Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When a winning ticket gets destroyed

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 1 year ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1182 Posts
Posted: June 14, 2015, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Don't think this is a discussion topic so much as a legal query. I've read many articles on what to do with a lottery ticket that's a winner and the advice that's invariably stated is to sign the ticket and then make copies of both sides. However, every lottery jackpot site I've read says that the ticket must be presented, photocopies are not accepted. 

So what happens if you have the winning ticket, but your house burns down with the ticket in it? Or you put it in a safety deposit box but there's a bank heist. 

What happens if your winning ticket is lost, stolen or destroyed but you have copies of it. I'll go so far as to say you signed the ticket and made copies in front of a notary. Would MUSL  accept the notarized copy if through no fault of your own, you cannot present the original ticket? 

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: June 14, 2015, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Don't think this is a discussion topic so much as a legal query. I've read many articles on what to do with a lottery ticket that's a winner and the advice that's invariably stated is to sign the ticket and then make copies of both sides. However, every lottery jackpot site I've read says that the ticket must be presented, photocopies are not accepted. 

So what happens if you have the winning ticket, but your house burns down with the ticket in it? Or you put it in a safety deposit box but there's a bank heist. 

What happens if your winning ticket is lost, stolen or destroyed but you have copies of it. I'll go so far as to say you signed the ticket and made copies in front of a notary. Would MUSL  accept the notarized copy if through no fault of your own, you cannot present the original ticket? 

It doesn't matter what the case may be. If the ticket is lost, stolen or completely destroyed to the extent the lottery commission cannot validate it you cannot claim. In fact, there was a case where the lottery commission in CA was on the hunt for the winner and they had him on camera making the purchase. He couldn't produce the actual ticket and so the money remained in the coffers.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4106 Posts
      Posted: June 14, 2015, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Lotto.net  posts the following..

What do I do if I lose my lotto ticket?

Most lotteries are not responsible for lost or stolen lotto tickets. It is strongly advised to sign the back of your lotto ticket after you purchase it to protect yourself from loss or theft.  If you don’t sign your ticket someone else can claim your lotto winnings. 

If you have lost a lotto ticket is it advised to contact the lotto you were playing and be able to provide them with information such as where and what time you bought the ticket from and what your chosen numbers were (and often useful if you know what else you bought at the same time). It is best to avoid situations like this by playing online so all your tickets are stored safely. 

**** Whether what they post is true- is another matter altogether.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bahamas
        Member #133462
        September 30, 2012
        5946 Posts
        Posted: June 14, 2015, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Lotto.net  posts the following..

What do I do if I lose my lotto ticket?

Most lotteries are not responsible for lost or stolen lotto tickets. It is strongly advised to sign the back of your lotto ticket after you purchase it to protect yourself from loss or theft.  If you don’t sign your ticket someone else can claim your lotto winnings. 

If you have lost a lotto ticket is it advised to contact the lotto you were playing and be able to provide them with information such as where and what time you bought the ticket from and what your chosen numbers were (and often useful if you know what else you bought at the same time). It is best to avoid situations like this by playing online so all your tickets are stored safely. 

**** Whether what they post is true- is another matter altogether.

NG this might prove the best case scenario if your ticket is lost or stolen. Someone else attempting to make a claim where you can in turn prove it was your ticket often results in you collecting the win. If the ticket is never found however, the lottery has under no circumstances to date paid out a claim.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4106 Posts
          Posted: June 14, 2015, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

NG this might prove the best case scenario if your ticket is lost or stolen. Someone else attempting to make a claim where you can in turn prove it was your ticket often results in you collecting the win. If the ticket is never found however, the lottery has under no circumstances to date paid out a claim.

Yeah But O.B- Teddi is saying what if " Your home burnt down" with not only your ticket, but your worldly possessions? l fail to see how the Lottery would attempt to deny your claim. lf as she said copies of her ticket were made and got herself an aggressive Attorney...Her making Copies of the winning ticket is proof that she is the owner, unless someone else can produce another winning ticket.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bahamas
            Member #133462
            September 30, 2012
            5946 Posts
            Posted: June 14, 2015, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

All Terminal game prizes must be claimed at a Florida Lottery retailer or Florida Lottery district office on or before the 180th day after the winning drawing. All Scratch-Off game prizes must be claimed at a Florida Lottery retailer or Lottery office on or before the 60th day after the official end of the game. For faster payment, Florida Lottery winners should complete the information on the back of their winning ticket and take it to any retailer for validation. The ticket issued is the only valid receipt for claiming a prize

Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4106 Posts
              Posted: June 14, 2015, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

All Terminal game prizes must be claimed at a Florida Lottery retailer or Florida Lottery district office on or before the 180th day after the winning drawing. All Scratch-Off game prizes must be claimed at a Florida Lottery retailer or Lottery office on or before the 60th day after the official end of the game. For faster payment, Florida Lottery winners should complete the information on the back of their winning ticket and take it to any retailer for validation. The ticket issued is the only valid receipt for claiming a prize

You not seriously suggesting that you would accept that decision from the lottery should your home burn down with your winning ticket going up in flames as well..or are you O.B Wan? I can see many lawyers willing to step up to the plate and go to bat for you regardless.Many want to make a name for themselves by taking on the big Boys. After all OB- who in their right mind will willingly torch their home along with their winning ticket,whether it be a dive or not?

Bahamas
                Member #133462
                September 30, 2012
                5946 Posts
                Posted: June 14, 2015, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

You not seriously suggesting that you would accept that decision from the lottery should your home burn down with your winning ticket going up in flames as well..or are you O.B Wan? I can see many lawyers willing to step up to the plate and go to bat for you regardless.Many want to make a name for themselves by taking on the big Boys. After all OB- who in their right mind will willingly torch their home along with their winning ticket,whether it be a dive or not?

NG it was your home state who launched a manhunt for the winner who they had on camera. Plastered his image all over the news media and when he came in with his sob story they read the rules and denied the claim. In its statement, the lottery commission acknowledged that he purchased the winning ticket. Today, he's still working pay check to pay check. When we play the game we play according to these established rules. Again, there is no precedent to date that has gone against these rules. In fact, I have seen the opposite. A case in New York where someone else collected winnings from a scratch off game and the winner fought to get his entitlement. The lottery was not about to pay twice and did nothing to assist him in recovering the monies from the fraudulent claim. Lawyers were involved there too.

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1182 Posts
                  Posted: June 14, 2015, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I did read about a person who won but who was denied because he couldn't find the ticket. But in a way I agree with them because a person purchasing a ticket doesn't prove it's theirs. He could have been buying it for someone else, for example. I think that's the reason a signature is required because possession doesn't necessarily prove ownership. Maybe I should take the word "lost" out of the equation because I would agree with the lottery that they shouldn't be responsible for someone's negligence.

But if your ticket is destroyed through no fault of your own, because you're in Texas and your house got flooded, or you live in Kansas and a twister destroyed your entire town, or your house exploded because of a gas leak, but luckily, you kept a signed and notorized copy of the ticket in a secondary location and you could produce that along with security video showing you bought the ticket, would MUSL really still deny the claim? 

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4106 Posts
                    Posted: June 14, 2015, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

NG it was your home state who launched a manhunt for the winner who they had on camera. Plastered his image all over the news media and when he came in with his sob story they read the rules and denied the claim. In its statement, the lottery commission acknowledged that he purchased the winning ticket. Today, he's still working pay check to pay check. When we play the game we play according to these established rules. Again, there is no precedent to date that has gone against these rules. In fact, I have seen the opposite. A case in New York where someone else collected winnings from a scratch off game and the winner fought to get his entitlement. The lottery was not about to pay twice and did nothing to assist him in recovering the monies from the fraudulent claim. Lawyers were involved there too.

True- but if l am not mistaken the person you referring to O.B showed up at the lottery HQ with no copies of his  missing ticket. His only  claim was " that's me in the picture there buying my ticket".. That's the difference here bud. According to Teddi, photocopies are made to make a legitimate claim to a ticket that has gone up in flames.Having copies is winning half the battle because at least you have something. 

Bahamas
                      Member #133462
                      September 30, 2012
                      5946 Posts
                      Posted: June 14, 2015, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

True- but if l am not mistaken the person you referring to O.B showed up at the lottery HQ with no copies of his  missing ticket. His only  claim was " that's me in the picture there buying my ticket".. That's the difference here bud. According to Teddi, photocopies are made to make a legitimate claim to a ticket that has gone up in flames.Having copies is winning half the battle because at least you have something. 

I cannot point to a specific precedent where the lottery commission denied a claim under these circumstances. I can only site the current rules. From what I have read and posted the LC will only accept the actual ticket issued from the terminal as proof. I just encourage every player to store their tickets in a safe place, sign it immediately after purchase and have enough monies for Xanax should your ticket get destroyed.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: June 15, 2015, 1:34 am - IP Logged

"l fail to see how the Lottery would attempt to deny your claim."

Maybe it will make sense once you figure out that it's not the lottery's fault that you don't have the ticket that the official rules say is required in order to claim a prize.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                          South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #77167
                          July 15, 2009
                          554 Posts
                          Posted: June 15, 2015, 8:40 am - IP Logged

True story-a guy in our office pool was making copies of our pool tickets on a printer at his  desk.  One of the original tickets rolled out black on the front.  He called the lottery office and gave them the numbers from the back of the ticket. They re-issued him another ticket-and he lived to see another day--lol

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4106 Posts
                            Posted: June 15, 2015, 10:30 am - IP Logged

"l fail to see how the Lottery would attempt to deny your claim."

Maybe it will make sense once you figure out that it's not the lottery's fault that you don't have the ticket that the official rules say is required in order to claim a prize.

And just maybe .. it will make sense to all of us if we had on record an incident where a winner did not have the Original ticket but presented a copy to the LC and found out what their response was... huh Floyd? After all, what would be the point of making photocopies of any lottery ticket you buy IF you know you not going to be paid out on it?

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1182 Posts
                              Posted: June 15, 2015, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

True story-a guy in our office pool was making copies of our pool tickets on a printer at his  desk.  One of the original tickets rolled out black on the front.  He called the lottery office and gave them the numbers from the back of the ticket. They re-issued him another ticket-and he lived to see another day--lol

Well now, I think this puts a whole new light on this and changes everything, because if the LC can reprint and replace a damaged ticket and it's something they've done before, then there really is no reason for them not to do so again in the event a damaged ticket is a jackpot winner. Having precedence is a great legal foothold to have. 

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.