Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida snags the 80m dollar Powerball Jackpot

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 2 years ago by SilverLion.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
Member #133462
September 30, 2012
5946 Posts
Posted: April 12, 2015, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Just when I thought it was going on a long run the Sunshine State runs away with the loot! Maybe it's someone from Gloria's Bingo Crew.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: April 12, 2015, 1:25 am - IP Logged

4 out of the last 10 Powerball draws have been hit, it must be on a roll! Aspirin is selling like hotcakes near MUSL headquarters in Iowa Green laugh

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
      Member #164725
      March 12, 2015
      343 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2015, 4:49 am - IP Logged

Congratulations to the winner(s)! 

I resisted a strong urge to buy a PB ticket last nite. In California, the 5/5 prize, which no one won, was $2.24 million.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
        Member #52345
        May 21, 2007
        2659 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2015, 5:42 am - IP Logged

say it with me and get it over with :

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #165541
          April 12, 2015
          545 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2015, 7:26 am - IP Logged

Just when I thought it was going on a long run the Sunshine State runs away with the loot! Maybe it's someone from Gloria's Bingo Crew.

Perhaps JJ the prince is right?

Wyomissing, PA
            United States
            Member #161050
            November 15, 2014
            301 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2015, 8:03 am - IP Logged

4 out of the last 10 Powerball draws have been hit, it must be on a roll! Aspirin is selling like hotcakes near MUSL headquarters in Iowa Green laugh

4 hits out of past 10? Yikes! You're right about the Aspirin LOL

And some PB jurisdictions may be suffering even more. PA had a $2 million Match-5 Powerplay winner last night cutting their in-state share.

It would seem MUSL is facing a dilemma - do nothing, and risk more early hits reducing profit margins, and even the remote possibly of losing money. Or reworking Powerball with worse odds and reduced higher tier payouts - this appears to be the direction MUSL is heading, but comes at the risk of lower sales.

Personally, I cut back on Powerball, and to a lesser extent Mega Millions (due to its matrix change), when the price doubled to $2. The only thing that motivates to occasionally play Powerball at all is Match-5 with Powerplay $2 million prize; 1 in ~5 million odds. I've cut way back on MM when the matrix changed, and Match-5 prize odds went from 1 in ~3.9 million to 1 in ~18.4 million. Powerball will be a no go, if and when, the matrix / prize table changes.

On a related note, it's interesting to note the many comments on both here and elsewhere regarding Powerball price increase a few years back. While the matrix changed, many mistakenly believe Poweball jackpot odds became worse - the opposite occurred. Not sure the reason for the misconception - could be the price doubling, prize payout adjustments, etc. Odds slightly improved from 1 in ~195 million to 1 in ~175 million. The number of powerballs decreased from 39 to 35, resulting in better jackpot odds. Perception matters...

For many players, seeing the number of white balls going all the way up to 66 or whatever will be an immediate turn-off, regardless the number of powerballs, prize payouts, etc. MUSL PB jurisdictions appear increasingly desperate to make changes, but hopefully, they do better research, and maybe ask players on forums, such as this one, their thoughts first.

United States
              Member #161539
              December 3, 2014
              328 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2015, 8:08 am - IP Logged

It's time to move on ... going to quit while I'm behind ... that also goes for Mega Millions.

Going to work the 6/49 game in PA and play the MA 6/49 game.

I said in another forum that I like the Wild Card lotto game in Idaho ... odds are decent but you get two chances for $1. Would hope that the same game could come to PA ... a nice game for only a dollar.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #104962
                January 23, 2011
                1075 Posts
                Posted: April 12, 2015, 8:52 am - IP Logged

Imagine that....Same old usual places winning.  That ought to drive lottery sales down more.  Yet many people continue to over look that point,  and insist that isn't why people are losing interest.

Trump 2016!

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2015, 8:53 am - IP Logged

It's time to move on ... going to quit while I'm behind ... that also goes for Mega Millions.

I said in another forum that I like the Wild Card lotto game in Idaho ... odds are decent but you get two chances for $1. Would hope that the same game could come to PA ... a nice game for only a dollar.

Thumbs UpGood luck!

Trump 2016!

United States
                    Member #161539
                    December 3, 2014
                    328 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2015, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Thumbs UpGood luck!

Just to add ... it has never bothered me what state wins more jackpots ... to me, it's all about the odds ... I fully understand that the states that have a higher population will probably win more jackpots overall.

Each player has to decide where their money might finally bring in a winner ... I have played for many years waiting for Lady Luck to show up ... I feel now, more than ever, I have to work the odds and maybe LL will finally make an appearance.

It probably won't be the "huge" jackpot that I had always hoped for ... just have to scale it down a little.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5615 Posts
                      Posted: April 12, 2015, 9:19 am - IP Logged

In Texas, our 6/54 game has worse odds than MM or PB second prize tiers. And I would be very happy to win up to $5 million on MM, or even $1 million on PB (I megaply, but I don't powerplay).

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                        Member #161539
                        December 3, 2014
                        328 Posts
                        Posted: April 12, 2015, 9:40 am - IP Logged

In Texas, our 6/54 game has worse odds than MM or PB second prize tiers. And I would be very happy to win up to $5 million on MM, or even $1 million on PB (I megaply, but I don't powerplay).

Yes, that's a different situation ... a 6/54 game. I checked your state game out several months ago when I was searching around for all the states that had a 6/49 lotto game. I wouldn't like that game ... I'm glad for the PA 6/49 game with some better odds and also the MA Megabucks Doubler game.

However, there was one state, as I remember, that had a 6/43 game ... I didn't make any notes at the time and I just can't find that information anymore. The odds were much better in that game. Sure would like to know what state that was. The jackpot still seemed to be pretty good with less numbers ... but it may have been a smaller state where the jackpot might not get hit often.

It's amazing how one or two numbers less can affect the odds.

I think it was a 6/43 game but it might have been a 6/45 game matrix.

United States
                          Member #145267
                          August 1, 2013
                          1534 Posts
                          Posted: April 12, 2015, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Yes, it's time for me to move on too.  Tied of seeing the same places win over and over.  Too much money lose chasing after mm and pb.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: April 12, 2015, 11:13 am - IP Logged

I hope nobody feels sympathy for state lotteries. They keep $1 for every powerball ticket bought and most of the times the states don't even pay any second prize for weeks. And if you're late in claiming the jackpot, they say to you "sorry sir, it's the rules. No ticket, no claim"

Then when you win anything over $600, they hit you with taxes. I like to see players hitting the jp after 4 to 5 rolls.

That money's gone fo ever

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4111 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2015, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Yes, it's time for me to move on too.  Tied of seeing the same places win over and over.  Too much money lose chasing after mm and pb.

The ONLY remedy to your being " tired of seeing the same places win over and over " is for you to pick the Correct Numbers. What you are indirectly saying is that people who are paying for their tickets just as you are are not Worthy to be winners, because of the State they reside in. That is ridiculous!

Now had the winner used counterfeit money to pay for their tickets and won....

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.