tx, but also in all other states.

My theory, (and that's all it is) is that in Tx most play scratchoffs. They are insanely popular. I play one once in a while, but I always liked the idea that I could drop a buck on MM or PB ($2), or Lotto and win millions. I know the odds, but.....

That explains why Texas pulled out of the MMC early and suprised everyone. If sales are dismal for the other draw games then mmc was gonna fail too. If they knew that the scratch offs are more Texas' kind of thing they shouldn't have added another draw game to their stable.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: January 29, 2015, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Agreed,  I have tried saying that some states haven't had a jackpot winner in years, and the usual ones get into a ball.  Yet they try and convince others that everyone some how has an equal chance of winning...Of course some of us know that is BS,  some will attack and harass for pointing some thing that is right in front of their faces.

The News of the Weird website has a category called Not Quite Clear on the Concept.

You should send some of your theories to them.

So according to you, someone who plays one line of numbers on a PB or MM ticket in CA has better chances than someone who plays one line of numbers in other states?

By the way, what's the PB jackpot right now and what's the WI jackpot?

Facie d'ozo

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: January 29, 2015, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Agreed,  I have tried saying that some states haven't had a jackpot winner in years, and the usual ones get into a ball.  Yet they try and convince others that everyone some how has an equal chance of winning...Of course some of us know that is BS,  some will attack and harass for pointing some thing that is right in front of their faces.

You're never quite clear on how everyone doesn't have the same chance of winning. How does some states you allege to win more, do so? What function do they execute to generate more winners in their state? There is really no logical explanation or sense to this. I frequently have access to internal documents related to these big jackpot games and never have I caught wind of a mass conspiracy of the proportions required for your claim. Could it really go all the way to the top? LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Ft. Washington, MD
            United States
            Member #159267
            September 20, 2014
            123 Posts
            Posted: January 29, 2015, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

Wow CT and LM I watch you two wage a war of words with pickone4me. Y'all got a personal vendatta with him\her LOL LOL

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: January 29, 2015, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

All l know is that NC/SC almost pulled it off last night. So much for only " big " State lottery players bringing home the jackpots.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #104962
                January 23, 2011
                1075 Posts
                Posted: January 30, 2015, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Very Interesting. A great lead too.

Trump 2016!

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: January 30, 2015, 12:40 am - IP Logged

You're never quite clear on how everyone doesn't have the same chance of winning. How does some states you allege to win more, do so? What function do they execute to generate more winners in their state? There is really no logical explanation or sense to this. I frequently have access to internal documents related to these big jackpot games and never have I caught wind of a mass conspiracy of the proportions required for your claim. Could it really go all the way to the top? LOL

When that kind of money is involved, I trust no one.  Where/who does the money go to for all those losing PB and MM tickets?

Trump 2016!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10353 Posts
                    Posted: January 30, 2015, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Wow CT and LM I watch you two wage a war of words with pickone4me. Y'all got a personal vendatta with him\her LOL LOL

Nope.

It just gets old when someone is constantly saying, "Someone won the PB / MM jackpot and it wasn't me, boo hoo boo hoo" and tries to camouflage it by blaming other states.

As has been said here, people win jackpots, states don't. 

As an interesting and ironic side note, pickone4me has complained about places winning too often and in his state, Wisconsin, there's a town called Fond du Lac which sold so many winners that the stores selling them were called the "Miracle Mile." You can look that up right here on LP.

pickone4 me will now post and claim not to play MM or PB but methinks he doest protest too much.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Ft. Washington, MD
                      United States
                      Member #159267
                      September 20, 2014
                      123 Posts
                      Posted: January 30, 2015, 1:07 am - IP Logged

Nope.

It just gets old when someone is constantly saying, "Someone won the PB / MM jackpot and it wasn't me, boo hoo boo hoo" and tries to camouflage it by blaming other states.

As has been said here, people win jackpots, states don't. 

As an interesting and ironic side note, pickone4me has complained about places winning too often and in his state, Wisconsin, there's a town called Fond du Lac which sold so many winners that the stores selling them were called the "Miracle Mile." You can look that up right here on LP.

pickone4 me will now post and claim not to play MM or PB but methinks he doest protest too much.

Yeah wow!! i remember the miracle mile from some years they were the winningest block in lottery history. Then they stopped and all of a sudden cali became the champ. LOL The players there bought a whopping 289 mil in tik sales last year no wonder they have more chances to win.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: January 30, 2015, 4:13 am - IP Logged

"i only buy tickets in MD or VA becuz they have fared better."

Does buying in MD or VA give you a better chance than buying a ticket with the same combination in DC? If you buy your ticket in MD or VA do your chances of winning go down if somebody else plays the same combination in DC?

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                          Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1129 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2015, 6:40 am - IP Logged

Seems to me like people believe the terminals that choose their quick picks are like Zoltar from the movie Big.

Green laugh

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                            NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3706 Posts
                            Posted: January 30, 2015, 6:57 am - IP Logged

I deliberately left out PA.  I could have added even more states besides PA. 

I simply figured by listing the top four states I'd get my point across.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5604 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2015, 8:40 am - IP Logged

When that kind of money is involved, I trust no one.  Where/who does the money go to for all those losing PB and MM tickets?

Here in Texas the money goes toward education, which is by law. Every state has a designated fund for the lottery money.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)